Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 10-25-2016

I did an expert run in Gubal Hard. I notice that the mentor AST is not casting protect... So I'm waiting a bit, then after the first fight I ask if we could get one... I get told "I didn't take it".

At that point I silently pursued my lips (I'm a mentor too), and carry on... The Bard doesn't care about AoEs, or is pretty bad at avoiding them. They die a few times. The tank, also isn't able to keep correctly aggro, and it was certainly me ripping it off him since the bard wasn't doing much damage. And I used quelling strikes as much as I could.

The heal also ripped aggro (honestly, a heal ripping aggro at that level?). They die. Tank die. I cast a vote to kick the AST and get asked by the two others "Why??". I shrug it off and carry on.

We die a few more times, especially on bosses (that heal was really awful). Somehow I get 3 comms, so I concluded they were all in party together and somehow... I don't even. Bleh.

Oh and just after for good measure, I pray for not Sastasha in leveling roulette, I get sastash with a tank that was in full 1-10 lvl grey gear with no right side accessories. As I was leveling AST, I can't even properly switch to cleric since he can die in less than 3 hits from those squishy NPCs... I come to be actually relieved when it's me or the DPS ripping aggro and tanking since it's way easier to heal and I can DPS in the meantime...

To his credit, the guy wasn't really well informed and I told him to go visit the Smith immediately, and he was happy to learn about it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 10-26-2016

Since when have mass pulls in Sohm Al been a thing? Can someone inform me? Or is this one of those classic "welcome back, btw T2 enrage strat is a thing" moments?

I mean I guess I'd be more understanding if everyone was level synced from 60 and the dps comp wasn't a MCH and a MNK. Didn't help that the non-synced tank rarely ever used cooldowns and stood in AoE. Even without that, the trash mobs in there still hit hard. The run could have gone so much faster if he just pulled normally and let me focus on not-healing...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 10-26-2016

MCH and MNK are nice for AoE DPS though. Very few classes like DRG that are actually shit at that, as far as I know (but DRG is the only one I don't really know). Even NIN is decent at AoE DPS. Problem in leveling I find is that people just don't use their AoEs for some reason (even if the rotation is like, 100 times easier). Even AoE casters like black mages. It's a bit sad.

Your problem was mostly your tank I think, though yeah, those Heavensward dungeons can hit hard when you mass pull. Better for the tank to ask the heal if they are fine with it before.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 10-26-2016

A DOZEN FUCKING REROLLS ON MY KHLOE BOOK

NOT A SINGLE FUCKING LINE

SOMEONE DO THE MATH ON WHAT THOSE ODDS ARE

4X4 GRID, RANDOMLY ALIGNING 7 STICKERS.

NOT A SINGLE

FUCKING

LINE

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 10-26-2016

(10-26-2016, 03:18 AM)Valence Wrote: MCH and MNK are nice for AoE DPS though.
Sure, when they use it.

Edit: Thanks, phone. But yeah, there was none of that. Don't get me wrong it's not like I wasn't able to throw out some full-dotted Banes on each pull, I just wasn't able to do so as much as I usually like to. I'm fine with big pulls, but this kid was getting shit on constantly (no CDs... hrk). Should have gone as a WHM. Oh well... hindsight etc.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 10-27-2016

(10-26-2016, 08:21 PM)Goren Ghastille Wrote: A DOZEN FUCKING REROLLS ON MY KHLOE BOOK

NOT A SINGLE

FUCKING

LINE

[Image: 1Kt1uVE.png]
This was what I got earlier to today. My shrieks of rage were REAL. Dodgy

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 10-27-2016

(10-26-2016, 08:21 PM)Goren Ghastille Wrote: A DOZEN FUCKING REROLLS ON MY KHLOE BOOK

NOT A SINGLE

FUCKING

LINE
I already have the feeling that my Khloe book won't be much better...

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Valence - 10-27-2016

It happens a lot. Up until now I have had twice the no lines result, and once one single line.

When you shuffle stuff with 7 stickers and your reshuffle doesn't give any line at 7 stickers, there is always something like 40% or more chances that it still wields no result once at 9.

(10-26-2016, 09:31 PM)Edda Wrote:
(10-26-2016, 03:18 AM)Valence Wrote: MCH and MNK are nice for AoE DPS though.
Sure, when they use it.

Edit: Thanks, phone. But yeah, there was none of that. Don't get me wrong it's not like I wasn't able to throw out some full-dotted Banes on each pull, I just wasn't able to do so as much as I usually like to. I'm fine with big pulls, but this kid was getting shit on constantly (no CDs... hrk). Should have gone as a WHM. Oh well... hindsight etc.

Pretty sure WhM is even worse for that. Once your dots are up at least you can focus on healing. WhM needs to drop all DPS every time tank health go low, and with a tank like that, even with a boosted regen, it does very fast... :c

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caleria Amih - 10-27-2016

Ended up in Keeper of the Lake for a roulette and had, well... a rather trying time.  Me as DRG, with a BRD as second DPS, and a couple I can only describe as Zippy the Wonder Tank and his bestest friend Skippy.  Both are running lalas and seem to know each other- interacting with emotes, burning pumpkin-head charms, throwing one round of Protect on three of four party members and leaving me out in the cold...

