Hydaelyn Role-Players
Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Appropriateness/Innapropriate (/showthread.php?tid=787)

Pages: 1 2

Appropriateness/Innapropriate - DAISHI - 10-02-2010

What worse are inappropriate? I understand the "F" word is generally unkosher, but what about words like,
@ $ $?

I'm being entirely serious.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Frederique - 10-02-2010

It kind of depends on the company you keep, your guild, and those around you at the time of profanity. Even in character, some people get personally offended. Just watch yourself and take stride on who's listening.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - DAISHI - 10-02-2010

True, but I'm really wondering, as far as these forums go. Because lots of people from here are sailors.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Asytra - 10-02-2010

I try to sway more towards the... "if you would be embarrassed for your mom to read it, then you shouldn't post it" camp myself. I find that being negative, especially vulgarly so, spreads like wildfire and tends to make the whole thread toxic.

If it's IC... then I usually let the games language describe my limits. For example in FFXIV we have a lot of "arse" and other colorful metaphors. Of course this doesn't mean that Asytra has the mouth of a sailor, despite actually BEING a sailor, but it does give me some guidelines. Besides, colorful metaphors do have their place, I mean would Battlestar Galactica be the same with out a few "fraks" here and there?

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Magnus - 10-02-2010

On the forums I believe we can Keep it PG13. I mean the ratings board is really loose with that now. They even allow one non-sexual F-bomb in a movie and it passes PG13. But honestly that should only be IC. OOC I'm sure we can expand our vocabulary and think of better ways to express ourselves than resorting to profanities.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Rikitiki - 10-02-2010

You can always invent your own swearwords.

Or borrow from Battlestar Galactica (Frack!) or Nodwick (Krutz!) or even The Stainless Steel Rat ("What is this, cagal your buddy week?" "It's always cagal your buddy week.") Big Grin

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Freyar - 10-02-2010

That or just self-censor. I have no problems using asterisks in place of expletives and I'd rather do that then let some auto-censor system do it.

That said, if an auto-censor system is in place, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - DAISHI - 10-02-2010

I love frack.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Xzenivar - 10-03-2010

I'll always have a fondness for frell Smile

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Asyria - 10-03-2010

Useful non-offensive swear words.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Chveya - 10-03-2010

Xzenivar Wrote:I'll always have a fondness for frell Smile

This. This this this.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Gavin - 10-03-2010

Xzenivar Wrote:I'll always have a fondness for frell Smile

That would be the best frelling dren this side of hezmana.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Chveya - 10-04-2010

Though if you can work in a good 'hoopy' or 'frood', that's always win in my book.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - Nira Muzyka - 10-04-2010

I'm partial to Pock.

Kudo's to anyone who know's where that ones from.

Re: Appropriateness/Innapropriate - UnbeknownstGhost - 10-04-2010

Where's my pocking wrench?!

I personally enjoy using explitives in mixed forms.

i.e. Where the frak are my gosh-damned boots? Or: Who the fiddly-**** do you think you are you tiny, unbearably insignifigant piece of doo-doo.