Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Xiaoli Vorgan - 12-30-2014

(12-17-2014, 01:25 PM)Dogberry Wrote: I am absolutely sick of people railing against PUGS. Yeah, OK, you might get a crappy PUG every now and then, but people are so focused on the negative they forget the good PUGS.

Even if you get a bad one, just let it slide. They're dogs! The fact that they can even play video games is AMAZING!

Most of my PUGS have been awesome. I know my class and I know it well. I however, don't like to see other people who might not know theirs as well or are new, getting ragged on by some little shtako who plays the game like its a career. I don't like to watch people arguing when we're all supposed to be having fun and working together.

My vent isn't even so much about this game as it is about gaming in MMORPGs in todays world. I started out playing when things were still about meeting new people, adventuring together, acquiring that awesome piece of gear for whomever gets lucky on the team. Back when questing was like the anime Log Horizon, or one of my favorite youtube shows "The Guild".

Today, it's all about do this as fast as you can because we've got to do it a million times to get "X". Today it's about "must have studied youtube fight, and know X" before you even think about joining someones party finder.

I quit doing dungeons because I took a break for awhile, and when I came back new stuff was out and I really don't feel like being the new person on some well versed team and I also don't feel like putting a PF team together only to end up with some elitist shtako who only jumped in cause they couldn't find a quick enough party.

People will say "Join a company that is raiding." I have been playing since launch and I have been in a total of 2 companies. The company I helped to start back at Launch, which I am currently back in and have also inherited since the previous leader went inactive after staying on her alt. Then another company, which I won't name. 

It was a raiding company, but it became apparent that the company leader came up with the rule that anyone with a 50 in "X" should get the loot if there was no one to benefit from it. So instead of everyone getting some random loot they could use later, he got the majority of all the loot since he had a 50 in everything. In the end, before I left, he had something like 14 pieces to everyone else 5-6.  

Raiding wasn't why I left but it became a reason I wasn't eager to jump back into a company. 
I had actually left to hop back into my old company and use the seals for boosts because coincidentally, that same company leader began forgetting to turn on XP boosts coincidentally after his last 50. I said I would be back afterwards but he took it as "I'm not coming back, here's the little gil you donated back." Which was then sent to a mutual friend who then gave it to me.

I do not like to deal in drama, I took my gil and just stayed where I was and made it a new home. I decided to work on my crafting and finish leveling all my jobs. Even if no one is very active, I don't have to deal with dramaz, or raid schedules, or loot hoarders or cliques. I do have a few friends who don't mind that I am not in their company and will let me tag along. I'm just sayin, things are no where near as cool as they used to be.

That's my vent. 

PS: if there are typos that's well because my tummy is rumbling and I'm in a rush to go make some lunch.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Antain - 12-30-2014

Show Content

Um...this was supposed to be venting, yes? Blush

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 04:18 PM)Vaughn Wrote: Um...this was supposed to be venting, yes? Blush

*hugs*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 04:06 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Also, when I SCH dungeons, my honest goal is to out dps at least one of the DDs in my party. Not even ashamed.
I do this as SCH too. I take my WHM into trials and I usually just divine seal medica2 some Regen and then clEric and get to like 60% MP before I throw up shroud and heal again >.>

DRg says big pulls in Sastash. Proceeds to not do any AOE while tank does big pulls and no flashes.

... sch and I just heal our dmg, doing dps and killing thi ngh s >.>

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 04:18 PM)Vaughn Wrote: Um...this was supposed to be venting, yes? Blush

Yes, you're found the right place. Welcome, hate-brother, we've been waiting for you.

Seriously, though, Xiaoli touched on a lot of the reasons why I left WoW and got burned out in general. I think I mentioned it in the opening post or somewhere near there too. Raid guild drama is caustic and toxic and no fun at all. And I straight up hated the "to run this raid, you had to have run this raid" circular nonsense that had quickly become predominant. LFR helped a lot with that, but it was late in coming to someone who's played since Vanilla.

The FFXIV raids may be shorter. May be faster. May even be easier to learn, I dunno, I haven't dipped into it beyond ST/CT/First couple parts of the first Coil. However, it's pretty apparent the Raid Culture is here just as soundly as it is in WoW. And, really, I just don't WANT to get back into raiding.

I'm happy enough dressing up my green-haired midget to look like a Behemoth in Paladin armor and running around having RPs and helping here and there when someone in a dungeon needs themselves a tank.

(12-30-2014, 04:25 PM)Kage Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 04:06 PM)Sounsyy Wrote: Also, when I SCH dungeons, my honest goal is to out dps at least one of the DDs in my party. Not even ashamed.
I do this as SCH too. I take my WHM into trials and I usually just divine seal medica2 some Regen and then clEric and get to like 60% MP before I throw up shroud and heal again >.>

DRg says big pulls in Sastash. Proceeds to not do any AOE while tank does big pulls and no flashes.

When I heal it is a SCH and honestly being a Tank (I also DPS) my goal is to make people feel safe and that I got their back. If I can do that and dps fine, otherwise not. EoS can cover quite a bit. 

