Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 03-20-2016

(03-20-2016, 11:32 AM)Edgar Wrote:
(03-15-2016, 10:38 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote:
(03-14-2016, 12:50 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Is it that big of a misstep though? If I've got regen on, I just run into aggro instead of Lobbing first. Things target me, then target the healer, and by then I've already used Flash and Circle of Scorn to take back the meager bit of enmity established. Overpower would presumably work as well, and so does DRKspammycirclewhooshthingy.

Overpower's a finicky piece of shit of an attack that can't decide if it's a cone, a triangle or a non-euclidian geometry figure.

If you have a good alignment with them it's fine, but AIs don't give you that luxury of having pathing that makes sense. So yeah the WHM will get chewed on.

IF YOU DIDN'T WANNA GET CHEWED ON, DON'T DUNGEON. (unless you get hit with a tank buster in which case I'm so, so sorry ;.; )

Speaking of pathing, you know that tortoise/caterpillar trash mob immediately after fighting the first boss of Saint Mocianne's Arboretum? I defy any person to get that Tortoise to line up properly for an Overpower or for the sake of Raw Intuition. Every time I try to get all 3 in a convex in front of me, that Tortoise seems to be nudged by gravitational forces or the hands of some cruel god to my flank.

That tortoise is why I don't use Raw Intuition on that pull.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 03-23-2016

Also regarding the Arbortoreum, but for differing reason...

Dear healer, as much as you want to apparently talk on the phone and chat with our SMN about drinking in text chat... please at least do your job so I'm not having to burn Holmgang on trash pulls. Furthermore, when I mention the lack of healing, the proper response is to apologize - not "you're a Warrior, you can heal yourself."

Which, while true, is something I only have so much of - especially when your obliviousness aggros more mobs for me to pull off you and tank. So please do your job and save the banter for when I'm above 25% HP. Preferably 75%, 90% if you're feeling feisty. Otherwise, just don't queue - I need a healer that will heal, not letting me die on the second boss because you, and I quote "dnt pay att."

Thank you.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 03-24-2016

World of Darkness seems to attract all kinds I feel... From the tank who had no intention of main tanking, yet kept themselves in Shield Oath the entire time and nearly killed the entire raid several times because they swung the boss around to do a huge AOE. To another tank who was legitimately PISSED that anyone would want to main tank as if it was their Yoshi-P given right to do so. To healers who weren't really very good but then turned around to bitch about where I put my pets in the last boss (on heel) and fettering Cerberus 'too early'.
Good experience from 50-53, but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore honestly. Dodgy

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 03-25-2016

I will confess to having been one of the people who would get cranky (but never enough to bitch someone out in party) about fettering Cerb very quickly. He gives you a solid several seconds to just wail on him without fear of reprisals or raid damage, and ending it early always seemed weird to me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 03-25-2016

(03-25-2016, 10:09 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: I will confess to having been one of the people who would get cranky (but never enough to bitch someone out in party) about fettering Cerb very quickly. He gives you a solid several seconds to just wail on him without fear of reprisals or raid damage, and ending it early always seemed weird to me.

Coordination difficulties between what are essentially 24 random players of disparate skill levels. In such a scenario and in such an environment, the "safe" option is almost always preferable to the "efficient/optimal" option. It's not as though World of Darkness is cutting-edge progression where you need to eke out every point of damage possible in a certain time frame.

tl;dr: unrestrained doggy scary doggy, will wipe bads for food.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kilieit - 03-29-2016

What sort of tank goes into an MSQ-required dungeon run, sees "one or more players is new to this duty", sees that his party members (including the healer) are below level sync and undergeared...

...then makes HUGE speedrun pulls??

I swear, I know I'm not the best dragoon (I live up to all the stereotypes about standing in AoE's and falling off cliffs haha) but I could hardly get a skill in edgeways for how many AoE's were stacked under the huge trash pulls he was making. The healer was constantly OOM, the bard was constantly switching between TP and MP songs because we were ALL constantly out, and the tank wouldn't even wait until we finished one pull before running on and fetching the next. He just. Kept. Pulling.

