Hydaelyn Role-Players
Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Role-Play (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Town Square (IC) (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) (/showthread.php?tid=800)

Pages: 1 2

Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Tyriont - 10-04-2010

(((OOC notes: While I will be leaving this as an open posting, I acknowledge that the scope of people actually interested will be rather limited. The intent behind it is to explain Tyriont's absence while I'm travelling for the next few weeks, as well as give the introduction for another character I'll be using that ties in to his story - and will tie in with the Spectral Wardens as a whole. However, since Ty has established several contacts outside of the Wardens, I decided to post it here instead of on our own boards to allow anyone interested the chance to be the one who...well, you'll see Big Grin Long and boring preamble over, on we go. The following events take place after the events on the evening of 10/3 - the encounter between Crimson Blades and the Spectral Wardens, and Ty's, uh...encounters on the pier in LL))

===========================================================================================

Tyriont stumbled drunkenly along the docks, desperately trying to remember where the Flame was moored. Despite the sea water still dripping down his hair and stinging his eyes, he was still extremely inebriated. He'd played it off, but was amazed that the Roegadyn fellow who had tried the rum had suggested he make it stronger next time...he swore that if it were any more potent it would eat through the bottle. To make matters worse, any time he tried to distract himself from the pounding in his head by retreating into his own thoughts, he kept dwelling on the gnawing guilt in his belly at Oria's reaction when he had touched her face. Gods, he thought, he'd seen that look of fear countless times before in the faces of the deckhands on the ships his crew had raided over the years but had never wanted to see it on the face of someone he cared for.

His legs gave out from beneath him, sending him falling onto the stone walkway. Hauling himself into a sitting position, he rested his back against the nearest wall and rummaged through his bag. Pulling out his last unopened bottle of ale, he uncorked it and drained the contents. Might help him feel less guilty, he decided without really believing his own reasoning. He sat there unmoving for some time, fighting the urge to close his eyes and just sleep. Wouldn't be a smart idea, not with the 'cudas roaming about. Eventually he hauled himself to his feet once again and resumed his drunken search for his home vessel. The sooner he could make his way back to the Flame, the sooner he could rest. Then in the morning he could figure out how to make amends...and start on not drinking for a few days. Rounding the corner, he nodded with self-satisfaction as familiar looking sails came into view at a not too distant dock. As he took a step towards them, he felt a sudden pain in the back of his head and everything went dark.

The muscular looking Hyur standing behind Tyriont twirled the billy-club in his hands before returning it to his belt loop. Moving over to the unconscious Elezen, he rolled Tyriont over with his foot and kicked his side a few times to ensure he was out cold. Satisfied, he muttered into a linkpearl and waited. A moment later, a tall man emerged from a nearby walkway clad in a concealing dark cowl. He crouched next to Tyriont and pulled the hood back to reveal his features. A Duskwight Elezen with flame-red hair pulled back tightly, he was lean almost to the point of looking unhealthy. A tattoo marked his face, shifting slightly as his lips moved into a cruel looking smile. Reaching into his clothing, he produced a vial containing a viscous green goo and pried open Tyriont's mouth, allowing a little of the substance to drip down his throat. Replacing the vial's cork and returning it to his robe, he pulled open Tyriont's belt pouches and began to rifle through them.

"It has been quite some time, Tyriont. Four years, I believe. Drunk to the point of being out of your mind and reeking of salt water...I see little has changed about you." The man stopped his search for a moment to move aside Tyriont's hair, examining the scar on his left cheek. "I see you still bear the mark from our last encounter. Wonderful. That shall make this task all the simpler. Perhaps this time we shall give it a twin." He returned to his search, eventually locating what he was hunting for. He retrieved both a strange looking linkpearl and a card bearing Tyriont's likeness. "Interesting...yes, this shall prove quite useful." The man removed Tyriont's hat and carefully placed the card inside the band, setting it down in the middle of the walkway next to where some blood had clearly fallen from the earlier blow. The Hyur finally spoke up.

"Oi, what you doin' that for, M? 'Cudas 'r gonna fig're it out 'fore too long if y'leave it there. Them, or summat worse". The thin Elezen stood and turned to his companion.

