Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Decline of Gilgamesh - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: The Decline of Gilgamesh (/showthread.php?tid=7508)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Decline of Gilgamesh - Lizzo - 06-27-2014

Hey all, haven't been around too much since my sub ran out a few weeks ago (and I didn't resub as I was in a bit of a rut, and then got stuff going irl).

Looking to come back for 2.3 in a couple week (if not sooner) and I've been talking to a couple of my old contacts - and the state of Gilgamesh is almost appalling. 
Driftwood Coast - THE big RP FC seems to be in dire straits with more and more people 'drifting' away, Wayward Star has literally 'jumped ship' to Balmung along with the Echo Knights and The Black Sails seems to have shipwrecked with the loss of many hands. As well, Gold and the Blue Moon Healing Centre have locked their doors to the public.

Now, I'm not a huuuge RPer, but I did enjoy it from time to time and liked to poke my various character's heads in to see what was going on and try to make connections. Of course my main's place, Parker's Wulver's Den is still in existence (though rather empty with me not ingame for a bit), but I can't believe what I'm hearing about Gilgamesh! What's going on guys?

If Gilgamesh is truly going up or down in flames, I would like to know (I have a number of characters and my FC there). Please let me know the circumstances and such below, I may have been away for a bit, but I don't want to come back to find few if any friends remaining...

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Ciel - 06-27-2014

I've noticed an influx of Gilgamesh people coming to Balmung recently.  If all else fails, come on over.  There's plenty to do and you might find some familiar faces.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Saefinn - 06-27-2014

It was a sad decision to make, it was not mine alone, heck, I hadn't suggested it and it wasn't made lightly. We've always had a great love for the Gilgamesh community and have supported it right from the beginning.

But the community isn't what it once was, we've had a fantastic time and a lot of stories to tell, met lots of great people, seen them come and go, but I don't think our RP would continue to survive if we remained. There were drama llama issues going on in The Goblet, which we know to house a number of popular RP FC's, we did our best to resolve them, but it did become a drain on many of us. To the point where we started feeling more introverted and the decline of players didn't help - not really a community 'feeling' anymore. We welcome RP and respect people's RP, so we love RP with people outside of our FC. The numbers are also a lot smaller compared to what they were.

I've found typically when talking Gilgamesh vs Balmung, typically people would say you get a lot more RP on Balmung (also open world RP), but you're more likely to get quality RP on Gilgamesh - though quality is not exclusive to either and of course, nothing is guaranteed. But it's based on the experiences reported back to me. But now, I think Balmung is looking to be the brighter place for us.

Also, for us many of our friends in RP have come and gone, we have left a handful behind, regrettably (yourself included), which is why it wasn't a light decision.

Seeing Drift completely split, that was a big surprise, it was almost like seeing a god fall. It makes me glad we've managed to keep our FC in order for so long, but again, if we stayed, I suspect we would eventually meet the same fate and we love what we have going, so we'd never want that fate, not until at least we grow sick of each other. :P

Though, it will be *fun* saving up for another house. We've had to leave ours behind on Gilgamesh as you know, but hey, most of us craft and we have wealthy Russian investor :P So maybe we can make the funds in due course.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Tarras - 06-27-2014

I was -briefly- a part of Driftwood. When I first got involved with the guild, it was really fun. I met a lot of the members in the Goblet and was looking forward to making new friends. But as time went on, stuff which I can only assume to be drama started happening within the guild and people, some of whom I had been RPing with just a few days before, started randomly leaving. It was kinda...disheartening. Especially when I was out of the loop like that. I wanted to know what was wrong so I could see if I could do anything to help, but every time I tried to confront someone about it, they beat around the bush and left me with more questions than answers.

I don't really mean to be calling anyone out here. I enjoyed my time in Driftwood, but I personally think the guild could have lasted if there was better communication. By the seven hells, I didn't even know the guild was closing down on the 16th until I logged in to the game a day before. I wasn't the most active guild member, I know that. It turned out more tough than I imagined to balance playing with my RL friends (who only want to run dungeons and stuff) and RPing.

