Hydaelyn Role-Players
I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory (/showthread.php?tid=8251)

Pages: 1 2

I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - OttoVann - 09-11-2014

So its not much of a secret that I'm still relatively new to Balmung, and have only been here since June, and didn't start roleplaying until Late June / early July. I don't know a lot about lore at all admittedly and Im still quite poor at RP (another thread for another day).

BUT, I do have a question in regards to a bit of my backstory since it comes up enough now where I want to make sure I'm 'doing it right'. I've always said at least until this point, that I am not from Eorzea, and am from a different land far out West, in a tiny shit-hole of an existence called Malboro (My old west-coast server, which was a miserable existence). I always personally thought it was neat involving my server x-fer in that bit of origin story for me, but I am wondering if I am just going about it totally wrong, or if there is a better way to go about it.

Like are there delicious highlanders like myself not from...wherever Highlanders normally come from? I wouldn't know.

Thanks for any help rendered.

v/r

-Otto

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Berrod Armstrong - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 12:35 PM)OttoVann Wrote: So its not much of a secret that I'm still relatively new to Balmung, and have only been here since June, and didn't start roleplaying until Late June / early July.  I don't know a lot about lore at all admittedly and Im still quite poor at RP (another thread for another day).

BUT, I do have a question in regards to a bit of my backstory since it comes up enough now where I want to make sure I'm 'doing it right'.  I've always said at least until this point, that I am not from Eorzea, and am from a different land far out West, in a tiny shit-hole of an existence called Malboro (My old west-coast server, which was a miserable existence).  I always personally thought it was neat involving my server x-fer in that bit of origin story for me, but I am wondering if I am just going about it totally wrong, or if there is a better way to go about it.

Like are there delicious highlanders like myself not from...wherever Highlanders normally come from?  I wouldn't know.  

v/r

-Otto
I don't think anything is really wrong with making up an obscure, far away place from where your character hails -- but there's always the risk of new lore/map reveals derailing it all. Nevertheless, that's always a risk when playing within someone else's ever-evolving universe. 

If you're looking for alternative means or a place within Eorzea itself, you can claim your Highlander is from anywhere, really! The Shroud and Coerthas are a bit iffy, but there are things that can be done to fix that. 

Highlanders are normally said to have hailed from the mountainous region of Gyr Abania, where the city-state of Ala Mhigo is located. Many of them sought refuge westward when the Garlean Empire took over ~20ish years ago. 

Buuut, do whatever feels fun to you! If Otto came from a little island in the Rhotano that only produced excellently bred Highlander goodness, that's fine! If he's from a shithole village named Marlboro  in some obscure westerly direction, that's also fine! If you want to make him someone from Gyr Abania, that's great as well. The world is your oyster! Pick a place, then build something feasible around it.

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Warren Castille - 09-11-2014

Berrod's got the right of it. Not all Highlanders are from Ala Mhigo, and nowhere does it state that we've all got to come from that lineage. Run wild with your bad self, Otto.

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Melkire - 09-11-2014

For your convenience, the continent of Eorzea. This has some serious misspellings, but it's handy if you're not used to reading the stylized text that XIV uses for its alphabet and still want to get a feel for what's where. Click to enlarge:

[Image: 20130312025036!Eorzea.jpg]

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Pumpkinweed - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 12:35 PM)OttoVann Wrote: So its not much of a secret that I'm still relatively new to Balmung, and have only been here since June, and didn't start roleplaying until Late June / early July.  I don't know a lot about lore at all admittedly and Im still quite poor at RP (another thread for another day).

BUT, I do have a question in regards to a bit of my backstory since it comes up enough now where I want to make sure I'm 'doing it right'.  I've always said at least until this point, that I am not from Eorzea, and am from a different land far out West, in a tiny shit-hole of an existence called Malboro (My old west-coast server, which was a miserable existence).  I always personally thought it was neat involving my server x-fer in that bit of origin story for me, but I am wondering if I am just going about it totally wrong, or if there is a better way to go about it.

Like are there delicious highlanders like myself not from...wherever Highlanders normally come from?  I wouldn't know.  

v/r

-Otto

The way I've always seen Otto is a man's man. 

Perhaps he comes from the parents of some Highlanders who were caravan traders; Otto's mother conceived her child on the road.

With such a vibrant lifestyle of going from port to port and traveling on the road, he learned about trade, weaponry and of course, women! Now he wanders abroad, seeking some form of solace in his life because women, fighting and business don't cut it for him!

It's the mystery of Otto!

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - OttoVann - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 01:17 PM)Pumpkinweed Wrote:

v/r

-Otto

Perhaps he comes from the parents of some Highlanders who were caravan traders; Otto's mother conceived her child on the road.

With such a vibrant lifestyle of going from port to port and traveling on the road, he learned about trade, weaponry and of course, women! Now he wanders abroad, seeking some form of solace in his life because women, fighting and business don't cut it for him!

