Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-23-2014

I think it's just a general issue that whatever role you're not playing will either:

a.) Take forever to join for the queue (Hate playing a tank class and waiting an extra five minutes because a healer needs to queue up, or playing healer and there's suddenly a dearth of tanks).

b.) Do something to tick you off. Healer isn't keeping your health high enough, DPS is doing dumb stuff, tank is taking forever to pull packs. It's nice when you get a good group where everyone seems to get along, but there's usually someone being a pain.

It happens often enough that I find myself wondering if it's me. And then I get the fun group where everyone's talking and joking and having a good time and I stop feeling so bad.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-23-2014

I have a few ifs ands ors buts when I PUG duty roulettes. They basically go something like...

Tank should be holding aggro. If tank cannot hold aggro, at least be trying (flash, etc). Overgeared, I understand, just try.

Healers should be healing. Don't just dps. Don't let people die cause you are dpsing.

DPS should dps. If DPS is low, at least use "basic" proper rotations. Do not purposely die to aoes or take damage to do HIGHDEEPS however. Don't be fucking wearing gathering/crafting left sides and be undergeared to boot.

I -will- judge if you say shit and will probably call you out on it.

(12-23-2014, 09:02 AM)Kage Wrote: Tank should be holding aggro. If tank cannot hold aggro, at least be trying (flash, etc). Overgeared, I understand, just try.

Healers should be healing. Don't just dps. Don't let people die cause you are dpsing.

You'd love running with me then.

As tank, I try to hold aggro on everything as best I can. Actually, as a tank, I get quite miffed at a ranged that unloads before I get a chance to establish aggro  and have to chase after that one add that ran out of my Flash/Overpower range. Let me establish some hate, THEN you wave your damage e-peen around. I also found myself warning folks beforehand when I was doing the i70 dungeons with minimum iLevel requirements that I was a babby tank - especially when dealing with i100+ folks that ended up with me.

On the healing front, I have a problem. I don't like people being below, like, 80% health. Ever. I always try to keep everyone topped off all the time (and Stoneskins on myself and the DPS), and only really DPS when that neurotic need is dealt with. If I'm in a really bad mood, I'll actually find myself getting miffed at that DRG or NIN who is attacking the wrong targets and getting hit and LOSING THAT STONESKIN I JUST CAST ON YOU STOP IT I HAVE TO RECAST IT NOW AUGH. Frustrated

So running with me would either be a breath of fresh air with those regards... or just goofy. I'm not sure which.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 12-23-2014

Yea I'm kinda hoping I don't run into anyone in this thread should I do this stuff on my own. I'm undergeared beyond belief (Hunts are slow gaiz I sorreh), I tank very deliberately (mark each target, lay out my rotation, one group at a time) and I CHAT AT PEOPLE OH LORD WHY DO PEOPLE HATE ME FOR SAYING HI!?! ;_;

I'll be hiding behind Zarek and his waifu now. *zips under all the blankets*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 09:30 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote: (...) I tank very deliberately (mark each target, lay out my rotation, one group at a time) and I CHAT AT PEOPLE OH LORD WHY DO PEOPLE HATE ME FOR SAYING HI!?! ;_;

I do both of these things. Smile Unless the whole group decides to speed things up (bigger pulls and such), I pull one group and mark. I always say "hi" when starting a run and thank everyone at the end. If I screw something up, I apologize. If someone else is consistently screwing up, I ask if they're open to some advice. If I'm new to an instance, I say that I am and ask for any advice people can provide.

*sits back, prepares to receive All of the Hate* Cry

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

Now now. I do my best to be patient with folks who are obviously learning or getting acclimated. If you're running through dungeons in coil gear wielding a novus weapon, though, I expect you to be competent. It's a holdover from XI, really, but the first thing I do when entering a dungeon is look at my party's gear. It helps immediately determine capability given how streamlined ilvl is in XIV. Healer using an i80~ weapon? Mass-pulls are probably a poor idea. DPS both using i55 greens? Probably need to hunker down for the run.

If you're i110+ and there's no new person bonus, though, I'm going to expect you to play at that level. The best part is, this still isn't an elitist mentality despite what many would think! Someone wearing gear bought by completing dungeons should be expected to be able to clear dungeons with some sort of expediency.

It might seem like a long ways off, but eventually the gear will get there and your comfort will get there and you won't need to mark or anything, and you'll be able to chat your party up while pulling a dozen enemies without fear of death or mistake.

I managed to gear up relatively quick on Chachan, who's sitting at i99 now, I think.

Though, part of that MAY be because I spent Saturday spamming Moggle Mog in a desperate attempt to get the Mogblade for his IC outfits. It dropped ONCE and I lost it to another PLD, and now I have the fists, axe, and the SCH book and still no sword. Frustrated

I ended up dumping a lot of the tomes I got on the right side - necklace, earrings, bracelet, rings - that I got from doing dungeons first time and the "windfall" from all those Moggle runs. Then it was belt, gloves, boots, and finally headgear. All purchased with Soldiery. My Poetics went towards a ring so I had 120/100 in those slots.

