Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 03-14-2016

It's sad to share a world with tanks who haven't managed to adapt to Regen being up on a pull nearly three years after launch. It really isn't hard.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - LiadansWhisper - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 12:12 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: It's sad to share a world with tanks who haven't managed to adapt to Regen being up on a pull nearly three years after launch. It really isn't hard.

I usually just say oops and ask them to click it off.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 12:33 PM)LiadansWhisper Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 12:12 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: It's sad to share a world with tanks who haven't managed to adapt to Regen being up on a pull nearly three years after launch. It really isn't hard.

I usually just say oops and ask them to click it off.

I usually just click it off. But that only works if it's just me. Otherwise, I use my tank privilege perfectly amazing judgement and say "1 sec brb" and do something that'd last long enough to let the timer expire. Like refilling a cup with water or a restroom break if needed. If it's every pull, then I start not approaching enemies to give a hint. ...I haven't had to verbally explain to a healer that precasting regen spells on the group is not recommended in a long time. (Lately, it's been the opposite, where healers have tried to DPS beyond what they can effectively heal and have wiped groups on single-mob-group trash pulls because they wanted to holy bomb).

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 03-14-2016

Is it that big of a misstep though? If I've got regen on, I just run into aggro instead of Lobbing first. Things target me, then target the healer, and by then I've already used Flash and Circle of Scorn to take back the meager bit of enmity established. Overpower would presumably work as well, and so does DRKspammycirclewhooshthingy.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 12:50 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Is it that big of a misstep though? If I've got regen on, I just run into aggro instead of Lobbing first. Things target me, then target the healer, and by then I've already used Flash and Circle of Scorn to take back the meager bit of enmity established. Overpower would presumably work as well, and so does DRKspammycirclewhooshthingy.

More an annoyance. The DPS are usually the bigger issue, and if they've also got regen on them, that adds to a bigger problem.

For me, it depends on my TP and if the group's running ahead. If I've got DPS who've forgot they aren't the tank and they're running past me to pull things, that's a bit more enmity to work against. WAR flash is pretty much useless aside as a signal for "HEY BRD, YOU HAVE SONGS, USE ONE" or "HEY NIN, REMEMBER THAT GOAD THING YOU HAVE?" More outside of antitower, it's not really an issue. Either everyone's synced to the same item level or I outgear them. In the new dungeons, people are blasting off all their cooldowns before I can pull some of the time, and particularly common with 3.2, the random DPS seem to try to pick different enemies to attack at all times, which doesn't really help. Perhaps I'm stubborn because I don't think it should be necessary to mark enemies when doing expert DR (perhaps I should! But that still requires people to understand what numbers are outside of their parsers).

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - LiadansWhisper - 03-14-2016

(03-14-2016, 12:50 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Is it that big of a misstep though? If I've got regen on, I just run into aggro instead of Lobbing first. Things target me, then target the healer, and by then I've already used Flash and Circle of Scorn to take back the meager bit of enmity established. Overpower would presumably work as well, and so does DRKspammycirclewhooshthingy.

It's really easy to do depending on how you have your keybinds set up.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 03-14-2016

As a WAR, can confirm that while initially it goes to the healer, an extra Overpower or two will just mean you have it. It might chew on the healer once or twice but that's what happens when you let HoTs generate enmity lol

Mind you this works on most new adds etc but if you use a -big- one, at level in some raids your healer may die.

LikeWHMinT13whooverhealwaytoofastandtheaddeatsthem

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - S'imba - 03-14-2016

I'll admit I'm scrublord prime but I'm still gonna give myou two cents. To me it seems a lot of people approach things really singular minded in the fact they just want to focus on what their job is rather than the needs of the group. So you get dps who just want to go in and tunnel in on doing the most damage. Tanks that don't want to deal with people getting aggro, and healers that don't want to have to heal. 

Markers and stuff kind of bug me when I'm dpsing cause I hate the feeling of the tank thinking I'm so stupid I need to be directed what to attack. I'll do my best to attack what the tanks attacking without markers, but when I suck at that and I get close to getting aggro I'll swap targets. When I'm tanking I don't mark since I expect my dps to do a little more than go through a rotation. I'll cycle through my targets if people are attacking different things and check aggro. Course when I can go without marking and having dragoons and Monks attacking different things and I can keep aggro I feel bad ass. But that's just me flexing my tanking eepeen.  If a healer tosses a regen on me before a pull I'll ask them to avoid that. (I keep having this paranoia that regens screw with my darkside draining too much mp.) But for the most part I just deal with it....doesn't feel to hard to position myself to grab enemies if they don't immediately target me. 

