Hydaelyn Role-Players
How would your character handle being ill? - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Community (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Character Workshop (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: How would your character handle being ill? (/showthread.php?tid=9242)

Pages: 1 2 3

How would your character handle being ill? - TheBlob - 12-11-2014

As I sit in bed, wide awake at 2am after sleeping off some nightquil and a high fever whilst praying silently that I don't wake my poor husband up with the cellphone's glow, my mind wanders around thinking of random questions like: how would my characters handle an illness?

I think getting sick would really try Andy the most...

Andralyn grumbles quietly as she's pushed back into bed for the third time that day.
"Sleep."
She moans, pulling up the covers to her red, raw nose and whines,  "M'fine..." 

John shakes his head, grumbling as he leaves the he room again.

Moments pass.

"John? "

"Jooohn? "

"Joooo-"

John moves into the doorway, his brows lifted so high it was almost as if they needed to be so his smile would remain, "Yes, love?"

"M'bored..."

"I'm sorry,  Andy... what can I do?"

"Lay with me."

"You're sick."

"I'm fine!"

"I'll get the newspaper. "

She whines, her head tilted back to release a groan that would send her into a fit of coughs.

John shakes his head and leaves again, patting the doorframe as he goes, "Soup is about done."

She lays, staring at the ceiling fan for a long time, fighting the urge to slip into a pleasant slumber. 

"John..."

"Yes, love? "

"Our ceiling fan is filthy."

"..."

"Bring me the broom."

And so on and so on forever until he threatens to rip every piece of clothing in her closet to keep her in bed and drugs her soup to get her to sleep. THE end.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Gegenji - 12-11-2014

This is an surprisingly well-timed question to pop up, as I had a scene about Chachan being sick yesterday evening.

As it's noted in his wiki, Chachan hates taking medicine, so when he caught a cold trudging through the rainy streets of Mist in search of his friends' FC manor... well, it led to some interesting events.

His friend coerced and prodded and offered various things to get the young Lalafell to take the medicine when she kept noticing his sneezes. He ultimately had to make a choice between avoiding the "icky" medicine or getting to see a shark jaw. After a lot of whining and waffling, he chose the latter.

... Up until she poured the medicine into the spoon in front of him, which led to a chase and impromptu hide-and-seek session around the manor. He was finally cornered and forced to take the medicine, and he grumpily pointed out her promise about letting him see the shark jaw.

I play Chachan as rather childish often enough, but I think I set a new bar for myself with that one.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Warren Castille - 12-11-2014

Warren's a stereotypical man when it comes to being ill. It doesn't happen often, but when he does get sick he's dying, why can't anyone see he's dying? He needs to lay in bed and not move and have hot soup and sleep a lot and can't go outside and ugh sunlight and sick sick sick.

He does like snuggling, though he'll cocoon himself up first to try and contain the deathly plague murdering him to himself.

that's right i said snuggling what of it

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Steel Wolf - 12-11-2014

Steel succumbs to the needs of her body in everything except her training. So it would be with being sick--likely, she'd bury herself in all of the blankets and sequester herself in her room until it passed through.

...but she hates medicine. Haaaaaates it. She'll just try to drink it in to submission, depending on the malady.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-11-2014

Berrod isn't ill very often so when it does happens, he becomes very cross. He tends to hide himself away for fear of having others see him in a state of 'weakness'. As a proud highlander, he firmly believes that getting sick at any point in time (other than having a damn virus or bio cast on you...) is a sign that your body isn't properly strong enough to fight it off. He doesn't have the knowledge of how diseases really work, you see.

He would PROBABLY let Caleb or Grimm know -- Caleb, since they sleep in the same bed ANYWAY and Grimm because he would need someone to help run things while he shuts himself up and hides from being seen.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Dogberry - 12-11-2014

"This? *hackhackhackcough* Just a trifle. *coughhackcough* Gonna take more'n a slight *sneezeachoosnifflesnoooort* cough an' a sniffle to take me down. I survived *coughcoughachoo!* a shipwreck an' th'wrath of *snooooort*--'scuse me-- Leviathan. All I need's a drop of whiskey. *guzzles whiskey* Good for th'constitution. *SNEEZEACHOO!*"

Y'know, it would be kind of funny to have a minor thing about a bad cold being passed around by adventurers. Not really a plot, just an agreed upon "hey, this cold's going around" kinda deal.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Berrod Armstrong - 12-11-2014

