Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fantasia usage ICly? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fantasia usage ICly? (/showthread.php?tid=7493)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Aya - 06-26-2014

Fantasia sounds like what happens when you drink too much!  "Imma.. hic... lalafel now.  I used to be a highlander.. ayup.  Swear."

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Yangh - 06-26-2014

Well... this thread took of nicely!

*waves to Berrod and Kage*

I'm not dead! I promise! I'll be  back in Ul'dah in no time flat! Smile

As for Fantasia? I had considered using one myself ICly as part of a way for Yangh to hide from her family... but i'm really not sold on the idea at all.

I was considering a Hyur @_@

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Kage - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 11:24 AM)Aya Wrote: Fantasia sounds like what happens when you drink too much!  "Imma.. hic... lalafel now.  I used to be a highlander.. ayup.  Swear."
"I used to be a Highlander. Then I took a Fantasia-laced cookie."

??

I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. I also have had quite a few people send me tells about it @_@; But overall I feel like Kage's had some great characterization and until I reach that side effect plot, I'll be riding on a pretty great RP high. For the last week I've been antsy and at the edge of my seat excited with all the plot I've been able to work in and with. OOCly I was feeling like Kage as a lalafell was getting stale. I had great help with the plotting of it and I'm reaping the RP rewards.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Zhavi - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 11:58 AM)ExKage Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 11:24 AM)Aya Wrote: Fantasia sounds like what happens when you drink too much!  "Imma.. hic... lalafel now.  I used to be a highlander.. ayup.  Swear."
"I used to be a Highlander. Then I took a Fantasia-laced cookie."

??

I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. I also have had quite a few people send me tells about it @_@; But overall I feel like Kage's had some great characterization and until I reach that side effect plot, I'll be riding on a pretty great RP high. For the last week I've been antsy and at the edge of my seat excited with all the plot I've been able to work in and with. OOCly I was feeling like Kage as a lalafell was getting stale. I had great help with the plotting of it and I'm reaping the RP rewards.

(for what it's worth, I like how you did it. I just really liked reading about Kage the lalafell. But you've thought it all out, so I mean. . .my protest was meant to be humorous. Sorry! >>)

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Kage - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 12:03 PM)Zhavi Wrote: (for what it's worth, I like how you did it.  I just really liked reading about Kage the lalafell.  But you've thought it all out, so I mean. . .my protest was meant to be humorous.  Sorry! >>Wink
((No need to feel sorry! I wasn't thinking of your comment at all. It was actually in-game stuff I was commenting on. I'm really glad people liked LalaKage! Big Grin Just as his player, for some reason, things just got incredibly stale for me and my small depression was not helping. A little change and well... I hope people do like to read about and RP with Kago'te as much as they did LalaKage.))

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Dogberry - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 11:39 AM)Yangh Wrote: Well... this thread took of nicely!

As for Fantasia? I had considered using one myself ICly as part of a way for Yangh to hide from her family... but i'm really not sold on the idea at all.

Welcome back, Cannonball! That'll throw Dog for a loop for sure. "Didn't you have a tail last time we met?"

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Askier - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 11:58 AM)ExKa Wrote: I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. 
While I didn't Fantasia Askier or Jin'li I have been using it as part of the Jin'li plot that has been occurring.

In it, there is a character called "The Doctor" who fantasied himself to look like Askier to set him up.  While its not as altering as yours, I do feel fantasia has a ton of potential for plot purposes, especially if people are trying to run a cloak and dagger style rp.

So overall I have no problem with the potions being used for rp, catch is not to have it over used though. Least in my mind, I pictured fantasia extremely complex and rather rare potions.

Granted based on the forums my view maybe a minority with all the transformations going on but. . . Lol

(06-26-2014, 12:16 PM)Dogberry Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 11:39 AM)Yangh Wrote: Well... this thread took of nicely!

Welcome back, Cannonball! That'll throw Dog for a loop for sure. "Didn't you have a tail last time we met?"

