Hydaelyn Role-Players
Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Dislikes: BAD THINGS (/showthread.php?tid=8451)

Pages: 1 2 3

Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Seriphyn - 09-30-2014

I should make it a habit to make threads complaining about RP character trends, rather than actually try to contribute anything constructive to the community [/scathingself-deprecation]

All in good time. For today's 'Stop not doing good' thread from myself, I wanted to point out how I've noticed that people tend to put a lot of unambiguously bad stuff under their 'Dislikes' on their character profiles. Voidsent, Garlean Empire, Ascians, rapists, murder, dishonor, crime, betrayal, feeling lonely/powerless/other negative emotion, exploitation of others, Nickelback, and so forth. My initial reaction to be blunt is "Yeah, no shit?" (well, unless there's Himself/Herself, in which case I go "Such edge"). Put one of those under "Likes" and THEN we'll have something interesting on our hands (and probably a bit weird...)

Even mine for Kale aren't that great. Thaumaturgy. Onoes another magiphobic character. Miqo'te. Onoes another cat-hate band-wagoner. Inconsistency. Onoes you just lambasted people having unambiguously negative things under 'Dislikes'. I should really fix those.

Anyway, do you believe you have something a bit different and less cliche under your character's 'Dislikes'? If so, what are they?

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Coatleque - 09-30-2014

Likes and dislikes can change often, especially in the course of RP. I don't list either partly because I never know when they might change, and partly because I'm too lazy to think something up.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Berrod Armstrong - 09-30-2014

• People who seem to think that they're better than others without proving so first.

• Weak individuals who would cower helplessly before putting up a fight.

• Reading.

Only three, but I don't think they're too bad.
I should really put Nickelback on there though. Berrod would HATE that stuff.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Melkire - 09-30-2014

Mine are mostly cliché and awful.

...a hatred of card sharps is a little out of the way, though, especially considering that Osric doesn't particularly hate any other kind of cheat. Loaded dice? Fine. Rigged roulette? Fine. You're manipulating my cards? SCUMBAG.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Roen - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 03:58 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: I should really put Nickelback on there though. Berrod would HATE that stuff.

OH my goodness. I need to add it too.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - C'kayah Polaali - 09-30-2014

After looking at the venerable likes/dislikes section of C'kayah's wiki ("Dislikes: Garleans" *wince*), I was motivated to change it all. At the same time, my mind took a musical bent. In the end, it really fits C'kayah well:

• Getting caught in the rain
  • People with at least half a brain
  • Makin love at midnight in the dunes of the cape
  • Champagne
  • The feel of the ocean
Dislikes
  • Yoga
  • Health food
  • Red tape

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Mithril Specs - 09-30-2014

Ohoho, but the often stated hate for all things Garlean is what makes me feel justified in making my deserter be paranoid to the max~

Ah, seriously though, it's such an easy pitfall to just tumble into, I don't wanna count the times I put something like "rude people" in a dislikes section, as obvious as that should be. Hmm, I think it does make some sense to point it out, if a character has a particularly seething hatred for "bad thing x" and if said dislike defines them, but outside of that, this sure is a good thing to remind myself of as I edit those wiki profiles.

PS: Shouldn't Nickelback be kind of a no-brainer, too? Wink

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - DreamedReality - 09-30-2014

I take no issue with the over generic types of likes/dislikes. I take them as a sign OOCly of where a person's interests lie in the RP they want with that character. It gives ideas for possible hooks and getting an individual involved. And generic gives a lot of wiggle room to do such.

It also gives some insight as to char background at a very quick 'soundbite' sort of list. If the individual lists slavery as a dislike but not garleans then I can guess that a slaver has in some way had a greater influence in a character's past than the imperials have.

Yeah, they might not be poetic but it's certainly useful. And as Coatleque pointed out... very specific likes/dislikes can change over time. Sometimes rapidly. So a broad range generic list needs less maintenance.

Dunno if others agree but it gives me a small measure of amusement when someone lists a particular something in both the likes column and dislikes column. And I did it with Jaques's list with 'being drunk'.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Sounsyy - 09-30-2014

One of Sounsyy's listed dislikes is her own body. I don't know whether that's a common "bad thing" or not. But she also hates Ul'dah quite vehemently, which I'm hoping will make interesting roleplay when she becomes more political activist.

I don't mind the general, broad dislikes. To me, it gives me a quick feel for the character. If a character hates Ul'dah for example, why do they hate Ul'dah? Did something happen to them there? Etc. Versus, my character likes her chocobo, Clairemont. It's too specific. That's great for Sounsyy that she likes her chocobo... but it doesn't engage anybody reading her wiki. It's just kind of a "that's nice" thing.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Lillith Cale - 09-30-2014

I think mine are fairly generic as well, outside of the whole not liking people talking bad about her... differently abled Chocobo.

Honestly, when it came to writing them I just kinda brick wall'd xD

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Kellach Woods - 09-30-2014

Eh, since Kell isn't super familiar with Eorzea yet I decided to give him some standard stuff like being put on the spot.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Warren Castille - 09-30-2014

I'm guilty of it, but I think everyone hates bad things. I just figured the list was the bad things that especially stood out. Nobody likes a murderer, for example, but maybe your character's got a strong feeling about bullying? Maybe they dislike voidsent especially because their parents worked as servants at Haukke.

It's not necessarily just cliche, sometimes it's the ripple on the surface of a deep pool.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Verad - 09-30-2014

Cactuars. Benign enough, but considering cactuars are a major component of one of Verad's most "popular" services, he winds up in a frustrating love-hate relationship with stupid wriggling green things that mutilate him with 1,000 Needles at random for no clear reason.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - Jancis - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 05:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm guilty of it, but I think everyone hates bad things. I just figured the list was the bad things that especially stood out. Nobody likes a murderer, for example, but maybe your character's got a strong feeling about bullying? Maybe they dislike voidsent especially because their parents worked as servants at Haukke.

It's not necessarily just cliche, sometimes it's the ripple on the surface of a deep pool.

That's definitely a great avenue to look at it as far as what kinds of dislikes they are and the impact they have on the character. The intensity of the dislike.

Maybe some of them are simple pet-peeves and annoyances.

Or maybe some of them send the person into an absolute fury like trigger words.

Jancis has a great annoyance with being called Child to the point that is really upsets her, or even if she does something she considers to be a childish mistake she will mule over and fume taking out the frustration in probably a brutal training session.

RE: Dislikes: BAD THINGS - TheLastCandle - 09-30-2014

(09-30-2014, 05:54 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I'm guilty of it, but I think everyone hates bad things. I just figured the list was the bad things that especially stood out. Nobody likes a murderer, for example, but maybe your character's got a strong feeling about bullying? Maybe they dislike voidsent especially because their parents worked as servants at Haukke.

This is my take, exactly. Anything I bothered to write under any of my characters' "Dislikes" columns can be considered to be among their very least favorite things under the sun.