Hydaelyn Role-Players
How do you connect with your character? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: RP Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: How do you connect with your character? (/showthread.php?tid=9156)

Pages: 1 2

How do you connect with your character? - Reshie - 12-04-2014

I've had this character for about six months now, only three of those have been with active RP. In that time frame, I've had very little connection to her and my desire to RP becomes less and less. I've played this type of personality before, had a blast doing it, and am not understanding why I can't seem to get in the groove of it. I know RL issues affect my desire to RP but I used to find it a release where as now it feels like a chore. She's my main so I want to be connected to her and want to find the fun I had with Agrippina in SWTOR but with Eresh here without all the sluttiness. Tongue 

So my question is this: How do you connect with your character? Do you write things about their current activities or their past? Do you do random mini RPs to get in the swing? What helped you want to and feel invested in your character?

Thanks so much in advance!

RE: How do you connect with your character? - DreamedReality - 12-04-2014

Usually I find if I'm losing connection its because where I want the character to go is getting muddled and they're in some sort of rutt. Or there is nothing active going on.

So... for the last one it's usually because I've had a break in RP. So its just a matter of getting back into RP.

The other its a bit more involved. Re-reading background. Seeing where they are at as a person. Where they could grow. Where they can break. What brings them out of whatever comfort zone rutt they're in. Then either finding or creating a small plot going that really makes me engage. RPing with new people helps because I can't predict how this new character is going to react to things.

So for a suggestion, you are using a personality type that you've long played. Perhaps do a bit of compare and contrast with how this character is turning our compared how to your SWTOR one did? See what sort of new character or situation your current character can meet or get into and explore new things?

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Jana - 12-04-2014

If I'm losing my grip on a character, I'll usually play another (usually single-player) game and think on how my RP character would handle those kinds of situations. Even if Jana Ridah from FFXIV will never throw a grenade into a machine gun nest and charge in bayonet-first, it kind of helps me keep that character's personality in the back of my head so I can revisit her later.

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Yhen Yizeh - 12-04-2014

(12-04-2014, 06:58 PM)Jaques Wrote: Usually I find if I'm loosing connection

You should tighten it if it's loose!

As to the question, my connection comes naturally!

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Aaron - 12-04-2014

Solo rp.

It's a lot funner than you think

RE: How do you connect with your character? - MikoBehnen - 12-04-2014

I'm super new so this might be silly advice, but I just start typing my character's stream of consciousness in Google docs. Most of it starts wrong and sounds more like me than Miko, but eventually she kicks in and when I see something I like I open a new doc and use that as a prompt ^_^

So the short version: Solo RP I guess?

RE: How do you connect with your character? - DreamedReality - 12-04-2014

(12-04-2014, 09:39 PM)Yhen Yizeh Wrote:
(12-04-2014, 06:58 PM)Jaques Wrote: Usually I find if I'm loosing connection

You should tighten it if it's loose!

As to the question, my connection comes naturally!
Shhhhhh, that never happened.

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Marisa - 12-05-2014

(12-04-2014, 09:43 PM)Keyblade Wrote: Solo rp.

I do that sometimes. I've been known to even talk to the NPCs from time to time. 

I swear I'm not crazy.

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Guy Tower - 12-05-2014

Solo RP'ing is an interesting idea, one that I've abandoned a while ago but perhaps should return to.

Anyway, for me, my main character is always a variation on myself. What or whom would I be if I existed in a fantasy world. It sometimes leads to being a little unhealthily close to what I do as my character, but usually it just strenghtens the immersion. You know, being that guy instead of playing being that guy. Perhaps you'll find such approach to your liking. As for alts, well, I can't help you there, since 90% of my alts are short-lived. Unless I have made up a really interesting story for them to follow, I usually drop them sooner or later.

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Nebbs - 12-05-2014

For me the character is like a sketch, and it is the white heat of RP that it truly forms. Often I have started out with a concept that looking back was flawed but in initial RP the true character has emerged and takes for itself those contacts and activities in the real (RP) world.

My approach is to take all the snippets of RP and stitch then onto the tapestry of my character, so it starts like a patchwork but soon develops. This weaving then allows me to shift and join up between RPs so 1+1=3. I love free-form RP the most because of this.

So the character is in the world and discovering the world and people, and that is most of the fun.. all those connections.

Yes there are mechanical things to do, ensuring you take opportunities to RP and also create them for others. RP is out there, and if you you are not feeling it.. change something to light that spark?

(edit: Also write notes as you flesh out the character, so you can maintain some consistency)

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Eve Malusion - 12-05-2014

I'm doing most of my house decoration IC. Works as both a writing exercise because I am horribly new to RPing (I know I've been here for a while but I'm only just getting around to actually starting, and I have anxiety issues about writing!) and connecting with the character in general in thinking what they would like for the decorating rather than neccessarily my own preferences.

So... I guess the writing about current activities works for me, for now at least.

RE: How do you connect with your character? - ProvaDiServo - 12-05-2014

I solo RP when no one is around in my FC house. >.>

Also I'll play other games from an IC perspective. I find myself chuckling at how my characters handle street fighter Super smash bros, Mario kart, hell even other FF games. XD

RE: How do you connect with your character? - D'aito Kuji - 12-05-2014

I do this.

I talk to NPCs, I bow to them, thank them, acknowledge them.  I sass pirates and poachers and try to soothe beasts before being forced to take them down.  It's fun and it keeps me in a RP mindset.

It also helps me pick up RP in the wild and make new connections.

It can also invite negative attention but I try not to let that get me down.

I feel like, if you limit your character to RP when you're only engaged with others, it can turn into a situation where you're just doing small talk at a bar.  And small talk can be pretty generic.

But I'm still pretty new to RP in FFXIV but not new to RP in MMOs and I've always found a lot of joy in RP'ing in environments outside of the game itself: forums, skype, twitter, tumblr.  Those things all really help me keep in touch with my characters.

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-05-2014

Every day I have Berrod go turn in and collect leves from Eustace for the company. I play it out from start to finish -- it takes only a few moments, but it's fun as hell and adds a bit of character to the setting!

RE: How do you connect with your character? - Oli! - 12-05-2014

This sort of advice certainly isn't for everyone (I'm big on whimsy), but from time to time, I've found that people tend to lose their touch with characters because they're taking them too seriously, or they're super hung-up on only one facet of their characterization or personality.

Do something silly with them. Go on a misadventure. Or, if that's not that character's style, look for characters to interact with that serve as a foil for them, or make a character to contrast them yourself.