It was sad to see it go. I tried sticking with the RP scene for the past few days, but the community is pretty much dead especially with guilds like Wayward Star going to Balmung. All that remains are very closed off cliques. If you ask me, I say go for Balmung instead of Gilgamesh at this point if you want to center your playtime around RP. Otherwise, Gilgamesh may provide a better casual RP atmosphere, but it is "EX mode" to get into the community now. The last few events posted on the Gilgamesh board weren't even really RP events but a PVE guild trying to recruit people into their rosters.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Faye - 06-27-2014

Is it too late to say I told you so? I've been saying that since before launch splitting the RP community in two directions was a bad idea, particularly since all that seemed to be going to Gilgamesh was a smaller community more focused on tight cliques and making a name for themselves, but for the most part I've had to hold my tongue because that seems to be a taboo thing to talk about here. I'm not going to lie--I've run into a lot of players on Balmung who've transferred here from Gilgamesh because they were dissatisfied there. Most new players, events, and linkshell/FC ads I see here on the RPC are more often on Balmung than Gilgamesh. There are still some awesome role-players, FC's, and LS's on Gilgamesh, but I do have to say Balmung is more active in the RP community these days.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Zhavi - 06-27-2014

Sometimes you just have to try, no matter the chance of failure. Smile

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Zoetrooper - 06-27-2014

I see no decline in Gilgamesh. ^_^ And am actually genuinely surprised reading this. Sorry you feel that way but you are more than welcome to come to events (there are always some, and linkshells that advertise them). I know of more than a few active linkshells/fcs.

Hit me up in game if you want invites to IC linkshells or have questions about events.

I find this sort of thing to be really toxic towards a community that I love. I see a lot of people complaining about not finding RP but unwilling to attend events or be a part of the community.

But if you do want to show up, we're waiting there for you. ; )

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - ArmachiA - 06-27-2014

^ It's kind of unfair to assume they aren't TRYING though. If you, personally, are in the inner circle of the RP community in Gilgamesh, you won't even feel the declined and that's probably how it is for you. However, if you are NOT, the decline will be felt much faster.

Saying "lol it's not, how dare you! Go to events!" doesn't fix your problem and shows me everything thats wrong with Gilgamesh.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Flickering Ember - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 01:39 PM)Faye Wrote: Is it too late to say I told you so? I've been saying that since before launch splitting the RP community in two directions was a bad idea, particularly since all that seemed to be going to Gilgamesh was a smaller community more focused on tight cliques and making a name for themselves, but for the most part I've had to hold my tongue because that seems to be a taboo thing to talk about here. I'm not going to lie--I've run into a lot of players on Balmung who've transferred here from Gilgamesh because they were dissatisfied there. Most new players, events, and linkshell/FC ads I see here on the RPC are more often on Balmung than Gilgamesh. There are still some awesome role-players, FC's, and LS's on Gilgamesh, but I do have to say Balmung is more active in the RP community these days.

I am glad someone is speaking up about this because this is exactly how I feel. It is not what Gilgamesh players want to hear but from my experiences the RP community is not big enough for more than one RP server for ANY MMO except maybe WoW. The game has been out for a while at this point. I understand the original reason for Gilgamesh was so that newcomers could get a fresh and fair start on a non-legacy server but those differences likely aren't all that noticeable anymore for new players.  That really hurts Gilgamesh's chances of getting fresh blood when non legacy servers are not really different from legacy ones at this point.

Overall I have to agree with Faye. Splitting the RP community probably wasn't a good idea.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - FreelanceWizard - 06-27-2014

*puts on Magic Admin Hat*

I think there's a legitimate discussion that can be had here (particularly among those on Gilgamesh who are staying or have left sharing their reasons why), but if it starts devolving into a "neener-neener, Balmung's better" or "Balmung's a bunch of cliquish arses" flamefest, I'll be locking the thread and handing out warnings to the parties involved.

