Hydaelyn Role-Players
Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) (/showthread.php?tid=7670)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Melodia - 07-15-2014

Okay, so in the Limsa Lominsa Contacts thread, the subject came up about establishing a group of folks who play as Yellowjackets inside the city, to serve as antagonists to the more shady, underworld types.

I have an alt, Melodia D'janz, who has been literally unused and is almost an impossible character to use as I had initially developed. So I am revamping her and want to work her as a Yellowjacket.

What I am looking for are others who might be interested in this. I am thinking this would be a good place to brainstorm ideas and get maybe some input from those that play in the Sultansworn or Brass Blades and get any advice on how to effectively run this type of thing so that it works. Smile 

So please, let me know if you are interested and please leave any thoughts that might help.

We have a real opportunity to expand the rp scene in the server and I am excited to help make that happen. Thumbsup

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Zhavi - 07-15-2014

I'm super supportive of this. Though my hand lies more in the criminal side of things, I can definitely have an occasional alt to pop over and indulge in some barracks humor.

But to kinda pop in with the option from the Connections thread -- something to consider would be doing a unit that is sort of the dregs. Enough authority to scare the criminals interested in having a police force to work with (against?) while at the same time offering legit outs for those who oocly do not want to interact with law enforcement icly.

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Melodia - 07-15-2014

This I wouldn't mind. Melodia was initially supposed to be a villain so playing a less than scrupulous city guard might be a good way to play her and make her playable in general. Plus would keep it fun.

I know when I see them in the game I do not hold the image of super formality in my mind with them that I do the Sultansworn. So I think a rough-and-tumble type group would fit the character of the city.

Hell even the Admiral herself is pretty damn tough so yeah, I agree.

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Xydane - 07-15-2014

Ruru, you've just made this RPer very happy. Now Xydane gets to piss off the Yellowjackets for sure!

[Image: tumblr_lscbfaQtG91qik7kl.gif]

I'll be keeping an eye out on this thread. Thumbsup

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Melodia - 07-16-2014

LOL!! Well I aim to please! Smile

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Aduu Avagnar - 07-16-2014

that sounds really cool, I know that we have in Ul'dah, both a Sultansworn presence, as well as those of us that RP as members of the Flames, so to have a similar thing going on for Limsa is fantastic Smile

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Melodia - 07-16-2014

Yeah, if we can get some folks on board, I think it would be fantastic. We already have a core group of people in the the city that play on the other side of the law, so I really feel that it if we can set up folks to play on the opposite side, it will set up an solid rp dynamic within the city. Smile  That in place, other rp'ers and new folks will have a place to interact more openly.

At least I think so. Smile

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - TheBlob - 07-16-2014

Omg I have the perfect character for thiiiiiis.

Madeline Rhett: got into the jackets just to prove that any idiot can do it.  

... Wait...

Hehe

..... But I'm so invested in Daphine and Andy right now I'm not sureI'd have proper time for her.

Let me know how this pans out. I can always alt-play while on my main in an LS and hop over when applicable. 

Good luck, Ruru!

(07-16-2014, 09:49 AM)ShayRei Wrote: Omg I have the perfect character for thiiiiiis.

Madeline Rhett: got into the jackets just to prove that any idiot can do it.  

... Wait...

Hehe

..... But I'm so invested in Daphine and Andy right now I'm not sureI'd have proper time for her.

Let me know how this pans out. I can always alt-play while on my main in an LS and hop over when applicable. 

Good luck, Ruru!
Oh no worries. By shifting my alt Melodia to this it's a bit of a challenge story wise for her, but lol...I think she'd be more at home in Andy's business than in the Yellowjackets. Tongue

But, I need to work a bit with her in game to get her to a place I feel more comfortable using her. And she would by no means replace Ruru for time. I think I can invest a decent amount with her especially in terms of getting stuff established. And if your alt is part that would be awesome. But initially I am going to try and get the ball rolling with Melodia and show folks that this is a good option. Smile

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Rosekitten - 07-16-2014

I'd be up for trying to help with this.. though doing this and keeping to the fc's story might prove entertaining :3

I can't really give much information on the Yellow Jackets or how to go about setting up a group like that.. but here to offer support or help XD ...

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Melodia - 07-17-2014

(07-16-2014, 09:56 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: I'd be up for trying to help with this.. though doing this and keeping to the fc's story might prove entertaining :3

I can't really give much information on the Yellow Jackets or how to go about setting up a group like that.. but here to offer support or help XD ...
I think initially we just want to get a few people to actually rp in the roles.

I would throw the question out to those that play Sultansworn, or Brass Blades. When you are rp'ing in the official duty status in the city, how are you doing that? I mean, do you guys report to someone when you log in? Do you just wander? The questions sound silly, but I think we want to do it right and you guys seem to be doing it right. So, please pass along your advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Coatleque - 07-17-2014

Honestly, I just sort of assumed the role and the rest of the community just fell in line. that's what makes it so much fun. I had also read other people's stories and backgrounds so I had some idea of who already held rank in their own arcs.

