Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 08-01-2017

(08-01-2017, 11:54 AM)Valence Wrote: Seigan is a DPS gain over Shinten (200 potency for 15 kenki versus 300 potency for 25 kenki). It's a no brainer to use Seigan over Shinten whenever you can.

But that doesn't mean standing in shit all the time...

Also, from what I gather a 3 sen Hagakure is always more potency than a Kaiten boosted Midare.

I guess, but again - as you agree - it's not something you should actively be taking extra damage to use. If you have situations where you can use Third Eye to get it to proc, then by all means you should try to get that in there. I try it all the time with the final boss of Temple of the Fist and the aforementioned Omega fights. But purposefully running into stuff and eating cleaves and the like to get extra procs is where I draw the line.

Also, turning the 3 sen into Kenki is more valuable than doing a Midare? What? I mean, the +60 Kenki is useful and all... but is it really worth dropping a potential 30k-ish single target hit for that? Maybe if you have Guren off cooldown, but otherwise I don't think I've ever really been so low on Kenki that I needed that big of a boost to it.

... Maybe I'm just not spending enough of it. Either way, that's a discussion for elsewhere, I think.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-01-2017

3sen haga always takes priority over midare. and sam do have positionals so true north also helps. more kenki = more shintens or kyutens weaved in while building sens = more dps. if you ever hit 100 kenki (ie using 3sen haga at more than 40 kenki and causing waste) then you're not using shintens/kyutens enough

guren and ageha should always be on cd and kaiten should be applied to every iaijutsu, including higanbana. higanbana should be refreshed every minute. squeeze in meikyo as well after at least one 3sen cycle. meditate during phase changes. sam who don't maximize their kenki generation and usage will never break the stone sea sky statues outside rhalgr above 10secs left

(08-01-2017, 02:28 PM)Kieron Lohengrin Wrote: 3sen haga always takes priority over midare. and sam do have positionals so true north also helps. more kenki = more shintens or kyutens weaved in while building sens = more dps. if you ever hit 100 kenki (ie using 3sen haga at more than 40 kenki and causing waste) then you're not using shintens/kyutens enough

guren and ageha should always be on cd and kaiten should be applied to every iaijutsu, including higanbana. higanbana should be refreshed every minute. squeeze in meikyo as well after at least one 3sen cycle. meditate during phase changes. sam who don't maximize their kenki generation and usage will never break the stone sea sky statues outside rhalgr above 10secs left

Welp, I've been properly schooled. I looked up a "proper" damage rotation and that confirms the burning the 3-Sen for Kenki to get a bunch of Shintens oGCD. And I honestly never noticed that two of the three combo finishers actually require positionals for bonus Kenki. Go figure. At least I do Meditate during phase changes.

... Thaaaaat all said, "in front" is still not one of the positionals, so SAMs still shouldn't be sitting in front with the tank eating cleave damage. Angry

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-01-2017

I wish I knew what the hell I just read. Can't even pronounce half those skills. JFC

(08-01-2017, 02:40 PM)Aaron Wrote: I wish I knew what the hell I just read. Can't even pronounce half those skills. JFC

<drkspeak>I was not properly utilizing Samurai's Blood Gauge to maximize my phat deeps. And two of the combo finishers add additional Blood Gauge when done from either behind or to the side. I was unaware of this.</drkspeak>

However, SAM is still not DRK or any other tank so they should still not be hanging out with you in front of the boss. Or running around pulling things for you.

(I literally don't know how DRK works past 60. I just pulled up the DRK wiki, saw they had an energy gauge thing too, and ran with it for the sake of the joke.) Blush

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aaron - 08-01-2017

(08-01-2017, 02:50 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(08-01-2017, 02:40 PM)Aaron Wrote: I wish I knew what the hell I just read. Can't even pronounce half those skills. JFC

<drkspeak>I was not properly utilizing Samurai's Blood Gauge to maximize my phat deeps. And two of the combo finishers add additional Blood Gauge when done from either behind or to the side. I was unaware of this.</drkspeak>

However, SAM is still not DRK or any other tank so they should still not be hanging out with you in front of the boss. Or running around pulling things for you.

