Hydaelyn Role-Players
Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? (/showthread.php?tid=9094)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Gegenji - 12-05-2014

Being a Doma-native, Chachan just watches all this "sooper ninjuh" stuff going on around him and just shakes his head. Then someone walks by him and he's gone, leaving a small carved wooden rabbit in his wake*.

* This sentence may or may not be completely made up. He's more likely just doing his usual dork-running around the Quicksand and (OOCly) jumping over people because he's a goof.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Zyrusticae - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 04:20 PM)Tasa Rhyzul Wrote: Excuse me if its been covered already but i think everyone misses the biggest point against Dragoons. They can jump, they can fight, they're good at their job. Why is irrelevant, i have one qualm with them.

"Why are you in Ul'dah" 

Dragoons are not super rare, but they're trained exclusively by Ishgard and they covet this training. They're also shown to be quite xenophobic and closed off in lore. Dragoon rpers either have to have forsaken Ishgard(unlikely if you've dedicated your life to becoming one of its greatest protectors) and hide that side of themselves or break lore. That's why i don't like Dragoon rpers, has nothing to do with their fancy combat or really silly armor.
This is a fair point. Frankly, I don't see why people can't just play badass lancers but I guess they really like to jump or something. Kind of sucks that so many players don't give due reverence to the lore in this regard.

(12-05-2014, 04:38 PM)Val Wrote: [...] Unless they're a miqo'te or another race with acute hearing[...]
Miqo'te are NOT the "acute hearing" race. They have a stronger sense of smell but it's the Elezen you go to for sensitive ears.

Would be funny if someone roleplayed a Miqo'te smelling you through smoke, but then again, doesn't that smoke clog up the nostrils as well? Heh. Not that I'd know. I don't have a cat's or dog's nose, either!

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Artigan - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 04:59 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 04:20 PM)Tasa Rhyzul Wrote: Excuse me if its been covered already but i think everyone misses the biggest point against Dragoons. They can jump, they can fight, they're good at their job. Why is irrelevant, i have one qualm with them.

"Why are you in Ul'dah" 

Dragoons are not super rare, but they're trained exclusively by Ishgard and they covet this training. They're also shown to be quite xenophobic and closed off in lore. Dragoon rpers either have to have forsaken Ishgard(unlikely if you've dedicated your life to becoming one of its greatest protectors) and hide that side of themselves or break lore. That's why i don't like Dragoon rpers, has nothing to do with their fancy combat or really silly armor.
This is a fair point. Frankly, I don't see why people can't just play badass lancers but I guess they really like to jump or something. Kind of sucks that so many players don't give due reverence to the lore in this regard.

(12-05-2014, 04:38 PM)Val Wrote: [...] Unless they're a miqo'te or another race with acute hearing[...]
Miqo'te are NOT the "acute hearing" race. They have a stronger sense of smell but it's the Elezen you go to for sensitive ears.

Would be funny if someone roleplayed a Miqo'te smelling you through smoke, but then again, doesn't that smoke clog up the nostrils as well? Heh. Not that I'd know. I don't have a cat's or dog's nose, either!

Miqotes also have very powerful legs. Makes them actually ideal Monks, Ninjas, and Dragoons.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Gegenji - 12-05-2014

Obviously Lalafell would make the best Dragoons. One, they're so small that you're likely not to notice one until it's on top of you; and two, they can be thrown for added ferocity to their strikes. Thumbsup

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Val - 12-05-2014

(12-05-2014, 04:59 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote:

I keep hearing different things about them, and I've seen some people RP that they have good hearing, smell, and powerful legs. I've SEEN where SE says they have a great sense of smell and powerful legs, so I just made it to be a Miqo'te to show that it would be one I would at least be somewhat willing to accept.

I'd say smelling through smoke would be harder than hearing someone, considering what you said. It would clog the senses and likely cloud over whatever scent the enemy has with that sooty smoke smell. Not to mention that being able to smell someone =/= knowing what that person is gonna do.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Seriphyn - 12-05-2014

"Why are you in Ul'dah" 

My thoughts exactly.

(12-05-2014, 04:59 PM)Zyrusticae Wrote: This is a fair point. Frankly, I don't see why people can't just play badass lancers but I guess they really like to jump or something. Kind of sucks that so many players don't give due reverence to the lore in this regard.

Yeah, I've always wondered what's wrong with RPing a lancer or just any class, rather than getting into tenuous lore that may or may not surround your chosen job.

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Yssen - 12-05-2014

[quote pid=125812 dateline=1417813167]

[/quote]

This is true, though the two tribes are actually split. Wildwoods have uber eyesight, and Duskwights have the uber hearing. Silly greens just like to THINK they hear better. ;p

RE: Why is there constantly stigma with Dragoon? - Kellach Woods - 12-05-2014

I view mudras as the one thing you use when you need to finish a fight quickly, decisively and more importantly where your opponent has no fucking clue what you did to summon lightning and omg why the fuck is that guy able to summon lightning that's just balls (I tell ye).

