Hydaelyn Role-Players
WikiLore planning and discussion - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: WikiLore planning and discussion (/showthread.php?tid=8449)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

WikiLore planning and discussion - FreelanceWizard - 09-30-2014

This is a thread for discussing the WikiLore project (first suggested in this thread). All interested parties are welcome to post. Smile

The way I see it, the key action items are:
  1. Create a new namespace on the wiki
  2. Install FlaggedRevs or ApprovedRevs to provide the option of a vetting/approval process while still benefitting from the free-for-all that is a wiki
  3. Create speculation and disambiguation templates
  4. Come up with some basic rules such as citations, marking speculation, etc. and create templates to assist in this process
  5. Define basic formatting rules/style guide
  6. Lore hunters to self-identify, as well as volunteers to specialize in wikiwork and promotion of the project
Thoughts? Ideas? Who wants in?

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Olofantur - 09-30-2014

Heya,

I'd be happy to put in time reviewing and adding my own information, the OS&R have done a few internal "lore information gatherings" about what we can dig up in the game on certain topics.

For Speculation, do you think there could be a custom spoiler tag that could be used?

Looking forward to working on this. Cactuar

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - FreelanceWizard - 09-30-2014

Yeah, we could probably do an expand-y style tag pair, or maybe something that wraps the text in a different color div. Are we thinking we want to hide speculation by default or just make it obvious?

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Olofantur - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 03:57 PM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: Yeah, we could probably do an expand-y style tag pair, or maybe something that wraps the text in a different color div. Are we thinking we want to hide speculation by default or just make it obvious?

I'd hide it by default, like spoilers I think it might be a bit too tempting to skim over it otherwise.

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Maril - 09-30-2014

I want in! :p As stated before, willing to help out where I can but lore hunting /writing things down is probably more an area where I can be useful, as I am by no means savvy with wiki editing, I /barely/ got the templates put on for my characters wikipages xD I can also assist in brainstorming for topics (I already have a long list).
I would have to read some guides. I probably should regardless.

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Random Encounter - 09-30-2014

Likiwise, I'd gladly put in time reviewing and adding information for this project. My template building skills however, are rusty at best.

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Sounsyy - 09-30-2014

While my primary focus is to my own endeavor at the moment, as discussed, I'm more than willing to help out as I can. As either a reviewer or contributor. Also any lore information or links gleaned while researching my own project I'm more than happy to translate over into the new RPC wiki as well. Just lemme know how I can help! ^^

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Erik Mynhier - 09-30-2014

I would love in on various topics, Sultansworn, House of Fortemps, Ala Mhigo are all topics I have collected info on.

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - ArmachiA - 10-01-2014

I could be a contributor, or a whip cracker. Whatever is needed XD

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Olofantur - 10-01-2014

A few possible things? [the obvious ones at least]

Citations to other wiki's [not including the one we're setting up, but excluding any speculation on the linked to page.] is not considered authoritative and should count as speculation, unless you point to the source that the same wiki pointed to and that source can be validated.

Perhaps a "All submissions require at least one screen shot of in-game text pertinent to the article or link to an official square page providing the same information." [actually it might be better to just say "picture" since with the new art book coming along that might have some source material.]

Should there be some multistep validation before the information shows up to all users? 2 people required to both be able to validate the information before it goes live? [I suppose this depends on how you want to take submissions and do updating, if you wanted to have a discussion on each page and then have a 'reviewer' sign off on it before its hosted, or if you want to do some kind of vote system...]

I'm guessing we should also create tags for Patch data [this data gathered before X.X ect.] since NPC dialogue has and will continue to change as the game goes on.

And what about 1.0 information the people would like to reference back to? Would those belong on sub pages to avoid confusion on things a casual reader might stumble into? Or just another patch tag?

Just some early morning thoughts.

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Nyorai - 10-01-2014

I would love to assist with this project yet must admit I am extremely lacking in the ways of the wiki, citations, format (wiki language) etc. Terrible in fact. BUT I'd love to help anywhere I can. Lore digging, screenshots, hell I've even gone back myself and watched all the cut scenes from 1.0.

This is a great idea by the way and I can't wait to see it to fruition!

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Melkire - 10-01-2014

(10-01-2014, 10:51 AM)Olofantur Wrote: And what about 1.0 information the people would like to reference back to? Would those belong on sub pages to avoid confusion on things a casual reader might stumble into? Or just another patch tag?

