Hydaelyn Role-Players
Brainstorm for Episodic rp event ((Poll up for getting best of the week)) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Brainstorm for Episodic rp event ((Poll up for getting best of the week)) (/showthread.php?tid=7284)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Tiergan - 06-01-2014

Quote:Second, I am unsure how to recruit individuals for "the doctor" since his aims aren't as easily hidden the first event of mine was. People willing to help the "doctor" would have to be willing to work for the Garleans, or perhaps people could put on a mask and play an npc. Not sure on this one, need the most help here.

If you have trouble rounding up folks and don't mind a level 8-10 alt to toss into the mix, I could level one. Over time I've all but mastered the secret master of creating random event NPCs that may or may not die horrible mangled deaths at the hands of mighty heroes.

Quote:Fourth, finding a way to sow distrust among the defenders of Ul'dah would be awesome IC, need ideas.

If the 'Doctor' discovers who the defenders are, or already knows them - perhaps he could frame a few as being potential moles/spies/traitors working in league with the Doctor. Lots and lots of things you can play with in that respect.

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Askier - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 02:12 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 06:18 AM)Nako Wrote: I would potentially be interested, but most likely not if its a 'the good guy's will win, just the manner of their victory changes'

Askier can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only reason why he's set to have the good guys ultimately win is because the scenario of the bad guys ultimately winning is impossible to actually RP out: it would mean that Ul'dah was successfully taken and destroyed by the main villain.

Something like that would clash heavily with the perspective of any RPer not participating in the event.

That's exactly why I went with the good guys win Tiergan.  =D It was the same way when Askier went to set off the bomb.  He had to be stopped cause Ul'dah was still going to be around in game afterwards lol.

(06-01-2014, 02:18 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
Quote:Second, I am unsure how to recruit individuals for "the doctor" since his aims aren't as easily hidden the first event of mine was.  People willing to help the "doctor" would have to be willing to work for the Garleans, or perhaps people could put on a mask and play an npc.  Not sure on this one, need the most help here.

If you have trouble rounding up folks and don't mind a level 8-10 alt to toss into the mix, I could level one..  Over time I've all but mastered the secret master of creating random event NPCs that may or may not die horrible mangled deaths at the hands of mighty heroes.

Quote:Fourth, finding a way to sow distrust among the defenders of Ul'dah would be awesome IC, need ideas.

If the 'Doctor' discovers who the defenders are, or already knows them - perhaps he could frame a few as being potential moles/spies/traitors working in league with the Doctor.  Lots and lots of things you can play with in that respect.

Topic one: I would not be opposed to low level alts being rped as bad asses at all so if you would like to, I'd be happy to work with you how your alt is part of the organization. lol.  My evil alt, Jin'li, is still just level 5 and he's had a huge impact on some peoples stories and my last big event lol

Topic 2:  I like that idea a lot.  Have letters keep getting mailed through the in-game mail system with damning statements with forged signatures of various defenders.  Would be a easy way for us to convey mistrust going on.

Thank you for the ideas, Tiergan. =D

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Zac Evans - 06-01-2014

Ooo! Ooo! OOO!

Can I be in this?

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Askier - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 03:52 PM)Zac Evans Wrote:
Ooo! Ooo! OOO!

Can I be in this?

Only if you bring apples. lol

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - cuideag - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 03:52 PM)Zac Evans Wrote:
Ooo! Ooo! OOO!

Can I be in this?
8)

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Aduu Avagnar - 06-01-2014

(06-01-2014, 03:34 PM)Askier Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 02:12 PM)Tiergan Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 06:18 AM)Nako Wrote: I would potentially be interested, but most likely not if its a 'the good guy's will win, just the manner of their victory changes'

Askier can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only reason why he's set to have the good guys ultimately win is because the scenario of the bad guys ultimately winning is impossible to actually RP out: it would mean that Ul'dah was successfully taken and destroyed by the main villain.

Something like that would clash heavily with the perspective of any RPer not participating in the event.

