Hydaelyn Role-Players
One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. (/showthread.php?tid=855)

Pages: 1 2 3

One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Satisiun - 10-22-2010

Well, one month in by CE standards. No one gives a damn about what you lowly regular release peasants think about this game. Laugh

... alright, I'm kidding. Really! Don't give me that look!

But in all seriousness, it has been an entire month as of today since the game's release to the public, and now seems as good a time as any to troll the waters and see what people around the RPC have to say about Final Fantasy XIV. Not from a role-playing standpoint, but on the game itself. The mechanics, the story, the way the game works, that whole deal.

However let's see if we can't keep those thoughts organized, shall we? I'm going to fire off a code for you to use, where I want you to count off five positive things about the game, five negative things about the game, and then any additional thoughts you might have that might be good, or bad, or just general observations of a neutral variety. Or even use that section to talk about what you want to see added in at some point, or hope to see at least. Be as thorough or as brief as you like.

Had I more time, I'd do this myself right now, but I bail for work in ... eesh, 10 minutes. Undecided So not exactly enough time until I get home some time tonight. Considering how dull this place has been lately ever since a certain, unmentionable bit of drama ended, I figure anything to get people talking is a good thing, right?
  • The Good (positives)
  • [/list:u]
    • The Bad (negatives)
      • The Not-So-Ugly (thoughts, hopes, neutrality, etc.)

And here's the conveniently copy and paste-able code so you don't have to quote my own post:
        Code:
        [list][size=large][b][color=#00BFFF]The Good (positives)[/color][/b][/size][*]
        [*]
        [*]
        [*]
        [*][/list]

[list][size=large][b][color=#808000]The Bad (negatives)[/color][/b][/size][*]
        [*]
        [*]
        [*]
        [*][/list]

[list][size=large][b][color=#FFFFFF]The Not-So-Ugly (thoughts, hopes, neutrality, etc.)[/color][/b][/size][*]
        [*]
        [*]
        [*]
        [*][/list]

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Tagyr - 10-22-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • Crafting is fun
  • Grouping is fun (as it should be)
    • The Bad (negatives)
    • As a conjurer killing stuff 'too' fast is detrimental in getting skill points.
    • Killing stuff 'too' slow as a conjurer puts them at risk due to their squishy armor.
    • Archer class is somewhat expensive.
    • Crafting can be extremely frustrating at times due to the invisible numbers game it plays.
    • No real incentive to group?
    • The bugs, oh the bugs....
      • Most of the stuff above regarding casters is balancing issues with the random number system behind skill points.
      • They seem to be aware of the crafting annoyances.
      • Bugs seem to be aware of if they gave us 30 free days..

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Freyar - 10-22-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • Better direction available for players.
  • Armory Systems provides interesting character combinations.
  • Game is very pretty.[/list:u]

• The Bad (negatives)
    • Game doesn't scale well. Seems overly aggressive on particle effects and the like.
    • CPU use seems to be over-used for what is shown on screen.
    • Skill-Point gain is bonkers.
    • Enmity is broken making playing as primarily a caster extremely trying. (Punishing Barbs bombing anyone?)
    • Market as it is, is completely useless.
    • Targeting is near impossible, especially in heavy combat.[/list:u]

• Content will be added over time.
      • Major bugs will be ironed out over time.
      • More information on game mechanics could be released by SE.[/list:u]

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Chveya - 10-22-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • Crafting is so much more interesting.
  • There's no such thing as 'junk loot'.
  • It's perfectly possible to solo.
  • It's perfectly possible to function as a crafter/gatherer.
  • It's beautiful.[/list:u]
    • The Bad (negatives)
    • Targeting. Oh god, targeting.
    • Low-rank synth failures. Really, SE?
    • Low volume of quests.
    • No search for retainer sales.
    • Group finding (and sometimes leaving) can be... awkward. [/list:u]
      • I like that things show up on my minimap without needing a skill/class for it. >_>
      • I'm looking forward to other transport, but I like that teleporting is an option right out of the gate, rather than requiring a skill or class for it.
      • Exploring is interesting, but I'd like to see more -things- in the wilderness.
      • The sky is beautiful.
      • Multi-classing for all? No training new abilities? Re-assignment of points? THANK YOU GODS.[/list:u]