I feel that 1.0 lore ought to be segregated somehow (patch tag works, though I'd personally prefer something more discriminating), and notices/disclaimers of some sort thrown up as headers on those pages. 1.0 lore exists in this dubious "is it or is it not still canon?" headspace that is at times contradicted by 2.0 information.

As a player from 2.0 and onward, I must say that I am often flummoxed when I'm presented with 1.0 lore that doesn't jive with what I've actually been seeing/reading/experiencing with ARR.

Case in point: linkpearls are supposed to be these huge things roughly the size of baseballs? At least they are going by what I've seen a few times in RP from people I presumed to be 1.0 players... but everything in the MSQ of 2.0 says they're small enough to fit into your ear (see: Minfilia and how she reaches for her ear every time she calls the PC). Maybe the larger size is a holdover from people's experience with FFXI? I wouldn't know, and I don't have a resource to turn to that tells me what's from where, which is correct for ARR, and why.

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - FreelanceWizard - 10-01-2014

Just slipping in here to say that, yes, I'm following this thread. Smile I'm intentionally not posting because this is a community effort, and I don't want to bias anything by stating opinions one way or another on these key elements (except my basic opinions that the layout and style need to be consistent and we need to use templates to help achieve that, which I'll write once the specifics are hammered out).

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Olofantur - 10-01-2014

(10-01-2014, 01:15 PM)Melkire Wrote:
(10-01-2014, 10:51 AM)Olofantur Wrote: And what about 1.0 information the people would like to reference back to? Would those belong on sub pages to avoid confusion on things a casual reader might stumble into? Or just another patch tag?

I feel that 1.0 lore ought to be segregated somehow (patch tag works, though I'd personally prefer something more discriminating), and notices/disclaimers of some sort thrown up as headers on those pages. 1.0 lore exists in this dubious "is it or is it not still canon?" headspace that is at times contradicted by 2.0 information.

As a player from 2.0 and onward, I must say that I am often flummoxed when I'm presented with 1.0 lore that doesn't jive with what I've actually been seeing/reading/experiencing with ARR.

Case in point: linkpearls are supposed to be these huge things roughly the size of baseballs? At least they are going by what I've seen a few times in RP from people I presumed to be 1.0 players... but everything in the MSQ of 2.0 says they're small enough to fit into your ear (see: Minfilia and how she reaches for her ear every time she calls the PC). Maybe the larger size is a holdover from people's experience with FFXI? I wouldn't know, and I don't have a resource to turn to that tells me what's from where, which is correct for ARR, and why.

Really the size of baseballs? huh I wonder who thought that... The one thats handed over to you by Momo in the Ul'dah starting quests fits in your ear, although it also "glows" when someone is trying to contact you, and your character holds it out and it talks to you, so I can't imagine it being that big, i've always RP'ed it as small. Anyways a bit off track.

I agree that perhaps a link to "To see discussions about the 1.0 version of this article please click here" would be nice, or [depending on how the template system turns out] a separate tab.

And you should post Freelance, maybe its just me but I don't tend to do the "oh this persons an admin that means I agree thing." but then i'm pretty anti-authority anyways.

Side note,
What are the thoughts of making a 1.0 vs 2.0 page as well for this lore wiki? like a page to show interesting differences between the two [maybe a comparison of terrain/maps/monsters and the like?]

RE: WikiLore planning and discussion - Maril - 10-01-2014

I definitely think that 1.0 lore needs to be filtered out somehow, or at the very least be sectioned so that it's very apparent that it is dated lore. Some of it might still be valid (or even fill in voids), but I imagine there is a lot of changes to - and this IS 2.0 we are playing, so naturally that should be the focus. 

In terms of spoilers, I think a big fat disclaimer on the "front page" of the wiki should be all there is on it. Because at the end of the day, there's a lot of things that could be spoiled, but in order to explain something or involve somethings history (ie. garleans) you kind of have to spoil it. I think it would be a waste of time if we have to sit and hide individual things that are spoilers, might as well just let people know what to expect and be done with it. 

As for validation, I would say having two people sign off on it would be a-okay, but perhaps lower it to just one if there are screenshots in the sources? That way you essentially just need to have one person validate that the screenshots are valid and not of someones cat. 

One thing came to mind, how about proofreading and such? Despite being pretty fluent in English, I still make some grammatical errors. Is it something to think about when validating something or should we just let people fix the errors as they get discovered?