That's exactly why I went with the good guys win Tiergan.  =D It was the same way when Askier went to set off the bomb.  He had to be stopped cause Ul'dah was still going to be around in game afterwards lol.
I am aware that you can't actually complete the objectives of the bad guys, and thats kind of the turn off for me, there is no proper sense of consequence, I mean, yes my character would feel there was, but I wouldn't be able to fully commit.

but those of you that can, go for it, have fun.

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Roen - 06-01-2014

I will throw my lot in here this time.

I have both good and bad characters that I can weave into the story, whichever is needed.

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Askier - 06-02-2014

Currently working on the rough draft of the event. Will have soonish.   Thank you everyone whom has sent me tells and pms about being interested.  I look forward to getting my wires into all my puppets soon. Tongue  That said, this event is going to be a little different than last time, primarily, with myself running things from the background.

The heroes will be operating under Osric Melkire's and Kahn'a's orders since they ran the hero team last time.  For the villain side, I will be spearheading the team as "the doctor" and Jin'li, and giving orders to willing baddies via in-game letters, rp, and pms on this website.  "The doctor" and Jin'li will show up for the large events once a week, but most of the day-to-day operations, how orders are carried out, and the roleplay will be very much up to those of you whom agree to rp the villains this time.  Why the change of pace since my last event where Askier was front and center?  Well I'm glad you asked!

1)  I learned a lot from running the last event, primarily it is fun having unpredictable things happen spring up organically from rp in between events (if you participated in my last event, you may recall, there was a massive shift in the week 4 event due to rp)  and this will keep us all on our toes save for the once a week events which will be per-arranged. =D

2)  The numerous baddies working for a distant leader versus an Askier character running around doing everything gives people on both teams more things to do and lets more people influence the plot.  And this idea of numerous baddies gives the feeling of confusion and hopelessness that I'm "hoping" I can convey through this event for the good guys.

3)  During my last event, a far larger portion of community than I ever imagined started getting involved by the end, and I was unable to incorporate everyone.  This way everyone can get a jump on it from the start.  With the numerous villains and good guys, it will be easier for everyone to be rping with someone, forging lasting rivalries, and able to influence the event anytime instead of waiting on myself or a few others whom were driving the plot to be on.

4)  My free time will be squeezed soon with obligations relating to my work and a test I need to take at the end of June and, while unlikely, should my free time become horribly tight, the event won't have to stop on account of me only being on an hour or two a night should it come to that, hence why I plan on sending villains orders via this website and in-game mail ;D.  This said, if anyone is willing to act as lieutenants of sorts and organize villains during my time offline, let me know so I can let you know what your getting yourself into.  Fair warning, it's gonna be a lot of work. lol.

And that's that, I'll have the rough draft for event up in the next day or so and am looking forward to you all blasting all the problems with it out so I can fix it.  lol Big Grin

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Melkire - 06-02-2014

To touch on the "but the good guys are predetermined to win so it's meh" argument, which is a valid one:

Just because we can't go all the way and allow the villains a complete victory doesn't mean they can't have a partial one. It doesn't mean that there aren't stakes. There are a lot of people living in Ul'dah, and I'm not just talking about our Playable Characters....

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Askier - 06-02-2014

(06-02-2014, 04:49 PM)Melkire Wrote: To touch on the "but the good guys are predetermined to win so it's meh" argument, which is a valid one:

Just because we can't go all the way and allow the villains a complete victory doesn't mean they can't have a partial one. It doesn't mean that there aren't stakes. There are a lot of people living in Ul'dah, and I'm not just talking about our Playable Characters....

I thought you were one of the good guys  Bouncy...... lol.

So, brainstorm idea here, we keep a sort of tracker of the panic and death counts of the faceless npcs that slowly ticks higher depending on how successful the villains are during the events?

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Siha - 06-02-2014

Sounds good, and if you want rumors to spread there's always having some nameless, NPCish alts stand around and chit chat about it in the Quicksand. Angel

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Kanaria Melkire - 06-03-2014

Askier: "I thought you were one of the good guys  [Image: bouncy.gif]...... lol."

