Hydaelyn Role-Players
RP classes that don't exist in game! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: RP classes that don't exist in game! (/showthread.php?tid=7579)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RP classes that don't exist in game! - Yangh - 07-05-2014

Ok, now hear me out because... I don't want my dreams crushed.

I love Blue Mage. Everything about it. Its theme, its skill-set, the weapons, the armour, the spells EVERYTHING!!

I DESPERATELY wanted it over Ninja. Stupid Ninja. *pouts*

So, I write this today to ask of two things.

1. What is the likely hood that I could RP the blue mage class? As it stands my concept would be a Scimitar, swordplay and a few choice spells from the monsters of Eorzea. My character is Arabian themed, even speaks in Arabic (Called Akshar ingame). So that covers its middle eastern type origin.

2. If you think this could feasible, I'd like to ask everyone here to help me create a character sheet for the class from an RP stand point. We would choose its skills predominantly. I feel if we all had a say in WHAT skill they could have from the monsters of the world (Nothing OP) we could create Blue Mage RP template that could be distributed for others that wanted to RP a Blue Mage.

Of course if Blue Mage were ever released we'd not need it but lets face it, we ALL have had that niggling though when you see mob us En Aero and said to ourselves;

"Dammit SE! WHEN'S RED MAGE?!"

If we could make it work for Blue Mage, Red mage is easy! Everything is already in front of us... we just need to put it altogether.

Please, please, please! Do not turn this thread into a flame war, constructive criticism and ideas ONLY. If you do not like the idea, say so in a fashion that displays it in an orderly manner.

Thank you! ♥

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Ciel - 07-05-2014

One mage
Two mage
Red Mage
Blue Mage.

Actually Red Mage is fairly easy to finagle because of how some cross-class abilities work.  You just wouldn't be able to do it with a soul crystal equipped unless/until it becomes an actual thing.  Something to keep in mind if you're going to try and do any IC dungeon runs at higher levels.

Blue Mage is the toughy because of its reliance on monster abilities, but I think as a non-Soul Crystal bearing class-based template, it can be somewhat rigged to work for the sake RP purposes, and it would work similar to Red Mage as noted above.  Just have to be a little more creative and see which existing cross-classing spells and abilities come close to existing monster abilities and go from there.

Second Wind, for example, could be substituted for White Wind, of some similar monster self-healing ability.

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Yangh - 07-05-2014

(07-05-2014, 09:51 PM)Ciel Wrote: One mage
Two mage
Red Mage
Blue Mage.

Actually Red Mage is fairly easy to finagle because of how some cross-class abilities work.  You just wouldn't be able to do it with a soul crystal equipped unless/until it becomes an actual thing.

Blue Mage is the toughy because of its reliance on monster abilities, but I think as a non-Soul Crystal bearing class-based template, it can be somewhat rigged to work for the sake RP purposes, and it would work similar to Red Mage as noted above.  Just have to be a little more creative and see which existing cross-classing spells and abilities come close to existing monster abilities and go from there.
 Ciel! You pretty Elezen you... you've just made my evening!

I plan to pick 8 monster skills of varying ability's. Blue Mage to me was always about versatility. Then i'd offset that weakish spell power with some elegant sword play. I'd really like to have a mechanic that suggests offensive spells could only be cast if a specific sword maneuver was to be performed and landed its target.

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Erik Mynhier - 07-05-2014

It sounds like a real fun character to play with. As for how, like the pretty lady above me stated, just get creative with cross class skills. I myself do this as a future story for Erik involves him becoming a Dark Knight. Its an ic secret but I let it slip in here and there with B4B, and will pretend untul SE gives me back my darkness... damn ninjas.

I thought to make the power of Blue Spells the weapon itself. I agree that Blue Mage would be a crystaless class. I described the scimitar as ornate with sweeping Arabic text on the flat of the blade along with 8 different coloured gems set in the hilt. So I think a monster skill is stored in each gem and the user must hold the sword to use the power sort of deal. Does that sound plausible?

I want to stress once more! If we as a COMMUNITY decide to accept this proposal I would like us as a COMMUNITY to flesh out the concept to be used by any who would like it.

I'd like us all to decide on the skill set of a Blue Mage until we actually get one (Again, damn ninjas!!!)

I think that is a fair distribution and while not all read these forums on the RP side of things a lot of us do and most of us are very opened minded to lore bending for correct purposes!

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Kellach Woods - 07-05-2014

And I wanted Mimic but that one's easy to RP. Put on a mask, get everything to 50, make a completely nuts build, here you go!

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Gray - 07-05-2014

I think it's a good idea, and a good thing you are approaching it so carefully.  My general rule for these things is "If there is no lore established, I am free to work with it, within reason."  So as long as you don't directly go -against- anything that's been laid out, you're fine.

If the actual class ever -were- released, that could cause some issues, but nothing we couldn't work through.  If nothing else, it coul dbe a derivitive of the blue mage that is passed down through your tribe or something, but not be the exact blue mage we get.  That would leave it lore friendly, but give you the freedom to experiment amd mpt be hard bound to the blue mage lore SE gives us. (again, within reason.)

As for coming up with a character sheet and, skills, rp template, you can grab me pretty much anytime I'm not at work and we could brainstorm.

Personally, I'd like to see you do this with your character.  It would be interesting, and I think your "sword dance" mechanic sounds neat.  There will of course be lore nazis and people who will spit on your idea, but you know what?  You don't want to rp with them anyway.  Your idea is -not- currently going against lore.  You're merely working in the grey area.  I like that.

