Hydaelyn Role-Players
Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? (/showthread.php?tid=8447)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Lillith Cale - 09-30-2014

Hmm, I hope these count.

Lillith has a far amount of bitterness towards Elezen men. Though she was adopted and raise by Elezen parents (whom she adores) she had her heart broken by an Elezen whom was her best friend up until that point. He said he could never love her because he had a preference for Elezen women. Her bitterness hasn't been helped by the fact that most Elezen she seems to run into these day take no interest in her what so ever, even with her playful flirting.

She also has an issue with Miqo'te who are preachy about their culture. She has no interest in learning about or involving herself with the beliefs and cultures of her 'true' people. She's more than happy living her life by the Gridanian values she was raised with.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - OttoVann - 09-30-2014

Well for the longest time I would never touch a Miqo. Fem-Miqs to this day are largely generic and I rarely care for them. Lately though as my slut ways have grown Ill bring them around.

I still do think less of most Miq males too if only because for better or worse the large portion of IC interactions I have had with them were...stupid. A lot of Miq males think of themselves as anime-powered hot-shit with wolverine claws and true ultimate power that can raze a city and are more than willing to pick a fight. Maybe Im too down to earth in my roleplay but when my arms are as thick as their waists...like really dawg? Get off me catboy. Though thats not to say all Miq-Males are viewed as awful people, I just have a bias towards them from running into all the wrong ones.

Id still be gay for Shonji.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Coatleque - 09-30-2014

This is a tough one since Coatleque's position requires her to remain impartial to most everyone. I guess I could say she's learning to hate adventurers.

In her career history now she's been
- catcalled
- vomited on
- dumped wine on
- spit on
- rudely shoved out of the way
- falsely accused
- laughted at, argued with, or just plain ignored.

So yeah. Bloody adventurers. Bunch of drunken reprobates.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Mithril Specs - 09-30-2014

Badr's generally pretty good at not letting her biases show too much, but at times she can have a pretty curt attitude towards Gridanians and refuses to stay within the actual city any longer than she needs to. The origin of it all mostly boils down to her family being a small, self-sustaining group of hunters and tanners that refused to give up on their traditions - one can imagine how well that went.

Besides that, she can be outright unfair and callous towards people that she perceives to be ignorant and can have trouble accepting that not everyone has had as much access to all kinds of knowledge as she did - well and that people make honest mistakes without any malice.

As far as Logan goes, she has a hard time understanding highly pious people. As much as she dislikes the brutality her countrymen commit to spread their ideals - which, among other reasons made her desert in the end - she was still born and raised Garlean. Which makes it hard for her to trust any beastmen, even if she's aware that not all are primal-worshipping warmongers. Old habits die hard.

And anyone who dislikes garlic cannot be trusted. Naw man, that's some serious business.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Roswyn - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 01:50 PM)Coatleque Wrote: This is a tough one since Coatleque's position requires her to remain impartial to most everyone.  I guess I could say she's learning to hate adventurers.

- catcalled
- vomited on
- dumped wine on
- spit on
- falsely accused

So yeah.  Bloody adventurers.  Bunch of drunken reprobates.

Sounds like she needs a hug, holy crap. D:

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - FreelanceWizard - 09-30-2014

Oh yes. L'yhta is full of unfair biases. She thinks tribal miqo'te are either uneducated submissives, subjected to a barbaric culture, who need to be "broken free" from the "chains" of their society (if a male Keeper or female Seeker) or are abusive perpetuators of the same (if a female Keeper or male Seeker). She despises those who she feels contribute to the "sexualization of miqo'te," such as miqo'te dancers and prostitutes and those who frequent them. She also has considerable distaste for "fanatic cultists," which her mind includes Ishgardians, Garleans, and sometimes Gridanians, depending on how often they like to whip out "but it's the will of the Elementals" to justify their actions.

She's just a big ol' ball of biases, which she'll readily demonstrate when one of them is provoked. Smile

EDIT: Oh, yeah, she also strongly dislikes most beast tribes. She'll have nothing to do with the "fishbacks" and only works with the Brotherhood of Ash for mutual gain (i.e., interfering with the Amalj'aa of Southern Thanalan). Other than the sylphs and goblins (and, on some days, the kobolds), she typically views beastmen as surprisingly intelligent beasts who like to play with powers they can't possibly comprehend. She still thinks in the back of her mind and in darker moments that, maybe, just maybe, Eorzea would be better off with a few fewer beast races...

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 01:52 PM)Roswyn Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 01:50 PM)Coatleque Wrote: This is a tough one since Coatleque's position requires her to remain impartial to most everyone.  I guess I could say she's learning to hate adventurers.

