Hydaelyn Role-Players
Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. (/showthread.php?tid=8559)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Zyrusticae - 10-08-2014

Well, okay then. I have no idea how you explain things like the Derplander throwing a man several man-lengths away in the intro cinematic otherwise. It just feels to me like you're trying too hard to reconcile a hard view of reality with a game that just doesn't give a shit about being realistic.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Warren Castille - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 03:35 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Well, okay then. I have no idea how you explain things like the Derplander throwing a man several man-lengths away in the intro cinematic otherwise. It just feels to me like you're trying too hard to reconcile a hard view of reality with a game that just doesn't give a shit about being realistic.

Or... We can acknowledge Derplander IS an actual, factual Warrior of Light and therefor is allowed to have access to huge cleaving moves.

For the most part, we're not them.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Zyrusticae - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 03:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Or... We can acknowledge Derplander IS an actual, factual Warrior of Light and therefor is allowed to have access to huge cleaving moves.

WOW, we do not have a common ground here. Yeah. Yeah...

I'll just say that, as far as I'm concerned, every PC is, by default, a Warrior of Light (or to use a less contentious phrase, Hydaelyn's Chosen) and that I don't really see how pretending to be something lesser is a great virtue or anything of the sort.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Berrod Armstrong - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 08:47 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: ...anyway, this is what I'm wondering. What are some certifiable, actually-sourced lore bits that say that lalafells are as strong as a Roe? I'm not asking for aether theories or Hydaelyn bits, and I also don't care about game-mechanics ("A lala war has the same strength as a highlander one!") for obvious balance reasons. I just want to know how the average lala is able to bench press as much as a <literally any other race here> and throw a punch able to knock down anyone who isn't also a lalafell.
Bolded for relevance. 

There are those who believe the raw, unaugmented strength of a Lalafell is just as much as a Roegadyn's. OP-san just wants to know where that sort of thing can be certifiably sourced.

Perfectly valid question, and people have come up with some interesting bits -- the most interesting of which involve the miner twins from 1.0.

Well, shard me. Don't know how I missed that.

At any rate, even the miner twins I wouldn't necessarily try to explain without aether. I'd break my brain in the attempt. (Or else you have to accept a cartoon physics model and... yeah, I'm pretty sure no one wants that. Right?)

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Berrod Armstrong - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 03:44 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: Well, shard me. Don't know how I missed that.

At any rate, even the miner twins I wouldn't necessarily try to explain without aether. I'd break my brain in the attempt. (Or else you have to accept a cartoon physics model and... yeah, I'm pretty sure no one wants that. Right?)
I had actually wondered myself if they had probably trained themselves to use aether in order to augment their physical strength -- It'd make sense, but SE is so mum on that stuff.

I mean, I understand the use of aether to increase one's physical strength for sure! I play a monk who once punched a gaping hole in an inn-room wall (fffffff -- and had to pay for it afterrrr...). I've actually detailed each of Berrod's chakras to depict what sort of aether comes from where to do what...but I know that if he isn't using any of that and tries to punch that wall he's shit out of luck lol. He can't toss a Roegadyn without it either -- hell, he'd have a hell of a time tossing Warren (the two of them could barely get off the floor) when they fought. Without it...eh. A lot harder to explain. 

tl;dr: TELL US THINGS, SE. 

--OH. IS THAT LORE PANEL THREAD STILL OPEN ON THE OFFICIAL FORUMS?!?!

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Aduu Avagnar - 10-08-2014

It could simply be that lala's are made of denser stuff, so it takes less mass to reach the same effective strength?

(10-08-2014, 03:49 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: --OH. IS THAT LORE PANEL THREAD STILL OPEN ON THE OFFICIAL FORUMS?!?!
Please tell me someone thought to ask this question. This is so important.

(10-08-2014, 03:51 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: It could simply be that lala's are made of denser stuff, so it takes less mass to reach the same effective strength?
We already went over this. Then you have to explain why their chocobos are so tiny (and I don't think "they're ALSO more dense!" is really an acceptable answer).

(10-08-2014, 03:51 PM)Nako Wrote: It could simply be that lala's are made of denser stuff, so it takes less mass to reach the same effective strength?
It could! I just wish they'd let us know for sure.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Kage - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 01:00 PM)Kage Wrote: Also: I asked it. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/194866-Ask-Questions-for-the-Lore-Panel-at-the-Las-Vegas-Fan-Festival%21?p=2489584&viewfull=1#post2489584

I'll try to ask it again at FanFest, because I honestly do not believe that in-game we have an answer. But I truly believe that if lalafell weren't able to be able to hold their own and it was as if a 24 year old was hitting a 4 year old, that no martial minded commander would ever them into their armed forces.
Asked on the lore forum thread. Asked on the reddit thread where they are gathering questions to ask Yoshi-p in the reddit interview that they will get at fanfest.

Edit: What if in a process similar to evolution and natural selection, lalafell bodies naturally (and not consciously) somehow have converted aether into a form of... well muscle power?

