Hydaelyn Role-Players
Drugs in Eorzea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Lore Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Drugs in Eorzea (/showthread.php?tid=7740)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Drugs in Eorzea - Raz - 07-21-2014

Doing some digging for a plot I'm cobbling together. The only drug I can think of is Somnus, in which the main ingrediant is Dream Flowers. I'm pretty sure an NPC said it can be either smoked or ingested. I assume it's supposed to be akin to what, marujanna, opium? only far more potent?

I realise that there isn't going to be much lore about such things, but I'm curious if anybody has come across any dialogue/ item descriptions that I may have missed that allude to the use of/ different kinds of drugs.

Edit: Apologies for any atrocious spelling errors, I'm on my phone. Frustrated

Edit edit: Don't do drugs, stay in school!

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Warren Castille - 07-21-2014

Don't remember the name of it but sure remember the fight:
Show Content

Sorry I can't be more specific.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Ciel - 07-21-2014

I could see somnus being rendered into some sort of tincture, like laudanum.  Also... moko grass, which is used to make hempen yarn.  I mean come on... it's hemp.  It's just probably not terribly potent, if at all.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Lightningtear - 07-21-2014

I'm not sure if it's another name for Somnus but a friend of mine mentioned drug called "Dream Ink" I think. It's supposed to be an intense hallucinogenic. There is a plot going on with it among some players, sort of hidden in the background. I don't know much about it myself but I'm sure someone else will. 

Take note, I believe that is a player created drug concept, perhaps taken from Somnus and expanded upon. But people, some people, do know it's existence.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Faye - 07-21-2014

(07-21-2014, 09:33 PM)Lightningtear Wrote: I'm not sure if it's another name for Somnus but a friend of mine mentioned drug called "Dream Ink" I think. It's supposed to be an intense hallucinogenic. There is a plot going on with it among some players, sort of hidden in the background. I don't know much about it myself but I'm sure someone else will. 

Take note, I believe that is a player created drug concept, perhaps taken from Somnus and expanded upon. But people, some people, do know it's existence.

You can find some information on Dream Ink here Big Grin

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Raz - 07-21-2014

Thanks all! It's not a plot in and of itself, so it won't hurt to be vague. Smile

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Sylvain - 07-21-2014

(07-21-2014, 09:32 PM)Ciel Wrote: I could see somnus being rendered into some sort of tincture, like laudanum.  Also... moko grass, which is used to make hempen yarn.  I mean come on... it's hemp.  It's just probably not terribly potent, if at all.
My character uses it as a 'sleep-aid'.

After seeing other statements about it, it would be very silly to use as a sleep aid. When I looked up the drugs of Eorzea I read it to be something not as severe. Can't skimp on that stuff.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Faye - 07-21-2014

Off topic: Just noticed OP has the same last name as my alt. Twinsies.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Hyakki - 07-21-2014

(07-21-2014, 09:24 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Don't remember the name of it but sure remember the fight:
Show Content

Sorry I can't be more specific.

The drug was called Pluto and was used by the main antagonist in the last pugilist quest.

This thread might be a helpful reference for you, Raz.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Raz - 07-21-2014

(07-21-2014, 09:51 PM)Faye Wrote: Off topic: Just noticed OP has the same last name as my alt. Twinsies.

/shocked. I always wanted a twin!

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Naunet - 07-21-2014

(07-21-2014, 09:16 PM)Raz Wrote: I assume it's supposed to be akin to marujanna, only far more potent?  

I got the impression that somnus is a great deal more dangerous than marijuana and not really similar in effect either. There are suggestions that it's intensely hallucinatory, and you can slip into a coma and die.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Aerghwab - 07-21-2014

Somnus is basically opium. Fun fact: the opium poppy's scientific name is papaver somniferum, named for what Roman god of sleep? If you guessed Somnus, you are our grand prize winner! Big Grin

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - LiadansWhisper - 07-22-2014

Milkweed/Milkweed Milk is described as a highly addictive hallucinogen made from the pods of Milkweed plant thingies.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Rosekitten - 07-22-2014

I don't really have much to add here but a few old FC mates of mine use to make a joke of someone in our group smoking all the Moko grass whenever we ran out during beta due to testing the crafting system. xP

Though now if I find anything in flavor text here or there I'll surely let you know.

RE: Drugs in Eorzea - Tiergan - 07-22-2014

The main thing I remember was from the old "Eorzean Lore and Facts" thread that compiled a lot of 1.0 info.

Blackroot Rose Syndrome: The leaves of the Blackroot Rose, when consumed, cause nightmarish visions and induce extreme fits of violence.

Not exactly a drug you'd want to use for yourself, but I'd bet criminals would find lots of creative use for those leaves.