That sounds appealing...minus the combat part. Otto never was or has been a fighter. Im ripped to shreds due to the heritage mostly, and the working out. My knowledge of the Lance is Academic, and not at all learned through experience.

But that sounds neat.

As an aside I always wonder how people look at me or my character due to the...non-stop womanizing and being so blase' about it. Ultimately I wonder if its ahhh inappropriate or makes people uncomfortable or something. I should make a thread for this maybe and ask I'm not sure.

(09-11-2014, 01:34 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(09-11-2014, 01:17 PM)Pumpkinweed Wrote:

v/r

-Otto

That sounds appealing...minus the combat part.  Otto never was or has been a fighter.  Im ripped to shreds due to the heritage mostly, and the working out.  My knowledge of the Lance is Academic, and not at all learned through experience.

But that sounds neat.

As an aside I always wonder how people look at me or my character due to the...non-stop womanizing and being so blase' about it.  Ultimately I wonder if its ahhh inappropriate or makes people uncomfortable or something.  I should make a thread for this maybe and ask I'm not sure.
It's who the character is, and it's amusing! There's a humorous spin on it as well, so it never really comes off as inappropriate (I've roleplayed some far more seemingly inappropriate themes, even in the open...). So don't worry about it. If your character is a womanizer, he's a womanizer. If Square lets itself get away with Thancred...

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Pumpkinweed - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 01:43 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: It's who the character is, and it's amusing! There's a humorous spin on it as well, so it never really comes off as inappropriate (I've roleplayed some far more seemingly inappropriate themes, even in the open...). So don't worry about it. If your character is a womanizer, he's a womanizer. If Square lets itself get away with Thancred...

I agree with Berrod! There is nothing wrong with playing a character as they are intended to be be. I have the same issues at times with Gus being so abrasive and demanding in the name of delicious sweets and pumpkins.

Some will love it, some will hate it. You can't pander to both sides because in the end someone will have a problem with it.

Also, Otto:

I know that your character was described by you (in an earlier post) as someone that CAN use a lance but does not. That was what I meant in terms of knowing weaponry- in routines and exercises, not actual combat experience.

It still fits in, but the beauty of a character that is your own is that it is YOURS to do with as you please! Have fun!

(09-11-2014, 01:43 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: It's who the character is, and it's amusing! There's a humorous spin on it as well, so it never really comes off as inappropriate (I've roleplayed some far more seemingly inappropriate themes, even in the open...). So don't worry about it. If your character is a womanizer, he's a womanizer. If Square lets itself get away with Thancred...

Ok so now that I have you and others here, let me give a more specific example of something I've mulled over a bit in regards to...too far, too R rated etc.

I was at the HoD event last week, I usually try to attend their Thursday open bar. Anyways one of (and I hate saying it like this is almost makes me sound like a slaver) my girls, Keru, decided to show up, along with other guests I invited. As usual once the HoD house fills up and it gets too spammy we're outside at the beach chatting in a circle, and I don't /really/ know why this was brought up, but my secretary Ridley cleans my room after long nights of partying and debauch,comes in the next day to remove the 'wilted flowers' and get new ones etc. So someone said "I bet you pick rubbers up off the floor all the time" to Ridley (which surprised me who knew birth control was in the game) and Keru immediately replied on her own "no we don't use those" and I was just....hm that might go too far for RP. It almost felt like all of the RP around us just sort of stopped for a moment to digest that brazen statement. Is it too far? Beats me. Guide me senpais.

If Jancis or Crofte happen to lurk this thread, hopefully they can tell me how they felt when she (Keru) showed up to sit in my lap and generally be there to be looked at as we we're all doing that luncheon RP at Limsa a few days ago. Again, I just wonder if its all kosher.

(09-11-2014, 01:56 PM)OttoVann Wrote:

Ok so now that I have you and others here, let me give a more specific example of something I've mulled over a bit in regards to...too far, too R rated etc.

I was at the HoD event last week, I usually try to attend their Thursday open bar.  Anyways one of (and I hate saying it like this is almost makes me sound like a slaver) my girls decided to show up, along with other guests I invited.  Anyways we're outside at the beach chatting in a circle, and I don't /really/ know why this was brought up, but my secretary Ridley cleans my room after long nights of partying and debauch,comes in the next day to remove the 'wilted flowers' and get new ones etc.  Anyways someone said "I bet you pick rubbers up off the floor all the time" (which surprised me who know birth control was in the game) and the girl I mentioned that showed up said "no we don't use those" and I was just....hm that might go too far for RP.  Is it?  Beats me.  Guide me senpais.
That may have been a flub on the 'someone' character's part, because I doubt very much 'rubbers' are a thing in Eorzea (*Side-eyes Garlemald*). 

On the other hand, if you think something is going to far, or that it doesn't fit into your character or what he does, make a quick OOC mention of it. Communication is important. If everyone was fine with the mention of bedroom details in that little circle (and within range), fine, okay. But if not? Best move the topic onto something else.

With respect to that last part, if it's legitimately a part of your character, go brave! Of course, it may get some odd in-character reactions, but that's half the fun right there.