I was going to... -head bobs watching the smiley- bouncy... bouncy... bouncy... Gah! You make it hard to focus!

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - McBeefâ„¢ - 06-03-2014

I'd like to get involved! My character (As well as Roen and Kage), are brass blades, and under a lot of blackmail. We could be on the "Evil" or the "Good" side really, depending on what you need.

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Kage - 06-03-2014

(06-03-2014, 11:50 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: I'd like to get involved! My character (As well as Roen and Kage), are brass blades, and under a lot of blackmail. We could be on the "Evil" or the "Good" side really, depending on what you need.
^
This

Plus a certain Roegadyn's band had some in Quicksand throwing rumors about Kage in particular. He's even gone from Sultansworn to a Brass Blade!

RE: Another Episodic RP event? - Askier - 06-03-2014

((This is a rough draft of what I will eventually post in Balmung events.  As such it is totally up for thoughts, constructive criticism, additions, and changes.  Also please note, Jin’li is now the primary villain of this, and the doctor, who we’ve decided is not Askier though looks similar, is only going to be playing a minor role as an npc in one event, episode 4.  As for Askier, he is on the good guys side this time so will be treated as such by Jin'li.))

“The Question of Blue Blood on the Sands” ((working title) is a joint,community based episodic rp event  (Could that title get any longer?) being run by myself on my alt, Jin’li, Melkire, and Kahn’a, with loads of other amazing rpers taking on roles.  The story will involve a band of heroes attempting to stop a group of Imperial spies from bring Ul’dah to its knees.  My desire is that this event helps bring the Balmung community together in a similar way that my last event “Saga of the Wind Swept Sands” did.

Okay, you have my attention. So how does this all work?

We are breaking the rp involved in this event into two categories:

Major events will be weekly episodes that will be of a more scripted nature an are designed to help move the main plot along. My plan is that each episode will take roughly two hours so people can fit it into their busy schedules.  Each week, everyone will log in at a set place and we will run the story from there.  These will take place on Thursday nights starting at 8pm CST.

Then there are minor events.

This will include rp and plots going on between our various characters such as assassination attempts, which do not require everyone to be aware of.  Already I have several rpers who are working for Jin’li who already have targets.

Heros, that was your heads up.  My desire of these minor events is to give everyone more control over how they want to impact the story without having to wait for a major event or for the team leaders to give them orders.

Unlike my last event, I am going to be recording the panic levels and death count of the civilians of Ul’dah that will be based on the major events.  The goal of this is help create an atmosphere to tension and give a sense of accomplishment for the villains and sense of stakes for the heroes.

There will be two sides. 
The heroes and the spies.

If you wish you join the spies, you will need to meet IC with Jin'li.  He will give you a linkpearl and your orders.  Jin’li is much less hands onthan Askier and will be allowing any spies to accomplish their task however they deem appropriate.

Heroes will need to meet with Melkire or Kahn’a, since they are running this show for the heroes, again, because they are awesome.  Thank you two!

There are five planned stages for this event. (Warning Spoilers ahead.)

The idea of these major events is to determine which of the two final episodes happens.  The winning team of two of the three middle events determines which episode occurs.  Note, it is possible the change or greatly influence the middle three events via minor event rp. 

During “Saga of the Wind Swept Sands” the fourth Episode was Dramatically changed due to rp that occurred. And Episode 5 ended in a way I NEVER imagined I would have.

Stage 1 is registration and a meet and greet.  This has already begun since Jin’li’s agents have already started spreading panic inside the refugee camps outside Ul’dah.  This is a chance to bring new people on-board and get them caught up and start the wheels Turing

Episode 2:  “Enemy at the Gates” will be the kick starting event that throws the entire city into a panic.  I’m considering having this one on June 12[sup]th[/sup], giving people a bit more than a week to get involved.  This can be changed however.

Episode 3:  “Who fiddled while Ul’dah burned?” – Information forth coming

Stage 4: “The Doctor is in.”- Information forth coming

Episode 5:  Heroes win 2 of the three events: “To Stop a Runt.”  Baddies win 2: “Invasion of Ul’dah.”