"That would be the point, boy. That is why I instructed you to strike close to his own vessel. It is likely that whomever happens to stumble across the item will recognize the dead Captain. It is in my interests that he is eventually retrieved." He sighed, irritated. "But these are plans of which you neither need to know, nor would be able to comprehend regardless. Gather him up and follow me. Your payment shall follow once we reach my destination." The Hyur shrugged and slung Tyriont over his shoulder. He wasn't going to question, he'd worked for the man before and the pay was always prompt. You don't risk making a guy like that mad, might stop paying you. Once Tyriont was secured they slipped away into the night, leaving only the hat and card in the walkway next to the flecks of blood.

Re: Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Spartle - 10-04-2010

(( *strikes a pose* Cry ))

"Sorry."

'Sorry' was all he had to say to her as he walked away and he didn't explain. 'Sorry' was haunting her mind. 'Sorry' was about to drive her insane. Oria rubbed at tired eyes and pulled herself to her feet, hands patting at her rear to dust away dirt from the pier.

“I’m off, you lot! Let’s meet again!” The young lady presented her best, if tired, smile and waved to the group that had gathered. Happiness, that was what it was called, bubbled up in her chest and exploded in her heart when her companions shouted the same in return. It almost made her forget her original goal. Oria had to find Tyriont and if needed to, force an explanation out of him. What did ‘sorry’ mean anyway!

Oria threw a swing in her hips and swaggered away, arms stretched over her head. Only a bell had passed since she had seen Tyriont stumble his way down the pier and around the corner. He should have made it back by now, but she hadn’t seen him cross the pier on the other side. His ship was in their sights the entire time but she couldn't recall – Oria’s train of thought derailed as her foot kicked something.

“What’s this?” Oria mumbled aloud and crouched down to examine the hat, “Hells, don’t tell me the Cap’n fell off the pier!”

She made to move to the side of the pier but the now dried blood caught her eye which had her scooting back to examine it. Oria moved her hand near the spots of blood. It was not a good sign she couldn’t feel any residual warmth – whatever happened to Tyriont, he was long gone by now.

“Hope that isn’t blood from his face,” Oria grumbled and brushed her fingers along the hat, fingers catching on the card, “That’s the only thing he’s got going for h—what’s this?” The woman squint her eyes in the night, trying to read over the card. She tilted this way and that way in a desperate attempt to find some decent lightning to read. Twelve be damned if she didn’t believe her night sight was getting worse.

Oria shoved herself to her feet once again that night and broke into a jog toward the ship, the hat held close to her chest and the card clutched in one hand. Tears stung at her eyes and picked up the pace, “Damn it, it’s suppose to be the other way around Cap’n! This doesn’t happen in the books!”

She skidded to a halt in front of the ship.

It was out before she knew it, shouting at the top of her lungs.

"Tyriont is not a woman!!"

Re: Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Tyriont - 10-05-2010

Croix paced the deck of the Flame with great irritation. It had been far too long since the crew had heard from their Captain, who had himself created the rule about checking in routinely after the events four years prior. Wandering Lion, Kira and Felix had all returned from scouring Limsa with no real information. Galwind had confirmed that Tyriont had returned to the city, but his movements after that remained a mystery. To make matters worse, nobody had been able to make out the woman who had been yelling about him the night he had last been seen and therefore finding her was extremely unlikely. Wandering Lion kept repeating that he had a bad feeling and although Croix had been attempting to keep the crew's spirits up, he shared in that belief. Something wasn't right.

----

Tyriont's head swam as he regained his senses, a burning sensation on the back of his throat. His head was pounding and he could feel a large lump on the back of his skull. As his vision slowly cleared, he took stock of his situation. Wherever he was, it was dark. He could barely make out the outline of a table off to his right, the marks of stone slabs beneath his feet. He was stripped to his waist with his arms stretched out to the sides, heavy manacles around his wrists binding him to the wall. Similar restraints around his ankles kept his feet in place. He tried to think. He remembered the docks, making his way towards the Flame...but nothing after that. He tested the chains, tugging against them but accomplished nothing other than making loud clanking noises. He ceased his efforts and peered into the darkness, hoping his vision would adjust. It didn't need to.

