Hydaelyn Role-Players
About them Padjali... - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: About them Padjali... (/showthread.php?tid=8252)

Pages: 1 2

RE: About them Padjali... - Sounsyy - 09-14-2014

(09-14-2014, 04:41 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: ...also, one day I'ma find Sounsyy in the game so I can ask her allllllllllllllll of my maaaaaaaany lore questions. Bouncy

;P One of these days I'll be more public and not so much of an enigma.
(as for lore, I mayyyyyyyyybe working on a rather large project that mayyyyyyyyyy have something to do with lore.)

RE: About them Padjali... - LiadansWhisper - 09-14-2014

(09-14-2014, 09:27 PM)Sounsyy Wrote:
(09-14-2014, 04:41 AM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: ...also, one day I'ma find Sounsyy in the game so I can ask her allllllllllllllll of my maaaaaaaany lore questions. Bouncy

;P One of these days I'll be more public and not so much of an enigma.
(as for lore, I mayyyyyyyyybe working on a rather large project that mayyyyyyyyyy have something to do with lore.)

SurpriseSurpriseSurprise

BouncyBouncyBouncy

RE: About them Padjali... - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-15-2014

(09-14-2014, 10:07 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote: SurpriseSurpriseSurprise

BouncyBouncyBouncy

^My reaction too.

But on-topic, any other Padjal-related questions we can search for lore on?

RE: About them Padjali... - SayonaraRevival - 09-18-2014

(09-15-2014, 01:18 AM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote: But on-topic, any other Padjal-related questions we can search for lore on?

hmm yes I usually can come up with more of these! (better late than never, right?)

(also I may or may not be trying to do a stupid writing project these answers are very useful for.)

1) let's say a child has just been discovered to be Padjal. how much do we know about what happens when they are taken to Stillglade Fane?

2) what kinds of societal pressures do they presumably face just by being Padjal?

3) do we know anything about their life expectancy (whether in numbers or in comparisons?)

4) how does their whole 'learning white magic' process go? conjury first, white magic later, or... ? a lot of studying and practicing, or... ?

RE: About them Padjali... - Sounsyy - 09-18-2014

To my knowledge we don't actually have any legitimate lore to answer any of those questions. But I can give it my best theories?

1. We can assume they are indoctrinated into Stillglade Fane like any other Hearer. They hear the voices of the Wood, but now I imagine they must learn to discern them. We're told Hearers and Padjal have a natural gift with Conjury, but even those with the gift have to perfect it. See Sylphie in the CNJ quests.

2. Well, like Liadan and I were discussing, there's a certain "higher" social status or level of respect afforded Padjal among the majority of Gridania's populace. I imagine the (re)birth of a new Padjal would be a big deal in Gridania. Maybe there's a ceremony? (Hell they throw a whole block party for all Gridania to attend just when they are cleansing Woodsin. Not too far to imagine they'd have a ceremony for new Padjal?) So I guess the pressures of suddenly going from random poor hyur child to the next link to the Elementals would be a bit overwhelming at first for a 9-13 year old kid.

3. Okay, so we know a Padjal's age is measured by the length of their horns. So long horns = old Padjal. But we're never told just how old any of them are.

There was never any lore evidence found to support the claims but for a while there was great discussion as to why Kan-E-Senna appeared to be the only "adult" looking Padjal. The most prominent theory was that she was one of the first Padjal children, making her close to 500 years old. However, the theory had no grounds and is probably debunk based off of Kan-E's lodestone backstory:

"As is common amongst those born of the prestigious Senna line, Kan-E was blessed with the gift of prophecy." (Common amongst her line I take to meaning there were others with the gift of prophecy before her.) "...earning her remarkably young admission into Stillglade Fane." (Meaning Stillglade Fane was already a thing for some time. Which it wouldn't have been were she one of the first Padjal.)

4. Again, unknown. I imagine one would need to have a full grasp of Conjury long before taking on the secrets of Succor. As you would need to not only be able to hear Nature, but understand it, control it, be one with it. Which takes time and practice, even if you have a talent for it. And only another Padjal could teach the new Padjal succor. (I guess an Elemental could, technically, but it's more likely a Padjal would attempt to teach it.)

Sorry there's no real lore on this, but I hope this helps! ^^;

RE: About them Padjali... - Obisi - 09-18-2014

/deleted

RE: About them Padjali... - LiadansWhisper - 09-18-2014

(09-18-2014, 01:54 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: 4. Again, unknown. I imagine one would need to have a full grasp of Conjury long before taking on the secrets of Succor. As you would need to not only be able to hear Nature, but understand it, control it, be one with it. Which takes time and practice, even if you have a talent for it. And only another Padjal could teach the new Padjal succor. (I guess an Elemental could, technically, but it's more likely a Padjal would attempt to teach it.)

Sorry there's no real lore on this, but I hope this helps! ^^;

I completely agree with the above.  ^^  Especially when you consider that someone who is not in full control of their gifts could be incredibly dangerous.  White Magic is, after all, really destructive when misused, and even being a Hearer has a potential for danger (since you can interact with the Elementals, there's the suggestion you can also affect them - i.e. make them more agitated than they already are, or perhaps even calm them down by being calm yourself).