But if you want to dps as a goal, play dps. (IMHO)

(12-30-2014, 04:18 PM)Vaughn Wrote:
Show Content

Um...this was supposed to be venting, yes? Blush

I have seen my "static" group raidin time drop into oblivion but I try to keep there.

If you ever need something , shoot me a tell and I will try not to ignore you. Sometimes I am afk or tabbed but I'd like to think I have always tried to respond in kind.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 04:30 PM)Kage Wrote: Sometimes I am afk or tabbed

I have a whole album of creep shots that say it's more than "sometimes." Wink

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Xiaoli Vorgan - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 04:27 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

Yes, you're found the right place. Welcome, hate-brother, we've been waiting for you.

Seriously, though, Xiaoli touched on a lot of the reasons why I left WoW and got burned out in general. I think I mentioned it in the opening post or somewhere near there too. Raid guild drama is caustic and toxic and no fun at all. And I straight up hated the "to run this raid, you had to have run this raid" circular nonsense that had quickly become predominant. LFR helped a lot with that, but it was late in coming to someone who's played since Vanilla.

The FFXIV raids may be shorter. May be faster. May even be easier to learn, I dunno, I haven't dipped into it beyond ST/CT/First couple parts of the first Coil. However, it's pretty apparent the Raid Culture is here just as soundly as it is in WoW. And, really, I just don't WANT to get back into raiding.

I'm happy enough dressing up my green-haired midget to look like a Behemoth in Paladin armor and running around having RPs and helping here and there when someone in a dungeon needs themselves a tank.

Yes, I too fell off the WoW wagon for the same reasons. I do play it sometimes now and then but I play it the same way I play FF, except I'm in a perk guild so basically they don't care if you log in on not, there are people who have been inactive for years and can come back and still be in the guild.

I reallllly love this game, it's beautiful and can be fun when you do get to have that old timey atmosphere of playing with friends. I am also quite satisfied for now with dressing my char up like a virtual dolly, and running around RPing when I get the chance! I also had the pleasure of decorating both a FC house and personal house since for the FC, it was supposed to be a surprise for when the folks I made the company with back in the beginning came back.. but I think they got sucked into a wormhole instead. XD

Also: Holy moly at the other vent lol. That is table flipping venting there!

(12-30-2014, 04:29 PM)Nebbs Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 04:25 PM)Kage Wrote:

When I heal it is a SCH and honestly being a Tank (I also DPS) my goal is to make people feel safe and that I got their back. If I can do that and dps fine, otherwise not. EoS can cover quite a bit. 

But if you want to dps as a goal, play dps. (IMHO)
I think you misunderstand. Some DDs are honestly not very good and they don't take so much damage that a Rouse+Whispering Dawn+Shield won't cover while all you have to do to deal dmg is to apply dots+bane+renew dots. No one even gets below 90%.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Eva - 12-30-2014

Seems relevent based on some dialogue on the previous page:

I've done several dungeons as WHM with a SCH friend along with whatever tank and other DPS happens to be available. Almost always we will clear things much more quickly with 2x healer than most pickup roulettes in the standard config. Plus it's fun going nuke-happy once in awhile and letting my friend's fairy take care of most of the healing. Heart

(12-30-2014, 04:32 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 04:30 PM)Kage Wrote: Sometimes I am afk or tabbed

I have a whole album of creep shots that say it's more than "sometimes." Wink
[Image: tama-chan-tamaki-suoh-23442506-500-317.gif]

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 12-30-2014

(12-30-2014, 04:11 PM)Aaron Wrote: When NIN try to perfect dodge divebombs in T5.

Yes, you avoid damage.

No, you do not -not- get knocked backed.

SAY WORD?

all desire to roll NIN has left this body

(12-30-2014, 04:37 PM)Xiaoli Vorgan Wrote:
(12-30-2014, 04:27 PM)Gegenji Wrote:

Yes, I too fell off the WoW wagon for the same reasons. I do play it sometimes now and then but I play it the same way I play FF, except I'm in a perk guild so basically they don't care if you log in on not, there are people who have been inactive for years and can come back and still be in the guild.

I reallllly love this game, it's beautiful and can be fun when you do get to have that old timey atmosphere of playing with friends. I am also quite satisfied for now with dressing my char up like a virtual dolly, and running around RPing when I get the chance! I also had the pleasure of decorating both a FC house and personal house since for the FC, it was supposed to be a surprise for when the folks I made the company with back in the beginning came back.. but I think they got sucked into a wormhole instead. XD

Also: Holy moly at the other vent lol. That is table flipping venting there!

I will also sign the "why the fell of WoW" list.

FELLOW BLACKMAGES.

YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO MANAWALL SHIVA'S KNOCKBACK

IT DOES NOT MEAN THE PEOPLE YOU POINTED THAT AT CAN OR ANTICIPATE HAVING TO MOVE CAUSE YOU ARE TOO LAZY.