Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|OOC OK] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|OOC OK] (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|OOC OK] - Kage - 04-14-2014

((Too long for the bulletin board so I'm making a short thing))

The slouched Lalafellin form sat at a table near the bar in the airship landing strip of Ul'dah. Kage sat with his back against the chair, his shield arm in a sling and cloth wrapped around his forehead. His arm was cradled near his chest as he tapped softly on the table with his uninjured arm.

It was all his fault.

Natalie's letters told him that she didn't blame him. Did Kayah? Did Kayah not blame him too? Or did Kayah blame Kage for the argument that Natalie and Kayah had had. Did he blame Kage for not being there as his head was kicked in and for not stopping the Roegadyn from sliding a dagger into Kayah's back.

Tears slid off the Lalafell's face as his headache worsened, from both emotional and physical pain. The uninjured hand slipped into his shirt, grabbing a pouch that contained a tonic inside. He took off the stopper and drank its contents. It was a mild pain-relieving medicine he had gotten from the infirmary. He knew Denn had trusted Remi but he didn’t know Remi much at all. He remembered her from the night at the NB HQ when Roen revealed her secret but that meeting was just as passing as knowing Stanzie or some of the other members of NB. From what he gathered she was from Grim, allies of NB. He just didn’t know any of the group much at all except for Natalie, Roen, Kayah, and… Denn. Denn who hurt him a bit, who he had been suspicious about given how she fit Kayah’s Roegadyn attacker so well. But she had come upon him and saved him. Denn had brought him and Ruru to Remi…

Kage eyed the contents of the small glasses set before him. They were filled with an amber colored liquid, some brandy. Kage usually favored ales but right now… Right now.. A hand shot out, taking a glass as he knocked his head back and swallowed  the alcohol. The burning sensation helped a little before he knocked down two other shots in succession. The nausea he had felt earlier ebbed away as he started to feel the effects of the pain-reliever as well as the three shots of brandy. Closing his eyes, he leaned his head back against the chair, as he slammed a clenched fist onto the table top.

What had happened? Just what had happened?

RE: Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|Fin] - Kage - 04-14-2014

[[Some time before finding Kage at the bar…]]

Suri’s words bothered him. He needed to be careful, but from whom? The gang wore masks and were covered heavily. Who would he need to be careful of? Ul’dah’s streets were dangerous but he needed to keep his eyes and ears out for any information. He hadn’t reported anything but that there was an attack on the night of the ball near the Alchemists’ Guild. No one but a few should know of Kayah’s state. He had found Lambert earlier in the day speaking as if he knew, but Lambert shouldn’t know. Kage had told him he better keep his mouth shut. Lambert… Kage didn’t know what was up with that Miqo’te but right now he didn’t need to. Nor did he want to.

Suri warned him to stay away from his usual places, specifically the Quicksand. Everyone knew they could find him there and that was where she grabbed him before speaking with him in private. Lapsing so very often, he had sometimes been in Ruby Road Exchange a lot, right outside of the Quicksand. Or… right inside of Quicksand. A few times.

Today was a change of pace. After taking a small stop at the aetheryte near the Alchemists’  Guild, Kage was leaving Hustings Strip towards Pearl Lane, giving a nod to the two Lalafell in Brass Blades uniform. Just as he nodded, he heard a sound from behind him. Turning, he saw a masked female Miqo’te monk trying to sweep him off his feet. He jumped, side-stepping and putting a wall to his back. The two Brass Blades that he had just nodded to paid him no mind.

Drawing his sword and shield, Kage growled. “You! You’re one of the ones who attacked Kayah aren’t you?”

There was no response. At least, not a verbal one. Not even the Brass Blades showed any reaction but just kept watching Pearl Lane. Kage silently cursed the corrupt as he narrowed his eyes, swiping at the attacker’s legs with his sword. She evaded his attack and in response flipped over him to his other side. She tried to deliver a swift kick to Kage’s head but he tucked into a roll, moving under and forward away from the blow. He came to his feet swiftly, and charged in close, trying to use his shield to knock her off her feet, hard.

The masked attacker dodged his charge, taking Kage off his feet and in rapid succession, slammed his head into the cobblestone floor. Dazed, Kage yelled out, “Ger’ offa me!”  He reversed his grip on his sword, swinging his arm behind him in an attempt to stab his attacker in the stomach. Seeing his attack she replaced her hold on his head by moving to lock his sword arm. In another move, she took hold of his shield arm and snapped his arm.

“GARRGHK!!” Kage roared in pain. Blood dripped down his head as he bucked at his attacker and staggered to his feet. He was dazed, his head pounded and the sharp stinging in the arm he cradled close to his chest was almost overwhelming.

He didn’t see that the Miqo’te was going to finish it with a deathly blow, one that was going smash his head in.

“Get off of him!” Kage heard. No… No…

“Ruru! Wait! No don’t-!” Kage couldn’t. He couldn’t stop it.

“No one else is dying! Not today!”

Ruru came forward, weapons drawn and charging at Kage’s attacker. He couldn’t stop it as the Miqo’te turned and the blow meant to smash Kage’s skull in contacted with one of Ruru’s eyes.

Kage saw that Ruru was dazed, and most likely completely out of it. With slanted and narrowed eyes, head pounding, Kage staggered forward placing his body between his attacker and Ruru. His shield lay on the cobblestone floor and the arm he carried it with was craddled against his body. His eyes drooped as he glared at the Miqo’te.

She cursed and before Kage could do anything else she teleported away.

Kage dropped to his knees bringing a finger to his ear. “If anyone… any healers are near Quicksand… on Pearl Lane.. help. Ruru’s.. hurt.” Kage fell flat on his face, the thump being heard over the linkshell. He groaned and turned to his side to see Ruru’s eye a mess. His eyes rolled as the overwhelming pain sent him unconscious.

RE: Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|Fin] - Kage - 04-15-2014

((All done by memory so.. not as good. :<))

His head hurt, the pounding still not receding from when he got slammed into the floor. His breath came out in hard, quick wheezing pants. He heard voices… a new one he’d not heard before. A female?

“Ruru… Ruru ok?”

Through drooped eyes and the drying blood, Kage could see a pink haired female Miqo’te before him. His own familiar with aetheric manipulation allowed him to see that she was the only to give his head some small relief, enough so that he could get Ruru and himself to the infirmary. He could get them there.. It’d hurt, but it could be done.

