Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character History Question - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character History Question (/showthread.php?tid=8673)

Character History Question - Khona'li Moshroca - 10-16-2014

MINOR SPOILER ALERT!!  (I think)

So I'm working up a backstory for my character.  But I'm having a hard time finding a comprehensive lore listing.  I thought I saw one on the site, but now I can't seem to find it.  I had a friend on my starting server (I started on Ultros because that's where the friend that referred me was at, but I want RP, gorrammit!) say - and I don't know if he was joking or serious - that the player characters are the missing Heroes of Light, cast out of time and their memories by the Cataclysm.  I just want to find something that confirms or denies that, so I can finish working out Khona's backstory in my head.  Any help would be appreciated?

RE: Character History Question - FreelanceWizard - 10-16-2014

That's... sorta accurate. Smile

Without going into all of the details, what happened was that those adventurers who fought at the Battle of Carteneau were time-skipped 5 years ahead by a big "spell;" this is what you see in the ARR trailer off the game's start screen. What you subsequently find out in main scenario quest (MSQ) is that (mostly) everyone's memories of these people are degraded; no one can seem to remember who these particular adventurers were, with their memories of them reduced to basically just shadows washed out by a blinding light. That's where the term "Warriors of Light" comes from. Not all PCs need to have this background, though it is an option for a character. In terms of a reference for this, it comes up in the MSQ around level 15ish (when you travel to each city to do the three intro dungeons) and again in the 20s (when you attend the remembrance ceremonies).

Now, things get a bit more complex with the term "Warrior of Light" when you get into the end of the 2.0 MSQ and the subsequent versions. As the plot progresses, the term becomes rather ill-defined, and there's some threads around the RPC that discuss what it's come to mean as of 2.3's MSQ.

RE: Character History Question - Khona'li Moshroca - 10-16-2014

Awesome!  Okay, so he wasn't just yanking my chain.  And that means the story I had in mind for my character will still work out rather well.  Thank you again for the help!

RE: Character History Question - Miqo'te Senpai - 10-16-2014

Yeah, the PC in the storyline is a Warrior of Light.  It's kind of a nod to the Legacy players with characters from 1.0 and they get special tattoos marking them.

[youtube]TXc0loyuq9I[/youtube]
(edit because it turned my entire link into an embedded video and I'm not sure how to fix it.  But skip to 17 mins and 35 secs for the WoL part)

I recommend watching the whole video since it's a nice bit a lore.

Basically, at the Battle of Carteneau everything was going terribly, terribly wrong when Bahamut broke free from Dalamund.  With the power of everyone's combined prayers, Louisoix Leveilleur channels the power of Althyk, God of space and time, and sends the heroes on the battlefield into a time rift "where they are to remain untouched by the passing of the seasons until it is once again safe to emerge and continue their struggle to forge Eorzea's future."  Aka, the characters are preserved until the devs finished 2.0 and re-released the game.

You don't have to be a Warrior of Light and not every character is a Warrior of Light, but that's definitely an option.

RE: Character History Question - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-16-2014

I'll leave this thread here. It's got a lot of discussion on the topic.
http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=8388

TLDR version:
There are a lot of grey areas and things that people will prolly not 100% agree on.

There are also two different "Warrior of Light" definitions:
1) 1.0 players that completed the main scenerio + fought in cartenau (forgotten)
2) 2.0 players that completed the main scenerio