Hydaelyn Role-Players
What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? (/showthread.php?tid=8073)

Pages: 1 2 3

What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - WanderingWordsmith - 08-25-2014

This is based incredibly loosely on White Wolf's New World of Darkness system. NWoD has characters select one Virtue and one Vice that roughly defines that character, and rewards them for fulfilling either of them. Let's bring this to your character. Pick one Virtue and one Vice, and explain why both is an intrinsic part of your character's personality. Note that despite their names, these traits are not necessarily good or bad things; a Virtue could just as easily manifest as a fatal flaw, and a Vice may end up as a redeeming trait. It's all about context.

The Virtues and Vices listed in the core rulebook are:

Virtues:
Charity - Your character has an innate desire to help others, even at risk of loss or harm to themselves.
Faith - Your character is able to forge meaning and resolve from chaos and tragedy.
Fortitude - Your character will withstand overwhelming temptation or pressure to alter their goals, even at great personal cost.
Hope - Your character refuses to let others give into despair, even though doing so might risk their own goals or well-being.
Justice - Your character will do the right thing - to the letters of a code of conduct, from the law to religious commandments - even at the risk of personal jeopardy.
Prudence - Your character will resist a greatly beneficial opportunity to further his goals, even if refusal will cost them later on.
Temperance - Your character believes in moderation in all things, and will resist any excessive indulgences despite any obvious rewards it might offer.

Vices:
Envy - Your character is never satisfied with what they have. There is always someone else who has more, and your character has no qualms with taking it.
Gluttony - Your character makes any sacrifice to feed his insatiable appetite for the next pleasurable high.
Greed - Your character believes there is no such thing as having too much. If that means snatching someone else's hard-earned reward just to feather one's next, that's the way it goes.
Lust - Your character is consumed by a passion for something, and uses any means at their disposal to satisfy that lust.
Pride - Your character believes unswervingly in their own ability, and will take any opportunity to exert their wants (not needs) over others at some risk to themselves.
Sloth - Your character avoids hard work at every opportunity, even if it risks jeopardy to themselves or others.
Wrath - Your character is easily consumed by anger, and will lash out even when doing so is potentially dangerous, inappropriate, or entirely unwarranted.

I'll post mine in a little while. Have fun! Big Grin

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Warren Castille - 08-25-2014

Posting here before every Highlander I know uses Justice/Wrath.

It's a good combo, and a lot of fierce fighters will use it to justify both going above and beyond and then further across a line.

I'd probably consider Warren Faith/Pride. They sort of lend to one another as well, but I like the play between them.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - C'kayah Polaali - 08-25-2014

According to that virtue list, C'kayah has none of them.

Therefore I'd like to trade in my unused virtue slot for 2 additional vices, which should just about cover it: Greed, lust and pride.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Knight Kat - 08-25-2014

I think that there are more virtues and vices that exist other than the ones listed, but if I had to choose from that list; Kiht Jakkya would have Faith as a virtue, and Pride as a vice.

She has been through a lot of hardship, but never looses her faith in the Twelve, or faith in her traditions. She sticks to a code of honor that she has almost absolute faith in. This has even caused problems for her; including, her greatest regret. And yet, she still has faith.

As she has observed the world around her, she often feels that many others are more problematic or dysfunctional than she is. She takes pride in her judgement and perceptions to a high degree. She often lectures other people, but does not easily take being lectured -by- other people well. Her pride is not as bad as some other characters she has met, and she can also be very humble. However, the pride is there, and it is strong.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - McBeefâ„¢ - 08-25-2014

I will pick Charity and Pride.

Nat really does care about people, and do her best to help them. She is even help to lend a hand to strangers or others in need.

However, sadly for those Nat helps, her Pride tends to make her think she knows best how to help them... which can cause problems.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - DreamedReality - 08-25-2014

Hm... As an avid player of both new and old WoD... I tend to create characters based loosely off how I make them for WoD. So I had picked Fortitude/Gluttony for Jaques. A stuck-in-his-ways drunkard. But after getting to know the character better and the character changing over time... I'd say he's more along the lines of Charity/Gluttony. Jaques is turning out to be a bit of a bleeding heart. And as for the vice. The lure to just say 'Fuck it' and drink himself into a coma when life tosses him curve balls is very much still him. Kinda bad when he had nothing else left to loose. Worse now that he's found things to loose again.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Jaliqai - 08-25-2014

Oooh. This one actually made me have to think quite a bit and get a little creative in terms of interpretation. But for Xheja..

VIRTUE:  Fortitude
When it comes to learning about the aether and - by extension - her own current condition, there is very, very little that would actually stop Xheja from her goal of knowledge and answers. However, this is not necessarily always a 'good' thing. While she does make an effort to be discrete and considerate, things like social stigmas about her research and methods would not truly stop her from pursuing them if left no other choice.

It is also entirely possible that she would turn on an ally or go against their wishes in the right situation if there was some kind of promising glimmer of knowledge to be had from it - though this isn't entirely part of her innate personality, and more of a side effect of the changes she's undergone since the Calamity.

VICE:  Greed
This is another trait that manifested itself in Xheja only in recent years, specifically since she began her own business. She's come to adapt to Ul'dahn culture over the years and, with it, has gained a considerable appetite for coin. Though really it isn't the coin and riches themselves that appeal to her. More like it's the power, status, and freedom that comes with having an abundance of it.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - FreelanceWizard - 08-25-2014

Ah, the nWoD Virtue/Vice system. Always a fun one. Smile

L'yhta's virtue is Hope. She honestly believes that the world is on a constant path to being a better place, despite the occasional Umbral Erasmissteps and that everyone wants to do the right thing, even if they sometimes make the wrong choices and need to receive the ultimate sanction for doing so. She's always trying to get people to look at the bright side of things and tries, albeit sometimes clumsily, to make them feel better and to rouse their spirits.