I only assumed a sergeant rank because Natalie held it and was on suspension, for example. I fully intended to step down if her suspension ended.

Otherwise, you just sort of RP as things happen and go from there. If the community wasn't so amazing the whole law enforcement idea wouldn't even work.

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Warren Castille - 07-17-2014

(07-17-2014, 08:00 AM)Rurutani Wrote: I would throw the question out to those that play Sultansworn, or Brass Blades. When you are rp'ing in the official duty status in the city, how are you doing that? I mean, do you guys report to someone when you log in? Do you just wander? The questions sound silly, but I think we want to do it right and you guys seem to be doing it right. So, please pass along your advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

I don't quite count so take my answer with a grain (or glass) of salt, but I got my "start" by just looming over the Quicksand in uniform. The folks roleplaying around me seemed to acknowledge Warren's presence and it just sort of clicked into place. My advice would be to get a convincing uniform and just wander RP circuits. Emote that you're observing people. Make smalltalk with NPCs. I've got a hunch that most of the folks into skullduggery would acknowledge you.

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Melodia - 07-17-2014

(07-17-2014, 08:27 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: [quote pid=96360 dateline=1405598455]
I don't quite count so take my answer with a grain (or glass) of salt, but I got my "start" by just looming over the Quicksand in uniform. The folks roleplaying around me seemed to acknowledge Warren's presence and it just sort of clicked into place. My advice would be to get a convincing uniform and just wander RP circuits. Emote that you're observing people. Make smalltalk with NPCs. I've got a hunch that most of the folks into skullduggery would acknowledge you.

[/quote]
Yeah I thought about this. It wouldn't be too hard since the Yellowjacket uniform is fairly easy. and there are a few shady souls that are in the Wench and Member (LOL a new tavern name). I like the idea. Hell thats how Coatleque caught Ruru's attention when she came to Limsa; although not in uniform, her conversation with the innkeep caught his attention real fast.

RE: Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion) - Erik Mynhier - 07-17-2014

(07-17-2014, 08:00 AM)Rurutani Wrote:
(07-16-2014, 09:56 PM)Rosekitten Wrote: I'd be up for trying to help with this.. though doing this and keeping to the fc's story might prove entertaining :3

I think initially we just want to get a few people to actually rp in the roles.

I would throw the question out to those that play Sultansworn, or Brass Blades. When you are rp'ing in the official duty status in the city, how are you doing that? I mean, do you guys report to someone when you log in? Do you just wander? The questions sound silly, but I think we want to do it right and you guys seem to be doing it right. So, please pass along your advice. It would be greatly appreciated.
Ok, here we go, this is via trial and error, feeling out the line as to where we can go without crossing. Also let me say I welcome this to the inth level as it could yield fantastic cross-city rp where maybe a fugitive crosses borders or where a citizen of a city dies in another and coordination is required by both agencies. The possibilities are endless. That said, here are some tips.

1. You will need a charismatic leader. A symbol played by a conscientious RPer. Someone who can play the ideal yellowjacket, a shining symbol of what a yellowjacket at their best should be according to common morality as well as game lore. Also the RPer must lead by example, never by order. We are all playing a game here and claiming leadership in rp circles is poison. The leader must understand that and work within that idea.

2. Be inclusive, go yellow, but remember and take note of other groups in your city. After you start this, other rpers playing other forms of authority will grow out naturally. Being inclusive can lead to fun rp, and also reduce the chance that the two groups will step on eachother's toes.

3. Make a LS and add every person in uniform. They don't all RP as yellows granted, but it crossed their minds if they are high level and still feel the need to run around in it. And overhearing chatter over the LS will draw attention to what your doing, and even if they aren't into it, they will point your way when they see someone wanting to join.

4. No matter how well you know your "villain", never, ever, ever, ever, attack, approach, arrest, or assert ANY authority over a player without going over it with them first. Even if it is a long standing rp and you know eachother and whatever, do not engage until you have given warning and gained approval. The other player must be respected, and you can make a thrilling RP that totally has a heroic spin, but you have to be very careful.

5. The most important piece of advice. You are RPing as authority, by the lore and setting of this game, you are gaining what many will fear is undue control over every character in your city. Many will turn on you as soon as you open your mouth. All you can do is build the trust. And hold it. By taking this route you are excepting a huge responsibility, as well as a huge target on your chest. You will be accused of metagaming, and everything else for unexpected reasons. You have to stick it out. In time if you are helpful and respectful ooc, and a good character ic, you will in time gain trust and people will not suspect every action.... just some of them. RPing as authority is no joke, be careful.