Hydaelyn Role-Players
Fantasia usage ICly? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Fantasia usage ICly? (/showthread.php?tid=7493)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - allgivenover - 06-26-2014

Fantasia is the best example in XIV of how giving a paid account services item a little bit of flavor text is a terrible, terrible idea...

...unless you don't care about role-play and lore consistency, which describes pretty much every big budget MMO developer ever, including SE.

If there was even a bit of evidence that Fantasia saw any use in the story I'd be for it, but there really isn't any mention of them outside of the items flavor text, at all. 

Granted, It'd be wrong of me to say your RP is invalid or bad because you use a Fantasia IC, but when I see the cliched "Oh no! I drank a Fantasia by mistake and now I'm a GIRL OH NOES" roleplay going on I am going to do my best to stay clear.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Maril - 06-26-2014

To me, fantasia is a 100% ooc product, made to appease people who regret their initial decisions. So, even if someone stood and told me icly about how they magically became a different race, my character would assume they're insane/deranged. Which is a right that I'll always reserve, not to disapprove of someones RP but as a way for me to pull my character away from who-ever is doing it, because it conflicts with how I see things, and I don't want it actually skewering any of the major RP i engage in.

It's one of those "Just because you theoretically could, doesn't mean you should" situations. 
If you want to change your race, make a new character out of it, chances are it's going to much more fun that way as well because you get to use that race's racial background and traits.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Flynn Rosenberg - 06-26-2014

If it's in the game, I don't see why it shouldn't be lore. I would prefer if people used it and said they did to change race, none of the cliche "Accidentally drank some". But if the character used it to change a few unnoticeable features that could have been changed with the barber, theeeeen that would be a waste. If your character said they were experimented on or cursed with something and swapped spirits/bodies whatever.. I'd stay away, sorry, because you could have used a phantasia bottle IC instead.

I dunno, go with it, just don't make it complicated. Next time you meet someone it'll hopefully go like "Did you change gender or something" "Yes, I got myself a fantasia potion. They're pretty rare" "Oh, okay. Dont need details, whatever floats your boat" done \o/

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Cato - 06-26-2014

Not everything present in a game is backed up by lore or even meant to be taken as anything other than a convenient game mechanic. I know some people will claim that they're just being 'creative' by having their character change from a Hyur to a Miqo'te but as far as I'm concerned true creativity in role-play involves embracing limitations just as often as opportunities.

Obviously nobody can force anyone to stop doing something but at the same time they shouldn't be shocked when such things are avoided or frowned upon.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - UltraFennec - 06-26-2014

I will proudly admit to using it for a stupid, crass in-character joke thing in which my Arcanist tried to minimize her bustline with alchemy and instead maximized it by using the wrong ingredients by mistake from overtiredness and illness.

Because it amused me for five minutes and...really, it's not a huge deal.

I mean, it's a freebie for subscribing for awhile and it apparently exists in the game world...doesn't need to be so serious a thing, might as well use it and have fun with it.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Cato - 06-26-2014

Nobody is suggesting that role-play should always be super serious, though if people are going to change some pretty major aspects of their character on a whim then it suggests - perhaps unintentionally - that they're not reliable or committed.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Kellach Woods - 06-26-2014

(06-26-2014, 08:05 PM)Flynn Rosenberg Wrote: If it's in the game, I don't see why it shouldn't be lore. I would prefer if people used it and said they did to change race, none of the cliche "Accidentally drank some". But if the character used it to change a few unnoticeable features that could have been changed with the barber, theeeeen that would be a waste.
Yeah I used my free one to change some features that couldn't be changed, but seeing as I tend to thoroughly research character/race before making them I really would just have a Fantasia that served no purpose otherwise.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Kage - 06-27-2014

I'm just going to say that to assume makes an ass out of you and me.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - MrPoopyButtHole - 06-27-2014

Too overused. Also, Welcome Back.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Yangh - 06-27-2014

Pyra! ♥

You should know, I didn't duck out of your finale willingly... RL got firmly in the way of everything at the time Sad

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Gwen - 06-27-2014

Booo.. *swats any remaining thoughts away* Yangh's appearence is part of who she is!

She wouldn't be the same without that tail Wink

(06-27-2014, 09:32 AM)Amyness Wrote: Booo.. *swats any remaining thoughts away* Yangh's appearence is part of who she is!

She wouldn't be the same without that tail Wink
 You just like yanking it and hearing her spout off in her native tongue! (Which by the way i'm totally inventing! I have a large list of words already!)

I'm on to your games... -_-

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - Rosekitten - 06-27-2014

So long as there is some form of reasoning or logic behind the story of using the potion (ic personally my character would have not a clue if you told her what the potion wasnot something she'd follow or look into) then by all means go for it.

There are far worse things people try to rp out or rp as that makes me cringe thinking about the proper lore behind it.

RE: Fantasia usage ICly? - MrPoopyButtHole - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 09:03 AM)Yangh Wrote: Pyra! ♥

You should know, I didn't duck out of your finale willingly... RL got firmly in the way of everything at the time Sad
It's all good. Yang is dead to Pyra anyway Thumbsup

(06-27-2014, 10:32 AM)ForbieJD Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 09:03 AM)Yangh Wrote: Pyra! ♥

It's all good. Yang is dead to Pyra anyway Thumbsup

Good lord! I can think of many reasons for why that might be... which one(s) is(are) it(they)? o.o