Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 08-16-2016

(08-16-2016, 09:26 AM)Kage Wrote: I play MNK when I feel lazy because it's sorta fun but I also know I'm not the best at it and I can't carry a shitty dps in light parties.

As in, I was in a Hullbreaker HM with a healer who was the type to overheal and run around and jump because they would rather do that for whatever reason and a not good bard.

I actually found out that the mobs in the first boss are not actually WAVES. THEY ARE ON A TIMER. AS IN... YOU CAN ACTUALLY STILL BE KILLING  THE 3 MOBS AND THE COEURL WILL SHOW UP

I lazy-queue as a SMN! More so these days because I'm worn out from work and just want to push buttons and get the roulettes over with.

Also, I didn't know those mobs were on a timer. Though, I suppose it makes sense. I mean, the guy at the second boss is already keeping track of how quickly you finish that fight - his dialogue changes depending on how fast or slow you do it, after all.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 08-16-2016

(08-16-2016, 09:30 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 09:26 AM)Kage Wrote: I play MNK when I feel lazy because it's sorta fun but I also know I'm not the best at it and I can't carry a shitty dps in light parties.

As in, I was in a Hullbreaker HM with a healer who was the type to overheal and run around and jump because they would rather do that for whatever reason and a not good bard.

I actually found out that the mobs in the first boss are not actually WAVES. THEY ARE ON A TIMER. AS IN... YOU CAN ACTUALLY STILL BE KILLING  THE 3 MOBS AND THE COEURL WILL SHOW UP

I lazy-queue as a SMN! More so these days because I'm worn out from work and just want to push buttons and get the roulettes over with.

Also, I didn't know those mobs were on a timer. Though, I suppose it makes sense. I mean, the guy at the second boss is already keeping track of how quickly you finish that fight - his dialogue changes depending on how fast or slow you do it, after all.
I have not had many DF runs that are quick enough to get it but yep he does have different dialogue. It goes something like "Oh the sirens were too much for you?" and then something like "Bested the sirens already?" if you get there I think before 80 min left on the timer. But I did have one last night! Big Grin

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 08-16-2016

(08-16-2016, 09:38 AM)Kage Wrote:
(08-16-2016, 09:30 AM)Gegenji Wrote:

I have not had many DF runs that are quick enough to get it but yep he does have different dialogue. It goes something like "Oh the sirens were too much for you?" and then something like "Bested the sirens already?" if you get there I think before 80 min left on the timer. But I did have one last night! Big Grin
*hums at being one of Kage's Hullbreaker experiences* I'm so sick of Hullbreaker at this point. Though I usually have the problem of getting a lazy DRG or BRD and stance dancing to make things go by faster.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 08-16-2016

(08-16-2016, 10:59 AM)Lililove Wrote: *hums at being one of Kage's Hullbreaker experiences* I'm so sick of Hullbreaker at this point. Though I usually have the problem of getting a lazy DRG or BRD and stance dancing to make things go by faster.
But i liked that run!

-always stares at the fellow melee when they single target when there are 4 or more enemies- THROW SOME AOEs IN GDI

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Wobblegong - 08-20-2016

Speaking of unenthusiastic Hullbreaker HM pugs....

I got saucy the other day and Ex rou solo-queued as DPS. (SMN, my well-geared/practiced main, because I had a shred of self-preservation instinct remaining.) My logic was, I believe in our savior Quelling Strikes and there's an ilvl minimum on the roulette, the pugs will be fine!

Zone in, buffs up, alright first pull! Aaaaand I pull aggro 10 seconds in. Ok... run it back to the tank, and keep doing that as I pull another thing then the first thing again and on and on. But eventually the pull was done. Check the tank's buff bar, oops, no stance! But they turned it on now, everything will be fine.

Next pull: I pull again. The healer also pulls aggro. (The healer was a SCH.)

By around pull 3 or 4 I was so flummoxed that I turned ye olde parsere on just because... what else could I do to get answers? The tank was running at the mobs! And they had gear equal to mine! What even!

Painful story short, I was 46% of the party's damage that run. The SCH was another 20%. You will note that that leaves about 34%! This was split evenly between the PLD tank and the DRG, with the PLD doing slightly more.

My only regret... besides the obvious ones... is that the healer booked it the moment Mistbeard cried uncle and I didn't comm them in time. Thank you, strange healer, wherever you are... ACN bros4lyfe.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-20-2016

(08-20-2016, 05:25 PM)Wobblegong Wrote: Speaking of unenthusiastic Hullbreaker HM pugs....

I got saucy the other day and Ex rou solo-queued as DPS. (SMN, my well-geared/practiced main, because I had a shred of self-preservation instinct remaining.) My logic was, I believe in our savior Quelling Strikes and there's an ilvl minimum on the roulette, the pugs will be fine!

Zone in, buffs up, alright first pull! Aaaaand I pull aggro 10 seconds in. Ok... run it back to the tank, and keep doing that as I pull another thing then the first thing again and on and on. But eventually the pull was done. Check the tank's buff bar, oops, no stance! But they turned it on now, everything will be fine.

