Hydaelyn Role-Players
An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV News (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans (/showthread.php?tid=902)

An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Ravirr - 12-10-2010

Via Lodestone - http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=c499e4c5df4f3f0fde1fb47a28574cb9c3991c9f

Quote:Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company’s top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group’s most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

We realize time is of the essence and are fully determined to provide our customers with quality service. It is because of this that we ask our customers to be patient until we are able to confidently present them with a concrete plan outlining FINAL FANTASY XIV’s new direction. The free trial period will be extended until that time.

Regarding the PlayStation 3, it is not our wish to release a simple conversion of the Windows version in its current state, but rather an update that includes all the improvements we have planned. For that reason, we have made the difficult decision to delay the release of the PlayStation 3 version beyond the originally announced date of March 2011.

The FINAL FANTASY XIV team is working hard to bring our customers an unparalleled adventure, and we ask for your continued understanding and support as we march ever diligently towards that goal.

President and CEO, Yoichi Wada

The development and management teams would like to make an announcement regarding personnel changes.

[Organizational Changes to the Development Team]
To improve the service of FINAL FANTASY XIV, Square Enix has made the following changes to the development team:

Managerial Changes

Producer/Director
Naoki Yoshida

Section Leader Changes

Assistant Director
Shintaro Tamai (FINAL FANTASY X, Front Mission 5: Scars of the War)

Lead Game Designer
Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, FINAL FANTASY XI)

Lead Combat System Designer
Akihiko Matsui (FINAL FANTASY XI)

Technical Advisor
Yoshihisa Hashimoto (Next Generation Game Engine Development)

Lead Programmer
Hideyuki Kasuga (FINAL FANTASY XI, DIRGE OF CERBERUS -FINAL FANTASY VII-)

Senior Concept Artist
Akihiko Yoshida (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

Lead Artist
Hiroshi Takai (FINAL FANTASY XI, THE LAST REMNANT)

Lead UI Designer/Lead Web Designer
Hiroshi Minagawa (FINAL FANTASY XII, Vagrant Story)

These members will make up the development team’s new core-a core dedicated to ensuring we achieve a level of enjoyability that will more than satisfy our customers. Under a schedule of more frequent version updates, the new leaders and their respective sections will strive for continued improvements to FINAL FANTASY XIV service operation and development.

[Extension of the Free Trial Period]
As stated above, the newly restructured team’s top priority is to bring about improvements to the game’s enjoyability, and therefore we have decided to extend the free trial period until we can provide a plan that outlines a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers. When we are confident that we have reached that goal, we will notify our customers immediately.

[Future Version Updates]
At present, the development team is putting the finishing touches on the previously announced version update, which is still slated for release in mid-December. In addition, there is one more version update scheduled for release before year’s end. Details on the content and dates of these updates will be released in the near future.

[Delay of the PlayStation 3 Version Release]
Although the release date for the PlayStation 3 version of the game was previously announced as late March of 2011, we regret to inform that this date has been changed.

The PlayStation 3 release will be delayed until we are confident that the game has reached the level of enjoyability and service befitting the FINAL FANTASY name for users on all supported platforms. We offer our sincerest apologies to any fans anticipating the PlayStation 3 release, and humbly ask for your continued patience and understanding as both the development team and Square Enix as a whole strive towards making FINAL FANTASY XIV a truly enjoyable and unforgettable adventure.

[New Development Team Policy]
I would like to take this opportunity to greet all of you—those currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV, those who have taken a respite from playing, and those awaiting the PlayStation 3 release—and offer a brief word by way of an introduction.

No doubt there are very few, if any, among you who have ever heard the name Naoki Yoshida. To be sure, I have never been in the fore on any of the titles I have worked on in the past. I am, however, honored and privileged to work alongside many talented and inspiring colleagues, and with their support have enjoyed making games for a number of years. I am aware that a great many people will think the responsibility of leading FINAL FANTASY XIV is far too large a task for someone so unknown. After all, even my very best may seem no more than a drop in the bucket when considering the sheer scope of FINAL FANTASY XIV. But working together with me are the very talented and very capable development and management teams, whose dedication and motivation are unwavering. I would like to ask you to please put to rest uncertainties that you may have.