Small illumination was given by the candle held by the figure who had entered the room with the sound of heavy bolts sliding. It moved over to the table and set the candle atop it, revealing rows of vials, bottles and various alchemical instruments. The figure moved closer to Tyriont and pulled back the hood of the cowl it was wearing to reveal the face of a flame-haired Duskwight. Tyriont's eyes widened in recognition, his face twisting into a furious snarl as the man spoke.

"Good evening, "Captain". It has been quite some time, has it not? Four years, I believe." Tyriont growled and tried to lunge forwards at the man, his restraints keeping him from moving more than a few inches.

"Denavial! You bastard! I swear to the Navigator, if you've laid so much as a finger on my crew..." Denavial regarded Tyriont with mild amusement before letting out a dry, callous laugh.

"Dear boy, I would not dream of it. Not yet, certainly. No, my interest for now lies in you. You see, I have learned much these last years. My ability with my art has greatly increased since we last...met. I have several new concotions that require testing upon a suitable subject. No finer option came to mind than you." Tyriont stopped struggling long enough to spit at Denavial's face, missing as the man took a step backwards. "How uncouth of you. You were not always this uncultured, as I recall. Perhaps you have forgotten."

"What'd a scrag like you know about that?" Tyriont spat the words out. "I ain't ever forgotten. Not where I came from, not who I am. Not what you've done. None of it."

"So I see." Denavial smiled, moving over towards the table and picking up a small, golden knife. "One as vain as you making no effort to hide that ugly scar?" He moved back towards Tyriont, gripping his captive's head and moving his hair aside to reveal the scar running across his left cheek. "Perhaps not enough was done? I wonder what you shall come away with this time?" He ran the edge of the blade slowly along the line of the scar, opening the wound and sending blood running down Tyriont's jaw. The pirate gritted his teeth, refusing to give his captor the pleasure of seeing him wince. "Stubborn as ever, I see. No matter." Denavial moved back over to the table, picking up a vial containing a dusty white powder. He smeared some over his right index finger before returning to rub it into the wound.

Tyriont screamed in pain as the powder worked its effect, Denavial watching with a satisfied smile. "Interesting. Yes, I think our time together will prove quite educational."

Re: Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Spartle - 10-11-2010

((I hope you don't mind I made a few assumptions that the crew would be asleep or at least be off the main deck for that night. >> ))

It wasn't until a few nights after her shouting match with the hat did Oria finally show up at the ship again, clutching Tyriont's hat in her hands. Oria had no idea why she held onto the hat for as long as she did but she knew one thing -- it wasn't helping the situation. Aori had made that perfectly clear when she kicked the brooding girl out of their apartment, growling that she wasn't to return until she got over what ever was ruining their respective sleep.

Oria took a deep breath before pulling the half-mask over her eyes. This wasn't the first time she'd snuck onto a ship and it wouldn't be the last. She hoped. The moment her feet made contact with the rope that tied the ship to the pier Oria knew there was no turning back and she was gone. Quickly and quietly she climbed the rope and lifted herself up and over the side, pressed herself into the shadows and made her way into the crew's quarters.

The sneak paused for a brief moment to admire the way a lantern casted her shadow on the walls. Oria waved her hand and cracked a smile as she watched the shadows play out. Sneaking. Right. She shook her head and pressed her lips together. Something in the back of her mind told her sneaking onto a pirate ship wasn't such a great idea, perhaps showing up during the day and saying hello would've been less life threatening.. but where was the fun in that. Oria was over-confident in her abilities and was sure she could talk her way out of a situation. It was Tyriont's crew, she reassured herself, they're probably too drunk to aim.

"Now.." Oria peered at the doors to the crew's room and muttered to herself, "Where's this drunk lion fella.."

Re: Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Tyriont - 10-18-2010

Wandering Lion shifted as he felt a strange gaze fall upon him in his sleep, but simply rolled over and continued to snore loudly. None of the other men of the Phoenix Claws stirred as the strange woman stepped into their quarters, instead continuing to doze quietly. The distinctice snap of a gun's hammer being set was heard from behind in the doorway, before being followed by the soft voice of Kira.

