Hydaelyn Role-Players
Suggestion for Site/Forums - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Suggestion for Site/Forums (/showthread.php?tid=7816)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Melkire - 07-30-2014

(07-30-2014, 04:53 PM)Zhavi Wrote: Maaaaan, why do people gotta go and change terminology for things when I'm not looking.  That's cheating.

It's been known as a shoutbox in BB for at least a decade. Showing your age, Zhi....

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - FreelanceWizard - 07-30-2014

The zeitgeist strikes again -- I was thinking about this yesterday, then I got a PM asking about it, and now this thread appears. Smile

Once we get onto AWS (Real Soon Now -- like next week, probably) and get all of our software upgraded, chat is something that I think I'd like to consider. Bandwidth isn't too big of an issue there, nor is CPU, but we need to make sure that the plugin integrates well with the site and that it doesn't have any security vulnerabilities. Alternatively, sure, I could put up an IRC server or TinyMUSH and a little Flash telnet client that points right there. I'm quite familiar with those. Smile

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Merri - 07-30-2014

We actually used to have a chatbox deal a few years back, though it was eventually removed as it barely saw any use. Granted, back then, our active community on the forums was probably 20-30 people strong at best. We had quite a few lulls in activity during 1.0 for various reasons.

I think it'd be a handy tool, now, given this community is bustling with active users these days.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 07-30-2014

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE. (I had to look up what zeitgeist meant.)

Any live chatbox sorta integrated to the site (so it shouldn't affect with filters and such?) would work for me~

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Zhavi - 07-31-2014

(07-30-2014, 04:56 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(07-30-2014, 04:53 PM)Zhavi Wrote: Maaaaan, why do people gotta go and change terminology for things when I'm not looking.  That's cheating.

It's been known as a shoutbox in BB for at least a decade. Showing your age, Zhi....

You're supposed to wait to reply to me until after I go in for the stealth edit. ;_;

(I edit so many things. So many...)

(07-30-2014, 04:57 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: The zeitgeist strikes again -- I was thinking about this yesterday, then I got a PM asking about it, and now this thread appears. Smile

Once we get onto AWS (Real Soon Now -- like next week, probably) and get all of our software upgraded, chat is something that I think I'd like to consider. Bandwidth isn't too big of an issue there, nor is CPU, but we need to make sure that the plugin integrates well with the site and that it doesn't have any security vulnerabilities. Alternatively, sure, I could put up an IRC server or TinyMUSH and a little Flash telnet client that points right there. I'm quite familiar with those. Smile

How about you get an IRC thing going in the meantime? That way you can make sure it's even worth the effort based off of actual use it gets, and then we all get our chatting urges scratched until the switch is made and stuff?

Pretty pleeeease. Big Grin

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Nyx Ashkala - 07-31-2014

I wouldn't mind having an Oekaki board or a doodle chat, personally >>;...I like to draw when I talk to people x.x...

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 08-01-2014

(07-31-2014, 11:33 AM)Zhavi Wrote: How about you get an IRC thing going in the meantime?  That way you can make sure it's even worth the effort based off of actual use it gets, and then we all get our chatting urges scratched until the switch is made and stuff?

Pretty pleeeease.  Big Grin
Like a mibbit thing?

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Zhavi - 08-01-2014

Like a mibbit thing?
[/quote]

Yup! You're able to connect to irc things from mibbit.

Jeez it's been forever since I used mibbit.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-01-2014

CHAT PLEASE. I need to goof around, IN REAL TIME.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Kage - 08-01-2014

I am so ready for a mibbit. Or otherwise.

Chat chat chat

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Edgar - 08-01-2014

Being able to switch between colour/background themes for the site.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Coatleque - 11-25-2014

I have a request from the wiki side of things.
How about investigating some additional extensions or modules?

What I'd like to do is use JavaScript to condense my page and add mouse-over pop-ups to certain items. I know there are modules out there to do this, but no way to import them into singular pages.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - FreelanceWizard - 11-25-2014

Custom JS is something I don't want to enable for security reasons. A wily user could write some custom JS to hijack session cookies, for instance. ExtensionBig GrinynBox is the only extension that I'm aware of that does pop-ups, but I also know there's stuff you can do in the MediaWiki namespace, similar to how we style the site.

If there's a specific extension or mod you have in mind, just point me to it and I'll take a look at it. Smile One extension I'm still mulling over is MobileFrontend to give a nice mobile view for the wiki, but that breaks the tabs extension, unfortunately.

To address some older stuff here: I'm still planning on doing chat, though I may need to pass around the collection plate for that (since there might be both licensing costs and a new AWS instance required). Theme changes are something I'm reviewing; just as I had to change the wiki's skin to get MW 1.23 working, I may have to change the forum skin to make certain forum changes to work. If I do that, then I'll likely be playing a game similar to what we do on the wiki (taking the base skin and overriding with CSS), which will mean I can offer more theme options.

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Zhavi - 11-25-2014

(11-25-2014, 01:40 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: To address some older stuff here: I'm still planning on doing chat, though I may need to pass around the collection plate for that (since there might be both licensing costs and a new AWS instance required). Theme changes are something I'm reviewing; just as I had to change the wiki's skin to get MW 1.23 working, I may have to change the forum skin to make certain forum changes to work. If I do that, then I'll likely be playing a game similar to what we do on the wiki (taking the base skin and overriding with CSS), which will mean I can offer more theme options.

I'll gladly toss some monies into that plate!

Thanks for all your hard work. <3

RE: Suggestion for Site/Forums - Coatleque - 11-25-2014

(11-25-2014, 01:40 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: If there's a specific extension or mod you have in mind, just point me to it and I'll take a look at it. Smile

I'm not very well versed in wikicode or extensions, mind you, but from a quick-and-dirty search, here is one that would do what I'm thinking:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Tooltip

If you know of another way to accomplish a mouseover tooltip, I would default to the web admin! What I was thinking of was a way to condense the "relationships" section of a page so you just mouse-over the persons name to see a description rather than having page bloat.