Hydaelyn Role-Players
Half naked! Oh no!! - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Half naked! Oh no!! (/showthread.php?tid=8593)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Half naked! Oh no!! - Michelleswain - 10-10-2014

Alright time for another one of my rants! Blush

I think I'm getting old, but it's slowly starting to bug me when characters around me point out; "Hey you're wearing revealing clothes" even though Feo is in her tribal subligar. She turns around and tells them "Uhm... but dis wha my tribe war all da time." But they have none of it and want her to put on a sweater...

So that brings me to an issue I've been noticing lately. Part of it having to do with bringing everyday sensibilities into the fantasy world (another one of those OOC into IC bleeds). Now, I'm assuming that the general Eorzean public is used to tribal sorts (or people from any origin) visiting the various cities to trade and do what ever business right?

It's the same as if I visited Africa, New Guinea, or the Australian outback and started going; "Oh the horror! You people aren't wearing clothes! She needs to put a shirt on!"

Should I expect that the culture clash between the citizens of the city states and outsiders be that bad?

Isn't it common that some warriors of all sorts, eschew clothes or cover up less (think coliseum top and bottom) on occasion in this setting?

Seeing a hygur in the camisole top and bottom as part of her "armor" ensemble is perfectly normal to me and should be a pretty common sight. After all even hygur have tribes and the look seems pretty appropriate to the setting.

The same holds true for a miqote in any revealing combination. That includes the male in the coliseum top and bottom. Seems to me very appropriate, fits the setting, and shouldn't be a rare sight.

I'm starting to associate the comment; "Hey that's revealing clothes!" with breaking the 4th wall.

Now, keep in mind we're in final fantasy land, not modern everyday downtown LA. I look forward to your opinions on this! Smile

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Berrod Armstrong - 10-10-2014

I always give players the grace of assuming that their character has that specific sensibility -- particularly since I have Berrod strut around in barely anything on his torso a lot. I never really bother to insinuate or assume that they're breaking the fourth wall -- I just take it as an opportunity for my character to speak up and proudly declare why he walks around trying to poke people's eyes out. 

If a player pokes me about it out of character however...then I kindly direct them to the guys outside the coliseum, the Forgotten Springs, Little Ala Mhigo and several places in La Noscea. If they continue to take issue, I kindly express my condolences for them picking the wroooong game to play with that hangup.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Warren Castille - 10-10-2014

Quote:It's the same as if I visited Africa, New Guinea, or the Australian outback and started going; "Oh the horror! You people aren't wearing clothes! She needs to put a shirt on!"

But the reverse is happening. Native tribals with affected accents aren't in the cities normally. To my knowledge, aside from the dancer NPCs, everyone in Ul'dah is pretty sensibly dressed. Showing up in your underwear is going to get looks in any city, regardless of how appropriate it might seem to you.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - K'nahli - 10-10-2014

I think it's perfectly reasonable and I don't see why there should be so much fuss. Ul'dah is a hot country and I'm sure they see plenty of Ala Mhigan refugees who barely wear anything anyways, why should some skin be taboo?

Plus, it's the home of the coliseum where near-naked participants can be found, even as NPCs outside. I'm sure people aren't that unused to coming across it though PERHAPS in places like the Quicksand or anywhere indoors it may be a bit more stand out-ish... *shrugs*

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Kinono - 10-10-2014

Well, the coliseum set is the exception, as has been pointed out by the devs lore team. Most people would not be explicitly expected to wear the coliseum sets to battle unless they were, in-fact, fighting in the arenas.

Personally, it would depend on the particular character. Kinono's spent a lot of time with miqo'te tribes, and around the dancers of Ul'dah besides, so she probably wouldn't find it odd at all. If the character was raised in or primarily lives a setting where it makes sense for them to more covered, then they would very well be taken aback by the lack of clothes. There's always current context to consider as well! I'd wager modesty is more common in Gridania or Coerthas than it is in Limsa or Ul'dah, for example. The heat of thanalan would make less clothes much more likely than someone running around in a subligar outside of Camp Dragonhead.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - K'nahli - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 10:19 AM)Kinono Wrote: I'd wager modesty is more common in Gridania or Coerthas than it is in Limsa or Ul'dah, for example. The heat of thanalan would make less clothes much more likely than someone running around in a subligar outside of Camp Dragonhead.

Absolutely this, though I had assumed this was an idea restricted to Thanalan though since you were a tribal miqo'te, OP. I would totally expect odd looks from anywhere else.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Warren Castille - 10-10-2014

Worth noting: You don't wear less in a desert, you wear loose, light-colored clothing and you cover yourself with it. Unless you're trying to burn and give yourself heat stroke, anyway.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Geneticdork - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 10:23 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Worth noting: You don't wear less in a desert, you wear loose, light-colored clothing and you cover yourself with it. Unless you're trying to burn and give yourself heat stroke, anyway.

This. All of this.

Example Below, though not sure if best example. Found on Google.
Show Content

But hey, if anyone -wants- to wear revealing clothes, then they should feel free to go ahead and do that.