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - FreelanceWizard - 10-22-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • It's wonderfully pretty.
  • Since we've gotten out of beta, performance on my system (i7-930, GTX 470) is surprisingly good for the graphical quality.
  • The city-specific story arcs -- at least what I've seen of them -- are pretty interesting and uniquely positioned; you're not the star of the story at first, which is a refreshing change of pace.
  • The Armory System lets you build whatever character you want, which is tremendously neat.
  • You can solo effectively, but that's no amazing thing these days. EQ2, WoW, CoH, CO, and more are all designed for soloing. Still, though, I think it's a good feature to have.[/list:u]
    • The Bad (negatives)
    • The lack of content is agonizing when combined with the guildleve content and limits. This alone will likely see me ending my subscription at the end of the extended trial; there's just nothing to do.
    • Performance is egregiously poor on non-high end systems, especially with nVidia cards.
    • Skill point gain is questionably executed, with perverse incentives for poor play (such as dragging out a fight to improve SP gain).
    • Synthesis is overly difficult, especially without any clear guidance on how to do it and what affects it. The lack of a recipe book is crippling.
    • The economy is utterly broken at this point.[/list:u]
      • Even though the UI has issues, it's a clean design that keeps your focus on the characters in the fight. Most other MMOs can't claim that, as you generally have to look off-center to monitor character resources in their stock UIs. I look forward to seeing what they do with it.
      • SE is generally aware of the issues with the game and is willing to work on fixing them.
      • The mechanics are terribly opaque; the game provides little guidance on what stats affect what.
      • I'm glad to see Nobuo Uematsu composing again outside of Distant Worlds, but the soundtrack's a little low key. I want my rockin' battle music, please.
      • The lore is rather sparse at the moment. I'd like to see more available information about the game world.[/list:u]

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Ghunzyr - 10-22-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • The Story – I haven’t seen a lot, but I love what I’ve seen; The Limsa intro was enough to keep me dedicated to see it through to the end
  • The Synthesis System – has some minor annoying issues, and lots of people hate it for some reason, but I enjoy it a lot. Usually I hate crafting in MMOs
  • Being able to switch classes easily, get them all to max level, and mix and match skills from various classes.
  • Large Seamless World
  • You can wear any gear you want[/list:u]
    • The Bad (negatives)
    • There is an auction house in Limsa Lominsa, but it isn’t open for business. The game would do well with an auction house. The wards could be an alternative for those who want to sell without auction time limitations and taxes (like say a percent of the sale goes to the auction house)
    • Why the tiny cap on daily leve quests?
    • Insane Server Lag
    • Far too easy to solo
    • Why is there Interface Lag?!
    • The worst UI I have ever seen in an MMO. The Interface is not quite as bad as those found in the King’s Quest series, but sometimes it feels similar (did I just date myself? lol)[/list:u]
      • Crossing the world feels a bit too “safe” sometimes. Not really detrimental per say, but personally I liked being scared for my life when I ran from San d’Oria to Jeuno at level 5 in Final Fantasy XI
      • I find the casting a little irritating. I love that spells can be done as single target or AE, but the overall process feels a little… tedious? I’m not sure how I would change it.
      • Doing leves is great, but if you are done all your leves for the day, there really aren’t a whole lot of places to hunt. It would be nice if there were more mobs and people could group up, establish a camp, and grind. Yes it is boring and old fashioned, but the option would be nice for those of us who are willing to put in the effort. I may also add that camping mobs for hours was a great way to socialize, it is one of the things I miss most from EverQuest 1. I say this is a neutral point because I know many people are so glad MMOs have moved away from that old model.
      • I like the merchant instances idea, but I think the implementation could be better. Breaking the instances into item categories was a good first step, now if they restricted NPC sellers so that they had to use one of the stands that would be good. Stands give an indication of what is being sold, and they would keep the floor from feeling like Christmas Eve rush at the mall[/list:u]

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Jinxsy - 10-23-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • The RP community is alive, growing and it is possible to randomly walk into a place/camp and chatter to people!
  • Its so pretty!!!
  • It is possible to make your way as a gatherer/crafter
  • I can choose my own path in the game, whatever hybrid of class styles I want to be
  • The story! I'm only on the rank 10 Grid one but it's fab!

• The Bad (negatives)
    • cutting off my text while the menu switches is now getting annoying
    • Text limit! /rage
    • the text box in general, I want to be able to place rp in a different tab to the crafting spam

• The upcoming updates notes are looking great!
      • uh....*scratches head*
      • Nope, I'm stuck for anything else atm!

