Hydaelyn Role-Players
Slaver and Slavery Lore? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Slaver and Slavery Lore? (/showthread.php?tid=9043)

Slaver and Slavery Lore? - Knight Kat - 11-24-2014

Hello peoples!

Does anyone know if there are slavers or slavery mentioned in the lore? If so, is any of it legal? How common might it be? Any evidence of what races are targeted more than others (if any)?

The reason I ask is that I have a long-term plot in mind for my character that involves Slavers and Slavery, and I would like to abide by whatever lore there is.

RE: Slaver and Slavery Lore? - Jana - 11-24-2014

The ROG questline talks a little bit about it: Some pirates were razing small villages and selling the villagers, and it becomes the PC's job to help hunt them down. This was all in Limsa, and the freed slave NPCs are midlanders, 1 miqo'te, and I think 1 elezen? I'd have to check, but I don't think there was any real racial preference.

RE: Slaver and Slavery Lore? - Shoshopu - 11-24-2014

The Arcanist storyline revolves around this, too. I'm not familiar with what's kosher for spoiling and what's not so just to be safe I'll spoiler tag it I guess even though this is like early 2.0 guild quest stuff

Show Content

So... yeah, there's a fairly recent history of it happening, even before the aforementioned ROG storyline which I haven't touched. In Limsa Lominsa, at least, it is very illegal.

I think it's safe to assume Roegadyn pirates are probably common offenders in the slave trade. There seems to be a precedent for Miqo'te and Midlanders being targeted.

RE: Slaver and Slavery Lore? - Antain - 11-24-2014

It's pretty safe to say that it's an uncommon practice, but not unheard of based on the examples before this post. From the start of this game, I've played an escaped slave, as well as built an FC based on my character's personal backstory (the former slave hold is now a sanctuary for escaped slaves and those who wish to help them). But in general, there are elements of slavers and slavery within quest lines, both main story and class.

RE: Slaver and Slavery Lore? - Inessa Hara - 11-24-2014

Do not know if this is still common practice in Ul'dah, but way far back in the Eorzean timeline, its hinted that the slave trade and especially the sex slave trade was quite a popular and prominent trade in Ul'dah and Limsa to an extent. Modern or current day Eorzea seems to have something akin to indentured servants now instead of slaves, though its not a solid theory or idea considering the Flame General himself was a slave gladiator fighting in the Blood Sands at one time and won his freedom when he was much younger.

RE: Slaver and Slavery Lore? - allgivenover - 11-24-2014

The Rogue quests depict a group of pirates kidnapping people and forcing them into slavery. I don't think it's as much of a problem in Thanalan, but it's certainly ongoing in La Noscea.

Also Sastasha Story mode, pay attention to what those girls are saying.