Meh just my little rant...it's a pet peeve of mine when people just focus on one thing rather than the needs of the team...probably cause my career pounds that mindset into me constantly.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 03-14-2016

Honestly at this point if something annoys me in a dungeon I just leave and try again 30 minutes later.

It's two years in, I'm over telling people they're doing something wrong. If it's one person, I try to kick them, otherwise I just leave and do my beast tribers.

Maybe not a healthy outlook but keeps me sane.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 03-14-2016

It's cool to be a tank with instant queues I guess... When you can also screw up the two other party members that were doing pretty fine on a whim cause the third one is going bonkers... I think that's the thing that annoys me most. Spoiled brat tanks that have absolutely no consideration for the rest of the folks and thinking only about themselves... On the other hand, I'm eternally grateful to all those tanks that stay and wait with us for another to join when we managed to kick someone so awful, or someone just disconnects. Props to them, when they could do like half of their kin and just give the middle finger and leave us on our own.

On regen, I learned not to cast that as soon as I could on the tank while getting more experience over time... I have had tanks absolutely refusing any regen whatsoever but most of them just shrugged it off and rolled with it, some with good results, some with a few scratches for me... Until I learned I guess. Even if I perfectly know that any tank should be able to hold a single regen very easily without any problem, I just tend not to do it until he gets his aggro first you know, just out of civility. It's a bit rude and makes you look a bit clumsy/noobish/uncaring otherwise.

Had a nice storyline Ifrit run today. Tank kept trying to cuddle me (as a MNK) and point Ifrit on my face, while BLM was not even trying to hit the nail. We almost wiped is the funniest thing there... Also, no Green Sprouts.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 03-15-2016

Overpower's a finicky piece of shit of an attack that can't decide if it's a cone, a triangle or a non-euclidian geometry figure.

If you have a good alignment with them it's fine, but AIs don't give you that luxury of having pathing that makes sense. So yeah the WHM will get chewed on.

IF YOU DIDN'T WANNA GET CHEWED ON, DON'T DUNGEON. (unless you get hit with a tank buster in which case I'm so, so sorry ;.; )

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 03-15-2016

I've like. . . Never even noticed this regen aggro issue. . . And I've mained tank like two thirds of the two years I've been around.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 03-15-2016

I always click off Regen before pulling. Better to be safe than sorry. Smile

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Whisper Bexley - 03-20-2016

Lately, i've done more tanking as a Ninja then actual tanks have tanked.  Not only do i rip aggro off these "Tanks" but i manage to freakin hold it and nothing frustrates me more then holding aggro as a NIN. I am level 47 and thats my highest so far. When i do get good tanks i /never/ have issues with aggro and getting it. Im not sure if its my luck in dungeon finders recently or just the level but never have i ever tanked so much recently..I might lower my DPS output just to not out do the tank. It could be the way its set-up in later levels but warriors shouldn't struggle with aggro that hard..hell i forget to use huton 90% of the time.anyway venting out.

Kudos to the healers that manage to keep all their groups alive too!.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 03-20-2016

(03-15-2016, 10:38 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:

Overpower's a finicky piece of shit of an attack that can't decide if it's a cone, a triangle or a non-euclidian geometry figure.

If you have a good alignment with them it's fine, but AIs don't give you that luxury of having pathing that makes sense. So yeah the WHM will get chewed on.

IF YOU DIDN'T WANNA GET CHEWED ON, DON'T DUNGEON. (unless you get hit with a tank buster in which case I'm so, so sorry ;.; )

Speaking of pathing, you know that tortoise/caterpillar trash mob immediately after fighting the first boss of Saint Mocianne's Arboretum? I defy any person to get that Tortoise to line up properly for an Overpower or for the sake of Raw Intuition. Every time I try to get all 3 in a convex in front of me, that Tortoise seems to be nudged by gravitational forces or the hands of some cruel god to my flank.