Hydaelyn Role-Players
Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Resources (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Player Directory (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime (/showthread.php?tid=9148)

Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Collem Brody - 12-04-2014

Hey all,

My name's Paul (IGN Ludovich Baert), and I've just recently arrived on Balmung.  I haven't really roleplayed on the server too much yet, as I'm focusing on leveling my new character, but I've chatted with some of you on the OOC LS.

I'm making this post to gauge interest and see what your thoughts are on a trading company that is actually a front for organized crime.  I looked through the linkshell directory and didn't see anything else like this but let me know is there is already a group out there that is fulfilling this role!

A group like this might obviously behave antagonistically towards other players, and I think we an all agree that IC conflict between characters can be very interesting if both parties are interested and it's done right.  A lot of hurt feelings and rage can happen if it's done wrong though.  So I want to get your feedback!  What would you like to see of an organization like this?  Are you interested?  Conflict between characters isn't for everyone, and if there's no interest I can accept that.  What questions do you have?

That's all I can think of to say right now.  I want to take the time to actually take the time to roleplay on the server and get to know you lot (both in an IC and OOC sense) before I get this idea off of the ground.  Besides, I have a lot of leveling to do!  I just thought it would be interesting to start this discussion now and see what people think.

See you in Eorzea!

-Ludo

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Coatleque - 12-04-2014

I know Tylwyth Narah focuses on organized crime, though I don't think they serve as a false front as well. Being on the other side of the line, I'm not privy to all the secrets of dangerous men Wink

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Gegenji - 12-04-2014

If I recall my Leves correctly, I believe there actually is mention of a Baert Company in North Thanalan, so at least you're not without precedent with this idea. Plus, I think that description can also describe plenty of factions in Ul'dah. Most of the factions in Ul'dah, really. Laugh

Playing the antagonist is always a dangerous game, but plenty of folks seem to have done it without too much trouble both in the game itself and here on the forums. I suppose the only thing I would want to ask is how consistent will the antagonism be and at what level? Will it be the more Ul'dahn - I keep using the Jewel as a point of reference, it seems - "puppet master" sort of deal with a lot of untraceable shady dealings... or is this going to be a bit more of a blatant "Yeah, these are bad guys" thing?

I think defining that will help define what folks might be interested in it, either as a part of it or acting in defiance of it.

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Zhavi - 12-04-2014

I am always open to criminal anything, though I keep my character locked to Limsa Lominsa (she's a street rat, and never leaves). While Zhi wouldn't join that sort of group, she'd definitely try to get involved as a contractor of some sort should they operate in Limsa.

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Collem Brody - 12-04-2014

Ah see I didn't know about Tylwyth Narah. I'll have to check them out! I also didn't realize they referenced Baert Trading Company in this game; that's interesting! I envisioned this being more of a behind the scenes shindig, but that's something I can work out while I level and get to know the community.

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Gegenji - 12-04-2014

Haha, being the FFT fan that I am, I was delightedly surprised when I saw the Baert name attached to some baddies in that leve.

And undercover nasty plots are certainly a possibility. I'm sure there's at least three running somewhere right now, if not much more. So many deceitful plot threads in motion~

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - Phayte - 12-04-2014

I'm a fairly light RP'er, but I've been trying to do a bit more here and there randomly and I actually joined Tylwyth Narah to get involved in more questionable activities and what I have been involved in has been fun. That said, I don't believe TN really has a front, though the organization does deal with some illegal trade but under no facade, just all in secret. (C'kayah can correct me if this is inaccurate.)

I really like the idea of a front for a criminal organization, though at least personally, I'm not sure my character would get involved if you're planning a trading organization (she's not much of a merchant or crafter). Personally for my character's venue, I sort of picture a bar, restaurant, club-like place, where you have a back room where deals goes down, or a warehouse of illegal goods in the basement, or hidden reinforced rooms for kidnappings, etc.

(Image of Chinese restaurant with a back room where people are illegally gambling playing mahjong suddenly flashed into my head.)

RE: Thoughts and gauging interest: Trading company as a front for organized crime - C'kayah Polaali - 12-31-2014

How did I miss this thread?

Tylwyth Narah started out in secret, but we've secured a charter from the Syndicate recognizing us as a legitimate import/export company in Thanalan. In that way, we definitely have a legitimate trading company front.

It is, however, a very thin front. Hell, even Coatleque knows we're bent. Wink