His ears caught onto a voice he recognized. A female’s… a familiar female Roegadyn’s voice. He winced in pain as he asked, “Denn? Why…”

He was shushed as he heard her tell the Miqo’te that she wasn’t of much help. That he’d needed healing not an egi. He tried to give Denn a glare, feeling the the pain that he’d felt the night of the ball. “Na.. Nat told me...”

Kage was hushed once again, this time in a firmer voice. She told him that she’d take him and Ruru to get healed. “No. No… Can get healed s’mwhere else.”

Denn disagreed with him once more, telling him she’d take them to the NB HQ. Kage stopped protesting, remembering how they’d helped Natalie and Kayah before with other things. NB was safe… that would be good.. it would be better than going to the healers in the infirmary.

Nodding in acceptance, Denn teleported the three to the HQ. Carried by Denn, Kage realized that she hadn’t walked into the NB HQ but instead to a different house in the ward. Denn placed him on a couch as he saw that a female Miqo’te in a robe was waiting for them. Ah… Remi? He believe it was. She was there at NB HQ when Nat had placed manacles on Roen as they got her to reveal what she thought was so bad. She was a healer?

“Ruru’s eye… be saved?” Kage murmured. He wanted to know. He needed to know.

He closed his eyes at the pain he felt, his arm still cradled closely to his chest. Some of the blood had caked and dried. He could hear that Ruru was most likely going to be losing an eye but… it felt like Kage’s stomach had been gutted with a fist.

This was all his fault.

“Denn carry him downstairs, I’ve got the supplies there.”

Kage saw that Denn was concerned with Ruru. He was too. Oh by the Twelve he was too. It was all his fault. Suri had told him that he was in danger and by the Twelve, Ruru saved his life at the cost of his own eye it seemed. Ruru was injured because of him. Denn hadn’t moved quite yet so Kage slowly got off the couch and made his way down where he saw Remi went. He staggered and swayed, bracing himself against a wall with his uninjured arm.

“Denn, I said to carry Kage downstairs but if you can’t bring down the right Lalafell, at least bring down the other!”

Remi motioned for Kage to take a seat on a bed, “That armor’s got to get taken off, it’s in the way.”

Kage nodded as Remi helped him take off his surcoat and gauntlets carefully. The act jostled and jarred his arm and pain shot up once more as he grit his teeth. Denn made her way down with Ruru in tow.

“What in the hell happened here anyway?” Remi asked.

Denn answered, “I was just leaving Quicksand after a few drinks when I came upon these two hurt.”

Kage slowly nodded his head, “Was… gonna just go to the Infirmary but Denn said she’d take us to the Night Blades HQ.”

Denn shook her head, “Last I heard, they wanted to kill me.”

Kage frowned, looking at her with narrowed eyes, “What? Denn we need to talk about things, like the ball for one.”

Denn disagreed with him, shaking her head once more. “We’ll talk about that later. I’m gonna go, it’s too close to the NB.”

Kage frowned, but Remi was the one to say something. “What? Denn you can’t just ask me for a favor and then drop two wounded Lalafell on my lap!”

“That’s why I asked for a favor!”

Before anyone could say anything, Denn ran up the stairs and away from them. Kage winced once more, cracking some of the dried blood on his head. He groaned as Remi brought out an acrid smelling liquid and helped clean his wounds. After wrapping his head, she took a look at his snapped arm.

“At least it’s a clean break… We can set it but it’s painful. I can put you under but it’ll be for a few hours.”

A few hours? Kage had an idea about Remi but he certainly did not trust her. She was helping him a lot for sure, but this wasn’t even the Night Blades HQ. He did not want to be here any longer than he needed to be. “No… no I can take the pain. Just do it.”

Remi took a small bit of leather and rolled it into a tube. She offered it, “Bite into this.”

Kage sighed and took the bit with his uninjured hand before placing it in his mouth. He bit into it. He gave Remi a nod.

“I’d give you a count but then you’d be ready for it…” Remi took hold of Kage’s snapped arm and Kage didn’t say anything else but nodded once more.

In a quick span of maybe three seconds, Remi snapped Kage’s arm back into place with a sickening crunch sound. “MMMMGHHHRRRKK!!!” Kage bit into the leather piece, his eyes rolling a bit before he closed them. He panted a bit, opening his eyes and mouth so that the leather bit dropped into his lap. His breath was ragged.

“Do you want to let this heal magically or naturally?” Remi asked Kage. He closed his eyes thinking about what it meant. To heal it magically would mean he would not need to worry about not having his shield.. but it would make the break weak. If he let it heal naturally, the break would be able reform. If it was truly needed, at least the reformation would be strong as a magical healing would finish it cleanly and quickly. If need be, using it while injured would make it strong but easy to break.

As Remi then moved to help Ruru, Kage thought about what his next course of action was going to be. He would need to keep Natalie appraised of the situation but he didn’t think he was going to be of much use in Ul’dah injured as he was. He would need to put in a request for medical leave with Ser Jenlyns… and he’d need to send Natalie a letter.

Kage refocused as Remi fixed his arm into a sling. He said his thanks, slowly and carefully picking up his weapons and equipment with his uninjured arm. “Thank you, again. Thank you.”

“Now if you don’t need to be somewhere, can you tell me what the hell happened?” Remi asked.

Kage paused and closed his eyes. He murmured out his answer. “Kayah got attacked the night of the ball, I came up just as he got stabbed in the back. I think the attack was meant to silence me.”

“Who’s Kayah?”

“Kayah is a dear friend of mine… it doesn’t matter. I don’t know anything more than that. Thank you, again, for all your help.”

“Take care of that arm.”

Kage nodded to Remi, as he walked upstairs and out of the house. He winced, sweat dropping down his neck as he pulled a shard out with his injured arm. He closed his eyes and exhausted himself as he teleported to the Ul’dahn Aetheryte Plaza. He side-eyed the Brass Blades guarding the plaza but gave them a small, courteous nod. Corruption was rampant but not all Blades were.

He slowly made his way to Captain Jenlyns’s office. Presenting himself, as straight as he could without swaying, Kage opened his mouth but he was cut off.

“Ser Kiryuu? What happened to you?”