Based on the feed back I've gotten so far I've begun to flesh out how it may all work using current lore.

The scimitar itself IS the power. No soul gem. This would be a watered down derivative of something greater. Much like Conjury and White Magery except this would be much more watered down than the difference of Conjury and White Magery.

I propose to use the Gem's like permanent reusable aether crystals that store the essence of a monster killed within it. So its aether is drawn in and can be activated by running the wielder's aether through the sword after a specific sword dance combination for each.

Obtaining the skill would be step one, learning to use it would be an entirely different step. A much harder one that comes with backlash effects if not performed correctly.

I'd also like to propose that because the sword itself is the power, disarming said Psuedo Blue Mage would disable their ability to USE said skills.

A nice draw back for a cool concept... and a balancing one at that.

Thoughts?

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - MrPoopyButtHole - 07-06-2014

Love it Yangh. Very balanced indeed. I am fully in support of this epicness.

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Val - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 12:07 AM)ForbieJD Wrote: Love it Yangh. Very balanced indeed. I am fully in support of this epicness.

Agreed with this. Not only do I like the idea as a whole, but I also like that you've taken steps to balance it and make sure it doesn't become entirely OP and, on top of that, asked for a more community-accepted opinion.

I like how it has come together and, while it has the potential to be very formidable indeed, it also has the potential to be thoroughly useless. Wonderful!

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Vysce the Lad - 07-06-2014

I don't see too much of an issue. As long as you don't over-do it, you know. I.e. make it sound as though you've invented the job or anything. I like to kinda gamble and pre-rp classes that I think will be in game. I rp my alt as if he was a Black Knight, for example, but because of events in the past he smashed his weapon. That way, by the time I could say he re-forges it, the expansion for Black Knight will come out. Here's hoping anyway~

But I never come out and say that's what he is, just sort of heavily imply it. It'll make the story that much more powerful when SE provides the means. It seems like they're saving the popular classes for the paid expansion too. Like, everyone likes Red Mage. . . SE probably picked up on that and wants some of your monies for it :3

Never lose hope!~ Moogle

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - ArmachiA - 07-06-2014

Am I the only one who isn't comfortable with people RPing classes that don't exist?

I mean we just don't know what SE is going to do. Look at Thief, if a bunch of people who decided to rp it before it was announced, they'd be SoL now because SE has come in and said Thief wouldn't work lore wise so they changed it to rogue and all rogues turn into Ninja. That's a lot of retconning.

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - McBeefâ„¢ - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 04:07 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Am I the only one who isn't comfortable with people RPing classes that don't exist?

I mean we just don't know what SE is going to do. Look at Thief, if a bunch of people who decided to rp it before it was announced, they'd be SoL now because SE has come in and said Thief wouldn't work lore wise so they changed it to rogue and all rogues turn into Ninja. That's a lot of retconning.

I don't think so. I think it's ok as long as you keep things rather subdued. Does it really matter if someone said they were a thief? What's the difference between a thief and a rogue, semantics really. In the same way someone might say they're a tracker or a poacher instead of an archer. They could be a gladiator without a shield and say they're a samurai or a alchemist being a chemist as a combat class.

Or if someone wants to have a sword equipped and cast some spells (red mage) I think that's ok too. In the end of the day it's all about using classes to create better stories. If people are claiming to be a dark knight or a time mage for powergaming that's one thing, but if not, who cares, let people have their fun. Especially with martial classes. No reason someone couldn't be a samurai, for example.

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - 岡本 秀樹 - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 04:07 AM)ArmachiA Wrote: Am I the only one who isn't comfortable with people RPing classes that don't exist?

You also need to remember that FFXIV has taken Jobs from previous final fantasy games normal classes but the games actual classes that build into those jobs did not really exist in previous FF games. Rogue builds into Ninja and while it seems similar to Thief. They specifically avoid using the term thief. I believe Thief WILL be added into the game later on as a job and that a Rogue and thief are too very different things. So someone roleplaying as a thief is perfectly entitled to do so. Regardless thief is not just a class, anyone who wants to steal stuff could be a thief. So just calling yourself a thief is not really something foreign to the FFXIV world as it is in all worlds.

RE: RP classes that don't exist in game! - Val - 07-06-2014

(07-06-2014, 04:38 AM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote:

I don't think so. I think it's ok as long as you keep things rather subdued. Does it really matter if someone said they were a thief? What's the difference between a thief and a rogue, semantics really. In the same way someone might say they're a tracker or a poacher instead of an archer. 

This, pretty much. What your character is labelled as really has little to do with how the lore follows. Val wields a lance, for example. He's far more proficient with daggers, but the lance is to catch people off guard and buy him time to figure out how his opponent fights. 

So long as you aren't strictly saying the background of the class as a whole (such as where the art was formed, where everyone studied, etc etc) then I don't think it really matters. As for skills, why limit oneself to simply in-game abilities so long as they aren't OP? If a Ninja wants to ninpo a fireball and it ends up not being in game, I don't care. The tools are all pretty much there in the world, and the trailer already showed them at least /using/ ninpo (or a form of it). As for how that actually /works/? Keep it simple enough so that you can change what needs to be changed. 

Same goes for Blue Mage imo. If they want to use the sword/dance stuff, I don't see why they can't and then later find some form/art/whatever that allows them to use it more (or less) proficiently as deemed by whatever lore may or may not be inside the game at a future date.