Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 07-05-2017

(07-05-2017, 08:37 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 08:22 AM)Aaron Wrote: In any case ima vent about the game uninstalling when I put the thing in rest mode. Fuck you man, now I gotta wait several hours to redownload it.

... I... what? How did you manage that?
Idk the game uninstalls randomly for PS4 players if you put it in rest mode and god forbid the dog accidentally yanks the cord out while he sleeps under the table.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Yian Kutku - 07-05-2017

(07-05-2017, 10:07 AM)Aaron Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 08:37 AM)Gegenji Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 08:22 AM)Aaron Wrote: In any case ima vent about the game uninstalling when I put the thing in rest mode. Fuck you man, now I gotta wait several hours to redownload it.

... I... what? How did you manage that?
Idk the game uninstalls randomly for PS4 players if you put it in rest mode and god forbid the dog accidentally yanks the cord out while he sleeps under the table.

Known issue, yes. Official Lodestone post, although it's annoyingly terse and doesn't really say anything we don't already know.

Square Enix claims it's Sony's problem.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 07-05-2017

I'm going to vent about these stupid DDOS attacks. One of my friends can't even get into the game because of them. And they appear to be unstoppable. DX

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Desu Nee - 07-05-2017

I just want a goddamn susanoo weapon is that too much to ask

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-05-2017

(07-05-2017, 09:37 PM)Charity322 Wrote: I'm going to vent about these stupid DDOS attacks. One of my friends can't even get into the game because of them. And they appear to be unstoppable. DX

That's....sorta the point of a DDoS attack. But if you're friend can't login, I think there's something else going on there. a DDoS is a form of denial of service. Basically, groups of likely virus-infected computers were ordered to spam connections at either specific SE servers or the datacenter in general. This basically eats up bandwidth at the least and can crash servers if they make it past firewalls/routers. Typically, they slow things down or max out connection limits, which creates horrible performance for people connected. But that's the thing. One can't "fix" a DDoS attack. You either get stuck waiting, try to change IPs, or wait for the source to be found and shut it down. For companies (like SE and the one I work for), this usually means the first thing as changing the IP isn't sustainable. And waiting for a botnet to either get "found" or for legal action to happen is pretty...unlikely. Eventually, firewalls do get put in place to block known bad traffic, but it can take a lot of time to determine which connections qualify as "bad" when there are often hundreds of thousands of them.

Your friend would probably be better off running a trace route to the Aether datacenter (or datacenter they play on) to see if there's a particular path that's bad. It's usually a mark of poor internet service or faulty hardware.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Yian Kutku - 07-09-2017

Just went on a Syrcus Tower run, my very first. Fairly good Alliance, no salt, mechanics explanations in Alliance chat, everyone pulled their weight.

Except for one person on our team, Alliance C.

She was a Ninja, level synched down, so she's at least 50+. She has a sprout icon. She did a bit of emote spam whenever we stopped before a boss, as well as pop several of the Magicked Prism stuff, but I didn't really think much of it. She also tended to wander off on her own instead of staying with our team, but maybe she's new.

As the run went on, I noticed that she was taking a curious amount of damage. She was pretty much the only person in the entire Alliance who needed to be rezzed, multiple times. I assumed this was because she was one of those players who didn't bother to move out of avoidable AoEs.

Finally, at the last boss, after spending most of my GCDs trying to keep her up, I decided to examine her gear.

Show Content

That's the Best Man outfit. It's not a glamour. It's the actual Best Man outfit equipped.

I don't even know.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Unnamed Mercenary - 07-09-2017

(07-09-2017, 11:58 AM)Yian Kutku Wrote: Just went on a Syrcus Tower run, my very first. Fairly good Alliance, no salt, mechanics explanations in Alliance chat, everyone pulled their weight.

Except for one person on our team, Alliance C.

She was a Ninja, level synched down, so she's at least 50+. She has a sprout icon. She did a bit of emote spam whenever we stopped before a boss, as well as pop several of the Magicked Prism stuff, but I didn't really think much of it. She also tended to wander off on her own instead of staying with our team, but maybe she's new.

As the run went on, I noticed that she was taking a curious amount of damage. She was pretty much the only person in the entire Alliance who needed to be rezzed, multiple times. I assumed this was because she was one of those players who didn't bother to move out of avoidable AoEs.