Kage saluted as best as he could with his arm in a sling and answered, “Was attacked Ser, as I walked through Hustings Strip to Pearl Lane. Had my head bashed and the arm was snapped, Ser.”

Jenlyns shook his head, “By the Twelve that looks nasty. Magic won’t do you as much good as rest would be. I assume you took a stop at the Infirmary?”

Kage shook his head in the negative, “No Ser. I.. wanted to request some medical leave Ser. I’ll head to the Infirmary if need be.”

The captain shook his head and answered, “You’ll have it Ser Kiryuu. Nasty business so soon after you helped guard her Grace and after you were sworn. Go to the Infirmary and get some pain-relieving potions. That looks like your head took a pounding from the floor and you’ll need time for that arm to set.”

Kage winced slightly and nodded, “Will do Ser. Thank you.”

Kage took one last detour. His head pounded and he had to force himself from hitting the pavement once more. He wrote out a letter, cursing how small the mail he could send through the Delivery Moogles must be.

Quote:Info is solid. Almost died today. Had my head smashed and arm in a sling. Denn came by and brought me to Remi to get healed. Ruru saved my life. His eye, it's gone. No clues on who the miqo'te who attacked me was

Dropping his equipment on the floor, Kage took two steps before he collapsed on his bed unconscious and exhausted.

RE: Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|OOC OK] - Kage - 04-16-2014

The beep in his ear was familiar. It was the Friends of Momodi linkshell. Kage brought a finger to his ear to listen. Several voices rang over the linkshell that Natalie found. Now… well now Natalie was out and she’d broken her pearl the same night she left. The voices were of course familiar.

"Evening, everyone." That was Chokho Viqqoh, a friend of Salem Nunh’s that Kage found was quite enjoyable to be around even if her jokes were bad.

“Evening,” answered Altima. She was an interesting Miqo’te. Altima sometimes put Kage on edge because of her axe but he knew she was a good one. He wished she wasn’t so adamant about sparring with him though. It was intimidating.

Another voice, one he wasn’t so familiar with rang as well. "Evening, Chokho. You wanted to speak with me about something?"

Chokho answered, "I did! You available?"

"GOOD MORNVENING" That was Marrow.

The same voice who he didn’t recognize answered, "Yeah, I am. Where would you like to meet up?"

Closing his eyes, Kage mumbled softly. "Evening..."

Chokho answered the voice, "I'm in the quickand now. That seems like a good starting point."

Altima asked, "y-you're alive kage?"

The voice answered, "Alright, I'll be over in a few."

"Perfect! Kage, you can pass word on to Nat that I need to talk to her, too.” Chokho once again.

Kage frowned at Altima’s question. He didn’t know she had heard… How did she know something had happened to him? He spoke into the pearl, "Oh. I assumed no one was on to hear my call since... only a pink female haired Miqo'te answered it." He paused, thinking about what to tell Chokho.

"Natalie is currently indisposed. You won't see her for awhile," Kage answered.

Chokho asked, "How long is a while?"

"I apologize, I didn't have my linkpearl with me..." came from Altima.

Kage answered, "A few days at the very least. It’s ok Altima. I live.”

Chokho asked, "Anything to do with ceruleum?"

Kage paused. "Sorry Chokho, I'm not at liberty to answer."

Marrow wanted to know, "...is she alright?"

"Right, well I'm going to be up to my eyeballs in the stuff, so you go ahead and let her - or any other concerned Sultansworn know," said Chokho.

"I'm currently on medical leave, and Natalie is on leave as well."

"I'll bring it up with Roen directly, then."

"But I'll meet with you too. Roen's got things she needs to deal with."

"I am ENTIRELY aware of what Roen has to deal with."

At this Kage gave a pause and narrowed his eyes. What exactly was Chokho up to? What did she know? He needed to find out. "I won't speak of it in the public but I'm going to ask you directly how you are."

"We've all got a case of tight lips, it seems."

Naz said over the linkshell, "I just hate talking on this thing."

Kage walked around, looking for Chokho who had said she was in the area of the Quicksand. "Cho, I've been walking around Quicksand. Where are you."

"...I'm so confused...why does all this pimmcred happen when I'm not around..." said Marrow.

Chokho answered, "I'll be along in a bit. I've got another important conversation on my plate."

Kage sighed. The Quicksand was bustling with people, drinking and conversing. His usual spot atop of the rail was crowded with people milling about there. Close to the entrance, the railing was clear of people so Kage perched on top, waiting for Chokho to arrive.

Chokho Viqqoh grinned tauntingly at Kage, “Hey buddy.”

“Cho." Kage gave the female Miqo’te a nod.

Unseen by Kage whose back was turned to the entrance, Roen Deneith walked into the Quicksand, her grey eyes scanning the patrons in it.

Chokho asked Kage, “How you feeling?” before her eyes caught sight of Roen. She smiled at Roen. Roen herself spotted the small Lalafellin form of Kage, and her eyes narrowed at the sight of him.

Chokho waved to someone behind Kage and said, “Ro right? From the ball?”

‘Ro?’ Kage thought. Then he realized who it might be but hoped it wasn’t. He knew she would not like what she saw… and heard. Especially if Natalie did tell her to check up on him… He looked around. He winced at the sight of Roen, knowing that he was most likely in some trouble. He was unable to hide the fact that his arm was in a sling and the bandages wrapped around his bruised head.

Roen blinked at Chokho’s question. "Oh. Yes. Um... Cho...?"

"Roen..." Kage mumbled as Chokho nodded to Roen. Roen glanced between Kage and Chokho both.

Chokho answered, “Cho. Good to see you well.”

Kage had already known that the Quicksand was not the venue in which he wanted to speak with Chokho, but he knew that linkshells were not the most private channels of communication. He hadn’t wanted to ask Chokho to meet him somewhere he thought would give them privacy. He suggested, "Perhaps we can take this somewhere privately... Roen, Cho seemed to have some information that worried me... about what you're dealing with."

Roen nodded to Chokho. "How is Naz...?" She asked politely, although her eyes wandered back to Kage and his... injuries. Chokho smiled at Roen before Roen blinked at Kage’s remark.

"What... -I- am dealing with?" She asked. She gave Kage a pointed look at his injury, emphasis on Kage.