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Aduu Avagnar - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 03:51 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 03:49 PM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: --OH. IS THAT LORE PANEL THREAD STILL OPEN ON THE OFFICIAL FORUMS?!?!
Please tell me someone thought to ask this question. This is so important.

(10-08-2014, 03:51 PM)Nako Wrote: It could simply be that lala's are made of denser stuff, so it takes less mass to reach the same effective strength?
We already went over this. Then you have to explain why their chocobos are so tiny (and I don't think "they're ALSO more dense!" is really an acceptable answer).
why not? it could certainly be the case.

(10-08-2014, 03:38 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 03:36 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Or... We can acknowledge Derplander IS an actual, factual Warrior of Light and therefor is allowed to have access to huge cleaving moves.

WOW, we do not have a common ground here. Yeah. Yeah...

I'll just say that, as far as I'm concerned, every PC is, by default, a Warrior of Light (or to use a less contentious phrase, Hydaelyn's Chosen) and that I don't really see how pretending to be something lesser is a great virtue or anything of the sort.
Also, Nako is not a warrior of Light, Moengeim, is not a warrior of light, Shy, is not a warrior of light.... in fact most of the people I RP with, are not warriors of light....

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Aya - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 03:53 PM)Kage Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 01:00 PM)Kage Wrote: Also: I asked it. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/194866-Ask-Questions-for-the-Lore-Panel-at-the-Las-Vegas-Fan-Festival%21?p=2489584&viewfull=1#post2489584

I'll try to ask it again at FanFest, because I honestly do not believe that in-game we have an answer. But I truly believe that if lalafell weren't able to be able to hold their own and it was as if a 24 year old was hitting a 4 year old, that no martial minded commander would ever them into their armed forces.
Asked on the lore forum thread. Asked on the reddit thread where they are gathering questions to ask Yoshi-p in the reddit interview that they will get at fanfest.

Edit: What if in a process similar to evolution and natural selection, lalafell bodies naturally (and not consciously) somehow have converted aether into a form of... well muscle power?
I think it would be disappointing if this were to be the case.  It would mean a less varied, less interesting, and less immersive world.  In-character it would dampen Aya's respect and admiration for Lalafel such as Kage and any Lalafel member of the Blades, the Grand Companies, etc., but no doubt it would mean that their lives were vastly easier.

Edit: She would still love Kage, but the full, heartening impact of Lalafel courage would be diminished Smile

(10-08-2014, 03:53 PM)Kage Wrote: Asked on the lore forum thread. Asked on the reddit thread where they are gathering questions to ask Yoshi-p in the reddit interview that they will get at fanfest.
On the 34th page... I think the odds of it showing up are astronomically low, unfortunately. Sad

(10-08-2014, 03:53 PM)Kage Wrote: Edit: What if in a process similar to evolution and natural selection, lalafell bodies naturally (and not consciously) somehow have converted aether into a form of... well muscle power?
Hmmm. Hmmmm!

Hmmmmm...

(10-08-2014, 04:00 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 03:51 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
why not? it could certainly be the case.
Well, really, because it's basically nonsense. Their (the Lalafells') physical structure alone is completely impractical for any sort of locomotion.

I prefer an explanation that doesn't require a complete restructuring of my entire understanding of the game universe's physics. Aether's much simpler in that regard.

Edit: Think of it like this. Throwing in aether is more of an X+1. Much easier to understand. "Lalafells are more dense!", on the other hand, is like completely restructuring the very fundamentals of mathematics and science to produce a more equitable end result. It's too much work for something so, erm, little.

(10-08-2014, 04:01 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: Also, Nako is not a warrior of Light, Moengeim, is not a warrior of light, Shy, is not a warrior of light.... in fact most of the people I RP with, are not warriors of light....
Yeah, that's fine, but it's also not canon.

We make up our own canon, of course, but the official byline is that every PC is one of Hydaelyn's Chosen. Yes, this can be kind of nonsensical given how the story is told (i.e. with your PC as the center of it all), but it is what it is.

RE: Lalafell, strength and you! Light up the Sounsyy Signal. - Kage - 10-08-2014

(10-08-2014, 04:09 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(10-08-2014, 03:53 PM)Kage Wrote: Edit: What if in a process similar to evolution and natural selection, lalafell bodies naturally (and not consciously) somehow have converted aether into a form of... well muscle power?
Hmmm. Hmmmm!

Hmmmmm...
Is that good or bad? XD I mean, at this point I'm just throwing random thoughts into the air because honestly I don't think there's really a definitive answer ever until SE says so otherwise. We can go back and forth or whatnot all day and never be satisfied except for just settling to go with our own opinions.

(10-08-2014, 04:03 PM)Aya Wrote: I think it would be disappointing if this were to be the case. It would mean a less varied, less interesting, and less immersive world. In-character it would dampen Aya's respect and admiration for Lalafel such as Kage and any Lalafel member of the Blades, the Grand Companies, etc., but no doubt it would mean that their lives were vastly easier.

Edit: She would still love Kage, but the full, heartening impact of Lalafel courage would be diminished Smile
But this is why Kage always wonders what is such a big deal about what he does!