Hydaelyn Role-Players
Hi! And Help Welcome - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: RPC (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Welcome Desk (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hi! And Help Welcome (/showthread.php?tid=8800)

Hi! And Help Welcome - Mairead - 10-28-2014

Hi! So I hope it's ok I stole borrowed this template because I liked it. The first thing to say is that I'm really new to the game (and Final Fantasy in general though it seems really cool). So basically, I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing yet though I'm trying really hard to read and learn stuff. Hopefully I picked an idea for a character that will actually let me have a good IC excuse for being pretty clueless about pretty much everything for now and help give some avenues for learning during RP itself.

I could use some help and advice for some parts of my story. If you have any ideas that would be extremely awesome!

Name: Mairead Winterblue
Race: Hyur (midlander)
Eyes: Light green
Hair: Light red with some subtle blonde highlights
Marital: Single
Occupation: None yet. I plan for her to eventually become a white mage and also get into a some trade skills that fit her well.

Personality:
Mairead is a huge introvert. She is quiet and very soft spoken. When she is comfortable she can be very silly and sometimes even a little snarky in her quiet sort of way. With new people or even those she doesn't know well she can be very shy to approach them but is mostly capable of carrying on a conversation so long as the other person makes the first move.

Aside from the shyness, which she wishes she could overcome better, she is generally happy with the way she is and never really wished she was a more outgoing person. She is caring and generous to a fault. She would give someone the shirt off her own back without a second thought, but that combined with her trusting (gullible) nature, innocence, and lack of life experience makes her extremely easy to take advantage of.

Strengths:
Loyal, Generous, Very intelligent, Quick learner, Passion and aptitude for healing

Weaknesses:
Shy, Naive, Inexperienced, Overly trusting, A little clumsy

Physical Features:
Mairead has a rather delicate appearance with red hair, green eyes, light skin, and freckles. She doesn't appear to have seen much hard labor but does not have any sort of noble or royal appearance either. She generally has a very modest and simple style giving the feel of someone of lower class. She has no scars, tattoos, or piercings aside form her ears.

Family:
All of her immediate family is alive and well, along with her extended family too for the most part.
Father: Pard
Mother: Sarah
Siblings: Youngest child with two older brothers Connor and Wren

Her Story:
So I have a very general idea of a story but I don't have the specifics figured out yet. A lot of that is because I don't feel like I know enough yet so I was hoping to maybe get a little bit of help. This is sort of the basic idea.

Mairead was born and raised on her family's farm in some rural place. I'm picturing a really sleepy little farming hamlet, the kind you would completely miss if you blinked as you traveled by. Also, it would be a place as untouched as reasonably possible by all of the recent stuff going on. I could really use some help figuring out where it makes sense for this place to be and maybe what it would be called.

As the youngest and the only girl Mairead was perhaps a little bit babied compared to her older brothers. She mostly got away with not doing the harder farm work in order to focus on other things. She learned the basics of cooking and mending clothes from her mother, and fell in love with the idea of learning how to heal or treat sickness and injury. She would always volunteer to help the local healers in any way she could even if it was mostly running errands or doing unskilled tasks.

Her family and the people around the village noticed as she grew up that Mairead was pretty smart. With her strong desire to learn how to heal and help others her family decided it would be best to send her off to the big city for a while to learn all the things that she could not in the tiny village. In her mind, and everyone else's, once she learned what she needed to know she would return home and share all of her wonderful fancy new learning with the village and maybe spend the rest of her life tending fevers and mending sprains.

Amount of RP:
Medium to heavy. I'm sort of new at it though so as much as I can manage. I will probably just do a lot of listening in for a while which fits perfectly for someone who is quiet and introverted.

Views on RP combat and injuries:
Ok to a point, I definitely don't want her getting killed or too seriously hurt right now. Mairead is not at all violent, or likely to provoke violence so I see it hardly ever coming up. At most it would probably be more like RP running away!

Views on IC romance:
I'm totally fine with it if it should happen.

Views on lore:
There is a lot and its kind of overwhelming!! I want to follow it as close as I can and I'm trying my best to learn. Since I have a character with an excuse to be pretty clueless for a while I feel like it should be fine to just not know things until they are learned (hopefully through RP with others).

RE: Hi! And Help Welcome - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-28-2014

Hi and welcome to the RPC!

Things can be a little daunting while getting started, but I think you'll enjoy your time here.

One thing to note would be whether you're RPing as "regular" person (like say, an NPC-level of abilties) or as the main character in the game. (You'll see why this would matter as you play, but we can sum it up as being related to the White Mage job being a very restrictive title).

You'll probably find that the "Making Connections" board is great for finding contacts, as well as finding the IC-forum-RP section over in the "Town Square"!

If you've got any questions, need help with any of the gameplay, or are looking for someone to RP with, feel free to poke me anytime here, or in-game under Franz Renatus. I promise I don't bite. Smile

*cough* And gingers will rule Eorzea *cough*

RE: Hi! And Help Welcome - Warren Castille - 10-28-2014

Hm. Regarding location, I could see a fertile little corner of La Noscea being sequestered away out of the typical trade routes and experiencing less of the big problems than the more developed thoroughfares. This leads to a few small potential hurdles, though.

Healing in La Noscea is a recent advent with the Arcanists' guild appearing in recent years, and even then that's not really in tune with the conjury method of healing you'd be pursuing to branch into White Magic. As Franz mentioned, White Magic (called Succor) brings a lot of red tape with using it, but we can torch that bridge when you get to it.

The Conjurer's Guild is located in Gridania. It's a long way from a sleepy little hamlet that raises some crops and livestock, and being the baby of the family it would be interesting to see how a sheltered person would adapt to being on their own across the world. Gridania's nice; It's peaceful, the music is pleasant, and it's laidback. It's also very, very cramped seeing as how it's in a forest suddenly. How would someone used to open-air and the sound of the sea react to constant shade and the music of crickets and birds and what have you of the Black Shroud?