As anyone who's heard her introduce herself knows, her vice is most definitely Pride. She is, in her own mind at least, "Limsa Lominsa's most splendiferous sorcerer," charged with a Great Destiny and wielding power that, naturally, only she knows how to use judiciously. While her pride sometimes lets her accomplish amazing feats (as she's quite stubborn about Being the Best There Is At What She Does), it more often causes her to do stupid things and take wildly unnecessary risks.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Chika Ito - 08-25-2014

For Chika Ito;

Virtue; Her virtue would most certainly be Charity. She is the mother of five children, so the motherly instincts in her are incredibly strong. Seeing others suffering, or in need of something, strikes a cord inside of her heart. So sometimes, without even having to think, she'll give something of hers up. If she sees a homeless person in Ul'dah she will donate some clothes from her business to them, along with a blanket and pillow, and give them some gil to get food for a week or to use it on an inn room. Chika knows she can make her money back easily with her business. So it has little value to her. Why stuff her face, and line her pockets, and not care about others who are less fortunate? 

Vice; Now we are at the interesting flaw in her personality. Her vice is very much Lust. Specifically sex. When she was seventeen she was forced to work in a brothel by her own mother's hand. While she hated having male clients she adored the women, and sort of became hooked on intimacy. This has lead to some pretty low lows in her life, but this is also how she came about finding someone whom she gave reason to to leave the prostitute business. In the end it was ultimately her vice that actually helped her straighten herself out, and find some happiness in this life.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Crisiet - 08-25-2014

Crisiet... Hmmn.

Charity and wrath. *nods*

Charity: Though he seems to dislike people, those he does like (or at least identifies as an ally) he remains incredibly loyal to. He will go to great lengths to help them, even if that comes at a risk to his own life.

Wrath: Crisiet is often argumentative and sometimes downright rude. His personality tends to clash with others and he does not hesitate to express his dislike. He also tends to hold grudges.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - W'seckhi Asah - 08-25-2014

Virtue: Fortitude
For Fio, he'll stop at nothing to see his ideal Eorzea come to bear. Even with the defeat of the XIV Legion, he still diligently holds his post for what he views as the inevitable return and triumph of the Garlean Empire.

Vice: Pride/Lust

Here, I couldn't decide which to go with. Fio is a relentless flirt in pursuit of sex, but at the same time, he's wont to show off his abilities. When it comes down to a real fight, he doesn't hold back and even views himself as an unstoppable force on the battlefield. In his mind, he's invincible. That if a whole army came at him, he'd be the one getting out unscathed. He's wrong, of course.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Antain - 08-25-2014

This is a very interesting way to look at things. While Vaughn doesn't quite fit into any of these, the ones I chose seem to work the best to describe him.

Virtue: Charity
As a companion, he was expected to give whatever his client asked of him without question. This has led to him not caring much for his own needs in favor for everyone else's.

Vice: Gluttony
I bet you're surprised it's not lust! But Vaughn can never have quite enough of what he enjoys. He shows great restraint though, and often tries to help others who have a difficult time with their vices. Still, when he loves, he loves with everything he is, giving his partner (and those he calls friend) anything they ask for when they ask for it. He can't get enough of the pleasure he receives from helping others, from spending intimate time with his fiance, and until recently he couldn't get enough of the sedatives he took on a regular basis to calm his nerves.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Sounsyy - 08-25-2014

Sounsyy is without question Fortitude / Envy.

Fortitude: For twenty years now Sounsyy has been unwavering in her struggle to liberate Ala Mhigo and see her people return to glory. Though her settings, circumstances, and allies have changed many times over the years, everything she has done has (in her mind) been for the sole purpose of letting her little sister see Ala Mhigo in all of its splendor.

Envy: Because of this single-minded devotion, those who have done little to achieve their wants bring about her ire. She loathes and pities those Ala Mhigans content to rot in Ul'dah, but yet she also envies them, that they can give up and die so easily.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Yssen - 08-25-2014

Heh. I actually use this for a thing running around in the game right now. It would be silly if I did not bite. So, here goes.

Yssen's virtue is Justice. He believes that society and law have very little to do with this concept, however. In point of fact he believe the world is a convoluted mess with very little justice in it at all. Mind you, he is not judgemental, just justice minded. Yssen has his own sense of what is right and wrong, as well as his own sense of when and what to do to balance the scales.

Yssen's vice is Wrath. Despite his outwardly calm nature, Yssen can get angry very easily. He is also quite vengeful when all the right buttons are pressed, and has been known to act completely out of anger. Once he has truly been set off, he tends to be very focused and a little bit terrifying. Very few things/people can get him out of his wrathful state, once it has been triggered.

RE: What is your character's Virtue/Vice? - Val - 08-26-2014

I would have to say that Val's virtue is Fortitude. He's generally pretty headstrong and if he wants something enough, someone will be very hard-pressed to convince him otherwise. While he does generally tend to just look out for himself, there have been times when he had a goal to ensure another's well-being and wouldn't let anything stop him, especially where a loved one is concerned.

Val's vice, of no surprise to anyone, is Lust. He loves pleasure. He loves things that make him feel good. He loves things that help him forget about his troubles. This of course includes wine and, until he met his significant other, intimate relations with just about any female that was willing to. Even fighting to him can be seen as a source of pleasure as it takes his mind off of everything going on around him. Now that he has his lady, however, he just focuses on keeping her happy instead and enjoys the fruition of his efforts.