Dogberry! I forgot to mention you! Cannonballs for life! I see I missed a pirate voyage... this make me and Yangh very sadpanda ;_;

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - TheLastCandle - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 12:28 PM)Askier Wrote:
(06-26-2014, 11:58 AM)ExKa Wrote: I admit, I did feel a leeeetle teeny tiny bit defensive because as far as I know I'm one of the only ones who has actually used Fantasia for an IC plot. 
While I didn't Fantasia Askier or Jin'li I have been using it as part of the Jin'li plot that has been occurring.

In it, there is a character called "The Doctor" who fantasied himself to look like Askier to set him up.  While its not as altering as yours, I do feel fantasia has a ton of potential for plot purposes, especially if people are trying to run a cloak and dagger style rp.

So overall I have no problem with the potions being used for rp, catch is not to have it over used though. Least in my mind, I pictured fantasia extremely complex and rather rare potions.

Granted based on the forums my view maybe a minority with all the transformations going on but. . . Lol

I wouldn't say your view is a minority. The impression I'm getting from this thread is that people seem to agree Fantasia and similar effects should be extremely rare, in theory. It's just.. in practice it's more common than everyone seems to think. xD

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Dogberry - 06-26-2014

There will be plenty more voyages, to be sure.

(06-26-2014, 01:00 PM)Dogberry Wrote: There will be plenty more voyages, to be sure.
 Good! Dogberry promised her a voyage of epic proportions and treasure! Big Grin

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - FreelanceWizard - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 01:00 PM)TheLastCandle Wrote: I wouldn't say your view is a minority. The impression I'm getting from this thread is that people seem to agree Fantasia and similar effects should be extremely rare, in theory. It's just.. in practice it's more common than everyone seems to think. xD

At least within the subset of Eorzeans that are PC adventurers. Smile

If L'yhta were more aware of such things, she'd probably start wondering aloud about who's targeting adventurers with Fantasia, finding out who the pushers are, and deciding how to address the problem -- since it seems to be specific to the adventurer community. Smile

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Aysun - 06-26-2014

Fantasia Flavor Text: Legend states that any who drink this mysterious liquid before lying down for the evening will awaken a new man (or woman). Grants you a single opportunity to edit your appearance in the character creation screen upon your next login.

To me, this is simply an item that they added to overcome a game mechanic and make them money. It should not be used ICly. It is implied it is extremely rare, and it's affects are not confirmed, but rumored/legendary, basically.

An acceptable reasons (TO ME) to use it would be to change to what your character was always supposed to be in 1.0. This does not involve IC use of the potion. For example, Miqo'te males, Highlander females, Roegadyn females - all not available as playable races in 1.0, but some characters did exist that were them. They can now match their appearance in game to what there character was supposed to be. Another example would be a character that was a Hyur in 1.0 and the player really always wanted them to be something else but could not change them. A retcon would be necessary, instead of using the potion ICly, in my opinion, so that the character "was always" the other race - talk to the players you RP with in that instance so that they know about the retcon and can deal with it.. which can be hard. No one likes to retcon.

The ONLY IC instance of using Fantasia that I personally would really accept would be to "cast glamour" on the character. It wouldn't be an actual change, but a disguise, basically. There are several instances in the game of complete changes of appearance being referred to as a sort of magical glamour (imps, slyphs, etc, have done it) and the potion could be an acceptable way of doing it.

Other than that? If someone mentions using Fantasia to me ICly, my character thinks they're nuts. You are what you appear to be. If you tell her you used to be a Lalafell, and you're a Miqo'te, she's going to think you need some serious help.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Teryaani - 06-26-2014

I've used it, and in a weird way, it's ic.

For Teryaani, the change wasn't caused by the fantasia itself. In this case it's an entirely different person stealing the name of a fallen adventurer as an alias in the hopes of hiding from her own past.

She saw the person meet their end in Ul'dah and they weren't particularly famous or infamous. After all, she had never heard of them.

Sure a syndicate wanted them dead, but they know that they killed their mark right?

It's the perfect plan and there is no way it could ever go wrong!

Thanks for the opinion's my lovelies! ♥

Also, hello Aysun! Smile

Upon much reflection i've decided to not go ahead with it... I just can't justify it with myself at all! The most i'd consider? Perhaps changing from Keeper to Seeker with the excuse being she always wore contacts and fake fangs...

Even that is a stretch!