Hydaelyn Role-Players
Vana'diel/Eorzea - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Vana'diel/Eorzea (/showthread.php?tid=888)

Pages: 1 2

Vana'diel/Eorzea - Ghunzyr - 11-21-2010

This is an idea I used to hear tossed around in some pre-release FFXIV discussions, less so now. Thought it could generate some interesting discussion here.

Given the similarities between the two worlds, could Vana'diel and Eorzea actually be the same world? Perhaps the known world in FFXI was just separate continents from the known world in FFXIV. Of course that means the world would have to be MUCH larger than anyone ever thought, but still, with the similarities in races, it could be possible.

The difference in world names (Vana'diel vs Eorzea), and racial norms could be explained by a simple difference in world cultures. Differences between races (most notably to me being Galka and Roegadyn) could be the results of evolution/environmental adaptations. I believe the lore behind the Miqo'te is they came to this land ages ago from some distant place across the ocean; back then there was some kind of land bridge which is now part of the ocean floor. That doesn't sound so different to me from the theory of how humans got to North America across the Bering sea.

So what do people think? Same world different hemispheres?

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Blade - 11-21-2010

I believe that SE has stated that 'officially,' the worlds are entirely separated. The races looking similar with similar backgrounds was apparently only done to be friendly to those XI players going to XIV.

... this is not to say, however, that this will stay this way. In fact I think it is very possible that the two may be linked, although perhaps it is not the same world but an alternate timeline/dimension. Adventurers of Vana'diel are well versed in multiple dimensions... dynamis, promyvions, the new "parallel" world to Vana'diel, Abyssea, and also time travel and a whole separate timeline. To consider the possibility that there is yet another world, would not be too far fetched in XI's terms (we have yet to see multiple dimensions in Eorzea).

I am definitely curious about something shantotto says though in XI, after she travels and visits "another world very similar to Vana'diel." People have suggested it to explain her appearance in Dissidia, but I think it could also explain Abyssea, and a possible link to Eorzea if one is there. Time will tell.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Ghunzyr - 11-21-2010

So they may be different worlds, but just ran across another thing that supports the idea that Eorzea is not all there is out there. The Hyur racial description says they came to Eorzea from the surrounding lands. That seems to suggest that Eorzea is not the world at all, merely the continent we currently dwell on.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Dralid - 11-21-2010

I think it's more a scheme for SE for upcoming expensions. They pulled that quite a bit in FFXI like for RoZ and ToA. It leave a bit of room for creativity.

Whatever the both world are indeed related, very hard to know.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Ghunzyr - 11-21-2010

OK, so then, does the world have a name?

Actually, now that I think of it, I can't recall any planet in any of the final fantasy games having a name. I suppose FFXIV is just maintaining that legacy.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Merri - 11-22-2010

You mean Hydaelyn?

Hydaelyn is the name of the world. Aldenard and it's surrounding islands is the continent on which Eorzea is located.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Ghunzyr - 11-22-2010

Rain Wrote:You mean Hydaelyn?

Hydaelyn is the name of the world. Aldenard and it's surrounding islands is the continent on which Eorzea is located.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - DAISHI - 11-24-2010

I already RP as having come from Vanadiel. So yeah.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Don Miqot'e - 11-26-2010

There was a interesting rumor that you guys might be interested in Smile

I heard from a freind that there seemed to be plans to make FF 14 accessible from the Mog House in Vanadiel, as a way to sorta connect the two games. However, I believe the idea was scrapped due to it being a technical nightmare, as well as the attempt to make Eorzea and its surrounding world much more unique.

So if they weren't just pulling my leg, (which is likely, im gullible >.>) it would be a example of how SE tried to connect the worlds, and later chose not to. Still the similarities are quite strong, we still have no Manthra/Manqot'e, the Lalafell are still short (though I do not know if they still speak in rhymes), and overall it seems that much of the original culture are the same, (though more diverse, as we now have subdivisions of races)

A bit off topic, but is anyone else noticing that Galka/Roaderyn and Miqot'e are getting much bigger roles than they did in Vanadiel? I remember that you could do Windurst's entire storyline, and only meet a few Mithra that had ANY significant importance on the story. Same goes for our Galka fellows. (I think even getting your jobs was almost entirely focused on Elven and Hume. Galka ones I know off the top of my head was the one for Puppeteer and Dark Knight, and the one for Ranger was mithra)

Just a observation I had to note when I seen there was a main Miqot'e NPC for both the Ul'dah and Limsa storyline.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - DAISHI - 11-26-2010

Don Miqot'e Wrote:There was a interesting rumor that you guys might be interested in Smile

I heard from a freind that there seemed to be plans to make FF 14 accessible from the Mog House in Vanadiel, as a way to sorta connect the two games. However, I believe the idea was scrapped due to it being a technical nightmare, as well as the attempt to make Eorzea and its surrounding world much more unique.

