Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. (/showthread.php?tid=8559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Kyrrae L'minia - 04-16-2015

Oh wow, saw this thread bumped, and started at the beginning, then realized I was in a months old section. Jumped to the bump instead. Tongue

Anyway, only point that I would like to bring up, (and it may have been brought up months ago) is to say that the miner bros from 1.0 don't count as an example because they're an extraordinary pair of individuals, i.e. full-time miners are badass dudes. Tis true that their strength would be attributed to their employment, but it still proves the point that with training, lalafell can be very strong. You don't have to be a miner to strength train.

Also, larger =/= strength. I'm just under 5' 6" in real life, and I can handle with ease folk who not only tower over me, but have a much larger frame as well. Why? Not because I'm an x-mutant (I wish. xD ) but because it's simple... I've trained, they haven't lol.

The point I'm making is, if a lalafell says they deliver a powerful punch to your face, don't shrug it off. That's just ridiculous, it's going to hurt you, and if the character had enough strength training, could even break your jaw. On the flipside however, as you so well pointed out with the bump video Warren, basic physics are in play in this game. So if you're playing a lalafell, and a larger race kicks you, you're not just going to absorb the blow, you're going to be knocked back. If it's a powerful kick, you may fly some distance through the air, reminiscent of the bumped video. xD

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Warren Castille - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:47 PM)Caspar Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 12:45 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 12:42 PM)Caspar Wrote: Ah, my least favorite thread, for obvious reasons. XD
Needless to say, if the realism crowd wants to use the discussion here to ignore how I play, they needn't apply to rp with me, ever.

Aw, don't be like that! Your character isn't some random lala throwing a punch, there's Dangerous Chakra and the like involved. I was only wondering how it would go sans-aether!
I'm playing a race who couldn't stand according to the laws of physics, and you want me to apply that to their physical blows? lol.

But I've seen a lala standing on a lala standing on another lala, so that's clearly not the case.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - MadWater - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 12:52 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: But I've seen a lala standing on a lala standing on another lala, so that's clearly not the case.
What about the Lala Centipede?

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Hammersmith - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 01:11 PM)MadWater Wrote:
(04-16-2015, 12:52 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: But I've seen a lala standing on a lala standing on another lala, so that's clearly not the case.
What about the Lala Centipede?
...how do I help make this happen?

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Warren Castille - 04-16-2015

It already has. It was very huggy. And strange. But also kind of cute?

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Hammersmith - 04-16-2015

(04-16-2015, 01:15 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: It already has. It was very huggy. And strange. But also kind of cute?
...but how did it TASTE?

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Caspar - 04-16-2015

That was my character and her two friends. Virara was the bottom, lol.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - MadWater - 04-16-2015

I'm curious if you made this post before or after Warren became Arbiter of the Grindstone.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-16-2015

Lalafells are about the size of young Goku in Dragonball. So if a Lalafell is good at combat, I sort of use that as a mental guideline of what they might be capable of.

[Image: AI8T14z.jpg]

Go for the tail!

(04-16-2015, 02:14 PM)MadWater Wrote: I'm curious if you made this post before or after Warren became Arbiter of the Grindstone.

Well before!

(04-16-2015, 02:27 PM)Natalie Mcbeef Wrote: Lalafells are about the size of young Goku in Dragonball. So if a Lalafell is good at combat, I sort of use that as a mental guideline of what they might be capable of.

[Image: AI8T14z.jpg]

Go for the tail!
*adds to his journal*

Lalas turn into giant murder apes.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Flickering Ember - 04-17-2015

I usually don't like bringing game mechanics into RP, often extremely so. I have seen this thread around for a while but never thought to post in it before. Some folks aren't convinced by the video that was posted here but I think it speaks for itself and what lalafells are capable of. On this point of discussion I referred to game mechanics simply because the alternative seems like walling off RP potential just for taking a certain race. I view it as if someone said "Your female fighter can't go toe to toe with a male one." If you try to explain it away as magic, I feel it discredits what that other person is trying to roleplay.

Fortunately, I can get away with being a muscled female character because that is expected with roegadyns. However, I have been in other games where I played female characters where their strength has been discredited because their character model looks smaller, despite me role-playing them as having a warrior's build.

I think it is worth considering the feats other creatures on our planet in real life can do. For example, man's best friend. Probably about the same height as a lalafell, depending on the breed but also able to take down adult men. There is also the ant, who is able to lift several times its size.

tl;dr if a lalafell can be a disciple of war then they should be just as capable. I definitely think that a lalafell warrior versus a roegadyn warrior will have different pros and cons to the type of physical strength they wield. Although, what precisely those differences are might be hard to pinpoint and may be preference based. It is up to the individual! It's a little too subjective to say hundred percent what a lalafell's strength means.

