Hydaelyn Role-Players
Storyline introducing SCANDAL to an event involving winnings - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Storyline introducing SCANDAL to an event involving winnings (/showthread.php?tid=8448)

Pages: 1 2

Storyline introducing SCANDAL to an event involving winnings - Kage - 09-30-2014

So I seem to have the ok to proceed with this.

First of all, let me make this utterly clear. At no point will anyone participating be accepting the price OOCly. I will be in full contact with those running Grindstone during and after the event to make sure.

Now then, to the heart of it all. The prizes of the Grindstone have been getting heftier and heftier. 300k! Perhaps getting close to 1mil?! Kage himself plans on adding to the pot himself when he decides he might help instead. What happens? Greedy people... those down on their luck... the poor of Pearl lane... they might think they have really good shots at getting a good chunk of it.

How?

By colluding with large groups of others to throw the fights, bribe others, coerce others, to steer the matches in a direction that would allow them to 'win'. Thus the prizes are then split and depending on their successes they continue.

Who?

Well obviously this wouldn't work by my highlander alt all by himself. He needs buddies! He needs people in on it. You may be willing to offer your main(gasp!) and thereby placing them in a good spot of developing some character but if/when Sindl/other Grindstone runner finds out... Your main probably won't be able to participate or actually earn the prizes. I don't know how the Grindstone would react so that consequence is just as in the air as character development! You may make an alt that will help develop others' RP, those who just started to fight... those who have been fighting... etc. They will in turn be reacting to this plot possibly.

This will be a work in progress as I want to help develop something for everyone who presently or in the future want to participate in the Grindstone. I think it would give people something interesting to react to. As such, the group will be sloppy somehow. If they win a few times, clues or hints will be dropped that these aren't legit winnings around people who have fought with them or have attended the grindstone.

If you are interested, please help me brainstorm how to implement it. Any character names should not be dropped as I know people won't metagame but I do want some element of surprise as to when it starts to be attempted / continued.

Again, no one who agrees to this will be receiving any of the prize. The winning is -strictly- IC and if you receive anything I will know. Sindl will be informed at the end if the fighter in the end is part of the plot. I assume that Sindl and Otto or other benefactors will a lot it to the next fighter(s) not in on the prize or pool it for when they do not win for the next Grindstone.

Thoughts? Concerns? I want to make this a good event for everyone involved.

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Warren Castille - 09-30-2014

My only concern(hope?) is that the people allegedly actually trying to game the Grindstone wise the hell up and stop trying to rig the event.

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Kage - 09-30-2014

Referencing this group or other things *whistles>.>*

In terms of this storyline, I'll have to speak with those who may want in. But it's all up to their characters!

Hell one of them could wise up and rat them all out!

Guilty conscience and all that.

others can be content with the winnings they get once and stop, while others continue.

For all I know it could be called out the very first time (but I'd also like to believe that the characters aren't -that- sloppy as I want to try and have it impact people in someway some how). But if that's how the RP rolls I can live with it.

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Coatleque - 09-30-2014

I like the idea. Especially with how popular the Grindstone has become lately. Coatleque still won't participate, but she'll gladly watch from the sidelines and cast judgmental glances at people as they are caught!

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - OttoVann - 09-30-2014

Gosh, its too bad the money wont OOCly flow to the 'winners' when the rigging is happening. How else will I throw money around now ;__;

Actually I have an idea....time to post a new thread about fight club inspired events that maybe Iron and I could host.

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Berrod Armstrong - 09-30-2014

I'm...not so sure I like this idea, to be honest. The Grindstone is a stable event with a very clear purpose, and the prize money** is just  supposed to be a bit of gravy on a night of suspenseful by-the-roll fighting. The event is a success because of it's very...standard...nature and rocking that boat may lead to trouble. 

Like -- hmm. I sent people to the Grindstone all the time, especially newcomers, with a very specific idea of what the event/competition is all about. I know I'm not the only one who does that, so you might end up with a bunch of new people (unaware of this planning) who show up for it and don't get what they expect. 

The PREMISE is cool...but the idea itself, to me, is iffy. That's just my opinion, though!

**The large prize comes with...complications. Back in the day people would all put up 500 gil and the organizers would put up a bit for a decent little pot. I know the current organizers had started offering material rewards as well. When this thing starts being about the money...well, you know what that does to things.

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Kage - 09-30-2014

Haha, well as I said the money can be pooled into the next one if they don't win.

Imagine the surprise of everyone when the pool is suddenly 3 mil.

Oh the RNG gods shine on thee that day.

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - C'kayah Polaali - 09-30-2014

I'd be happy to offer C'kayah or Setoh as the dirty mind behind this Smile

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - OttoVann - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 02:29 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I'm...not so sure I like this idea, to be honest. The Grindstone is a stable event with a very clear purpose, and the prize money** is just  supposed to be a bit of gravy on a night of suspenseful by-the-roll fighting. The event is a success because of it's very...standard...nature and rocking that boat may lead to trouble. 

Like -- hmm. I sent people to the Grindstone all the time, especially newcomers, with a very specific idea of what the event/competition is all about. I know I'm not the only one who does that, so you might end up with a bunch of new people (unaware of this planning) who show up for it and don't get what they expect. 