The last bit was just somehow managing to get the ST chest piece and pants in the same run. Despite only getting one sand and no oils from the handful of runs I've done so far of the place for all the Soldiery gear I'm wearing. I have so much iLevel "in potentia" it's kinda depressing. Cry

Though, I can't complain too much. Going from sub-i70 to that in a couple days isn't too shabby at all.

... Still want that Mogblade, though.

... And the Moogle outfit from the Fanfest/stream because no one told me and now I can't get it and I'm all sad I can't be punchmoogle...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-23-2014

I don't speedrun dungeons unless the party requests it.

Obviously that means I am the worst tank ever.

(12-23-2014, 09:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Though, part of that MAY be because I spent Saturday spamming Moggle Mog in a desperate attempt to get the Mogblade for his IC outfits. It dropped ONCE and I lost it to another PLD, and now I have the fists, axe, and the SCH book and still no sword. Frustrated
IIRC you craft an i90 version of it (it may look different, I dunno). Reagents are a pain to get (3-star craft ingredient + Kingly Whisker (not hard) + Battlecraft III (somewhat difficult) + 2 DEMIMOG DEMIMATERIA) though.

I think most of us say this because we've run these things so many times that we're used to an efficient pace. It's really not for everyone. It's not you.

It's us. The ones who've run it so many times that the people we are with are geared for it.

For example, some people still run Lost City one mob at a time even though we're geared. A little teeny bit annoying for some healers and/or dps that have a geared tank as well. But some people like to take their time through dungeons and some people don't. I seriously start to fall asleep now when groups are pulled one at a time in certain places. I almost let a tank in Qarn HM get to 20% HP cause I was starting to doze while he pulled one at a time.

I wasn't quite comfortable running the expert dungeons (current ones) as PLD or WAR because I don't know the pulls as well (OH GOD ALL DA STUFFS HERE). But my healers start running and I go after them. AHHH FLASH/OVERPOWER YOU BITCHES. Then I learned that I'll just clench down and grab all the agro while trying to avoid as much AS THE FUCKING AOES I CAN and pop defensives when I can. They'll let me live.

Or benediction my ass.

But honestly when we bitch and complain it's usually about -same ilvl- geared people. Do I tilt my head at the person in i100 armor with an i49/i55 weapon? Yes. A little. But then I think, "you're probably working on your relic or I hope you are." Cause soldiery and stuff is fast to come into now and most people seem to already have equips and gear for their alts beforehand.

(My lvl46 WHM is going to be near i110 when it gets to 50. My lvl30 MNK will probably be too. So would my lvl 18 ROG/NIN)

I think most people here will say hello and be happy with conversation. You can still have pleasant conversations while doing big pulls or healing people up.

I will fucking top your HP off and you better not fucking pull while I do it though!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 09:44 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Now now. I do my best to be patient with folks who are obviously learning or getting acclimated. If you're running through dungeons in coil gear wielding a novus weapon, though, I expect you to be competent.

...well....uhm...*pokes fingers together* ...yea, that makes sense, yea...

<---still is wearing some Darklight things and Hero's Fending things

I'M A WORK IN PROGRESS OKAY?! *eats cakes and sobs* XD

(12-23-2014, 09:44 AM)Gegenji Wrote: ... Still want that Mogblade, though.
As I've said before to people in PVE Seasons of Greetings and other, if you wanna farm up Mog HM, or get gear, I'll run with you people when I'm free and you wanna. I'll be your other tank and you don't need to worry about a tank ganking the blade from you.

That goes for everyone toooo.

Haha, yeah. I've had some help from the Friends of Momodi LS with some of the runs. A good portion of Saturday's runs were with another tank and a tank and a DPS. The blade just decided to make itself scarce. I swear, we saw, like, four axes and at least six mogfists.

And I'm actually rushing through MSQ to unlock all the dungeons so I can help with dungeon runs and such too. I'm up to unlocking the Expert Mode dungeons and Shiva at this point, at least.

Just... don't ask me to help with Coil, I only touched the first two parts and that was as a healer. Angel

(12-23-2014, 10:08 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Just... don't ask me to help with Coil, I only touched the first two parts and that was as a healer. Angel
I almost got forced into running T9 as a SCH to help someone get a T5-T9 clear on Sunday when I stomped my foot and said "If you want that T9 clear I can't guarantee we're gonna get it."

I got to pewpewFLARE while the SCH was trying to walk his fucking way through it or do it in first person. Seriously guys. I know I talk elitist shit but you can still have funs with me I swear.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 12-23-2014

(12-23-2014, 10:08 AM)Gegenji Wrote: Haha, yeah. I've had some help from the Friends of Momodi LS with some of the runs. A good portion of Saturday's runs were with another tank and a tank and a DPS. The blade just decided to make itself scarce. I swear, we saw, like, four axes and at least six mogfists.

And I'm actually rushing through MSQ to unlock all the dungeons so I can help with dungeon runs and such too. I'm up to unlocking the Expert Mode dungeons and Shiva at this point, at least.

Just... don't ask me to help with Coil, I only touched the first two parts and that was as a healer. Angel

Something something soldiery bonus something something co-tank something something coil.

(12-23-2014, 10:11 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: Something something soldiery bonus something something co-tank something something coil.
This.