And then he pulled the last boss during the cinematic, because of course he did... >_>

Like, I guess he wasn't an ASSHOLE, and we did clear. But it was still stressful and a bit of a wtf.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 03-29-2016

I have had a MSQ run with a heal that was just the worst. Guy ran ahead of tanks because "lol it's MSQ chill mate", started pulling everything, stressing the tanks out, then of course since we both were WhM we are obviously the best DPS class for that so HolyHolyHoly, which means the tanks can't get the aggro back...

I stopped healing him after 2 times he did it. And he kept doing it all along, dying half of the time. After a while asking him to stop and being answered "you salty mate? lol" everyone just let him do his thing and die every time...

And eventually messing with Livia's mechanics and killing all the mortars...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nako Vesh - 03-29-2016

(03-14-2016, 02:45 PM)S Wrote: Markers and stuff kind of bug me when I'm dpsing cause I hate the feeling of the tank thinking I'm so stupid I need to be directed what to attack. 

Undecided... I think you might be reading into marks too much. I mark for efficiency, not stupidity. If the whole group immediately knows what to start focusing first then things die faster. It also makes it easier for me when the whole party is attacking my first target. Nothing annoys me more than when I Shield Lob a mob (always marked 1) as I'm running toward its group, and before I'm even in range to Flash, some dingus is going crazy on a different mob. Plus I like to do my RoH debuff rotation on difficult mobs around me, and the marks help me keep track of that.

If I have a heavy AoE group I don't bother marking, everything's going to die so fast anyway! Big Grin

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 03-29-2016

That moment when you finally get into a fucking dungeon. So you can get swiftcast because apparently it's Provoke levels of important. 

But whoop de fucking do you get dc'd.

And worse. 

Every.

Time.

You try to relog. 
Hell even just reconnect to the server.

You're smacked with every Lobby server connection error.

Ever.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Paradox - 03-30-2016

I get when tanks want to speedrun. And generally I'm fine with that.

But when a tank speedruns to the point they pull trash after trash back to back without letting their TP regen, then can't do anything, and everything leaps on the healer or BLM as a result. Well.

I can't even.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - GhostlyMaiden - 04-12-2016

I'm running Stone Vigil because I gotta do it for MSQ progression on Kana. Everything was mostly fine and we were pushing on pretty strong until we got to the dragon boss......
That was very specific....The dragon boss that has the canons and tornadoes, yeah, that one!

Our BLM was dealing with the cannons and doing a pretty good job of staying on top of that. Our BLM dies because the healer was neglecting to heal them while they had a DoT debuff active. To try and keep things going, I run to take care of cannons (because that healer was not moving). I die because I wasn't healed and I didn't get to the cannon in time.

While the healer and tank are still active I made the comment, "At this level, I think the healer can rez during a fight". They didn't answer and who knows, maybe i'm wrong. We wipe and once I respawn, I see that our healer is gone.

>_>
<_<

Okay, maybe it was a blessing that they left, but that didn't make me any less irritated. It takes a few minutes, but we eventually get an AST and everything went smoothly.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 04-12-2016

(04-12-2016, 01:17 PM)GhostlyMaiden Wrote: -snip-

Healers can definitely raise during battle by then, but the same issues would probably have continued with the initial healer. Chances are, their gear and possibly playstyle just wasn't good enough to keep up with the dungeon, which hits pretty hard. WHMs definitely get an advantage in that they can do their big bursty heals and use esuna on the debuffs, while being -used- to using esuna on debuffs. SCH gets leeches at......40? It's completely possible that if you had a SCH, they may not have been up to date on their class quests, mixed with everything else.

As for the dragon, do you remember where the tank was tanking it? I like to pull it right to the door, since the tornadoes rarely move there. Helps take some of the edge off for the healer.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - McBeefâ„¢ - 04-12-2016

I learned what the term "Tilted" meant last night (at least in the context of FFXIV).

I get tilted a lot.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Askier - 04-12-2016

Having tanked, been killed, AND resurrected during the fight mentioned above before, I am proof that yes, yes they can. lol

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 04-12-2016

Stone Vigil has some dirty tricks up its sleeve considering that there's really only one bullshit situation in Cutter's Cry before it (or Brayflox, if you're only doing MSQ dungeons).

Nothing like a level 38 Scholar Healer and needing to deal with Sludge the hard way.