Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 09-08-2016

I'm not at all interested in FF as a series (in fact, I only paid for XIV after giving it three chances and it was mostly the presence of friends in the game that got me to stay). I'd say the only reason I know anything about the past titles has been just absorbing it over time that I've been playing video games in general.

If someone who's 12 and is playing XIV as their first MMO, I could see how they might not know anything about FF games earlier than, say, XIII.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 05:49 PM)Jana Wrote: If someone who's 12 and is playing XIV as their first MMO, I could see how they might not know anything about FF games earlier than, say, XIII.

Not to mention they may simply just not be interested in the previous titles. They're not strictly needed for FFXIV to be enjoyed. And that's pretty much what the game comes down to eventually.

The references are there for the people who'll enjoy them. Otherwise, they're just parts of the game and can be good on their own. FFXIV has a lot of references, but knowing about the Antlion Cave in FFIV doesn't make Cutter's Cry any easier, as an example.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 09-08-2016

If there was a Suikoden or Wild ARMS MMO I would be playing that instead of this. FF is maybe third tier in terms of important RPG franchises for me, but I coincidentally happen to enjoy this game. The only reason why I get references is because of obsessive wiki-diving habits. Otherwise I probably played more of Live A Live than most of the titles those references come from, as far as SNES/NES-era Square goes. That's why I can understand someone not getting earlier references. PS1-era Square brought in a lot of fans for the first time. Before the PS1 I played sidescrolling games like Megaman, and in the arcades, not RPGs. Not everyone grew up with the same gaming experience I guess.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 04:47 PM)Cecily Jisi Wrote: And if your knowledge on past FF titles is lacking, I will be happy to teach you! Big Grin
Doing a lil bit too much there aren't you? Calm down a bit.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 12:37 PM)Kage Wrote: Yes, damage affects your hate/aggro generation. Having low gear will affect that, definitely.

Even when gear is synced down?

FFXIV is my first FF game. I've never played any of the others. But I thought that the lore etc. was different for each game, so FFXIV was a stand alone. I have no time to play the previous iterations; I'm too busy playing XIV (my sims are suffering because of this). Tongue

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 10:53 PM)Charity322 Wrote:
(09-08-2016, 12:37 PM)Kage Wrote: Yes, damage affects your hate/aggro generation. Having low gear will affect that, definitely.

Yeah. Because even synced down it's either as good as the best gear you could have at that level... or better. I forget which. So you're dealing with effectively "optimally" geared folks throwing out big numbers that you have to deal with in your likely hodgepodge set of leveling gear. Though, hopefully, if folks know you're a new tank they should try and keep it in their pants until you have solid aggro.

Emphasis on should. Since some folks like to explode right out of the gate regardless of situation. Even in an Alexander Midas 1 that I got into on Mentor roulette... we had a new-to-the-fight tank who couldn't even get the boss into the corner because two of the DPS decided going whole hog from the get go was the best plan. Even after it got them killed in every attempt they did it.

Needless to say, the instance was ultimately vote-abandoned and I got to enjoy waiting in the Mentor queue again.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 09-08-2016

(09-08-2016, 10:53 PM)Charity322 Wrote:

FFXIV is my first FF game. I've never played any of the others. But I thought that the lore etc. was different for each game, so FFXIV was a stand alone. I have no time to play the previous iterations; I'm too busy playing XIV (my sims are suffering because of this). Tongue

Some nice blue or purple (even green and pink) icon gear is gonna sync with much nicer stats than item-level equivalent white gear or at-level white gear. Generally, a tank can kinda get away with not having super-amazing gear as long as they have a decent enough weapon (or enough armor to make up the difference) and know how to use their skills and cooldowns effectively. But let's say a fresh tank enteres their first Sastasha and is maybe a whole i10 on average and gets mixed with a bunch of end game players? Their synced gear is gonna make it rough and sneezing in the direction of an enemy could rip it off the tank who's getting started.