RE: About them Padjali... - SayonaraRevival - 09-24-2014

upon reading that thread and comments on Aldotsk's idea to make an IC White Mage w/o bending lore too far -- it's made me wonder something about our friendly Conjurer's Guildmaster.

and that is: does E-Sumi actually know practice succor?

do ALL padjals, every single one, learn and actively practice succor? that would be my guess, but... (correct me if I'm wrong or something says otherwise) I've never seen E-Sumi mention he personally practices succor. is there a different reason he doesn't think of/personally go with Raya-O and A-Ruhn to help with that Quieting or whatever it was called (the ceremony thing to calm elementals or something) or... ?

it seems like an obvious fact that he is a Conjurer at the very least but -- thus far I recall seeing no indication that he too is a proper White Mage, besides being Padjal? so I'm kind of really confused on that aspect )':

IN OTHER NEWS I hope no one particularly minds RPing with a Padjal NPC outside the game, because I have basically made 90% of a character that is one. might be desiring feedback on this in the future if there is enough interest.

RE: About them Padjali... - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 01:43 PM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: upon reading that thread and comments on Aldotsk's idea to make an IC White Mage w/o bending lore too far -- it's made me wonder something about our friendly Conjurer's Guildmaster.

do ALL padjals, every single one, learn and actively practice succor? that would be my guess, but... (correct me if I'm wrong or something says otherwise) I've never seen E-Sumi mention he personally practices succor. is there a different reason he doesn't think of/personally go with Raya-O and A-Ruhn to help with that Quieting or whatever it was called (the ceremony thing to calm elementals or something) or... ?

it seems like an obvious fact that he is a Conjurer at the very least but -- thus far I recall seeing no indication that he too is a proper White Mage, besides being Padjal? so I'm kind of really confused on that aspect )':

IN OTHER NEWS I hope no one particularly minds RPing with a Padjal NPC outside the game, because I have basically made 90% of a character that is one. might be desiring feedback on this in the future if there is enough interest.

I think all Padjal are probably capable of practising succor, even if they don't use it. THey have received the Elementals' blessings for it, at the least. ~because they're special~

Also, I would totally RP with a Padjal. As a Garlean it could be a very interesting encounter knowing how messed up Franz's aether is.

RE: About them Padjali... - LiadansWhisper - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 01:43 PM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: upon reading that thread and comments on Aldotsk's idea to make an IC White Mage w/o bending lore too far -- it's made me wonder something about our friendly Conjurer's Guildmaster.

As Franz pointed out, Padjal seem to be natural users of White Magic.  There's no reason to believe that E-Sumi is any different, although I remember the contingent that was hardcore wanting him to be a "corrupted White Mage" because...he wears black.  :-\

RE: About them Padjali... - Aldotsk - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 02:14 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:

As Franz pointed out, Padjal seem to be natural users of White Magic.  There's no reason to believe that E-Sumi is any different, although I remember the contingent that was hardcore wanting him to be a "corrupted White Mage" because...he wears black.  :-\

My friend always called E-Sumi the "devil kid" and he wanted to wait for an expansion to become a devil kid like him while he was doing CNJ quests.

RE: About them Padjali... - Sounsyy - 09-24-2014

(09-24-2014, 01:43 PM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: and that is: does E-Sumi actually know practice succor?

Here's a cutscene of E-Sumi being a badass White Mage.

Beckon of the Elementals

(Also omg I love O-App-Isenseadisturbanceintheforest-Pesi's tabard... neeeeeeeeeeeed!)

But yes, all Padjal are White Mages. That's what they were created by the Elementals to do. It's their sacred charge.

Personally, I don't trust E-Sumi. Idk what it is, but I just do not trust him! There's just something that bothers me about his character.

RE: About them Padjali... - SayonaraRevival - 09-24-2014

@LiadansWhisper... well, it's an idea for a fanfic or something, I'll give it that. :'D I'm more of the opinion that he is just hardcore protective... see: Sylphie. 

I'm actually having those usual tumblr RPer urges to rp him there, since I've always been just interested in canons/NPCs as I am with OCs/PCs/etc...
although I have no idea how many people would care / RP FFXIV there. crossovers are probably my best bet there, lol. it's just that I haven't finished the main story yet and I'm only lv 32 or 33 (it's been a few days since I've played, thanks work) so it'll be a while. )':

guess it is just a default thing, though. hmmm... how did I know just after posting something I didn't see would prove he is? these are truly the woes of a newbie.

fairly dumb question aside, I still want to know if anyone has little details about these guys... that may or may not be proven or implied by lore. I mean, you've all been very helpful (thank you!) with everything else, but does any random idea / trivia tidbit come to mind? something you think is likely / would be cool / whatever?

(09-24-2014, 02:26 PM)Aldotsk Wrote: My friend always called E-Sumi the "devil kid" and he wanted to wait for an expansion to become a devil kid like him while he was doing CNJ quests.

My friend Kondo calls all the Padjal "devil children."  He does this because he knows it drives me nuts.

(09-24-2014, 03:46 PM)SayonaraRevival Wrote: @LiadansWhisper... well, it's an idea for a fanfic or something, I'll give it that. :'D I'm more of the opinion that he is just hardcore protective... see: Sylphie. 

I'm actually having those usual tumblr RPer urges to rp him there, since I've always been just interested in canons/NPCs as I am with OCs/PCs/etc...
although I have no idea how many people would care / RP FFXIV there. crossovers are probably my best bet there, lol. it's just that I haven't finished the main story yet and I'm only lv 32 or 33 (it's been a few days since I've played, thanks work) so it'll be a while. )':

guess it is just a default thing, though. hmmm... how did I know just after posting something I didn't see would prove he is? these are truly the woes of a newbie.

fairly dumb question aside, I still want to know if anyone has little details about these guys... that may or may not be proven or implied by lore. I mean, you've all been very helpful (thank you!) with everything else, but does any random idea / trivia tidbit come to mind? something you think is likely / would be cool / whatever?

I actually think E-Sumi gets the short end of the stick as far as the Sylphie questline goes.  The writers are basically forcing him to behave in a dumb manner, and it annoys me.