There's a LOT of potential RP here for someone just beginning to learn their character, and it'll be interesting to see what you make of it. Keep in mind there's no shame in playing a CLASS instead of a JOB, and if healing and helping others is what your character is after, Conjurer covers that nicely.

RE: Hi! And Help Welcome - Mairead - 10-28-2014

Thank you and hi-5 gingers!

I haven't gotten very far through the actual game yet so I'm not sure what happens in the main story. I have been trying to avoid stuff that would give that away as I read a lot of other things. I'm not sure how it will limit what I want to do, if at all.

How do people usually relate the game's story to their character? I mean I'm sure it tells you a lot about how the world works so it would influence what you do, but at the same time I'm guessing it can't be used too literally. I mean if it was then you would have everyone who all had the exact same experiences. I don't know yet though.

I guess my idea is to sort of start as someone who seems generally pretty normal but with a lot of potential (and maybe some unexplained stuff going on), and then eventually grow into the level of abilities that other players have.

Would that work?

(10-28-2014, 02:51 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Hm. Regarding location, I could see a fertile little corner of La Noscea being sequestered away out of the typical trade routes and experiencing less of the big problems than the more developed thoroughfares. This leads to a few small potential hurdles, though.

Healing in La Noscea is a recent advent with the Arcanists' guild appearing in recent years, and even then that's not really in tune with the conjury method of healing you'd be pursuing to branch into White Magic. As Franz mentioned, White Magic (called Succor) brings a lot of red tape with using it, but we can torch that bridge when you get to it.

The Conjurer's Guild is located in Gridania. It's a long way from a sleepy little hamlet that raises some crops and livestock, and being the baby of the family it would be interesting to see how a sheltered person would adapt to being on their own across the world. Gridania's nice; It's peaceful, the music is pleasant, and it's laidback. It's also very, very cramped seeing as how it's in a forest suddenly. How would someone used to open-air and the sound of the sea react to constant shade and the music of crickets and birds and what have you of the Black Shroud?

There's a LOT of potential RP here for someone just beginning to learn their character, and it'll be interesting to see what you make of it. Keep in mind there's no shame in playing a CLASS instead of a JOB, and if healing and helping others is what your character is after, Conjurer covers that nicely.

Ok. I started in Gridania as a conjurer and I really love it there! I'd much rather have a place of origin that's closer to that if possible. I wonder if there is a way to adapt things to make that work, or at least some reasonable excuse to have gone all the way over there from home. Maybe because I heard that's the place to be for healing type stuff?

To answer your question, yes. Now, to comment on the main story without spoilering anything.

The "issue" with the main story is that it makes it very, very clear that you're The Hero. Everyone is eventually going to recognize you as such. As far as MMOs go it's pretty interesting; There's no Wunderkind NPC to look up to. You're the wunderkind the NPCs look up to. This leads to an obvious problem when interacting with folks in the world.

A lot of roleplayers acknowledge the events of the main story without placing themselves there. Hearing about such-and-such happening in Limsa Lominsa isn't the same as having been the catalyst for it. There's also a fair few of us who found roles and just latched onto them. This board is full of folks playing what I like to think of as Heroic Mortals; The sorts of every day folks who never got the Call to Greatness but are on stand-by. There's a good number of outright-heroes, too - The sorts of folks who ARE above and beyond what a normal person would be capable of.

There's nothing wrong with having untapped power as long as you don't write yourself into being the Chosen Vessel of All That Is Healing. There's nothing wrong with having a knack for new skills, either; "Aether" is Eorzea's catch-all magic plot device. It's possible your farm girl just so happened to be naturally bountiful with it and once she starts training she excels quickly.

Ultimately, you'll find people playing at whatever "Power Level" you ascribe to, so don't worry too much about that.

(10-28-2014, 03:07 PM)Mairead Wrote: Ok. I started in Gridania as a conjurer and I really love it there! I'd much rather have a place of origin that's closer to that if possible. I wonder if there is a way to adapt things to make that work, or at least some reasonable excuse to have gone all the way over there from home. Maybe because I heard that's the place to be for healing type stuff?

The Shroud is a big place. I was just spitballing an idea with La Noscea, so it's perfectly reasonable to just be from a smallish community off out of the way somewhere near the borderlands or something similar. Really, nobody here is going to give you flak for much of anything, and the details don't matter so much as how they impact you. Coming from a small homestead elsewhere is the important bit, not the coordinates of it. It's alright to fluff the backstory a bit and leave it unlaid until you need it.

If you want an easy hook, you could always just make up a motivation. Maybe when she was little one of the aldgoats kicked her older brother too hard and one of the passing-by travelers helped heal him. An out of the way place would rely more on traditional cure-alls to those sorts of maladies, in my opinion, so there would have been likely a potion regimen to help heal broken bones and nurse away pain. Maybe seeing a stranger garbed in strange robes and smelling like rich earth made an impact on her when she was such a little girl. A wave of his hand, a warm green glow and bam, everything's fixed. She digs and digs and finds out the conjurer came from Gridania and was seeing the world, just so happened to stop by.

Gives you 1) a reason to pursue the class, 2) a hook into going to Grid from where ever you choose your home to be and 3) some casual potential NPC/PC contacts in the quasi-mentor that accidentally set her on that road.

Thank you, that all makes a lot of sense! Smile

I did a little bit of peeking about white mages without spoiling things too much so I think I understand what you both are getting at.

Since I have a good idea where I'm starting from, I think my plan will be to just start from these humble beginnings and be open minded, see where the ride takes me in the future.