Hydaelyn Role-Players
An Unscheduled Luncheon [Completed] - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: An Unscheduled Luncheon [Completed] (/showthread.php?tid=7510)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

An Unscheduled Luncheon [Completed] - Coatleque - 06-27-2014

Lady Crofte sat once again in the Quicksand as a patron. Her legs were crossed under her dress and her gloved hands folded on the table before her. She simply stared at the table lost in her own thoughts as she repeated the words of her Captain in her head. Thankful she had come out relatively unscathed, she still found herself thrust into the role of inspector and was almost wishing it had been back to guard duty.

It had just reached mid-day. The tavern was still mostly empty, as its typical patrons were still sleeping off the previous day's ale. Uncharacteristically quiet. She planned to enjoy it at least a few moments more before returning to her duties this eve.

RE: An Unscheduled Luncheon [semi-closed] - Warren Castille - 06-27-2014

Warren had only intended to stop down on the main level for a moment, hoping to catch a quick bite to eat to try and stave off what remained of his hunger after breakfast. He looked much better than he had when dragging himself in but still appeared to be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. It was more apparent with him out of his armor; He wasn't ready to put himself back on duty yet and chose instead to wear the comfortable clothes he felt he could relax in. His posture seemed slumped, however; Weighted with something intangible that led his arms to hang loose and his eyes to seem sullen.

He fell into habits, though, while waiting to get someone's attention behind the bar. Warren scanned the room, the quiet a clue enough that there wouldn't be many patrons but he caught himself tripping over the woman at the table. His goal was dismissed for a time and he crossed, gesturing towards an empty chair across from her and waiting to be invited.

"Lady Crofte," He said politely, ducking his head in a bow. "I almost didn't recognize you."

RE: An Unscheduled Luncheon [semi-closed] - Coatleque - 06-27-2014

Hearing her name suddenly snapped her thoughts back to reality. She looked up at the one who addressed her. "Oh, Ser Castille! My, but I could say the same." She looked the man over before settling her eyes upon his face. "You look troubled. Perhaps you would like to sit a while?"

Warren studied her as she looked up at him, registering her surprise and suddenly feeling as if he was intruding. He keeps his tone conversational in his reply.

"This? You've seen me out of armor before. It's a bit of a shock on this end, though." He takes the seat and folds his hands in his lap, leaning back and eyeing her carefully. "You look troubled yourself."

She tilts her head to the right, following the weight of her beret.

"Am I truly an open book? Aye, I have been left to my thoughts after meeting my Captain earlier. He was not gentile, though it was no less than I deserved I suppose. I seem to have come out no worse for wear. I must consider my course carefully going forward. But what of you Ser? I had heard rumor of you departing the city under some angst. I had not seen much of you lately either. Is all well?"

Warren's expression was painted with clear conflict for a moment. He sighed and looked around at the Quicksand's quiet patrons, the few in attendance focused on their drinks or meals.

"I gotta be honest, it's been- well, it's hard." His eyes cast away from her, leaning forward and folding his hands. His usual demeanor is nowhere to be found. "Something terrible's happened, and I'm pretty sure that Howl's-"

Warren stopped and ran a hand over his face and the top of his head, pressing hard to keep it from shaking. "I think he died."

"Howl? Your friend from the Grindstone?"
She looked taken aback for a moment till she saw the pain in his expression.

"Ser Castille.. Warren. I am sorry. But, why do you say he is dead? What has happened?"

"I don't- He was- It's a long story." He closes his hands over his face and takes a staggering breath, his hands closing to fists before falling away to reveal his jaw set almost angrily and his eyes boring a hole through the table. He swallows hard and begins again.

"He was looking after someone impo- He was chasing my ex-fiance. She went to Coerthas to kill herself and he tried to rescue her. They're both gone." His features drop suddenly, his eyes squeezing shut and his mouth momentarily hanging open in a mask of pain. He crashes his fist down to the table and makes a loud bang before his expression changes to one of seething frustration.

"I looked for them. I didn't find anything. He's from the desert, he couldn't have-" His glove noisily strains as he tightens his fist, knuckles going white.

She jumps as his fist slams the table.
"It's okay, Warren. You don't know where they are. Perhaps they did not even reach Coerthas. Do you know what path they took?"

See sees the strain in his fingers and reaches out to place her hand over his fist.

"He told me on pearl. I could hear the storm. I heard everything." His gaze remains fixed on a position away from them both, though the tension in his hand lessens a small degree when she makes him aware he's doing it.

"I was in Coerthas for a few days, until you recalled me. I was searching. They saw her arrive in Dragonhead and head out, and saw Howl follow her. Neither were dressed for the cold. I didn't find anything out there, just ice." He speaks slowly, as if searching the words as they fall out for something he'd missed.

"Damn near killed my chocobo doing it, too. He's sick, bedded down at a stable there." He looks up for the first time since his tangent, smiling sadly. "Couldn't take him through the Aether, you know? The birds don't like it much."

She watched him as he relayed what he knew, trying to gain what understanding of the situation she could. "That was what you were doing when I called upon you? Why did you come? I should not have taken you away from your duty like that."

Her head turns away for a brief moment of thought. "I had mentioned my dreams to you that day as well, of how Nymeia placed you in them. I saw you, as I said, embattled with a great beast. Neither you or it prevailed, but whenever you gained the advantage it would only grow larger and try to overtake you once more."

She looks back to the Knight. "You must not give in to despair, Ser Castille. You will find them. And if not, then knowledge of their fate at the least. Until then, do not say they are dead."

Warren keeps eye contact until she breaks it, willing himself to keep a strong facade.

"When you called, I'd already been looking for two days. I don't mean a few bells, either. Remember the strange meeko who was asking about joining the Sworn? I heard right after leaving you there. I didn't, uh, sleep until today." He looks embarrassed, the words reaching his ears out loud instead of internal and he realizes how dumb that sounds.

"I knew time was of the essence, you know? No time to waste. Couldn't afford the downtime." He shakes his head slowly and sadly. "I don't know what good it did. There's snow falling in Coerthas all the time and Ishgard's too busy to concern themselves with the fate of two adventurers. They've got no stake in this, and Coerthas is too large for me to search everything..." His eyes scroll again, looking for something in the patterns of the table and the walls and floor.

"I'm not giving up, but I'm only kidding myself if I think they survived on their own this long with nothing."

She studied his voice as he continued and knew what she must do. The question was whether his pride would keep her at length.

"It seems to me that Ul'dah has suffered an influx of Ishgardians as of late. I believe it is time for Coerthas to suffer the reverse. That is, if you would have me."

She smiled slightly and tilted her head.

"If only to keep you sane when the beast returns."

Warren's brow furrowed and he looked at her questioningly, unsure of what she was saying despite his ears understanding.

"You're offering to help?" His tone is inquisitive and not entirely understanding. "I don't know what we could even do. At this point we're looking for-" His image fractured for the merest of moments. "I don't know if we'd find anything. And there are people I need to inform. There's no next of kin for Howl but he had friends, and I doubt Sei's company has a clue. I owe it to them to report my findings." He lifts his head, his mannerisms turning back towards his guarded tone often heard when he's on duty.

She looks at him with a stern expression.
"But you have not found anything yet. Do not make your reports until you have something worth reporting. I've learned this lesson just recently. And if I cannot dissuade you, then at least know that you must needs not return to the cold alone."

She squeezes his hand then releases it returns to her previous position.