That was a lot of text. So about dem Rules:

1)  IC knowledge does not equal OOC knowledge.  For this role-play it is imperative that you don't use OOC information.  I know this will be a problem though since oyu are all awesome rpers. 

2) Please note that no character may be harmed or killed without their player’s consent (OOC)  Does not mean you can’t attack them and miss all day lol 

3) Combat:  There will be fighting in this.  Rules are below.

4) Have fun!  My last event like this was amazing and I really hope this one can become just as good hopefully better.  However, I PROMISE there will be a few hiccups along the way and plans will get messed up, just like how Zac and Melkire threw off my entire sub-plot with Saravena during Episode 4 and left her and I scrambling to adjust mid-event…lol was awesome though.  That said, I ask that you be understanding and go with the flow. This is a ton of work for those running this and we can’t foresee every development. =D

5) Registration.  Once registered, I will put your name on a list for your chosen side so players can rp together for minor events.  At this time, there will be no limit the amount of players in this event. 

6)  We request that any orders myself, Kahn’a,or Melkire give during this event either IC or OOC, be obeyed simply for the sake of keeping this thing organized.

Combat:  to make combat a smooth action and to remove level gaps from the equation, we will be rping combat.  However, to keep things from getting bogged down, we will be using the following rules.

1)  Combat will take place as a back-and-forth.  One side will go, making their attack (or attacks, if multiple attackers) first.  To see if your attack hits, please have a simple, everyday house die with six sides nearby.  Combat will be based on dice rolls with Attacker and defender trying to role higher than the other.  When attacking,  you will post how you want to attack and roll the dice, adding the dice roll to the post:  Ex:

-Tom rolls his dice and then posts in game : Adin draws his sword and lunges forward, trying to impale his foe with the pointy end.  (( rolled 4))

It's important that your post says what you're trying to do, not that you hit, because the defender will roll and then post what happens.  Ex:

- Ali rolls her dice and gets a five.  Since the result is higher,she takes no damage.  Ali posts: Meera steps to the side and avoids the attack, grinning. ((Rolled 5))

Now that Tom's attack is resolved, it is Ali's turn to attack.  In the likely situation of multiple attackers on one person, all players on one side attack first, each going in order from left to right making an attack and letting the defender defend. Ex:

-Tom keeps missing so Fred joins in.  Tom is on left so he goesfirst - Adin attacks ((Rolls 3))

- Ali rolls and posts "Meera dodge." ((5))

- Fred rolls and posts - Torin attacks with an axeswing.  ((6))

-  Ali rolls and scowls as she posts  -  "Aliis struck with a glancing blow on the shoulder and blood rushes out.  ((rolled 3))

Now it's Ali's turn to attack but she can only attack one so she must becareful.

But what happens when you are hit?  You lose a hit point!  All characters have 3 hp (this is subject to change based on player numbers on either side.)

Once you have 0 hp, you are knocked out, or forced to flee, player's choice.

Healing classes can, instead of attacking, heal a wound on someone.  Note, can only do this once every three rounds to prevent over healing.

2) No one player may be engaged in combat with more than 3 opponents simultaneously.  To indicate you are in combat with someone, walk up to them and unsheathe your weapon.  Once a player has 3 people standing in front of them, no other player may enter the fray until a player is beaten.  An example of said formation is below with "O"representing one side and "X" the other

O  O  O
    X

3) But what if a friend is in trouble against three people?  You may run over and engage one of the enemies one on one by walking over and standing in front of them with your weapon unsheathed.  Whisper them you are engaging them and both you and the person you've engaged move a few feet away to show your ally is only engaged with 2 people now.  Visual example below.

O  O  O = O  O  O =  O  O      O
    X     =     X  X  =       X      X

4) IMPORTANT:  During combat, your emotes should be no more than a few sentences long.  This is to keep combat flowing quickly and from jumbling up the chat window with long posts.