Hydaelyn Role-Players
Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I (/showthread.php?tid=7978)

Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I - Marisa - 08-15-2014

I probably should have asked this before I hinged an entire character on it, but what's the general consensus behind racial inter-breeding? NPCs like Severian (Alchemy Guild Master) have confirmed that inter-racial couples are a thing, but no children to my knowledge. I'd imagine things like Hyur/Elezen or Hyur/Miqo'te would happen from time to time, but I'm not super confident on my FF14 lore yet. I mean, my experience mostly comes from Warcraft where you can't walk 5 feet without bumping into a half-elf/human, and that's a game where races routinely commit genocide against one another. Surely a society as tolerant as Eorzea has to have some of that going on? 

TL;DR: Lominsan sailor fancies himself a cat girl, she gets knocked up. Am I ruining everything?

RE: Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I - Roswyn - 08-15-2014

(08-15-2014, 06:19 AM)Ryoko Wrote: I probably should have asked this before I hinged an entire character on it, but what's the general consensus behind racial inter-breeding? NPCs like Severian (Alchemy Guild Master) have confirmed that inter-racial couples are a thing, but no children to my knowledge. I'd imagine things like Hyur/Elezen or Hyur/Miqo'te would happen from time to time, but I'm not super confident on my FF14 lore yet. I mean, my experience mostly comes from Warcraft where you can't walk 5 feet without bumping into a half-elf/human, and that's a game where races routinely commit genocide against one another. Surely a society as tolerant as Eorzea has to have some of that going on? 

TL;DR: Lominsan sailor fancies himself a cat girl, she gets knocked up. Am I ruining everything?

I can't remember if it was a live letter or something from E3 but I remember very specifically it being stated that the races of Eorzea were all the same species. They are different races. Like Asians, Blacks, Whites, etc.

This being the case, it would be completely feesable for there to be inter-mixed children. HOWEVER (you knew it was coming)

In my humble opinion, something as extreme as an Elezen/Lala hybrid needs some in game chops behind it first before I would roleplay it as a PC. We don't even know what it would look like.

Hyur/Elezen, Hyur/Miqo, all seem fairly easy to pass visually but anything more extreme is a little immersion breaking for me simply because there is no visual or lore precedent for it. I would advise against until Squeenix gives us a little more to work with.

*Raises flame retardant shielding*

RE: Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I - Coatleque - 08-15-2014

(08-15-2014, 06:38 AM)Roswyn Wrote: Hyur/Elezen, Hyur/Miqo, all seem fairly easy to pass visually but anything more extreme is a little immersion breaking for me simply because there is no visual or lore precedent for it.

As Roswyn said, yes the devs have said inter-racial breeding happens in Eorzea. But there are no in-game models that demonstrate this, nor questlines that mention it.

The only way I could see it happening is that the dominant traits completely override everything else so that if an Elezen and Lalafell did mate their offspring would only look like one of the two parents.

RE: Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I - Raeras - 08-15-2014

I think I read something on the official forums (because I'm pretty sure there's a whole topic on it) where it said that while the inter-breeding was possible between the different races, conception was rare.

RE: Question for people more lore-knowledgeable than I - Bryn - 08-15-2014

Here's the official answer from SE's lore team on breeding between the five races.

Tl;dr: It is possible, and does happen. It is rare, however, due to 'cultural differences'.

So what can we draw from that? It seems that while the 5 races coexist amicably in Eorzea due to their mutual dependency and the trials they've endured together, each of the races maintains the uniqueness of their own racial culture enough that pairing with their own race is very strongly preferred.

This is interesting, given how long the races have shared Eorzea by this point. Eorzeans seem to show a greater resistance to the kind of cultural 'bleeding' and blending we witness on earth when disparate groups come to live together over time.

Perhaps Eorzeans are simply a proud lot, who value their racial heritage enough to make efforts to protect it. This can clearly be seen in the Sea Wolf Roegadyn, who still name their children using the old tongue, despite the fact that these names are often difficult for the other races to pronounce. In my head canon, Highlander Hyur (Ala Mhigans in particular) are similarly proud regarding their heritage.

Or perhaps it is partly because there are significant psychological differences between the races that the desire is not often there, or which makes interracial pairings difficult. At this point, it's tricky to say. But SE has stated that we'll see more lore regarding this at some point in the future, so we can look forward to seeing that.

So the long and short of the issue is; given what SE has said regarding interracial breeding in Eorzea, it's reasonable to make a half-breed character.

Also, while Eorzeans are typically a tolerant bunch, given how rare half-breeds are, it's up to you whether your half-breed character would face prejudice regarding their background.

Other considerations include what Roswyn has already mentioned; the significant physical differences between some of the races make certain combinations... Improbable, at least until SE says otherwise.