Now, more than ever, myself, the development team, and Square Enix as a whole, are committed to furthering our efforts to provide a quality service.

Everything we do will be for our players and customers.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Producer/Director, Naoki Yoshida

First of all, I would like to apologize for our inability to fully satisfy our users with the initial release of FINAL FANTASY XIV. I take full responsibility for the game’s current situation, and have therefore made the decision to step down from my role as producer. A number of concerns that have been voiced by users, such as the design of the user interface, availability of tutorials and game content, and battle system functionality, represent key issues that must be addressed. While improvements are already well underway in many areas, we were unfortunately not able to incorporate player feedback as quickly as we would have liked. We are aware, however, that in many cases, addressing these issues will call for a reworking of game elements. As these changes are our first priority, they will be commanding our full attention and efforts. It is to that end that we have put a new organizational structure into place for the development team. Under this new system, FINAL FANTASY XIV will see changes and additions in line with the desires and expectations of players. Though no longer producer, I will be continuing to support the development team in other capacities, and personally hope that you will continue your adventures in the realm of Eorzea.

Hiromichi Tanaka

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - DAISHI - 12-10-2010

And the 20,000 people still playing rejoiced!

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Nikolai - 12-10-2010

An indefinite extension of the free trial, huh? ... I can get behind this.

I would pay handsomely for some official population numbers right about now.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Sterne - 12-10-2010

I am excited and yet terrified at the same time of this change.

Holy crap - Square fired everyone. (Not literally, but essentially)

This could be good or bad. As I have been working with management in one of New York City's biggest companies, I have had the unfortunate pleasure of being dropped into a project already in progress. It's not fun, and it's stressful (most of the time). Hopefully, the people they've chosen have enough experience to be able to step in and catch up on a lot of the work that was missed or just be able to absorb the work that's already been done. If not, then progress may move even slower! (at least in the beginning)

But, I still have faith in Square Enix. I'm sure that the new fresh look at things will incur some great mother flipping changes :D

I'm gonna go shut my brain off now before it implodes.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Ghunzyr - 12-10-2010

My jaw dropped when I read through this announcement. Looks like the shite hit the fan at SquareEnix. Wonder what the heck will happen to the game now. I feel a bit like our current "extended beta test" has almost become an extended alpha test. A new team might bring a whole new game by the time they "fix" everything.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - foxfirestorm - 12-10-2010

Yeah, the change over of people had me dropping my jaw going, "Holy D@mn." when I read the email in my inbox and in away, though I am still glad to see them trying..
This utterly worries me now.

I have been in a game that has changed hands 4 times, one of those hands about destroyed the game and its image. I know SE is doing whatever they can to save the game, they will try to at least, but what attracts me to the game is its difference in play style and outlook on the MMORPG field. That it isn't another WoW clone and its something different.
So, if these guys change up the game to much, I probably will leave, and I will be one of those odd minorities that will leave because I dislike where they lead the game.

But as always, majority speaks.

My biggest concern when I start seeing this is though--
Is that they may suddenly decide to just shut down the game. For good.
That is what scares me and that is what worries me.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Kylin - 12-10-2010

This is definitely big news. I do feel for Tanaka though since I don’t think any of this is totally his fault. Release dates and timelines tend to be set by the higher powers that be, not necessarily developers. So it’s not totally his fault that it was released way too soon.

The new blood will be nice though. They’ll probably feel the need to prove themselves and push themselves that much harder. PS3 pushback sucks, but it’s probably for the best. And I certainly won’t put up any arms to even more free play, so long as the game doesn’t switch FTP permanently. That’s when I’ll walk away, since there’s no way we’ll get any good future updates at the point.

The last big update was a huge success though in my opinion. I personally don’t think they need to work TOO much more on the UI interface or anything, save minor tweaks in some areas and maybe an overhaul of the linkshell member management system and the party system (and of course the ward system, though the upcoming search feature should make it operate similar/identical to an auction house anyway). The main issue is content. A lot of basic features have already been promised (mail system and /search system in March, etc).

Guild leves are fine as is, but there shouldn’t be such a huge dependence on them. Currently, all you can do is log in, do your daily leves within about 30 minutes or so, and that’s about it (aside from crafting). Thankfully, we have RP to keep us busy when needed but the rest of the community doesn’t utilize that luxury.