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - ArmachiA - 10-23-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • It's the world's prettiest crafting sim
  • The mixing of classes is a good idea and seems really fun
    • The Bad (negatives)
    • It's the world's prettiest crafting sim
    • Seriously, after that there's fuck-all to do
    • ....Seriously, the mailbox's don't even work
      • My hope is that the November patch (and December one by proxy) fixes a lot of issues and maybe introduces new classes for fighting.
      • It's the world's prettiest crafting sim.
      • If it doesn't I'm probably off to DCUO

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Jinxsy - 10-23-2010

Nooooo! DC Universe Online is run by SOE! By all that is holy run away before its too late!
*cough* I mean, as an ex EQ2 player I'm fed up of being shafted by SOE exec's

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Anka - 10-23-2010

• The Good (positives)
  • It's pretty
  • Crafting is fun
  • I don't have to get my own mats to do the crafting leves
  • Customization is great[/list:u]

• The Bad (negatives)
    • The clunky UI
    • The inventory is too small to allow for keeping all the stuff you pick up and need to possibly save and use in future crafting
    • The lack of ability to quickly and easily buy and/or sell materials and items. I feel bad each time I leave my character logged on while I go do something else for hours, just in the hopes of getting lucky and getting my bazaar emptied somewhat.
    • Local levequest being anything but local and never offering enough leves in one craft at one location at a decent rank vs your rank to ensure you don't need to visit other cities, paired with the timesink that is travel and anima regen being so darn slow.
    • The way you need to be a crafter way higher then the rank of the final item to make some things, either due to the recipe itself being too difficult, or because needed parts are too difficult.[/list:u]

• That it will shortly be possible to add retainers... Odd though how that feature wasn't in from the start when it always was a part of the pricing scheme, even before launch
      • The planned adjustments to the UI... I hope they add in the ability to map keys to stuff like opening the inventory and journal and character sheet... you know, like every other rpg you can play on a computer allows?
      • It would be nice if they could do something about the lag in setting the hotkeys up when macro-switching between jobs. It's rather annoying to find that unfortunatly half the attacks didn't show up on the hotbar when you've allready engaged... or gotten attacked.

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - ArmachiA - 10-24-2010

Jinxsy Wrote:Nooooo! DC Universe Online is run by SOE! By all that is holy run away before its too late!
*cough* I mean, as an ex EQ2 player I'm fed up of being shafted by SOE exec's

After Square Enix (FFXI/FFXIV), and NCSOFT (Aion and City of Heros) I am very VERY used to being shafted by execs Tongue

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Kurb - 10-24-2010

RIGHT this says it all about FF14
Sadly I'll admit if I saw this b4 the release I'd never of bought it

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-final-fantasy/705893

I feel let down by 14 tbh i expected a highly polished version of ff11 with all of 11's bugs sorted out.It seems all I got for my trouble was an awesome looking game that was full of holes.I think SE rushed this one.I think I'll go back to FFXI I won't bother with the 1 month free extension.When they work out the kinks I'll return
[*][/list]

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Jinxsy - 10-24-2010

These videos really make me mad :twisted: Why chose a conj to solo? They're not the class with the highest dps, *spirit dart* *spirit dart* *spirit dart* *cure* you get the idea. Gridania has to be the worst place to start if you don't like running along winding tunnels with very few mobs to hit along the way as -everybody- who is ahead of you has the exact same idea.

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Nira Muzyka - 10-24-2010

Jinxsy Wrote:These videos really make me mad :twisted: Why chose a conj to solo? They're not the class with the highest dps, *spirit dart* *spirit dart* *spirit dart* *cure* you get the idea. Gridania has to be the worst place to start if you don't like running along winding tunnels with very few mobs to hit along the way as -everybody- who is ahead of you has the exact same idea.

Actually, Conj is tied with Archer for highest DPS >.>

Re: One month later: the pros and cons of FFXIV. - Jinxsy - 10-24-2010

Nira Muzyka Wrote:
Jinxsy Wrote:These videos really make me mad :twisted: Why chose a conj to solo? They're not the class with the highest dps, *spirit dart* *spirit dart* *spirit dart* *cure* you get the idea. Gridania has to be the worst place to start if you don't like running along winding tunnels with very few mobs to hit along the way as -everybody- who is ahead of you has the exact same idea.

Actually, Conj is tied with Archer for highest DPS >.>

Really? Oh my bad, I had no idea, carry on berating the game everyone! Huh