Hydaelyn Role-Players
IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? (/showthread.php?tid=6933)

IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - A'rytiss Edar - 04-14-2014

So, I've had a rule of thumb for all of my characters whenever I play a Roleplay character in an MMORPG. And that rule, is that I only ever take an FC/Guild invite that my character would like ICly, that also meets my own OoC approval. 

As an RP'er, I've found this is actually a lot more difficult than it seems to be. People's drive to recruit ICly is often not as powerful as it is in the OoC shouts, blind invites, and general Free Party messages you see around everywhere. More often than not, the subject of Free Companies is downplayed solely to an OoC facet, and the recruitment in general is often left untouched. 

So, I'm posing a question - do you think it's a worthwhile thing to look for an IC FC ICly, even though the character does not actively seek one? Or do you think I should just find an OoC FC that I can comfortably raid in while continuing to RP?

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Tiergan - 04-14-2014

Are you waiting for someone to ICly recruit you or are you just looking for an RP FC that your character would like being a part of? I think you'll admittedly have a really hard time with the former, but the latter is as simple as looking through the FC/LS listing on this website. There are plenty of them and it shouldn't be too difficult to express to the one you end up liking the sound of that you would like to be initiated through RP.

Personally - I tried going the OOC FC route and it didn't sit well with me. I wound up almost quitting the game over it.

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Aysun - 04-14-2014

That's.. actually a really common way of going about things, I've found.

The thing is you have to be willing to "find a reason" for your character to join if you OOCly have interest in a group. They're generally not just going to pick you up off the street. You usually can apply OOCly to the guild in question and then just discuss your character's recruitment OOCly with the leaders there. Set up a meeting that will lead to them being hired, or recruited despite them not actively seeking employment or membership. Hopefully that's the only thing you'll ever have to really set up, but joining a group isn't always easy without OOC coordination.

Browse the Linkshell tab above to see some RP FCs. Not all are listed, so check tags of ones you run into in game and see too!

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Spiritual Machine - 04-14-2014

Of course it's worth it. The folks you see advertising OOC are only the most visible FCs available at a glance (for obvious reasons). Many of the FCs I've seen about encourage member interaction and sometimes attendance at events and gatherings before application is considered, so that you get to know folks IC and OOC and you have an IC reason for joining. It's done relatively naturally. Still other FCs I'm aware of ONLY recruit IC. The rub is that the more you handle things IC, the more you really have to go looking for these FCs. But trust me, they're out there.

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Maril - 04-16-2014

In my FC, we recruit in a few different ways. 
We use recruitment macro's to make people aware that we're around, or did - these days it's not needed as much. But in the start of our FC we'd do a macro per day per city (so 3 in total). People can then: 
- Contact us OOC - Via whispers or an application on the website. In this we'll detail if they wish to join oocly first, or if they wish to have their IC interview done first. The IC interviews are mandatory regardless. Some people need to see if they'd fit in oocly before involving their character, especially those who look for a company that is also social oocly - that's at least what I have noticed thus far. 
- Contact us IC - Our company both has word of mouth and posters/flyers flying about, so hearing about us IC isn't difficult. Then all they have to do is find a member in RP and ask to be taken to the leadership. 

In both cases, I'd be trying to talk to the person oocly as well, as we're an age-restricted (18+) company I at the very least need to know this. It also helps to give me a general image of how people are as a person and how serious they take the RP. In all cases I appreciate people who think of how their character would fit into the FC, instead of just applying to a random one/the biggest one out there and have the FC to try and accommodate to it. 

Considering that most FC's also have a social ooc part going on to some extend, I dont think you can truly just have an ic recruitment, since you'll need to be able to fit into the ooc part of it as well, even if you don't say much. Having a good talk can usually be enough for a recruiter to get a feel for it and let you onto a trial, which is what happens in my FC. Our trials can run for as long as we need to, to be able to see if they fit in or not. If someone doesnt fit in ic/ooc and nothing can be done to help it, we'll usually let them go with a recommendation of several other FC's they might suit better.

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Roen - 04-16-2014

How I joined my current FC and the one before that (I only left because the leaders all went on hiatus and it was a small FC and not much of us were left) was that I looked for FCs that would fit where I wanted my character to be IC wise.

Night Blades at the time were not actively recruiting, I saw no shouts or yells, nor any posts in the forums about it. I just scanned through the FC/LS section, and they were one of the two that attracted my attention.

Once I decided they were a good fit and visa versa, then the IC reason came about. 

If you enjoy RP, definitely you need to consider that as one of the major factors in joining an FC. It just makes it a better fit and you will be happier for it.  But purely looking for it IC wise, you may have a harder time finding one.

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Faye - 04-16-2014

Hey there! I think a lot of people are a little hesitant on IC recruiting, as they don't want to seem pushy and annoying to the people they RP with. Not to mention, if their character is not a leader or officer in their FC, they may OOCly or ICly feel it is overstepping their bounds to recruit new members. However, if you find an FC you like and ask the leader for a way to ICly recruit your character, they would be happy to oblige! Furthermore, you could always lead the RP in that direction yourself (ask the character if they're in an FC, ICly inquire about the details and if they're currently recruiting, etc.). 

On that note, Harbingers of Dawn encourages IC recruitment. We're a good-aligned, med-heavy RP FC dedicated to protecting and aiding the citizens of Eorzea. We'd be happy to have you! You can learn more about us here or on our site.

RE: IC FC Recruitment - should I give up on it? - Zveld - 04-22-2014

If looking for an RP FC, consider Diabolos and check out this thread: 

http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/anyone-wanna-start-an-rp-free-company.10608/page-3#post-154886