Chokho remarked, “HE'LL be fine. Kage has a good head on his shoulders.” She pointed her next question to Roen, “How about you?”

Kage winced and murmured at Roen’s pointed glance, "You've got a lot to deal with...But we should head somewhere private. I don't think this should be out in the public."

Chokho nodded in response to Kage’s suggestion. Roen glanced to them both, wondering how and when this became about her. "Um. Alright. Aye, let us talk somewhere more private..."

Kage walked closer to Roen first, cupping a side of his mouth and whispered, “We should head to the airship bar.” He blinked before turning to face Chokho once more. He whispered the same words that he had given to Roen, “We should head to the airship bar.”

Kage turned and looked around, checking the patrons before he started to exit the Quicksand. Looking behind him, he could see Chokho and Roen following behind him. His eyes scanned around them, trying to make sure it was safe. From behind him he could hear Chokho ask Roen, “So how ya been?” Chokho grinned at Roen as Roen gave both Kage and Chokho an odd look while she followed them.

Having made their way to the tables situated in the airship docking area, Kage worried his lip as they stopped. Chokho grinned tauntingly at Roen while Roen narrowed her eyes. It was an expectant look at them both and Kage worked hard not to fidget.

Roen gestured to one of the chairs. "You should sit Kage. You are hurt." She didn’t leave room for argument. Kage bit his lip and nodded, taking a seat in one of the chairs.

“Not like you to get hurt so bad, Kage. Sultansworn must be keeping dangerous enemies, these days,” said Chokho.

Roen gave him a stern look. She was about to say something... then gave Chokho a look herself.

Kage knew Roen would want to talk to him about he was hurt. Natalie did say she had sent Roen a letter after all. But he was worried about what Chokho may or may not know about Roen. How did she know? What did she know?

"Let's not talk about that.. Cho you mentioned something you thought the Sultansworn? Ceruleum? And something about knowing what Roen has to deal with?" He frowned.

Roen blinked, there was an odd expression before she turned back to Kage. "Wait Kage, how did you- she paused again and raised her brows.

Chokho retorted, “You don't hide a ceruleum explosion.”

Kage narrowed his eyes. How did Chokho know anything about their involvement in it. The only thing people should know was that there was an explosion of ceruleum at the Nanawa mines. As far as he knew, Natalie never reported it or her involvement in it.

Trying to fish for information Kage let loose, “We never reported that..."

Chokho scoffed, “It's an EXPLOSION. They EXPLODE.” She failed to understand Kage, throwing her hands up into the air a little.

Roen said, "What..? Oh. Um. Right." She gave Kage a sidelong glance. "Aye, I heard about that... explosion..." She cleared her throat. It was clear that Roen was such a terrible liar.

Kage wanted to try to deflect the situation and asked, "So how do you know who's involved?"

Roen asked, "What do you know about that?" She pressed her lips together.

Chokho just replied, “I should hope so. I imagine you know a thing or two about Hroch, Shae, and the rest too.

At Chokho’s remark, Roen coughed very loudly. "Um... what??

Based on Roen’s reaction, he knew that those named must have been involved somehow. Were one or all of them at the mines? Was one of them the old man who was gravely injured falling off the platform? Kage couldn’t hide his reaction to Roen, widening his eyes.Chokho shrugged, not able to understand him.

“Who?” Kage asked. Who where they? Roen stared with wide eyes at Chokho. Kage continued, “I don’t know these names…” He glanced at Roen, hoping to find some hint. She only continued to just stare at Chokho, mouth agape.

“You're not a secret-keeping organization,” commented Chokho. What did she know? How did she know of anything?

"How do you know these names?" Roen asked, directing Chokho with a strange look.

Kage shook his head. He knew that these people must be involved but he had no idea. "No... I actually don't know these names." He looks around. "But yes, an explosion I do know."

Chokho sighed and asked, “ ...Does everyone really think I just sit around the Quicksand all day for NO good reason?” She looked stumped.

"But they..." Roen continued to stare. Then slowly her eyes narrowed. "Cho. Why are you telling me this?"

Chokho answered, “Because there are people who are concerned for you. And if I found out considering I'm NOT a part of your games imagine who else is going to find out.”

Kage’s heart dropped. It felt like his head was being pounded into the floor again. Who was talking? Natalie wasn’t. He wasn’t. The people from the… Night Blades? Surely not. If they were in the know, they would not go about like this, Kage was sure of it. Who was this person? Who are these people?

Roen paled a little. "How much... do you know?"

Chokho shook her head, disagreeing with Roen. She said, “The fact that I've heard talk is bad enough. Let's not make that chatter any louder, alright?”

Kage frowned. Just who was talking? The people that Roen has met before? Garleans? The Rose? Who? He turned to Roen. "Roen, I wanted to talk to Chokho because she said something like this over the linkshell. I wanted to see what it was about."

Kage didn’t know what to say. This… Who was talking and who was Chokho talking about it with?

Roen shook her head, still a look of disbelief lingering on her face. Chokho continued to speak. “Information has ALWAYS been my business. But I'm not in in for the coin... I, and other's choosing to remain nameless, are concerned for your well being.”

Roen trained her gaze onto Chokho. "You still have not said what you want." Her voice lowered.

Grinning tauntingly, Chokho answered simply. “You. Safe.”

Kage’s voice almost turned with a hint of… something. "Cho, it's very important that you please let us know everything that deals with Roen at least." His voice was low as his injured arm shook. "I don't want to see her hurt or get hurt."

Chokho stated, “The hedonist who only wants gold is as much a lie as my incompotence.”

Roen blinked. "And... there is -another- that knows as you do?"

Chokho nodded at Roen’s question, answering, “Ah ah, at LEAST one other. I know this when I shouldn't... but the trouble is I don't know ENOUGH. Not enough to help.”

Kage wanted to slam his shield against Chokho, to force her to answer who was talking. How was she hearing about it. From whom? Who was this person working behind Chokho in the shadows? He trusted Chokho but he couldn’t trust this other person. Not when Roen was in danger. Not when hers were in danger. No… He couldn’t trust who might be making Chokho their puppet. But how… Roen gave Kage a glance, looking at the very least like she had been the one he had slammed a shield against and stunned.

“Who…?” Roen questioned.