Don't make me be mean. Cry

EDIT: I would gently suggest Balmung players bow out of this thread as a kindness to Gilgamesh players and a favor to me. If you really want to reopen the "two RP servers" discussion again, please start a new thread for it. Thanks.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Zoetrooper - 06-27-2014

(06-27-2014, 02:52 PM)ArmachiA Wrote: ^ It's kind of unfair to assume they aren't TRYING though. If you, personally, are in the inner circle of the RP community in Gilgamesh, you won't even feel the declined and that's probably how it is for you. However, if you are NOT, the decline will be felt much faster.

Saying "lol it's not, how dare you! Go to events!" doesn't fix your problem and shows me everything thats wrong with Gilgamesh.

To be completely fair I wouldn't say I'm part of an inner circle. And now that folks know the invitations are completely open perhaps it won't be so difficult for them to join in.

People can feel free to approach me at any time. Don't be scared!

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Melkire - 06-27-2014

...if you place two water droplets next to each other, the smaller one is going to be the one that moves the most when the larger one absorbs it.

Smaller bodies are inevitably pulled in towards larger ones. This holds true for celestial bodies as well as financial ones... and communities in general, too.

GRAVITY, YO.

EDIT:

Zoe - maybe they're not so much intimidated as they are unaware that you're there/available? I know that tends to be a problem with smaller communities. I remember back when I was helping run a small vBulletin board for Legend of Zelda fans. Our membership was really, really small for the longest time... then we made an effort to advertise and get our names out there wherever and whenever possible, and membership bloated. I really have no better word for it other than "bloated".

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Kage - 06-27-2014

I know I shouldn't comment but I was mentioning to a few others that there -seemed- to be a recent shift. Perhaps it's really not so for those who -are- getting RP but perhaps it's -much- more so for those who used to have some but are now not seeing it.

There's been at least one other thread in less than 2-3 weeks time however about people talking about how they started or plan to migrate from Gilgamesh to Balmung. I remember at least one other where people did talk about how it was still thriving but it was in the housing areas etc. It's at least something worth talking about.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Shizuka - 06-27-2014

Well, for one thing, I can honestly say The Black Sails isn't shipwrecked at all. We've just had several new people join us and are actually more active than ever. While we did have people make another FC, I fully encouraged it because I think it's a great idea to have more groups with more RP concepts.

We've been RPing in the cities, and each night we have walk up RP joining us, or people whispering us interested in applying. The interest is absolutely still here on Gilgamesh and I've yet to have any real trouble finding RP outside of my own FC. I know a lot of people are somewhat hesitant to venture out into the world and RP at NPCs and the like, but I've personally yet to be trolled and often pick up a little bit of random RP doing it.

On top of that, I've seen a TON of events going on. We had a small personal party with our FC the other evening, there was a bar crawl going on last night, and there's another event going on tonight at the Silver Bazaar. There's also a larger event, a Black and White Ball in the works, though the date for that is not yet set.

All in all, I'm happy here. One of our new recruits just transferred from Balmung and told me they preferred the community here, so the server "issue" is definitely one of choice. While our community isn't as large, my personal experience is that I find less trolling here than when I'm on my Balmung alt.

RE: The Decline of Gilgamesh - Ambrosa - 06-27-2014

If Gilgamesh is burning or dying or declining as everyone here thus far seems to claim, then it is truly the fault of the community at large, and not these 'clique' groups as some have mentioned!

I have been trying to recruit for a RP company for MONTHS!! and even with Drift and Wayward and all the others rage quitting over stupid crap (face it.. that's all this is.. stupid and petty crap.  It's a game.  Play to have fun and ignore the drama unless it's a planned part of the story.), you would think that a RP Company that is trying to start would get a few people from these sinking wrecks... but have I?

Not one single person has noticed, spoken to, or asked any questions about my company, it's RP ideals or even given interest to join.  Not one!  You've all been more then happy to play the rats and call this a sinking ship.

You want to say Gilgamesh is on the decline and try to point fingers.  Point away.. just get the target and direction right.