"You'd better have a damn good reason why you're sneaking in here with my Captain's hat."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyriont was too tired even to scream any longer. His body ached, covered with small cuts. Painful, but all except the one on his face cut lightly enough so as not to scar permanently. He was covered in bruises, his right eye puffed up to the point where he could no longer open it. He barely lifted his head as the door opened to admit a large, cloaked figure. He was too weak to even thing of resisting as the man raised a billy-club and struck the back of Tyriont's head, sending him into darkness.

Re: Reason to quit drinking #43 (Open) - Spartle - 10-18-2010

At the sound of a gun being prepared to fire Oria froze in place, slowly turning her head about to glance back at Kira. “Don’t be worryin’ about that,” She bobbed her head from side to side as if contemplating some outcomes in her head and shrugged her shoulders, “Though it’s kind of important so put the gun down and we can talk about this all civilized and such.”

Oria sniffed as she paused for a moment before quickly adding with a wave of Tyriont’s hat, “Please. He's in a bit of trouble.”

Kira surveyed the woman for a moment. If she'd been here to do harm, it's more likely that she would have done something before she'd been discovered...and this was the first lead that any of the crew had been able to turn up. She slowly lowered the gun, although keeping it in her hands. Most of the rest of the room's occupants had begun to stir, blinking sleep away as they tried to take stock of what was happening. The sole exception was Wandering Lion, who still snored away at the far end of the room.
"We figured that much. Who are you and what do you know?"

A small, crooked grin worked its way onto Oria’s lips as Kira lowered her weapon. “Wonderful,” She murmured as the sounds of the crew starting to wake up reached her ears, “You’ll have to excuse me if I cannot disclose who I am to you.”

She began to shuffle a bit as if she were to begin pacing, instead casually and attempting to discreetly make her way around Kira in hopes of putting herself closer to the steps to the upper deck. Being in the center of a grouchy, sleepy crew with a woman holding a gun blocking her escape route did not sit well with Oria.

“I am a friend, however.” Oria offered the hat out to Kira as she circled around slowly, “I was with him when he disappeared..” She frowned, “Not with him like that, just in the general vicinity of him with a few others. He left and I went looking for him. Along my way I found his hat and some blood.”

She pointed at the band where the note was stuffed in the hat, “There’s a note as well.”

"I wasn't going to accuse you of being with him like that" Kira answered, cocking an eyebrow. "I think you protest too much. I don't care for people who sneak onto our ship in the middle of the night and refuse to give their name."

"She's telling the truth, Kira" came a voice from off to the side as Felix sat up in his hammock, rubbing his eyes sleepily. "I've seen the Captain talking to her from time to time. Always seemed pretty friendly." Kira nodded to the youth and set down the gun, taking the hat from Oria and turning it over in her hands. She stopped as she reached the card tucked into the band and her eyes widened.

"This is the card the Captain got from Galwind. He carried this with him...placed like that, it's a message. Whoever attacked him knew exactly who he was. Knows Galwind too, or at least his 'organization'. They most likely took him for a reason and they want us to know it." She looked around the room, completely silent except for the sound of the waves against the hull. Her gaze returned to Oria. "The question is, who?"

Oria let out a sharp huff, “Just clarifying. People make assumptions, get ideas and your captain has a reputation for showing up in strange places without his pants.” The young lady folded her arms over her chest and wrinkled her nose in displeasure. There was some awful odor floating around in the crew’s quarters.

She sniffed again. It was probably coming from Wandering Lion whatever it was. The sound of another’s voice brought Oria’s attention back out of her thoughts, glancing in the direction it came from then back at Kira.

“I hope you aren’t implying I had anything to do with this,” Oria held her hands up defensively, starting to move back to the steps, “I don’t know anything else, who, what, why... but your captain has been good to me. I wouldn’t hurt a hair on his head,” Another step back, “If I did, it’d be to his face.”

"So, you don't know anything. You don't know where he is, who took him or why they did...so why are you here?" Kira glared at Oria, tensing as she saw the woman moving towards the stairs so that she could tackle her if she made a break for it. Tension filled the room, the silence almost deafening...and almost simultaneously, a look of realization dawned on the faces of the present crew members. It had gone quiet.