So if they weren't just pulling my leg, (which is likely, im gullible >.>) it would be a example of how SE tried to connect the worlds, and later chose not to. Still the similarities are quite strong, we still have no Manthra/Manqot'e, the Lalafell are still short (though I do not know if they still speak in rhymes), and overall it seems that much of the original culture are the same, (though more diverse, as we now have subdivisions of races)

A bit off topic, but is anyone else noticing that Galka/Roaderyn and Miqot'e are getting much bigger roles than they did in Vanadiel? I remember that you could do Windurst's entire storyline, and only meet a few Mithra that had ANY significant importance on the story. Same goes for our Galka fellows. (I think even getting your jobs was almost entirely focused on Elven and Hume. Galka ones I know off the top of my head was the one for Puppeteer and Dark Knight, and the one for Ranger was mithra)

Just a observation I had to note when I seen there was a main Miqot'e NPC for both the Ul'dah and Limsa storyline.

Had to be pulling your leg. Moving from FFXI to FFXIV would mean a total swap of graphics, facial characteristics, armor equipment (Musketeer armor in FFXIV?), etc etc.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Don Miqot'e - 11-27-2010

Yeah of course! haha, see told ya I was gullible. Though I think it would have worked like "Insert FF 14 disc" and just lead you to that page, but you can access it from the Mog House as sorta a "added bonus" perhaps? Still, the rumors merit only goes as far as what someone heard from someone else, so no dwelling on it.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Sterne - 12-10-2010

Ghunzyr Wrote:So they may be different worlds, but just ran across another thing that supports the idea that Eorzea is not all there is out there. The Hyur racial description says they came to Eorzea from the surrounding lands. That seems to suggest that Eorzea is not the world at all, merely the continent we currently dwell on.

This is actually the basis of Sterne's back-story. Since I never played XI it was kind of hard for me to really find roots there, though that would have been brilliant. I had to make up another continent and say that he traveled from there and blah blah.

Wouldn't it be something though if across the ocean was Vanadiel. And wouldn't it be something if the XI story-arc ended with an invasion of the Garlean empire that spawned the rush of adventurers to Eorzea.

Even the alternate dimension thing is incredible to imagine. I hope with the "frequent" updates that will be piping through, we'll get more story quicker.

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Dakki - 12-10-2010

Hmm.. SE have said they're not connected, but I'm staying in my little fantasy world of: FFXIV is the near futures (Maybe 500 years?) of FFXI. Smile

It makes sense, and it'd be nice if this were the case. Alternatively, FFXIV could be a world before FFXI, but I'd rather think not. Smile

(Ofcourse, what I've just said is totally personal preference, and shall not be RPing it that way if SE have already announced they're not connected. eg. "Eh, did you hear that the Miqo'te used to be one united race? Weird, I know..")

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - Blade - 12-11-2010

Well, the thing is they specifically didn't want this to be an FFXI sequel... I really actually hate for them to backtrack and change that at some point. I really do love XI, with all of its lore and the adventures there (and I do play it and enjoy it more than XIV to this day), but despite that I really want the entities to stay separate. Mainly just there is so much different lore here that I want to see that expanded on in the future. The other thing is that while XI hasn't really shown all the lore there is to be had in the game (there are other continents in the world of Vana'diel that we don't have access to, but they are all named), I don't think placing Eorzea in Vana'diel would be the wisest of ideas because then you have to conform XIV's lore to XI to make sure the two stay consistent, and with how in-depth XI went into on things, it would end up drastically influencing XIV's story as well.

But a cross-dimensional thing would be very interesting, as XIV could keep it's lore, and yet, still be able to visit Vana'diel someday. An expansion to XIV where adventurers could visit Vana'diel would be very interesting indeed. Galka tails would return!

Re: Vana'diel/Eorzea - DAISHI - 12-11-2010

I've said plenty that my story has Vana'diel and Eorzea bridging each other. I like it like that.