First boss comes and go, and our BRD ends up DC'ed, so we votekick.  Here's where things start going rather south- Zippy is apparently feeling his oats, so instead of taking five and waiting for a replacement DPS, off zooms Zippy with Skippy right behind him after both pop pumpkinhead charms.  We head on up and fight through a couple of groups of mobs by the skin of our teeth, and end up wiping when Skippy feels their oats and double-pulls two bunches of mobs. 

I start to type after we re-phase in, but Skippy is doing his best Sonic impersonation and I barely have time to refresh my food buff before I have to go bust up mobs to bail him out.  We come close to wiping after that, but the arrival of our replacement DPS bails us out.

I'm only one DPS, folks... I get right up in there and take my lumps, but there's only so much I can do by myself.  Protect and Stoneskin are my best friends, and leaving me without them gives me all the staying power of bathroom tissue in a boss fight., especially if I have to keep popping Mega-Potions just to stay in the fight.  I don't like playing chicken with bunches of mobs just because the tank is bouncing around like a sugar-stuffed over-caffinated lalafell and can't take a hint that hey, maybe we ought to take five and wait for another DPS so we're not taking every fight down to the line?

Second gripe... I admit that there are some dungeons out there with long movies- but the one kind of jerk I can't stand is anybody who tries to votekick a newbie who's watching the movies in Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium on their very first time through.  For the love of Eorzea, they'll have enough time to speedrun the whole place later and we're all so overgeared that we might just scuff our armor on the Ultima Weapon.  Let her watch the damned cutscenes if she wants- you only get one first time through the MSQ, and throw her a commendation or two at the end because your first time through deserves it.  Some of us like following the story instead of just watching numbers bounce around.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 10-27-2016

I'm really confused about this Keeper of the Lake run you had... because it's very easily done with just one DPS, so long as the healer is on top of their game and tank can both hold aggro and mitigate. Were Zippy and Skippy just... bad at their own roles? You mention lack of Protect/Stoneskin and needing to pop potions as a DRG... I assume the tank wasn't holding aggro worth a damn.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Virella - 10-27-2016

Man, Domri and I were running out 50 roulette, my on Vi as WHM, and Domri as MNK

this retarded ass fucking DRK, had the smart idea to pull the whole goddamn first room in snowcloak

WITHOUT

ANY

COOLDOWNS

Fuck me, I didn't even have time to regen the fucker, I just stood there screaming "Please cure II crit". He didn't die, but fuck me, DRK in ilevel 250 gear, and sucking that hard? I'm 100% sure that fucker sucked someone's dick to get that gear/carry because holy mother of fuck me in the ass, that was some topclass terrible tanking, popping no CDs and aggro going everywhere.

Oh and the killer on top of that, you wanna know our two DPS? Two fucking Monks. Like... yeah, okay bro, that AOE is going to be amazing for about 1 min before they run out of it and just stand there while you are still getting wailed onto by a shitton of mobs and run out of CDs- oh wait this fucker didn't do that anyhow

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 10-27-2016

I still can't believe people vote abandon after a single wipe in Final Steps of Faith.

A.

Single.

Wipe.

Honestly, I think the penalty for leaving should be WAY more severe. Make it an hour of no queuing or no rewards from the next duty or something. I don't understand why a person would enter something with no intention of at least trying. (Yeah, the DPS wasn't very good. We died on adds phase, but it wasn't terrible. We coulda won.)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Edda - 10-27-2016

(10-27-2016, 03:45 AM)Valence Wrote: Pretty sure WhM is even worse for that. Once your dots are up at least you can focus on healing. WhM needs to drop all DPS every time tank health go low, and with a tank like that, even with a boosted regen, it does very fast... :c
Nah, I find DPSing on WHM with a bad tank is a lot easier, since you can just Eye for an Eye + Divine Seal + Regen + Asylum (if applicable) and just go to town with Holy. They'll go down during the first cast but with stuns going out the hots will generally knock them right back up to full. Admittedly I am much better at WHM than I am at SCH, but ever since they changed Lustrate I don't feel I can rely so heavily on Eos with bad tanks as I used to.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 10-27-2016

(10-27-2016, 03:45 AM)Valence Wrote: Pretty sure WhM is even worse for that. Once your dots are up at least you can focus on healing. WhM needs to drop all DPS every time tank health go low, and with a tank like that, even with a boosted regen, it does very fast... :c

Over a longer fight WHM and SCH dps can usually even out, but for large AoE bursts like that WHM will probably win out. Yes, WHMs have to stop dps to heal, but it takes a SCH roughly 10~sec to get all of their DoTs up, with 3 of the 5 being delayed on AoE targets at least 5-6 seconds until you can Bane them all. Then another 15-30 seconds before they tick for full damage. A WHM can easily burn 4ish Holys in that same first 10s and then swap over to a quick burst heal and then swap back to dps 5s later if they desire. Back and forth. If damage is actually that severe that a Roused Selene (or Eos I guess?) cannot hold a tank up for at least rouse's duration on her own, then that SCH is probably going to have to drop out of Cleric for a much longer period to pop the tank back up to a safe level than it would take a WHM. Meanwhile we'll just have dots going, catching up to the damage a WHM would've already dealt by this point.

(Obviously not saying one healer better than the other or that one can't out dps the other or out heal the other, just that the two jobs have vastly different strengths and playstyles, and AoEing trash down quickly is just one of those things WHM is pretty great at.)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 10-27-2016

(10-27-2016, 12:49 PM)Virella Wrote: WITHOUT

ANY

COOLDOWNS

Why did I read this as 'without any condoms'?