Hydaelyn Role-Players
Bryg - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Player Directory (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Bryg (/showthread.php?tid=702)

Bryg - Bryg Bluebeard - 09-22-2010

RL Info:

RL Name: Justin
RL Age: 23, DOB: April 14th
Timezone: GMT -5 (?)
RL Gender: Male

--Why do you like to RP?
I've been roleplaying online off and on (mostly on) for roughly 6 years now. I think the thing I love most about it is character building, and world building when appropriate. In general though, I love roleplaying because it's a fantastic outlet for pent up creativity. You're able to put your creative faculties to the test to not only create a character from the ground up, but also to control their actions and experience stories through them. More recently I've been gaining a deep appreciation for the cooperative aspect of roleplaying, in that a good group is able to create an entire world and plot full of twists and turns that is exciting to both create and experience (and at it's peak, exciting to read even for those not participating), and it keeps you on your toes. It's the chance to both write a story, and be surprised by it at the same time, and that's something I find absolutely fascinating with the pastime.

From a slightly different perspective, I've found that it's allowed me to think about movies/books/etc. differently and appreciate them in new ways that could only come from being on the writing side of things (which is something I never would have even thought to experience if it wasn't for getting into RPing years ago).

--How did you originally get into roleplaying?
((adding this section because I think it might be interesting/amusing if it caught on Tongue))
My gf at the time introduced me to a website called Gaiaonline back in the summer of 2004, though I had no idea what I was getting myself into (actually had no clue that RPing existed before then) because the way she described it made me think it was some sort of online game (this was also before I had ever played an MMO). So she introduces me to the website and she shows me around, and eventually introduces me to her Guild, which ended up being a roleplaying guild. Again, I had no clue at the time what roleplaying was. This was actually my first experience on an internet forum as well, so suffice it to say I was very confused and out of my element at the time. Nevertheless, I liked the people in it and just sort of slipped into roleplaying without even really realizing how unusual this whole thing was.

--What was your first roleplaying experience like?
((adding another one for the same reason!))
Branching off of the above story, I believe my first roleplaying experience was when somebody in that Guild was playing a very aggressive, jerk of a character (to this day I actually don't really know if that was just his personality or if he was just RPing that way). This guy decides to pick a fight with me, being a newcomer, so I was thrown into roleplaying pretty hard with a battle scene. Though, a "scene" isn't quite the right word, because the way this guy RP'd his battles was to see whose post was longer and, surprise surprise, I got to post first. As you can imagine, this was pretty unfair in just about every way imaginable: 1) I had never RP'd before in my life, 2) by posting first it gives him an obvious advantage for this "style" of RP fighting, 3) I was new to the Guild and still didn't really know what I was doing beyond the fact that I created my character by that point (I think). So yeah, not the most graceful entrance into RPing ever but to this day I look back to that scenario and smile just because of the absurdity of it all.

Basic info

--Characters: Bryg Daekolfsyn (a WIP)

--Current primary linkshell: None yet!

RP Preferences:

--RP style (light, casual, moderate, or heavy)?
I'll say moderate to heavy. I've never RP'd in an MMO before, but I can see myself wanting some OOC time to just step back from the acting and plotting and relax a bit more casually. Still, in the end I am joining here to RP. If it was otherwise you wouldn't know I existed. Tongue

--Are you willing to RP a fight scene in game? If so, preferred method of combat? (/randoming, skill based, etc)
This is where my inexperience with MMO RPing shows a bit. I'm not really sure what methods of combat are available, so I can only really speak in general terms.
For the first part of the question: Yes, I would love to RP some fights scenes. I find them very exciting and fun.
For the second part... The more creatively stimulating the method, the more likely I am to enjoy it. So just /randoming and determining the winner that way wouldn't quite cut it for me (though if it's the other person's preference I would try to accommodate). I'm not totally sure what you mean by "skill-based", but it intrigues me. Skill at RPing, or PvP skill? The former I think would be my ultimate preference, but I'm certainly not against some PvP every now and then.

--Are you willing to take major injuries in game? (ie limb loss, comas, etc.)
Hmmm. It depends on the situation and how I feel at the time I suppose. Limb loss for now I'll just give a flat "no", just because it would limit my job choice for the character.
As far as illnesses, comas, and whatnot... I'm open to ideas should they arrive. If it's in an interesting enough context I can be pretty darn open about these sorts of things.

--Under what circumstances, if any, would you allow your character to be killed off?
The only way I would allow my character to be killed off is if I got bored with him and wanted to play another character anyway.

--Are you willing to RP romance in game? How far are you willing to go?
As with what I said above, I'm open to almost anything. So yes, I'm open to RP romance and am willing to take that to whatever extent, provided it makes sense for all characters involved and is handled skillfully.
This also applies for less conventional situations like love triangles and unrequited feelings, again as long as it's done well and not too corny or clichéd.
I have nothing against homosexual romances at all, but I personally don't want any part of one.

--What kind of non-romantic RP relationships are you seeking? (family ties, etc)
Family ties I think would be a straight up "no".
Rivals, friends, blood-brothers (meaning deeper than a friend but not romantic), assassin pursuing me... Whatever people are willing to forge with me (friendly or otherwise), I'll take it provided it makes sense for my character. As with most things, I'm pretty open to ideas so don't be afraid to hit me up. Even if you don't think I'll go for it but want to do it, ask me anyway and you might be surprised. Big Grin

--How far from the actual lore are you willing to stray?
I'm open to taking liberties with the lore to an extent. Basically I want no part in anything that doesn't feel like it could exist in FFXIV's world.

--Views on chat functions (IC vs OOC in /party, /linkshell, /say)?
I'd personally be hesitant to RP in /say if non-RPers were around, just because I wouldn't want to fill their logs with bothersome text. I only say this because there are ways around doing that. If there is no other way to do it in whatever situation we're in, then I'd cave in.
Apart from that, I'm up for being IC in pretty much any chat channel.
As for a ratio... I think ~80% IC or so might be my limit? I like to get to know the people I'm interacting with, after all.

--Will most of your RP be confined in a single linkshell or will you try to RP with as many as possible?
As I said above, I'm pretty much up for practically anything that makes sense for my character. I have no restrictions on who I'm willing to RP with. That said, I am going to decide on an LS, so most of my RPing will probably be done with them just because of ready access to plots, people, and communication. In other words, more of a matter of convenience than anything.

--How do you prefer to be contacted? (PM or post in this thread)
If you can't reach me on an instant messenger, than a PM should work fine. If you want to use this thread, hey, nothing against that either. I just probably won't catch it as quickly.