In so far as "why not just RP as the classsssssssss?" mostly because we all like to be special snowflakes and sometimes that's the only thing we got OKAY MOM?

Which reminds me I need to scale back my own character's special snowflakeyness. It's starting to grow increasingly bizarre.

Then again, considering the mun, it's not exactly that strange.

(12-05-2014, 07:56 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: I view mudras as the one thing you use when you need to finish a fight quickly, decisively and more importantly where your opponent has no fucking clue what you did to summon lightning and omg why the fuck is that guy able to summon lightning that's just balls (I tell ye).

In so far as "why not just RP as the classsssssssss?" mostly because we all like to be special snowflakes and sometimes that's the only thing we got OKAY MOM?

Which reminds me I need to scale back my own character's special snowflakeyness. It's starting to grow increasingly bizarre.

Then again, considering the mun, it's not exactly that strange.

I've taken more of a geomancer approach to it, myself. Since they absorb the aether from the world around them, I'd have Val shoot the lightning from the sky. If he's inside a building, he obviously wouldn't be able to use it. He has to be near water to use water-type skills, etc. With those limitations, I don't think it's right to strictly limit to in-game skills, either. I like the idea of being able to come up with new, fun attacks and stuff based on the three combinations of mudra and mixture of aether. That's just my idea on it, though.

Eh, I'm holding out for an actual Geomancer class (with dem BELLS) or RPing Conjurer (If I ever learn anything IC as far as that class goes) as more of that than Ninja.

(12-05-2014, 08:26 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Eh, I'm holding out for an actual Geomancer class (with dem BELLS) or RPing Conjurer (If I ever learn anything IC as far as that class goes) as more of that than Ninja.

I understand! It's just my personal interpretation on the matter. It makes sense to me that they'd have to have that kind of aetherial element nearby to be able to use it, since they don't actually use their own aether--they use the aether from the world around them.

Anyone can learn to become a Shinobi, much like a Paladin, and harnass the powers of Ninjutsu, so long as those with the power and knowledge are willing to teach the individual in question. Doma is no where as near as xenophobic as Ishgardians, and spoilers aside, the lore lends itself to allow for anyone to become a Ninja if they so choose.

Obviously, to state the obvious, a good (poor if you are feeling lazy) story is needed to explain how a character is able to manipulate their chi (aether) to perform Ninjutsu and "release" the powers of man, heaven, and earth.

Also, nothing is saying a player's echo power can't be completely fluff. Golden Rule: do what is fun.

If you don't accept another players concept, fair enough, but players should play whatever best suits their time and gives them the greatest happiness.

Double post

(12-05-2014, 08:30 PM)Val Wrote: I understand! It's just my personal interpretation on the matter. It makes sense to me that they'd have to have that kind of aetherial element nearby to be able to use it, since they don't actually use their own aether--they use the aether from the world around them.
Kell's roguish charms are only level 15 so I wouldn't know (and canonically it is the least likely class he'd grind) but I'm mostly using other media interpretations of ninjutsu/mudras so I'm not too aware of how FFXIV mentions it.

But due to how the elements work in FFXIV it'd be hard to find a spot that has absolutely no trace of an element. I know the Ehcatl quest that requires you to mine pure water shards/clusters, IIRC, has the item description for these key items mention that they're quite rare.

(12-05-2014, 08:49 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(12-05-2014, 08:30 PM)Val Wrote: I understand! It's just my personal interpretation on the matter. It makes sense to me that they'd have to have that kind of aetherial element nearby to be able to use it, since they don't actually use their own aether--they use the aether from the world around them.
Kell's roguish charms are only level 15 so I wouldn't know (and canonically it is the least likely class he'd grind) but I'm mostly using other media interpretations of ninjutsu/mudras so I'm not too aware of how FFXIV mentions it.

But due to how the elements work in FFXIV it'd be hard to find a spot that has absolutely no trace of an element. I know the Ehcatl quest that requires you to mine pure water shards/clusters, IIRC, has the item description for these key items mention that they're quite rare.

To my knowledge, they really only state that they manipulate the aether that is around them in order to cast their jutsu and that it is incredibly tasking, leaving the caster fatigued and in need of recharge. It's obviously just an excuse for the game mechanic, but I'd imagine in RP it means that it takes a LOT to do it. Val's always been a mostly physical fighter, and giving him Ninjutsu just helps to level the playing field against casters--but I don't want to cheese it and make him OP.

As far as having no trace of an element, I agree! I just want to have him use or manipulate what's around him as it states. He always has the ground/air/sky if there's nothing else around. They also briefly mention that they believe that their Gods are in everything around them. I... probably should have wrote it all down, to be honest. I was too busy trying to hit 50 ASAP to care to e_e