Completely silent.

Nobody was snoring.

Wandering Lion advanced from the massive hammock at the back of the crew quarters. The hulking Roegadyn had to duck slightly to avoid hitting his head on some of the crossbeams as he moved towards Kira and Oria, shifting his head sharply from side to side with a series of cracks. Bleary-eyed, understanding flashed across his face as he surveyed the two.

"ere, you mus' be Oria! Ty told me 'bout you. Pretty lil' Hyur girl, smarter'n braver'n what's good for you. Reckon 'e was right', sneakin' in 'ere like this. Been lis'nin'...an' I reckon I know wha's goin' on. I know who took 'im..." his face darkened. "An' I know why. It's 'is style, leavin' lil' messages like tha' fer us. Tryin' t'taunt us, sayin' 'e's smarter'n us." He rubbed the top of his bald head, obviously frustrated and with a growing sense of anger. "Felix, run an' find Croix. Kira, go wake the lasses. We got work t'do." Kira looked from Wandering Lion to Oria before reluctantly turning and making her way up the stairs. Felix staggered out of his hammock, almost falling to the floor as he did so before straightening and scampering up the stairs himself. As they left to follow Wandering Lion's orders and the remaining men of the crew readied themselves, he clapped a giant hand on Oria's shoulder and attempted a comforting grin. "Thanks fer bringin' this t'us, lass. It ain't good news...but we know now. Ty's right...yer one o' the good 'uns. But the rest o' this ain't gonna be no place f'yer. Be real dang'rous an' I know it's break Ty's 'eart if you got involved. Gonna bring 'im back though. I promise y'that."

Lion’s voice startled Oria and if she could she would have jumped ten feet straight up in the air, instead she felt her heart stop for a few beats. She flattened her hand over her chest, patting a few times as if that would get her heart beating again, “Oh, did he now? Said all that about me? I owe him a drink or two then.”

She moved out of the way of the stairs as Felix and Kira made their way past her, once they had passed she turned back to the giant closing in on her. Oria caught most of what he was saying but the smell was overpowering her nose. She reached up to brush her nose and made a little face.

Then it happened.

The one thing she had hoped to avoid. The entire reason she was sneaking around in the first place. If it had gone right she’d have been in and out and gone with no fuss but as soon as Wandering Lion’s hand made contact with her shoulder she lost control.

Oria’s eyes widened and she dropped to her rear and scampered back, screaming and clutching her shoulder as if somehow she had broken it. Her heart raced a mile a minute and her vision blurred, surely her shoulder was on fire. Carefully, Oria removed her hand from her shoulder expecting to see blood and skin come away but instead she only found her arm and it was perfectly fine.

Wandering Lion stared at the cowering girl on the floor, his gaze passing from her to his hand and back again. He rubbed the top of his head and looked apologetic.

"Sorry, lass...don' know me own strength sometimes, I reckon. 'ope y'ain't 'urt too bad...we c'n 'ave 'ana look at it f'r you if it needs." He stepped forwards over Oria's prone form and offered her a giant hand to help her up.

Oria stared at the offered hand as she scooted back on her rear and further away from Wandering Lion. She had the terrified look in her eyes of someone who had been broken before, that it wasn't something he did. “D-don’t touch me..” It was barely a whisper as her voice trembled and she curled in on herself, arms folded protectively over her head,

“J-Just.. give me some time and..” Oria wheezed and huddled against the wall, “I’ll get off the ship.”

Shaking, she gave him a 'thumbs up'.

Wandering Lion continued to look embarrassed, glancing around at the gazes of Ro'an and Chichiri who were watching the spectacle from their resting places as they readied themselves. He rubbed his head yet again, backing away from the terrified-looking girl.

"Alrigh', lass...'m sorry. 'e ne'r mention'd anythin' like this. Ye jus'...take yer time an' leave when yer ready. Don' worry none...any friend o' Ty's is welcome 'ere." He hurried up the stairs himself still looking embarrassed, with the rest of the crew following shortly behind leaving Oria alone.