However, everyone else IC also has the right to judge them based on their own idea of what is acceptable or not, for whatever reasons they may have.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Blue - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 10:23 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Worth noting: You don't wear less in a desert, you wear loose, light-colored clothing and you cover yourself with it. Unless you're trying to burn and give yourself heat stroke, anyway.
^ That.

Plus, at night desert areas actually get cold. Ideally, if you want an idea of what will make you stand out or not, you should take a look at the majority of the NPCs where you want to RP, and not just at some NPCs in certain spots of the map.

The game also gave a sign of growing sense of decency when SE changed the look of prostitutes from 1.0 (where they were in underwear at most) to A Realm Reborn (Where they wear dresses, though there are small exceptions such as the one in Costa del Sol. But then again, that's Costa del Sol).

Also, the lv1 hempen camise/underpants is underwear. To go around just with that on may raise questions.. at least from most of my characters it would.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Kinono - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 10:33 AM)Blue Wrote: Also, the lv1 hempen camise/underpants is underwear. To go around just with that on may raise questions.. at least from most of my characters it would.

Those are totally decent pajamas and I won't have have anyone tell me otherwise!

*tantrum*

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Aya - 10-10-2014

I suspect that seeing a tribal Miqo'te wearing tribal garb around Ul'dah is about as shocking as seeing someone in tribal garb in a modern city.  That doesn't mean it "shouldn't happen", but it does mean that it may raise eyebrows!

Not that anyone should have an OOC problem with that, but as most things, if you're doing something in-character, you can expect other characters to have their own judgements about it, even if you don't like them Smile

Disclaimer: Aya wears desert inappropriate outfits almost every day! Its one of the reasons she doesn't like to venture outside of the city and into Thanalan.

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Yangh - 10-10-2014

This!

Yangh is mostly commonly seen wearing her traditional Priestess Linh clan attire manly because... she's a priestess! When she visits the Sagolii she dresses for the occasion, including something to wear on her head and clothes that both breath and cover all of her exposed skin as much as possible.

Now, ICly, Yangh fully expects those types of comments, she been receiving such comments about almost every aspect of her culture that doesn't fit into the city life setting (Which is a lot!), i think its less of an OOC bleed and more of a oddity that natives of Ul'dah seem to like pointing out xD

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Blue - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 10:44 AM)Kinono Wrote:
(10-10-2014, 10:33 AM)Blue Wrote: Also, the lv1 hempen camise/underpants is underwear. To go around just with that on may raise questions.. at least from most of my characters it would.

Those are totally decent pajamas and I won't have have anyone tell me otherwise!

*tantrum*
Exactly, that's what I use them for, pajamas. To go out in the streets like that is to me a little off ICly. My characters would stay in that set out of home only if they were in very isolated places and the situation called for it (such as taking shirt off to use as an emergency bandage).

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - CrookedTarot - 10-10-2014

Guis.

It's Final Fantasy.

FANTASY.

Let me enjoy my deviant FANTASIES and in peace.

If I want to leave my character 'AFK' in front of the Collisseum (odd how it keeps happening there) then I will do so dammit!

RE: Half naked! Oh no!! - Mae - 10-10-2014

(10-10-2014, 10:02 AM)Michelleswain Wrote: It's the same as if I visited Africa, New Guinea, or the Australian outback and started going; "Oh the horror! You people aren't wearing clothes! She needs to put a shirt on!"
Actually... historically in the real world, this did happen when explorers/conquerors/missionaries encountered tribal people. Doesn't happen these days, but a few centuries back, 'civilized' wear was often pressed upon tribals because they were 'indecent'.

(10-10-2014, 10:02 AM)Michelleswain Wrote: Isn't it common that some warriors of all sorts, eschew clothes or cover up less (think coliseum top and bottom) on occasion in this setting?

Seeing a hygur in the camisole top and bottom as part of her "armor" ensemble is perfectly normal to me and should be a pretty common sight. After all even hygur have tribes and the look seems pretty appropriate to the setting.

The same holds true for a miqote in any revealing combination. That includes the male in the coliseum top and bottom. Seems to me very appropriate, fits the setting, and shouldn't be a rare sight.

I'm starting to associate the comment; "Hey that's revealing clothes!" with breaking the 4th wall.
In the context of the setting... I have to disagree. Yes, the battle bikini and battle banana hammock have a proud tradition in fantasy games, but they're a combination of "Fan Service" and "There Was A Perv On The Design Team". Which is more 4th wall breaking to me.

Fantasy or not, the only time having less-to-no-clothes be practical in a fight is if you're bare-handed and wrestling someone who is also bare-handed, or sporting (see: coliseum fighting). If you're going into battle, you want to have more covering you; no serious archer is going to pass up shooting at a completely exposed belly, no matter how perfectly shaped or toned it is, to shoot at obviously-armored bouncing/dangling parts.

Further context would be how most of the NPCs dress. Most are fairly well covered, even in Ul'dah and Thanalan (again echoing that you want covering clothes in the desert). Coliseum fighters and the refugees have less clothing, sure, but the former is more of a case of showmanship and the latter is because... well... they can't afford much.