Kage shook his head. He never spoke of it, knowing how sensitive it may be. “I never… I never spoke of it.” Kage got up to pace. Back, and forth, back and forth. Kage walked back and forth trying to make heads or tails of it all

Chokho nodded to Kage saying, “If you're all so easily rattled, you need this plugged.”

Kage was stumped. Chokho was right. Whoever was talking… whoever this person or group was… Something needed to be stopped. How did Chokho know??

“This..." Kage nodded his head. "Cho... I can't... I can only send Natalie letters by moogle mail."

Chokho shook her head clarifying, “I was only looking for Natalie because I didn't think I'd get a chance to speak to Ro directly.”

Kage continued, "She'd broken her linkpearl the night of the ball. Lots of things happened that night..." He lifted his injured arm into the air. "This related."

Chokho shot back, “I don't care about the sultansworn and I don't care about your three-... ah... contacts, we'll call them.” Chokho pointed at Roen. “I care about YOU.”

Kage shook his head. This wasn’t Sultansworn related no, but that was because as far as he knew Natalie had never reported any involvement in it. All anyone should have known was that there was an unexplained explosion of ceruleum at the Nanawa Mines. Kage Kiryuu looked up at Roen, worry and concern in his eyes.

Chokho continued, “Well more specifically, other parties care about you. And they have something I want, so…”

Roen narrowed her eyes as Chokho looked like she was thinking about something. Kage was definitely trying to think about what to make of what Chokho was saying. Someone wanted info, but they didn’t tell Chokho everythin. It didn’t make sense, it was clearly not Natalie. It wasn’t Kage. The Night Blades? No, Kage was sure they would have just asked Roen. Someone had told Chokho about some of the stuff Roen was involved in, but not everything. So this person must not know everything… were they fishing for information? Someone pretending to be on Roen’s side?

Chokho proposed, “So here's what I'm proposing. Let me in. Tell me everything you know, so I can do my work alongside you instead of behind your backs... Which, I think I've proven I can do fairly well.”

“The Sultansworn don't have as tight a hold on information as you'd think.”

Kage Kiryuu bit his lip and looked up to Roen, it was her story to tell and who to trust. While he trusted Chokho, someone was working behind Chokho. He shook his head, "The Sultansworn don't have anything to do with it..." He looked around. "This isn't as private as I'd hoped.”

Kage got left the table area, walking about the lobby seeing a person dressed in Brass Blades garb. He’d had a hard time with them lately. Roen Deneith pressed her lips in a tight line. "How do you I know one you work for is someone I can trust?"

“Nothing, eh?” Chokho Viqqoh smirked confidently at Roen Deneith.

Roen shook her head. "I have trusted the -wrong- people in the past." She narrowed her eyes. "I will not make that same mistake again."

Chokho took that moment to look at Roen, thinking as Roen continued, "Who is this other party?"

Kage stared at the Brass Blades. Tall and appeared to be Roegadyn under the full uniform. The Brass Blades didn’t say anything. Perhaps not paying attention?

Chokho shook her head, disagreeing with Roen, “Anonynimity is -powerful-. I can't give that up... But consider what someone would do in this situation if they WANTED to harm you... I'll give you a hint, it doesn't include selectively biting their tongue in front of another sultansworn.”

Chokho smirked at Roen. Roen returned her gaze, steel in her grey eyes. She curled her fingers closed. She blinked at what Chokho was saying.

Chokho gave in some, “ I'll message them. See how much they're willing to reveal”

"You already seem to know... more than I ever thought anyone would." She frowns. "What else do you wish to know?" asked Roen.

“You can tell me everything, and I can work from there... As you can guess: I've got a knack for information... and I'd LIKE to be able to use that FOR you,” Chokho answered.

Kage rubbed his face with the palm of his uninjured hand. He stared into Chokho’s face, pondering what was really going on here. Chokho was genuine, she wanted to help. But telling her everything? Kage was pretty sure she was being used but he didn’t know if he could tell her that. Roen looked down, then glanced to Kage.

Chokho started to say something and Kage bit his lip, “I should probably make clear... If you don't WANT to work alongside me... that's fine. I'm not going to blow the lid or whip out daggers or something.”

“It's really just a matter if I'm going to be working alongside you to help you, or behind your back to help you,” she finished.

"I..." Roen swallowed, clearly hesitant. "I need to know who you are working for. You... you -are- friend of Naz."

Chokho burst out laughing, “What, you think NAZ has this sort of subtlety?”

"No but..." Roen paused and sighed, "I need to know the other party. If I can trust them, then I can trust you." She hook her head. "There is too much at risk. I cannot... make the same mistake again."

Chokho answered, “Fair enough. I can only assume they want to stay anonymous for a reason, so.... I'll ask them, and very likely return to working on this alone.”

Kage glanced at Roen, concern shining in his eyes.

"You say you are working for... my safety," Roen said. "Then you know who I am dealing with." She leveled her gaze on Chokho.

Chokho nodded, “Let's say I have some indication... but not the -entire- story. Yet. When I got so deep into this mess, I figured I'd come to you directly.”

Roen blinked, canting her head. "Deep into this mess. I..." She stopped herself. "I need to think this over. Ask your employer. Then we will talk."

Chokho nodded and answered, “f they say no, should I bother coming back to you?”

"You have to understand why we're so hesitant,” Kage stated.

“No, it's fair... It's not the -smart- play, but it's fair,” came the retort.

Roen regarded her with a cool stare. "...We should still talk." Chokho nodded in affirmation to Roen’s suggestion. Roen continued, “You know... a lot." She searched the miqo'te's eyes. "Perhaps you -can- help me."

Chokho grinned, “I know a lot, and that was based off what you DIDN'T share with me. Imagine how far I can -actually- go.”

Roen gave Kage a glance then regarded Chokho. She really knew nothing about this woman. She narrowed her eyes pondering over what Chokho had said. Kage watched Chokho, not blinking. This entire conversation was unnerving. He didn’t like the idea of Roen having another unknown factor in her troubles.

“Anyway, I am CRAZY thirsty so I'm gonna head back to the quicksand. I'm in this mix one way or another. Whether you want to be able to keep on eye on me or not is up to you,” grinned Chokho. Roen blinked as Chokho continued, “Try and work out what double motivation THAT could possibly have.”