But then, most things involving the lore seem to have room for debate. I like merging realism into fantasy. I can see how someone might not be able to think of lalafells as having true physical strength. I suppose I just consider it to be one of those things where lalafells defer from humans.

When in doubt just remember: Lalafells are your equals!

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Sarangerel Qestir - 04-17-2015

I'm fairly certain this debate is over, but I had a cent or two to contribute if it hasn't already been done.
We have this fairly easy to acquire bit of information:

"The short, rotund builds of the Lalafell belie an incredible agility, and their seemingly feeble legs are capable of carrying them long distances over any terrain. Many among them are also known for possessing highly developed and cunning intellects."

So we know that they're at least -very fast- just inherently. If we're looking at them and trying to relate them immediately to humans, imagine a child that size (a toddler, thereabouts) running 'long distances over -any- terrain' and obviously, that's not really something most toddlers can do. Lalafell are, though related to Hyur, their own race that has adapted different. They're small and apparently rotund. Who is to say that their musculature isn't simply different, more efficient, for bursts of speed that can (most importantly) be maintained, or for powerful impact given their size? Even if they can hit as hard as an untrained Midlander, that's incredible. And if they were to retrain/repurpose those muscles for combat rather than escaping, that could undoubtedly be accomplished-- but in all situations it would require training. Could a Lalafell rival the sheer strength of a Roegadyn equally dedicated to his or her martial training? Doubtful. A Midlander? Perhaps. They're obviously just far more physically capable than their closest 'real-life' equivalent (children) and how far that goes is debatable.

We saw the 'exceptions' of the miner brothers in 1.0 but that seems far more like examples. If you spend your life doing something, you'll probably get quite good at it. A full grown human man -might- be able to throw someone through closed doors and a few yards down a hallway as the brothers did, but the fact that someone around three feet tall managed it REGARDLESS of how much training they did seems telling that lesser feats of strength like wielding a heavy (proportionate) axe with precision or flipping someone over (especially given your remarkably low center of gravity) is probably possible even if the other lalafell in question isn't as powerful as those examples.

"Well, if they could be that powerful, why isn't it mentioned?" People assume Miqo'te have better hearing and eyesight than I've found any evidence to believe. All that's mentioned is their strong legs and their olfactory sense. That seems to indicate, not that miqo'te can't hear or see better than your typical Hyur, but that of their traits the most characteristic is that one or two that sets the standard against other races. Lalafell aren't as strong as Roegadyn. What's the point in mentioning where their strength level is for the developers, so long as it's not 'the strongest'? There isn't a scale they've released that gives us any way to gauge every race's powers in relation to the others, except this:

http://www.ffxivguild.com/racial-stats-and-god-stats-guide/

Which lists Plainsfolk strength EQUAL to Keeper of the Moon strength and barely beneath Wildwood, Duskwight and-- Hellsguard? Wait. So you're saying a Hellsguard is weaker than a Midlander? And both are weaker than Highlanders? 

Yeah, so, my theory is that they're probably capable of being pretty freaking strong but since they're inclined to use their cunning and high-speed intelligence, they spend more time getting smart and haggling on average than working out. 

TL;DR Lalafell are probably capable of being super-powered for their size, equivalent to Hyur or maybe slightly greater on average, given their small stature and muscular capacity to produce high, sustained speeds. They probably are being but can't be compared to Hyur children despite their stature.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-17-2015

I support Lalafell being as strong/capable as any other race in combat. But I don't think their abilities are a 100% identical comparison.

Imagine the following Scenario: A Lalafell picking up a Highlander Male

What's the first thing you envision? Is the Highlander planking? Did the Lalafell somehow find a way to get the Highlander to stand up straight and balance him?

Or do you think if they were having a fight, the Highlander would just put his arms legs down, because he's like 2-3 times the height of the Lalafell and a little 3 fulm tall person cannot possibly fully life a 6 fulm person off the ground completely?

Sure, a particularly strong Lalafell could pick up -the legs- of said Highlander Male. Could drag him away, just like the 1.0 Miner video. But a supplex or deadlift? Highly unlikiely unless the Highlander was playing along.

Of course, anyone who's played Super Mario 64 knows the highlander could clearly have been grabbed by his bowser-like tail that doesn't exist legs and spun around to throw him, I guess.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - SicketySix - 04-17-2015

The way I see it is like this. A Lalafell punches a Roe in the face, he may break a jaw. A Roe punches a lalafell in the face, and he would completely cave their face in....instant death.