Hydaelyn Role-Players
Character Critique - Sorel Caudron - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Character Critique - Sorel Caudron (/showthread.php?tid=9152)

Character Critique - Sorel Caudron - foxfirestorm - 12-04-2014

Some people may have known me as Vaelyn Nykah loong ago. I pretty much left the RP front due to life events and just not having enough time. In truth, me coming back is a minor experiment to see if I even have the time to honestly roleplay on an MMO, because I really do miss the community of like minds and though I run a Final Fantasy XIV Theme on a MUSH, it isn't always the same thing.

Now that said, as it has been a long time and I know there are some heavy debates over dragoons, I figured I post this character up here while he is still in his very 'baby' stage of growth from IC interactions for aided help on taking a hammer to him if someone sees something that may be out of place.

This is an extreme rough draft of the character and critiques are welcomed, any suggestions, or 'likes' or 'eehs'. So yeah, he up for review!

---------------

Name: Sorel Caudron
Race: Elezen (Wood)

Home Nation: Ishgard
Original House: Durendaire
Religion: Halone, The Fury

Brief History Rundown:
* Sorel was born an Ishgardian as amember of house Durendaire. His father was military and his mother was of the church.
* He followed along his father'sfootsteps to join the military at the acceptable age.
* His father was killed during his timeof training during a dragon invasion before the events of the Calamity
* Sorel wanted to avenge his father soseeked to become one of the holy knights of Dragoons.
* He was accepted and his trainingbegan, and still going even as forever winter claimed Coerthas, however during those years under training and making his way to become a full fledged dragoon, he was framed for the acts of a heretic-- along with his mother.
* Though he managed to escape, hismother allowed herself to be captured in order to try to prove that neither she nor he were of the heretic order. Willingly dropping into the witchdrop for them both.
* However because he was not presentnor could be found, they held the charges against him as one of the heretics.
* Sorel though wanted to find the manresponsible for the framing and bring them to proper justice, as they were probably the true heretic and House Durendaire could be in danger for all he knew.
* Though trouble tended to follow himwhile he was aware from Ishgard, leading to several poor life choices and bitter issues.
* He at first didn't stay in theTwelveswood because it was to close to Ishgard.
* He traveled too Ul'dah to try andsold his things along the way, including a good deal of what gear he had on him to get up enough coin. He then used that coin for gambling to try and raise up more capitol to maybe buy back some of the things he sold. This failed. (Also ton of bar brawls in between and getting booted from many settlements bars cause of it)
* Instead he ticked off the wrongpeople and fled to Limsa Lominsa in hopes to hide out there. Only to be dragged back in the middle of one night and handed over to the group he wronged.
* He was then tossed into the gladiatorgames to make up the coin.
* He found the means to escape whensomeone took interest in him for the night and used that a means of escape as they slept.
* Took what he could and made a run forit back to the Twelveswood. Where he then remained, hiding out in the forest in his paranoid state and hunting any game to sell off to those of need of the leather or meat. Maybe starting to piss off the elements by this point, but who knows!

Personality Traits:
Sorel is heavily paranoid about peoplehe meets, concerned that it may be the Syndicate from Ul'dah, some paid bounty hunter, or maybe even one of his own coming to bring him back. In this he doesn't trust anyone, but at the same time he missed the interactions he once had in the military-- that brotherhood that was taken from him.

He also has no idea who framed him andhis mother. Fearing that they too could be stalking his every step and sometimes wonder if maybe he did do something; Perhaps that is why the mighty goddess continues to curse him with constant misfortune. Wondering if he'll ever get a break from it all.

If he isn't being paranoid and isn'tdrunk off his ass, Sorel can be a rather nice guy. He can be a bit dry in his humor, even sometimes a touch cruel, but his heart is in the right place. He cares for others and though the constant impacts in such a short time has hardened his defensive walls, he does sometimes let a bit of his normal self through. For he does desperately want someone he can trust.

When he is drunk, he gets a bit--stupid. Rambling off about things that sometimes make no sense at all and if you even say anything that could be taken as fighting words, he'll quickly go on the offensive like a coil ready to spring. Him and being drunk is /not/ a good thing and shows that more crazy side of what this world has done to him.

Also don't get him started on dragonswhen he is drunk. He may never stop until he passes out or find himself getting into a fight over it, declaring someone a heretic out of his state of idiocy. Best thing anyone can do if they ever befriend him is keep him away from the booze. Seriously.

In combat, he has become cautious.Though he has the training of a dragoon. He knows how to wield the lance with efficiency and accuracy, he tends to hold back. In some ways its because he has become fearful of his own weapon and the past it holds, causing him to take up self taught knowledge (and many failures) with other weapons, such as the bow for hunting. Though there is always the reliable fists, but his brawling stance is no match for someone who is a trained martial fighter in the fist brawls.

The only time he does shine is with thelance, but because of that fear that holds him back, it may become obvious to anyone that has long years of training in the same weapon that he /is/ holding back and stays far more on the defensive with it then on the offensive.

This has lead him many times then notleaving his lance at home, and just taking with him a wooden staff, which he uses many of his polearm training with and it is here that his fear does not take hold and one can see simply the training of years upon years of making to that almost status of being a dragoon.

Now if someone could just get him overthe fear of his own lance and maybe get him over his mental breaks that not everyone is out to kill him. There may be some hope for him and maybe, just maybe, he'll find someone who could finish his education as a Dragoon-- not that he'll ever wear the armor, but it is never about the armor, but what is in the heart itself.

And that heart of his needs a ton ofduct tape and super glue.