Kage stopped Chokho, “Cho, I like you, but Roen's as close to family." He frowned, regarding her with a careful eye. Chokho returned his gaze as he continued, "Secrets are kept secret for a reason."

It wasn’t lost on Kage that Roen had said this very same thing to him when he learned of it all. That one long night. She had told them that some secrets… some secrets were bad. It was true, Kage knew that this type of secret could and would get every single one of them involved into trouble. Roen was already in deep. But Kage was also Sworn family. He couldn’t let Roen go like that. Not like that. But Chokho wasn’t in that same boat. She wasn’t on the same Chocobo. They were friends and Chokho liked her but… he doubted he could trust that this person she was working for was the same.

At Kage’s statement Chokho stopped and turned. “... Hey Kage, do you remember when Marrow lost her ability to communicate with everyone, and wanted to turn to sadism because of it?

Roen blinked.She remembered the name, Marrow, and pinched her brows. Kage narrowed his eyes. He knew Chokho and Marrow were close. He liked to think he was close to them but he knew they were closer.

“What? When did... When did Marrow do that? I doubt Marrow did that," shaking his head in disbelief. Chokho smiled and said, “Yeah. You're welcome for that one.”

Kage narrowed his eyes as Chokho continued, “... Welcome because she's NOT doing it anymore ... Because I helped with-... Oh forget it.. Anway. I'll see you again one way or another. Please be safe.”

Chokho smiled at Roen. Roen slowly nodded as she regarded Chokho. Kage bit his lip and glanced at Roen and shakes his head. "It's your secreft and your safety Roen."

Chokho left, bidding farewell as Kage returned the wave goodbye. He watched her walk away, not sure completely what to do. Roen watched her leave, a frown lingering on her face.

Kage sighed and turned, starting to make his way to the bar saying, “I think I need a drink…”

RE: Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|OOC OK] - Kage - 04-17-2014

Roen turned her gaze back to Kage as he started to walk away from her. She stopped him with her order, “Kage.” She pointed to the chair. “Sit.”

Kage could feel her frowning at him even though he wasn’t actually facing Roen. He could feel the gaze all the same even if he was turned away from her. He stopped and turned back, sitting down in the chair. “I will get you a drink,” said Roen.

Kage bowed his head, mumbling, “You don’t have to do it…”

Roen came back to the table, having grabbed anything that she could get for a drink and some glasses. She set one of the glasses down along with the bottle next to Kage. He thanked her as she sat down, rubbing her forehead. Kage grabbed the bottle, uncorking it and pouring its contents into a glass for Roen and one for himself. He handed Roen one glass, leaving his own near his right hand.

"Do you know her well, Kage? Cho? I have only briefly met her once at the Ball. With Naz."

Kage took a sip of from the glass and answered, "Chokho was the one to help with Marrow... the one..." He glanced around. "The tempering."

Kage didn’t know what to do. To say he was worried was an understatement. He was worried about what this might mean, for everyone. For Roen, for Natalie, for himself and for Chokho.

"Ah." Roen ponders what he had said for a moment, then shook her head. "I suppose I will hear from her soon enough..." she trailed off. She narrowed her eyes back on Kage, that stern look returning. "Now. Kage. You were attacked??"

"I don't know how she got any information but when she said she knew "exactly" what you were involved in... I had to get her to talk,” Kage commented. He looked into Roen's eyes, "Yes."

"Natalie wrote to me. Why does -she- have to write to me for me to find this out?"  She stared at Kage. "You knew something was coming, did you not?" She pressed her lips into a disapproving line. "That day at Ruby Road when I was meeting with Kiht. When you warned me of some Roe Bandit."

The rapid questions from Roen felt like she was interrogating him. Kage felt like he had burdened her. This is why he hadn’t wanted her to know. She already had a lot on her plate, with the Garleans, with her family. Why did Natalie have to send that letter? Why did he allow himself to get hurt. He blinked and groaned before nodding to Roen in affirmation.

Roen made a gesture, "You were acting very wary. This. Did you expect this?"
"....of sorts. Yes." Kage answered.

Roen’s questions continued. Kage wished she hadn’t worried about him. "Did someone attack you? Or did someone actually tried to kill you?"

Kage bowed his head. "I'm sure they were trying to kill me."

Roen exhaled with an incredulous look, Kage could feel her staring at him from across the table.  "And, you did not think to tell me. Any of this."

Kage replied, "You have more to worry about. Like your family."

"Kage." She sighed, eyeing the lalafell, her frown fading for a moment. "You and Natalie, are also my family now." She paused before asking, "Do you not see that?"

Why didn’t Roen understand? Kage wasn’t doing this out of trying to keep her out of danger or worry that she would turn on him. He didn’t want to overburden herself. He knew she would be concerned and she had so much to think about. "Of course I do.. But you... you.. you're busy."

Roen shook her head. "Do you think I cannot help?" She leaned in on the table. "What did you say, that day when I was chained. You said you would not let me go thorugh it alone. How then can you not expect the same in return?"

Kage winced, closing his eyes a bit. He stared at the table. He felt guilty. But, how could he? How could he let her be overwhelmed? If something happened to her because she was burdened over him… if something happened to her family because she was occupied with him.. Kage wouldn’t be able to live with himself. He already couldn’t bear the thought of seeing Ruru, who he had actually failed.

"We are Sultansworn." Roen laid her hand on top of the table as if to press her point. "We stand together. Shield to shield. Shoulder to shoulder. Those were your words. Natalie's words."

"But then I find out she left, and you were attacked? ..and Kayah."  She shook her head again. "Did this all begin with him?"

Kage looked up, his eyes peering into Roen's under the fringe. His eyes were rimmed red.

Roen sighed, her expression softened as he did so. "Kage. I am not here to make you feel worse. I just..."

"... I just want to help you," commented Roen.

"... I know.," he answered. He suddenly hit the table with his injured hand. "But already someone is hurt that I didn't want to get involved!"

Roen blinked, surprised by his outburst. "Someone else was hurt? Other than Kayah? And you?"

Kage elaborated, "Natalie told me to take an apprentice, a Sultansworn recruit. He's my friend I made in the Quicksand. He's another Lalafell named Rurutani. I call him Ruru.." His injured arm shakes. "His eye is lost because of me. He took an attack to his eye that was meant to kill me."