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Coatleque - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 01:56 PM)OttoVann Wrote: If Jancis or Crofte happen to lurk this thread, hopefully they can tell me how they felt...

Personally I find Otto's character to be refreshing in his own sort of way. He has been built up as a very wealthy man in Ul'dah with ties to the Syndicate. Not only in character, but OOC he has the gil to back that story up as well. I could see him eventually replacing of them (the Syndicate) if that were even possible.

I had no problem with the girl showing up. I'm so used to seeing Otto surrounded by his lovely assistants and employees that it just seemed business as usual. Just so long as they remember to act professionally when he is conducting business. The respect they show him just adds to his overall character and believability.

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Jancis - 09-11-2014

(09-11-2014, 01:56 PM)OttoVann Wrote: If Jancis or Crofte happen to lurk this thread, hopefully they can tell me how they felt when she (Keru) showed up to sit in my lap and generally be there to be looked at as we we're all doing that luncheon RP at Limsa a few days ago.  Again, I just wonder if its all kosher.

I agree with CC's sentiment about it. Having Keru show up really backs up Otto's whole persona. I think one of the more exciting things about him is people are building their characters' personas around. He's a building block for this excess lifestyle. It was also amusing that he had a personal server there, Tsubasa, and then at one point Keru was bored and envious of 'not getting attention' from Otto.

I think the big thing there is it wasn't overwhelming even though a lot of things were happening at the lunch: Otto originally wanted to entertain Crofte, Jancis arrived to finish up a favor to the artist, then Keru shows up. Role play thrives on conflict, even if its minor views or outright combat and it made for a fun time having to deal with the promiscuous lifestyle. I wouldn't worry about being kosher.

~~~
For the whole bedroom thing, some details like birth-control I honestly find more annoying than adding to immersion. It's a pointless hindrance on the whole, but if people enjoy that and it adds to the humor of the situation, go for it. Otherwise skim over the details, as it were. Imagination!

~~~
From what little I know of the whole continent, Eorzea is suppose to be the Far West? That's the impression I got from the Doman addition, but the good thing is there can be countless islands out in the sea to the west. Also, Otto could always have a mysterious background. He could tell the truth or not? The story could change off and on? Who would honestly have the gall to question him? Or would he even care. That's always another good option to go for. He could have been a streetrat from Ul'dah this entire time and no one would be the wiser.

Now I have a picture of a cigarette-pack-shaped island out in the ocean.. Marlboro...

(09-11-2014, 02:46 PM)Coatleque Wrote:
(09-11-2014, 01:56 PM)OttoVann Wrote: If Jancis or Crofte happen to lurk this thread, hopefully they can tell me how they felt...

Personally I find Otto's character to be refreshing in his own sort of way. He has been built up as a very wealthy man in Ul'dah with ties to the Syndicate. Not only in character, but OOC he has the gil to back that story up as well. I could see him eventually replacing of them (the Syndicate) if that were even possible.

I had no problem with the girl showing up. I'm so used to seeing Otto surrounded by his lovely assistants and employees that it just seemed business as usual. Just so long as they remember to act professionally when he is conducting business. The respect they show him just adds to his overall character and believability.

These words are too kind for me. Thank you, I'll also keep in mind the professionalism thing if any girls show up to hang around, like Keru did.

As far as replacing The Syndicate, that sounds maybe too ambitious for me. Ive got an event planned for another, and my newest girl that works for me just wrapped me up in a plot she put together so it sounds nice but I just might not be good enough to do something so big.

RE: I need help fleshing out a bit of backstory - Warren Castille - 09-11-2014

He clearly killed the real Otto Vann and has been masquerading as him for years, selling his designs and living the life he was denied.

(09-11-2014, 02:59 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(09-11-2014, 02:46 PM)Coatleque Wrote:

Personally I find Otto's character to be refreshing in his own sort of way.  He has been built up as a very wealthy man in Ul'dah with ties to the Syndicate.  Not only in character, but OOC he has the gil to back that story up as well.  I could see him eventually replacing of them (the Syndicate) if that were even possible.

I had no problem with the girl showing up.  I'm so used to seeing Otto surrounded by his lovely assistants and employees that it just seemed business as usual.  Just so long as they remember to act professionally when he is conducting business.  The respect they show him just adds to his overall character and believability.

These words are too kind for me.  Thank you, I'll also keep in mind the professionalism thing if any girls show up to hang around, like Keru did.

As far as replacing The Syndicate, that sounds maybe too ambitious for me.  Ive got events planned for others, and my newest girl that works for me just wrapped me up in a plot she put together so it sounds nice but I just might not be good enough to do something so big.
Whether you realize it or not, you've grown as a roleplayer, and you have people willing to help you out with whatever you may need. It's refreshing to see someone take a stab at it, love it, and do their best, even if they think they may not be good enough. 

Try it, learn from it, then do it again, and again, and again. That's how you grow! Everyone has to start somewhere. If you wanna  do an event or run a plot, go for it!