RE: Other Final Fantasy games, they share common themes, but no two numbered games have ever been the same, shared the same plot or had the same characters. (There are usually moogles, and crystals and some guy named Cid who deals with airships/transportation of some sort though!) So there story in FFXIV is not going to be seen anywhere else. Now, the MMO does pull elements from other games, but it's much more like references and callbacks. They're not directly importing another game's story or plot and rigging it into Hydaelyn. A lot of people enjoy the previous titles, which have been ported over to a variety of more modern consoles and devices. (Quite a few have mobile phone ports, but they may suffer from upscaled graphics or other modifications). If you're the sort of person who has odd pockets of free time while not around a computer, I'd recommend picking one up for your phone and seeing how it goes!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 09-09-2016

Mmm with ilvl30 gear in Cutter's Cry I can see why you might have had some issues. You would need to spend much more time actually making sure you get aggro and regain it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 09-09-2016

If you have some Grand Company seals, I would suggest to invest them into Grand Company gear at your level. Those are really good, even better than your usual green/pink dungeon stuff since their ilevel is one or two levels higher than their base level. And they synergize together with bonuses.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Saravahn - 09-09-2016

So apparently Wiping City is holding true to its name, now. I feel like groups are doing worse now than they did on launch day. I haven't gotten past the second boss in about a week and a half now...

It's really quite depressing since I only need one more penny for my plans... -_-

(09-09-2016, 06:49 AM)Roderick Wrote: So apparently Wiping City is holding true to its name, now. I feel like groups are doing worse now than they did on launch day. I haven't gotten past the second boss in about a week and a half now...

It's really quite depressing since I only need one more penny for my plans... -_-
It's funny because the one run I'd run on Tuesday I had had 1 wipe on arachne, 1 on Forgall because other melee in my alliance can't keep their stuns in check and people with silences don't bother, 2 on Ozma before the people who were being shitty and left, and then all we had to deal with was a tank who thought it was better to turn Calo (isn't bad until the last phase where ranged are most likely to get haircut cleaves when trying to dodge the axe/clubs etc)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Ruran - 09-09-2016

Yeah, I've been having Weeping City woes as well. It seems like I can't get into a group in the past few weeks who don't wipe on Forgall/Ozma/Calofisteri at least once (often 2-3 times each) due to little mistakes like not killing adds or tanking them correctly.

In one instance, the bickering over the alliance chat was so bad that no one was focusing on the fight. A bunch of people were being petty, insulting each other, comparing epeens. :I Eventually a Vote Abandon succeeded at Ozma, after the alliance wiped 4 times.

What's going onnnn

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 09-09-2016

I'm wondering if it's just that whole lapse of "the higher skill players got their stuff and have all moved on." It's something that always seems to happen at one point or another - the players got their gear and dropped it so you're left with, well, "the dregs." The new, the lazy, and so on. The coins kept folks coming back for a bit longer... but you're still going to see the drop once the players have their full kit upgraded - and even the addition of weapon upgrade adds only one more week unless they're going for multiples.

And I'm mostly speaking from experience because that's what I did. Once I had my full healer set upgraded, I dropped running those raids because that's an hour+ of time I could better spend elsewhere. Time management and all that. Also why I always tried to knock them out on a Tuesday, on some (possibly confirmation biased) belief that the more serious players would also be trying to knock it out as soon as possible to upgrade their raid gear for that week's attempts.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 09-09-2016

(09-09-2016, 12:24 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I'm wondering if it's just that whole lapse of "the higher skill players got their stuff and have all moved on." It's something that always seems to happen at one point or another - the players got their gear and dropped it so you're left with, well, "the dregs." The new, the lazy, and so on.
Can totes agree with this. While I no longer run the raids, I have a few friends still getting glamour pieces and it's all they're running into. In the last two or three weeks I've heard nothing but stories about the incompetence of those in Wiping City of Salt.

Pretty sure most of gotten their alts geared and have stopped while it's always just rushed on Tuesdays.

Even then, on tuesdays you will find some derps.