Roen blinked, her brows furrowing. "I did not realize how brutal this attack was." She bent her gaze, exhaling, “I have been ... neglectful in my duties as Sultansworn. I should have seen.. I should have been there."

Kage felt like his stomach had been just taken in by a Goobue. These were the types of things he had wanted to avoid for Roen. He shook his head furiously, "No! Not you."

"Kage, I have been remiss. I ..." She looked elsewhere for a moment. and Kage felt like he could not see what she was thinking. "There are things, that have drawn me away. But I see that it has also put you in danger." She shook her head. "Without back up. Or support."

Kage frowned. Roen leveled her gaze at him and asked, "What can I do?"

This was too much. What could he say? What could he do? He hadn’t wanted to burden Roen and instead he had placed more on her. He answered, "I don't know what... I don't even know who"

Roen narrowed her eyes and asked, "But then why attack you? This started with Kayah. Aye? What... happened??"

What happened? Wasn’t that a question Kage asked himself every day and night since the ball? What happened? "Kayah got attacked... the night of the ball. I walked in on them and could not stop their Roegadyn leader from stabbing him."

The memories always shook him. His whole body shook, both of his hands clenched and trembling.

"Them," she nods. "How many were there? You said one was Roegadyn. And there were more?"

Kage answered "At least one other Roegadyn... one who used claws or fists. And another I could tell was a Miqo'te who used their fists as well. There was at least another form, hooded and cowled. The others wore helms or masks."

He muttered, "I think the clawed Miqo'te was the one that tried to kill me. I can't say because of the mask but...during the attack I saw that the miqo'te was female and had some sort of blonde, gold colored hair.

Roen pinched the bridge of her nose, appearing as she was trying to take it all in. "If this started with Kayah, then we have to assume it was directed at him with a purpose. And then perhaps you,  because... you were there?"

Roen paused before continuing to seemingly think out loud, "Maybe that is why Natalie took him away. He is in danger, -here- in Ul'dah."

Kage shook his head and said, "I can't say... I don't even know if Kayah's alive." He frowned and nodded at Roen’s speculations about his attempted murder. "And I know... I was told some things."

She arched a brow and asked, "Told things? By whom?"

How to explain this, all of it without telling Roen about Suri’s relationship with Natalie and Kayah? The very complication situation that it was. He glanced at his glass, drinking all of its contents.

"My.. informant... I'll be arresting her when it's all over... or telling Natalie and Kayah about it first. She doesn't know the name but all she could add for me was that the tall female Roegadyn leader has purple hair."

"So a Roegadyn leads them." Roen nodded. "Purple hair." She made a face that Kage couldn’t place. "That is rather popular."

He tilted his head and asked, "Why the face?"

She shrugged. "There are many Roes that prefer that hair. Especially women. Just ask Denn."
Denn? Kage frowned at her mention. "I'd considered asking her but..." He  shook his head, "I'd rather talk to her about when she walked out on me at the ball. Denn's not involved. I don't think she is, not after yesterday."

Roen arched her brow at his statement. She asked, “Did... you two... have an argument?" Kage knew she didn’t understand what it was about. But he wasn’t about to elaborate on it, it had helped cause everything the night of the ball when he spoke about it. He just shook his  head not answering, "If Denn wanted to hurt me, she could have done it yesterday."

Roen blinked before she raised her brows,"When was your attack? What happened yesterday?"
"Denn is..." He shook his head. "It's a personal matter, it's not related to the attack. The attack, it was yesterday."

Roen nodded, and Kage hoped she would leave it be. "Denn tried to help me too. I would not suspect her. But perhaps she knows of those who might get us on a trail?"

Kage shrugged, "I don't know...Maybe? I've not talked much about everything, only saying it's been an attack. I don't know if Kayah's dead or alive..."

"Stanzie said he was. At least, when she saw him last."  She nodded with a reassuring look.

Kage shook his head. The less people knew the better. "I'm not telling anyone anything. The less known... the better it will be. Kayah was still deathly hurt when Stanzie went to rest after fully exhausting herself."

"Then that will be my story as well." Roen nodded before pausing, “Maybe I just should not mention it at all."  She frowned.

Kage sighed "It might be for the best until we know whether or not Kayah is dead or alive." He blinked back tears. "If he's head... if he's dead.. it's my fault." His voice broke.

"So." She tapped a finger against the wooden table. "We have three assailants, leader being a Roe. And another miqo'te that attacked you."

She pressed her palms on the table and leans towards Kage, speaking in a whisper. "Natalie would have said so."

Kage nodded and she continued, “I received her letter about you, today."  She shook her head. "Do not despair for the unknown, Kage."

"Perhaps," Kage slumped into his chair.

"Natalie is strong. She will not let Kayah die, unless she does it herself." She nodded before shrugging, trying to sound lighthearted. “I believe she  would keep him alive, by sheer force of will."

Kage returned the nod, "I can see that." He gave a small smile at the image.

"Now, Natalie will also be -furious- with me if I let something horrible happen to you." She canted her head with a warm look at Kage. "So, let us stick together?"

Even as Roen regarded Kage with look, she blinked and her gaze grew distant for a moment. She sighed quietly. "And when I have to be away, please, do not walk alone."

He nodded, "I..." He paused. "You need to not worry about me..."
Bending her brows, Roen gave him a look of an apology. "There are things... I still need to take care of, Kage." Her voice was low, but Kage could still hear it, just barely. He knew it was serious.

She shook her head. "But if I knew you were not taking -all- the precautions, I would be distracted with worry. Now I cannot afford that, so. For me? Be careful? And let me know how I can help?"

He nodded, "I understand Roen." His voice just as low and just as serious, even as he felt like he was being swallowed whole. "I was trying to take routes that are not my usual. I wasn't in the Quicksand for long periods of time..."

Roen pursed her lips, "You should not be in the Quicksand at all. That is where I would go to find you. Or Natalie."

Kage frowned. What was he to do? Hide somewhere forever until someone came by to attack
him or finish him off? Wait for them to find him? Wait for Natalie, wherever she was? To hope Roen was ok?

"I... I try," he responded.

"Now. Does your informant know any more?"

He shook his head, "No... I haven't seen her in awhile."

Roen arched her brows, "I hope she is safe."