Notorious monsters will be a nice addition but not entirely enough. Here’s what I personally think they need to focus on after this month’s update (in no particular order):

--Player/company housing: Role-players are very limited in what we can do in terms of locations. We have no NPC houses to utilize and the only buildings we’re allowed to enter are stores and guild headquarters. Heck, we’re having tomorrow’s masquerade at a freaking temple and have to pretend that it’s a mansion because that's the only real option available. Player housing will allow us to forge lots of potential environments for RP, ranging from clinics to regular houses to offices. I recall turning my FFXI mog house into all manners of things to enhance some RP scenes.

--Quests: Leve quests aren’t really the same thing. They’re all mostly the exact same as one another. Follow your map to the targets, kill them, end of leve. Some of the faction leves are a bit more awesome (I’ve only done 3 thus far and enjoyed them all) but it’s still not enough variety. Some traditional styled quests would be an awesome addition and give more life to the so far lifeless world. I don’t even care if they’re just random fetch/delivery quests with crap rewards to start (like FFXI’s bat wing fetch quest in San d’Oria). But it’ll add a lot more to do and a lot more general life to the world.

--Grouping: There’s very little incentive to do anything in groups, hence nearly eradicating the MMO from the RPG. All storyline missions thus far can be completely soloed. You get a path companion but that’s it so far. Maybe I just haven’t got far enough yet. But so far there’s no FFXI equivalent of the 2-3 dragon, 5-1 lich, or 5-2 shadowlord fights. The storyline may be great (and it is), but there’s no feeling of accomplishment on anything so far. My greatest accomplishment so far is acquiring onion gear from faction leves, and that isn’t saying much. Soloing is a nice option to have but I’d rather have some things that force you to group. Hopefully, NM’s help with this a bit. I want some bcnm styled fights that feel epic and can be reused in the future for RP events.

Castiel Wrote:This is definitely big news. I do feel for Tanaka though since I don’t think any of this is totally his fault. Release dates and timelines tend to be set by the higher powers that be, not necessarily developers. So it’s not totally his fault that it was released way too soon.

Yeah Tanaka was asked to turn his sword on himself. The problem is probably Wada's push to get it out the door.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Nikolai - 12-10-2010

It's a very Japanese thing to do. The leader of a project takes all blame for its failure, so that the face of the rest of the group might be preserved.

Here's hoping it turns out to be for the best.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Eternal Darkness - 12-11-2010

DAISHI Wrote:I would pay handsomely for some official population numbers right about now.

They may be quite embarrassed by that, though. The numbers have dropped quite a bit since beta. Though I am sad so see some of those people go (the administration bunch), I am over joyed to see the new one's come in and Square taking the initiative on this, realizing that their product is currently in shambles. I have faith in them, however, as they have rarely let me down.

My largest complaint, and it's really nothing, is the fact that you can't change the system settings in game like every other game on the market. It's cumbersome, especially when you don't know how your system will handle the game at first, to have to log into the game to see how it runs, exit the game change something, log back in then rinse and repeat until satisfied.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Trizzip - 12-11-2010

Kinda sucks that the PS3 release will be postponed, but I guess as long as it ends up being worth it, then that's cool.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Don Miqot'e - 12-13-2010

Im both pleased and disappointed by this, as I think Tanaka did well in some aspects that may or may not be completely overlooked by "The Young Blood". I have to agree it wasn't entirely his fault that this game was not the polished gem expected of a Final Fantasy. (perhaps even over expected?)

That, and the PS3 release, which I have been raving about, is going to be delayed? Hopefully just to late march >.> but that's unlikely. Still if the game is simply that much more polished upon release, and its currently free to play, I guess I have no reason to complain really.

Ultimately, more time to work on my character, I suppose.

Re: An Important Announcement for FINAL FANTASY XIV Fans - Eltharian - 12-13-2010

Quote:Though no longer producer, I will be continuing to support the development team in other capacities, and personally hope that you will continue your adventures in the realm of Eorzea.

I also think Tanaka did well in some aspects, but it sounds like he will still have some sort of input.

Anyway, I think I will finally be able to play by the end of the year so I'm really interested in how these changes will affect the game.