Finally, at the last boss, after spending most of my GCDs trying to keep her up, I decided to examine her gear.

Show Content

That's the Best Man outfit. It's not a glamour. It's the actual Best Man outfit equipped.

I don't even know.

That's pretty amazing. I hope someone lets her know about the glamour system. Luckily, hitting minimum item level will pick up and she won't be able to progress much further, even with i130 gear.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - H.H. - 07-11-2017

i have raised more as a rdm than i ever have as an actual healer

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 07-11-2017

I'm a DRK, I was meant to take the pain and endure the suffering alone not fucking use Blackest Night on others to save them from the suffering I endure.

I am not Itachi the fuck? I don't wanna mitigate 20% of my hp I live to embrace the agony.

Also RDM & SAM are trash. Filthy DPS. 

(I'm joking, but I will never play either Dx)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 07:30 AM)H.H. Wrote: i have raised more as a rdm than i ever have as an actual healer

To be fair, it's almost stupidly easy to just toss out a Verraise as your Dualcast spell. I've actually raised both my tank and my healer in a 4 man run gone bad by Dualcasting the first Verraise and Swiftcasting the second. Plus, RDM is insanely MP efficient so you're never really hurting for MP.

The only thing you might be missing in tossing out the Verraise is another Verstone or Verfire Ready proc. Oh no. Tongue

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 07-11-2017

Oh, just to add a bit of venting of my own to this thread...

I think I came across my first obviously bad instance of someone who had used a jump potion.

Was doing 50/60 Roulette on RDM, and got the original Wanderer's Palace. Yay! AoE central with me being able to spam my Doublecast Scatters! ... Or so I thought.

Before we even pull, the DRK is barking some strange orders ("Don't run ahead." "Let me pull.") and those sorts of things. We just tell him to pull big because we had a good AoE group and he, thankfully, does so.

... but he doesn't use Unleash. At all. He continues to try and single-target damage when he has groups of 6+ enemies sitting on him. Or, sitting on him until anyone else does anything else to generate even the slightest bit of threat. I don't remember how the conversations that followed went exactly (this was last week or so and I didn't bother committing it to memory), but... I vaguely remember how it went.

At some point - a couple pulls in or so - I throw something out akin to "Hey tank, you have an AoE aggro move. Please use it." I forget if he ignores me at first or if he responded right away, but at some point he counters that he's level 60 and he got dropped to 50. Which... shouldn't matter, right? DRK "gets" Unleash at level... 16-ish? He should have it.

So by the first boss we (the other members of the group get in on this too at some point) are in this big debate with the guy. Use Unleash; "I don't have yet." Yes you do it's level 16, "DRK got changed with SB." No, I'm both looking at a wiki and I'm talking with a friend on DRK and you should still have it. Back and forth until we finally get him to realize we're not talking about his level 54 AoE health drain move, but Unleash... which we had been calling Unleash the whole time.

The healer literally copies and pastes the description for Unleash from a wiki or something and the guy finally says "Oh, yeah. I have that. Sorry, I thought you meant something else."

Fortunately, once he "realizes" he has Unleash and starts using it, the rest of the run goes... all right. Minus his obvious lack of understanding how the dungeon works even though there was no new player bonus and he was apparently a level 60 DRK. Still, the rest of us knew what we were doing and we clear it out well enough and I duck on out.

Not the biggest problem in the world, but it irked me that the guy fought with us tooth and nail about whether or not he had an ability that DRK "has" at level 16, and going so far as to proclaim that the SB expansion moved it to such a high level that he didn't have access to it anymore. Dazed

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 07-11-2017

Some people shouldn't play tanks.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Yian Kutku - 07-12-2017

(07-11-2017, 02:03 PM)Aaron Wrote: Some people shouldn't play tanks.

I ran three dungeons in a row with DRK as Tank.

In all three cases, their buff bar contained no buff icons apart from what was provided by myself as Healer, Darkside, and very occasionally Grit.

This is despite their mass-pulling.

I'm beginning to wonder if DRKs have any mitigation cooldowns to reduce damage.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Meena - 07-12-2017

Quote:"I play a firemage"

End me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Yian Kutku - 07-12-2017

(07-12-2017, 04:41 AM)Meena Wrote:
Quote:"I play a firemage"

I'd like to ask how, but I'm not sure I want to know the answer.