Kage widened his eyes. He hadn’t thought about it. If they had sent someone after him, surely they continued to pursue Suri? They must have believed that she wasn’t doing anything about him.

"I hope she is... not in Ul'dah anymore," he replied. Roen nodded, “And how is your apprentice. Ruru... did you say?"

Hearing about Ruru again.. it hurt. It reminded him that he had failed. His eyes dropped, "He's lost use of one of his eyes. Other than that... he'll need to re-adjust to living and fighting with just one eye."

Furrowing her brows, Roen said, "Well at least you had each other, perhaps that is why you both are here still."

Kage bit his lip and nodded. Leaning forward again, Roen commented, "And now you have me as well. As you always have. I will be here when I can."

He closed his eyes for a long second before peering up to Roen. "Always."

Roen answered him with a reassuring smile and a nod. Kage sighed, he so wished that Roen was not burdened by his own plight. He murmured, "I'm sorry Roen, for making you worry."

Pushing up against the table, Roen stood up. She walked over to Kage and kneeled. "I am just glad you are alright," she said.

"Thank you Roen. For everything. " He sighed. "I hope you stay safe Roen. Ul'dah's not the safest place and... and you're still in danger."

"Do not hesitate to ask me of anything, Kage."  She regarded him intently and then nodded. "Aye. Stay well, Kage. Be careful. I do not want to lose anymore,” she said quietly with a hint of sadness to her voice that Kage could hear. She gave him a nod and then turned towards the lift.

Kage nodded to Roen and answered, “Yes.” He bid farewell to her as she walked away. Kage followed, walking slowly towards the lift. He wondered where he would stay if not at the Quicksand.

RE: Hit the Cobblestones, Get Back Up [Closed|OOC OK] - Kage - 04-21-2014

((After some certain OOC things going on I feel like I had to handwave some things... :/ Some things were omitted now...))

Roen’s words had bothered him. If he had been attacked, surely Suri had or would be as well? Wouldn’t they go for her too? If they attacked him then they knew that Suri hadn’t done anything to him, that she hadn’t “silenced him” as they had told her to after breaking her ankles and leaving her. Kage was conflicted, he liked Suri. He did. But how could he not feel angry when she confessed that the biggest reason she was involved was because under pressure she agreed to a plot to lure Kayah away from the ball so that the people involved could attack him; just so that Suri could have a chance at killing Natalie? Of course Suri had told him that she had no idea that Kayah would be attacked. She told Kage that the deal was that these people just wanted to talk to Kayah. She hadn’t followed through, the group attacked Kayah, and when she confronted them about it once Kage told her Kayah nearly died… she was tortured for betraying them. For not getting Kayah alone for them to talk to him. For telling Kage just one more detail so that they could try to get a lead on who had attacked Kayah, leaving him for dead.

She cared for Kayah. It almost terrified Kage how enraged Suri had become when he informed her of what happened to Kayah. Why did Kayah believe she hated him when it was so obvious that she didn’t? Why… was it always so complicated? Was it just a Miqo’te thing that he really didn’t understand?

Having decided that since he was on medical leave he should be free to leave Ul’dah, Kage left in search of Suri La Noscea. Having tracked her down due to her drinking, he found her drinking down rum in Wineport. He entered one of the buildings, finding her sitting at a table drinking away alone. He took the time to take a good look at the scene before him. A pile of bottles littered the table top and Suri’s head was held up by one of her hands. She seemed to sway slightly as she sat at the table. He sighed, inaudibly, before heading to the counter to order.

Kage sat down at Suri’s table, sliding two mugs of rum onto it. Her eyes were blood shot though oddly still alert. Her eyes narrowed at him, as if she was upset that someone sat at her table.

"I said go to hell, Artorias....I'll meet you......" She blinked a bit. "You’re.....not tall...enough..."

Kage blinked. Perhaps he should not have given her the rum… knowing that she was drinking so heavily. Artorias? Was he the blue-haired Paladin Hyur that he’d seen with Suri so much? He looked at his banged up arm and remembered his head bruising and decided it would be better to just let Suri have the rum. "No Suri... I'm Kage. The lalafell."

".......You look like ......." She frowned a bit and growled as she tossed the empty bottle that she had over her shoulder, starting a new pile. She took the mug Kage had placed on the table and started to down it. “You looked better sweety...Hmm...Wh...how...how? Did....you...?"

Kage gave a small smile as he wiggled his injured arm that was in a sling. “Ah, I got jumped. By a damned Miqo'te fistfighter."

". . . . . " Regardless of her overconsumption of rum, Suri’s ears perked up and her head snapped as she turned to look at him more seriously. She looked a bit alarmed as she looked him over. "Oh?"

Kage frowned up at Suri and replied, "I'm on medical leave so I needed to find out if you were ok...Think they'll try and get you again."

Suri snorted in response. “I'm still alive. Oddly enough. I think know....why," She muttered before turning back to the mug in her hand. After she took a gulp she frowned at him, and chastised him, “You didn't listen....to ...what I said.....yet I ...feel this is my fault..for not being there.”

Kage thought Suri looked as if she was inviting death. Did she not worry? Suri told him, “And let them come."

Kage winced at her chastisement. She was right. He -had- been walking near the Quicksand too often after she had warned him. But… "I was jumped when I was heading from Hustrings Strip going into Pearl Lane." He shook his head, “I don’t want you getting tortured… hurt by these people again.”

"...My apologies...Well..." Her voice trailed off as she swirled the rum around in the mug. "I had to get my bow and haven't had time to see if I could get a name that matches the Roe's face...I'm looking for." She winced.

Kage tilted his head back, tapping his chin with a finger. "You got your bow back? I'm glad to hear that." He frowned as he thought of his own lack of leads at the moment, "I haven't had any leads myself.”

Kage saw a strange look on Suri’s face as she hiccuped a bit, wrinkling her nose. She shrugged and said, “Glad....you’re ...alive. Hate to think your death be my fault too and on my hands." She didn’t notice anything Kage did, such as finishing his own mug’s contents. She downed the mug in a large gulp and tossed it, knocking over the bottles in front of her at the table. "I can't get drunk off this watered down ....choco spit." She muttered and lowered her head before standing up. Before Kage could react Suri was running away, leaving him in her wake.