(12-11-2014, 09:42 AM)Dogberry Wrote: "This? *hackhackhackcough* Just a trifle. *coughhackcough* Gonna take more'n a slight *sneezeachoosnifflesnoooort* cough an' a sniffle to take me down. I survived *coughcoughachoo!* a shipwreck an' th'wrath of *snooooort*--'scuse me-- Leviathan. All I need's a drop of whiskey. *guzzles whiskey* Good for th'constitution. *SNEEZEACHOO!*"

Y'know, it would be kind of funny to have a minor thing about a bad cold being passed around by adventurers. Not really a plot, just an agreed upon "hey, this cold's going around" kinda deal.
That's so disgusting but great at the same time lol.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - MikoBehnen - 12-11-2014

Miko would probably take too much of her medicine ("You mean you don't take the whole bottle?") and just walk around telling everyone how pretty they are and trying to give everyone hugs. Or she'd forget she's sick and go play out in the rain and make it worse.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - TheBlob - 12-11-2014

These have all been great to read while wrapped in my death shroud of a sickbed.

Heart

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Whittledown - 12-11-2014

Maudit would visit with a trusted medical professional and follow their advice/instructions to the letter.

He.... he might be really boring....

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Cliodhna Eoghan - 12-11-2014

Haven't given too much thought to being ill but most likely Clio would handle it the same way she handles being wounded; ignore it and keep pushing herself until it's too much and finally knocks her on her ass. Then it's still denying help and insisting she's fine while trying to keep going. Not in a "I'm saying no to get more attention" more of "leave me the hell alone, I've got stuff to do still." kinda way. Stubborn girl. xD

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Gegenji - 12-11-2014

(12-11-2014, 10:13 AM)Whittledown Wrote: Maudit would visit with a trusted medical professional and follow their advice/instructions to the letter.

He.... he might be really boring....

Given the majority approach to being sick thus far, though, he's probably the least likely to keel over from whatever sickness he had.

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Unnamed Mercenary - 12-11-2014

Oh...I like this question. 

There has only been one time I've every RPed being sick, and that's when a certain mercenary had a very bad case of aethersickness. He'd gone pale, had a horrible headache, couldn't quite think, and was nauseous.  It was RPed out as him moving slowly, speaking in bated breaths, and kind of swaying when he walked if there was nobody there to support him. Basically ready to just topple over and second and hit the floor/whatever was in the way. 

Since a certain "accident" though, Franz hasn't actually gotten sick. But if he did, I think it would play out like below, depending on some of the people he tends  to hang around.

Franz> *cough* *sneeze* *takes out handkerchief to wipe nose*

"Hey Franz! A-Are you feeling alright? You don't look so good..."

Franz> "It's just a cold. I'm fine, really. I'm not going to let some sickness keep me from my tasks, but would urge you to keep some distance, unless you would like to catch it."

"Shouldn't you be resting then?"

Franz> "I should be."

"Then why aren't you?"

Franz> "I just said. I want to finish this thing first."

"GO GET REST NOW!" *pushes and pulls in general direction*

Franz> "..." *gives up on current task*

Franz> "Happy now? I'm in bed. Resting. It's just a cold..."

--

Or it'd go this way.

Franz> *cough* *sneeze* *takes out handkerchief to wipe nose*

Person> "Filthy. Disease-bringer. Cretin. Can you go die somewhere else? You're going to make me sick. "

Franz> *walks to room and closes door quietly*

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Melody - 12-11-2014

Let's see...

I haven't been able to do a whole lot with her yet, but Melody would probably be good and stay in her room until she's able to safely go out in public again.

Her mother would always make her and Brio stay in bed whenever they fell ill at home.  Since her parents ran a hostel, they didn't want their rambunctious little twins horsing around and infecting all the travelers.

(Imagines teeny Lala tots running around doing cute things.... *squees*)

Since Melody is now on her own, if the sickness were to progress too far she'd probably have Brio go fetch her medicine, or if she didn't trust him that day she'd go get it herself.

Her down time would likely be spent all cuddled up reading, sleeping, and sipping nice warm broth.

Heart

RE: How would your character handle being ill? - Crisiet - 12-11-2014

Crisiet would try to continue as normal. He'd probably complain a lot though, then refuse to do anything to change the situation because that's more time and effort than it is to just feel sorry for himself and complain.