The PREMISE is cool...but the idea itself, to me, is iffy. That's just my opinion, though!

**The large prize comes with...complications. Back in the day people would all put up 500 gil and the organizers would put up a bit for a decent little pot. I know the current organizers had started offering material rewards as well. When this thing starts being about the money...well, you know what that does to things.

this is all very true and I wonder how it would affect the people that I have helped guide to the GS as well. It was at 18 participants last week and I helped in that with a few people of my own.

You also have valid concerns about the money IC/OOC. I just like sponsoring it to show off in a sort of way. Ive always been very open and clear with Sindl if he wants it to stop just say so and I can only give like 150k over half a million (which is the plan for this week).

Actually yes if Keiran comes through and pushes me, her and I will both give 500k this week putting it to a base of 1 million before other benefactors show up. Is 1 million actual gil too much for something like this? I dont know. Its a decent amount of money even to someone like me Id love to have a million more gil just handed to me.

Who knows maybe Im meddling too much. By the way if Keiran doesnt show up Ill only put up 300k this week. That means at a minimum the payout will be 350k which is much smaller but at least its something.

(09-30-2014, 02:29 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: so you might end up with a bunch of new people (unaware of this planning) who show up for it and don't get what they expect. 
Could you explain what this portion means? If it turns out that it doesn't work out I don't want to mess with things of course but considering something I had heard and then this popped in my mind I wanted to use it as a chance to drive it a little. Not everyone will be forced to be involved in it. I would never allow people to be coerced or bribed if they didn't wish for it. Just, right now, I'm not sure how this would affect the fact that people are going to be there simply fighting, learning not just about how to deal with combat RP but the rolls too if they aren't part of it?

(09-30-2014, 02:32 PM)C Wrote: I'd be happy to offer C'kayah or Setoh as the dirty mind behind this Smile
I'll contact you later if we get more hands? For now we can talk about vague how it happens etc here?

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Warren Castille - 09-30-2014

There's the interesting angle of "what happens afterwards?" There's a conspiracy, it turns out that fighters are throwing fights and that sort of sullies the whole thing, right? Imagine if like, UFC or boxing (snicker) came out as being completely faked. Hell, football or sports in general. How do you retain fans? Athletes?

It's a story, yeah, but I'm not sure if the damage it does to the Grindstone in general is worth it, not unless all of the people being put on the line as cheaters are fine with being mass-executed by the Overseers for their crimes.

No issues with the story. Large concerns with the fallout following it. I'd hate to see the Grindstone's reputation drop for a short-term payoff, you know?

Indeed, I don't know how the overseers would handle it but if you think the fallout would be bad I definitely don't want to be known as the dumbass who planned something that ruined a great thing.

I've made an alt specifically for this purpose and would happily agree to his death for sullying the name of the event for a bit.

I know some people have mentioned though that perhaps the winnings shouldn't be announced at the beginning. Perhaps in the championship round...

(09-30-2014, 02:43 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: There's the interesting angle of "what happens afterwards?" There's a conspiracy, it turns out that fighters are throwing fights and that sort of sullies the whole thing, right? Imagine if like, UFC or boxing (snicker) came out as being completely faked. Hell, football or sports in general. How do you retain fans? Athletes?

It's a story, yeah, but I'm not sure if the damage it does to the Grindstone in general is worth it, not unless all of the people being put on the line as cheaters are fine with being mass-executed by the Overseers for their crimes.

No issues with the story. Large concerns with the fallout following it. I'd hate to see the Grindstone's reputation drop for a short-term payoff, you know?

Thanks for saying it like this, my tired brain at work was struggling to conceptualize the problem. The grindstone is advertised as not 'sport' but at the same time it has a following for a reason like any sport or competition. It is possible to have that ruined and maybe less show up overall. Who knows

RE: Storyline involving the Grindstone and Disrupting the flow of the winnings - Nyorai - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 02:29 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I'm...not so sure I like this idea, to be honest. The Grindstone is a stable event with a very clear purpose, and the prize money** is just  supposed to be a bit of gravy on a night of suspenseful by-the-roll fighting. The event is a success because of it's very...standard...nature and rocking that boat may lead to trouble. 

I agree and have openly expressed this opinion with others involved in the event and through the Linkshells and other organizations I've been a part of.

The Grindstone is a great event for combat RPers and spectators alike to come and enjoy. I'd hate to see it lose that charm over giant prize pools. Perhaps as Otto suggested, there is another way in which an event that encourages say, betting on combatants or what not? Could incorporate the things Kage has mentioned, shady dealing, perhaps rigging matches here and there?

It sounds like it could be fun and perhaps a little darker, but in my opinion keep it out of an already long time successful event! Make another for it, hell we can always use more events right?

Just my 5 cents.

Edit: And Otto I know you mean well and yes you have openly expressed multiple times that if anytime anyone wants it to stop just say so. Not calling you out at all <3

((This is totes why I wanted discussion about it!!))

It does not have to be the grindstone per say, as suggested there could be different ones.

But... it might be too obvious? I guess is the word. Random pop up event that just started after I make this thread... And there was no other event similar to the Grindstone that I couldn't think of something else.

If people would be willing to start their own events that go on similar to the grindstone that is willing to be "tainted" by this scandal I'd appreciate that suggestion too.