By around pull 3 or 4 I was so flummoxed that I turned ye olde parsere on just because... what else could I do to get answers? The tank was running at the mobs! And they had gear equal to mine! What even!

Painful story short, I was 46% of the party's damage that run. The SCH was another 20%. You will note that that leaves about 34%! This was split evenly between the PLD tank and the DRG, with the PLD doing slightly more.

My only regret... besides the obvious ones... is that the healer booked it the moment Mistbeard cried uncle and I didn't comm them in time. Thank you, strange healer, wherever you are... ACN bros4lyfe.
Iunno man, when were you under the impression that you weren't actually the tank?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 08-20-2016

(08-20-2016, 10:46 PM)Aaron Wrote:
(08-20-2016, 05:25 PM)Wobblegong Wrote: Speaking of unenthusiastic Hullbreaker HM pugs....

Iunno man, when were you under the impression that you weren't actually the tank?

SMN is a tank. Like, don't you pay attention to the meta?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 08-23-2016

>Queue up for storyline roulette, get Meridianum.
>Tell people to fire all cannons at once.
>Get told "don't make it overcomplicated" by the noobs

Waiting to fire all cannons at once is overcomplicated?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 05:33 PM)Valence Wrote: >Queue up for storyline roulette, get Meridianum.

OMG. You have to STOP ASKING for people to be coordinated in any manner!!!!!! How else are they supposed to have all the mobs destroy all the cannons around the map and make the instance longer and more difficult?! Livia's wet-noodle attacks could almost wipe a party!

In the event it's not apparent, some sarcasm has been employed.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edgar - 08-23-2016

(08-23-2016, 07:05 PM)Unnamed Mercenary Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 05:33 PM)Valence Wrote: >Queue up for storyline roulette, get Meridianum.

OMG. You have to STOP ASKING for people to be coordinated in any manner!!!!!! How else are they supposed to have all the mobs destroy all the cannons around the map and make the instance longer and more difficult?! Livia's wet-noodle attacks could almost wipe a party!

In the event it's not apparent, some sarcasm has been employed.

The sad thing is, I can imagine having a party where someone would say that and be completely serious. Some of mine have been that way as of late.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sunwins - 08-23-2016

I triggered myself a few days ago with my own stupidity.

So, I have this character who used to be a ninja, but I put that aside in favour of leveling AST on him. I have both classes now at 60, but discarded a bunch of my Ninja armour to free up space in my armoury chest. I had to do a difficult dungeon for the MSQ, and decided to make it easier on my party and go DPS. I equipped everything that was high level, and bought a few pieces to complete the outfit and keep my average item level high, but I forgot to equip my soul stone.

SO, I zone into my trial as a level 60 rogue, and realise what I've done when I don't have my ninjitsu. I tried to equip my soulstone, but ofc you can't change classes in a dungeon. So I'm just kind of.. standing there, frozen, hoping no one notices my tiny failure of a self. I kept edging behind the giant Auri tank hoping to make myself invisible (I saw one of the healers target me but if she noticed what I'd done she didn't say anything).

No one said anything. The tank pulled, and the trial failed (probs because of me) on our first try. The tank left, which gave me an opening to flee before anyone noticed. I'm still so mortified lkfdlfkj. Ever since then I've been SO CAREFUL when class-swapping before going into a queue.

If anyone was in that trial, pls forgive me.

Ideally I should've left straight away but it was about 3am, for some reason it didn't occur to me at the time.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 08-23-2016

I wouldn't have thought that a level 60 Rogue would be that weak.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 08-23-2016

The stat bonus and job-exclusive skills from a 60 jobstone matter a lot!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 08-24-2016

(08-23-2016, 10:53 PM)Sunwins Wrote: snip

You know, I used to go into the Crystal Tower 24 man raids in a party of people without soulstones equipped. It was still a faceroll.

While being a job certainly makes a lot of things easier and gives you a wider variety of skills and gear, it shouldn't make the duty impossible provided you've got a tank, healers (so basically CNJ if it's everyone) and DPS to handle everything. Just like a single person isn't going to wipe an entire trial unless the Tanks can't tank, Healers can't heal and all of the DPS combined still can't hit the minimum DPS checks.

It may have been a bit embarrassing, but I doubt you single-handedly caused anything that drastic.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 08-24-2016

Yeah man what Franz said. When Frontlines first came out WARs dropping their soulstones to go MRD was crazy popular. You definitely lose out on a lot of stats and skills with no job (muh Huton) but if you wiped on a trial (or was it a 4-man dungeon? I'm confused) it's because some people in your group had rocks for brains, not because you did less damage than you usually do. Shit man, half the time I get into groups with Ninjas they don't even use Huton, or let it drop off constantly, which IMO is way worse than forgetting to equip your soulstone. Really brings my piss to a boil.