(I literally don't know how DRK works past 60. I just pulled up the DRK wiki, saw they had an energy gauge thing too, and ran with it for the sake of the joke.) Blush
That actually made much more sense to me LOL

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 08-01-2017

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think wtf. I don't think I'll try Samurai if it's that complicated lol.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - The Brigand - 08-01-2017

Am I the only one who felt Kugane was... underwhelming? After visiting Rhalgr's Reach and East End, which were absolutely breathtaking, I couldn't help but feel that the far East (and the journey there, for that matter) felt a little lackluster in comparison. Part of it might be the lighting, which seems somewhat flat, and maybe the lack of a backdrop for contrast? It sort of reminds me of the Chocobo "Forest," aka an ugly stretch of grass with a few gnarled trees. Tongue

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-02-2017

The engine's lighting issues can be fixed by using something like Stormshade. Although tbh I prefer Ishgard over Kugane because HW + Dragonsong war patches gave the pointy-ears so much pathos.

Reunion / Dawn Throne > Ishgard cities and ruins > Kugane > Eorzea cities > Rhalgr's. Honorable mention for the ruins of Doma. The city of Ala Mhigo itself doesn't even warrant a mention, it was that bland. Which is weird considering the buildup and how everyone wouldn't shut up and stop banging on about it

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 08-02-2017

I liked the Sharlayan city. That was really pretty.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-02-2017

Idyllshire? Yeah, it ranks up there along with Ishgard. Would really prefer housing there with the gobbies instead of Shirogane

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Caspar - 08-02-2017

I'm just glad to be somewhere that isn't castles and snow. I loathed Ishgard, its layout and the aesthetic of the region outside of Sea of Clouds, and I didn't give two Bolir buckets about its people. 

Overall, I think some areas of Gyr Abania were unexpectedly beautiful, like the reddish color of the sandstone and the desert flower fields. I like the Peaks most, but the city of Ala Mhigo itself looks wonderful, and it's hugely irritating we can't go back to the MSQ special zone near the end of SB. I don't care much for Rhalgr's Reach, but I do like Kugane. In Othard the area that looked nicest to me was the Azim Steppe. I get that the giant wall was kinda meant to be similar to the Great Wall, and I did like the huge amount of different elevations, but the large river basin littered with debris isn't as impressive looking because the wall obscures your vision-much like the xaelabowl in Azim Steppe, it seems like it was meant to make the area look larger by preventing you from looking from one end to the other. Which is fine, limited resources and all that, but it's much more intrusive in Yanxia. The idea itself however is good. (I'm kinda miffed Yanxia is Chinese in aesthetic but populated by Japanese-named characters, ninja and samurai, but that's another matter.)

To make that river basin area look more interesting, I would have put the large castrum tower in the distance much closer to us and maybe even make it a place we could visit, if not actually do much there. There should be much larger and more numerous wreckage. Alternatively, there ought to be more ruins than there were; you don't spend much time in the destroyed area around the castle and it's full of enemies, which is something of a drag.

Overall though I'm happy with the change of scenery and I hope the next expansion takes us to even more places that aren't generic western fantasy.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kieron Lohengrin - 08-20-2017

Not a bad experience, just an unusual one - queued to tank in expert roulette, got into Temple of the Fist. Healer said she's new, then asked us all to join her Discord. She proceeds to babble happily over voice chat the entire run, while still tossing out Cures and Stone IVs like a champ and telling me to make big pulls. Once we get to Ivon and kick his ass she does a little running lore commentary about the Coeurlfist title and the monk relic from way back in 2.0.

Decent healers are rare; top-tier healers are a treasure

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Arashin Kujqai - 09-05-2017

I'm so god damned tired of players that have a tank alt or main but play a different class, deciding for the tank what to pull. I've had so many runs ruined that I couldn't enjoy because a dps wants "big pulls", so the summoner decides to run ahead 50miles and pull things for me like he's the tank. I've had this happen with healers too, deciding it's suddenly their liberty to pull the depths of the earth on their shoulders. It's not even the fact I can't handle big pulls, I in fact have been pulling the most I can that I have come to expect when I have been on a dps.

Just so tired of people not playing the role they are... you're a healer... So why are you tanking? You're a dps so why are you tanking? It doesn't just happen like this either, I find dps that decide to specifically heal(rdm's/smn's) and it just annoys me to no end. And I have people say to just let them do it but that only causes strain on the healer to have to heal a dps and the tank at the same time as well as getting the healer aggro. In turn if I choose to do this, it just makes me look like a bad tank..... If you wanted to be a tank in this dungeon or a healer, level one or choose it when you queue. Why do people do this =.=

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Charity322 - 09-05-2017

I still remember the dungeon when the WHM ran out of mana and I was healing the tank on the last boss as Summoner lol. We were so close to dying. :O

Usually though, the only thing I bother to heal is my carby, because I've never seen a healer heal a carby and some bastard removed Sustain. DX