- catcalled
- vomited on
- dumped wine on
- spit on
- falsely accused

Sounds like she needs a hug, holy crap. D:

+1 to giving Crofte more respect.

I think I know exactly which adventurers these are. Good thing they don't know Franz is Garlean. ...among other things.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Eva - 09-30-2014

Eva's father was quietly biased against miqo'te (albeit not openly since he was for a long time a business man).  Some of this imprinted itself onto her in a sense.  While I wouldn't call Eva racist in any capacity, she carries certain traditional values about family and a 1:1 individual heterosexual partner relationship.  While she is a generation-and-a-half removed from her original upbringing, these values are still important to her, and she has observed that the values of many miqo'te whom she has known seem to be quite different.  She is far more accepting of this than her father was, but there is a sense of wariness, and while far from a haughty character, she may sort of look down on those who are particularly promiscuous or of looser moral fiber, even if that is what is dictated by their tribal customs or such.

She is also initially wary of most new Wildwoods she meets.  This is not because she dislikes them.  Rather she grew up a Duskwight in Gridania and assumes many of them may be prejudiced against her.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - OttoVann - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 01:50 PM)Coatleque Wrote: This is a tough one since Coatleque's position requires her to remain impartial to most everyone. I guess I could say she's learning to hate adventurers.

- catcalled
- vomited on
- dumped wine on
- spit on
- falsely accused

So yeah. Bloody adventurers. Bunch of drunken reprobates.

I definitely argued with you months ago when I RP'd that fight with my buddy Cerii.

Can I take you to dinner to make up for it?

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - C'kayah Polaali - 09-30-2014

- catcalled
- vomited on
- dumped wine on
- spit on
- falsely accused

C'kayah is very fond of Coatleque. She's taken him from merely well off all the way to obscenely wealthy in one fell swoop! Angel

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - Kage - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 02:34 PM)C Wrote: C'kayah is very fond of Coatleque. She's taken him from merely well off all the way to obscenely wealthy in one fell swoop! Angel
What. What happened

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - allgivenover - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 01:44 PM)OttoVann Wrote: I still do think less of most Miq males too if only because for better or worse the large portion of IC interactions I have had with them were...stupid.  A lot of Miq males think of themselves as anime-powered hot-shit with wolverine claws and true ultimate power that can raze a city and are more than willing to pick a fight.  Maybe Im too down to earth in my roleplay

It's hilarious that you consider your character down to earth after writing A Typical Day.

It was an entertaining read and if that's what you want with your roleplay, fine. But there is absolutely nothing down to earth about Otto if that story is a typical day in his life. And you stating that your RP is such after ragging on straw-man Miqo rpers so hard takes the cake.

(09-30-2014, 02:40 PM)allgivenover Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 01:44 PM)OttoVann Wrote: I still do think less of most Miq males too if only because for better or worse the large portion of IC interactions I have had with them were...stupid.  A lot of Miq males think of themselves as anime-powered hot-shit with wolverine claws and true ultimate power that can raze a city and are more than willing to pick a fight.  Maybe Im too down to earth in my roleplay

It's hilarious that you consider your character down to earth after writing A Typical Day.

It was an entertaining read and if that's what you want with your roleplay, fine. But there is absolutely nothing down to earth about Otto if that story is a typical day in his life. And you stating that your RP is such after ragging on straw-man Miqo rpers so hard takes the cake.

Come on people know when I say that I mean powers and stuff. Its not a straw-man though, for better or worse. And when you quote me dont forget next time to add the important qualifiers "who want to pick a fight". Quoting me like that is a bit disingenuous and makes it look wrong. I generally leave it alone that people have powers and I actually dont care too much, but when they IC just act like aggressive people who want to fight all the time with me for...whatever reason, thats when Otto starts to think less of Miq males since he has run into a bunch of hot-headed ones. Like I said not all of them are viewed as lesser and Otto is fond of the ones that are level headed - Val, Shonji, and Ziuz after him and I settled our differences.

RE: Does your character have any unfair Bias or Discrimination? - C'kayah Polaali - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 02:43 PM)OttoVann Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 02:40 PM)allgivenover Wrote:

Come on people know when I say that I mean powers and stuff.  Its not a straw-man though, for better or worse.
You, sir, are clearly RPing with the wrong male Miqos!

(09-30-2014, 02:39 PM)Kage Wrote:
(09-30-2014, 02:34 PM)C Wrote: C'kayah is very fond of Coatleque. She's taken him from merely well off all the way to obscenely wealthy in one fell swoop! Angel
What. What happened
Osric Melkire, The Syndicate, Tylwyth Narah and a written charter declaring immunity to search and seizure in Thanalan is what happened. Cool