Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 01-18-2015

Ultima Weapon (Hard). I know the fight and always end up being one of the last to die when things go awry but I've yet to have any luck completing the trial due to seemingly being cursed to be thrown into terrible group after terrible group via the duty finder.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 03:59 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Ultima Weapon (Hard). I know the fight and always end up being one of the last to die when things go awry but I've yet to have any luck completing the trial due to seemingly being cursed to be thrown into terrible group after terrible group via the duty finder.

As a bad tank in the one time I did an Ultima Weapon HM, I wanna apologize on behalf of those who are awful at this trial. In my personal defense, I wasn't informed about the stacks and hate-swapping that was needed until AFTER the second tank ragequit.

I'm learning. I'm learning. :c

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-18-2015

Burn the Boss and ignore adds, aoe and mechanics is a dumb way to approach stuff!

There I said it. In fact there are a few "not so hard" boss encounters that will serve you your ass with this approach.

I much prefer to do the dance than run through the ballroom and pretend it's dancing.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Cato - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 08:44 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(01-18-2015, 03:59 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Ultima Weapon (Hard). I know the fight and always end up being one of the last to die when things go awry but I've yet to have any luck completing the trial due to seemingly being cursed to be thrown into terrible group after terrible group via the duty finder.

As a bad tank in the one time I did an Ultima Weapon HM, I wanna apologize on behalf of those who are awful at this trial.  In my personal defense, I wasn't informed about the stacks and hate-swapping that was needed until AFTER the second tank ragequit.  

I'm learning.  I'm learning.  :c

Oh, don't get me wrong I don't mind if people are making genuine mistakes. I'm willing to stick it out until a group succeeds, but they tend to break apart even if progress is being made.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 09:18 AM)Graeham Ridgefield Wrote: Oh, don't get me wrong I don't mind if people are making genuine mistakes. I'm willing to stick it out until a group succeeds, but they tend to break apart even if progress is being made.

Urf...yea, apparently if you don't have the instant clear, people are more willing to roll the dice and sit in the queue than try to stick it out with a group that's showing improvement, even if its meager.

Love that. >.<

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Menelwen - 01-18-2015

-/Begin rant.

To the healer who joined my FC mates and I earlier in Darkhold:

When you flat out refuse to heal because "Eos can handle it," I wanted to shove your fairy down your throat.

When you pulled the boss and ultimately caused one of my friends to die, I wanted to force you to summon Selene and thrust her down your throat as well.

When, once the fight was over, you began to rez my friend and suddenly stopped, choosing instead to leave, I wanted to plunge my axe so far into your skull that Legolas would mistake your twitching corpse as an alive hostile and shoot you in the head.

-/End rant.

Show Content

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-18-2015

/More Shonisaurus ranting.

Why SE, why is Big Fishing so much harder than coil? Is this the true endgame that no one ever sees? Why is this one fish 1000x more difficult to catch than all 111 others?

Let me lay down the ridiculousness for those of you who don't fish.

First, in Coerthas you have to wait for Clear or Fair weather to change into Blizzards. This can happen anywhere from 0-3x a real life day. Woe be to you if it doesn't happen at all for a couple days.

Once blizzards hit, you have to catch an HQ Cloud Cutter. You have a 47% chance for a Cloud Cutter to proc, but only something like a 10% chance that it'll HQ. So right off the bat, your chance of success starts at 4.7%.

Once you get your HQ Cloud Cutter, you mooch that fish (use it as bait) to catch an HQ Mahar, another Big Fish. Unfortunately for you, Cloud Cutters have a chance to mooch 3 different fish: 31% chance for Blind Manta, 51% chance for Saucerfish, and 17% chance for a Mahar. Mahars require a minimum 320 Perception to have a 1% chance at HQing. For FSH, that is extremely high and requires Supra, fully melded Forager's complete set, and fully melded accessories, Perception FC buff, and Food to achieve a 1% chance at HQing this fish. Fortunately, I have Ironworks, so I'm marginally better off and I might have a 2% chance at HQ.

So our chances of success now? 0.01% BUT WAIT, we ain't done yet! We've still gotta catch the Shoni! The last step is pure, gosh-dang luck that we can reel in this 22-fulm monster. A minimum 403 Gathering is required to reel this sucker in. Unfortunately, unlike BTN and MIN it doesn't matter how much Gathering you pump, you can never achieve a 100% chance of catching something. So once again it's down to RNG and hoping what you've got is enough for RNGesus to smile upon you through the blizzard.

/wheeze /endrant
Needless to say I've been farming this thing over a month now and it's highly discouraging. Some windows you never even see a NQ Mahar... let alone an HQ.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kurt S. - 01-18-2015

/vent=1

Might as well get this out of my system.

Why does SE hate new players? I don't get it. Why the flying fuck am I always supposed to tank for toxic dps bitches who probably don't keep an eye on the aggro markers on the side of the screen? I mean you're already ilevel3digits, I get that but do you not check your combos in relation to the aggro markers? You know..blue, yellow, orange, and red?

Then you start hating on me because apparently exhausting my TP doing nothing but Butcher's Block and an occassional overpower/steel cyclone with defiance on 24/7 can only struggle to keep the aggro on me while you guys go and spam high damage shit then die seconds later then tell me I shud git gud? Doesnt stop at that because apparently you need to kick me off the run too(I've only gotten Wanderer's Palace and Tam-tara HM so far and it's happened twice in each dungeon). Like oh I dunno either before the final boss or after the first frikkin mob. 

After I got Bravura(A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU NAKO'LI for helping me do Titan and Garuda as well as Cliodhna for the advice on getting soldieries without having to meet toxic groups 24/7) I can still only barely keep up with the hate maintenance because SE will still bunch me up with people who prolly dont realize that guy wearing a donated wolfram set and a bravura only scratches the i80 mark. Seriously SE why am I paired with i120-i150s? Actually no, prolly my fault for being a generally new player.

This is really just blunting any real desire to the 50 content though. Way to go SE...way to fucken go. Kinda just wanna wear the pink wolfram set and just do /mdance in the Quicksand. I know, people are like that in any game and I'm probably just having bad luck with the DF. This'll probably blow over soon I guess.

/vent=0

heh, Kinda wish I had a DPS or healzy alt that was at endgame to help you out. I've found that outnumbering the douchenozzles--even balancing them out two to two--makes the dungeons MUCH easier to handle mentally.

Alas, alls I have is my PLD or WAR. :c

The only other thing I can offer is to find others whom you enjoy rolling with to maybe form a small team to get your HM clears AND keep your sanity until you're more "appropriately" geared.

Wish I could more directly help you out, though. None of the DPS classes really strike my character, as completely idiotic as that sounds....and Cliaux is only level 20.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Nebbs - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 01:55 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: /vent=1

Why does SE hate new players? I don't get it. Why the flying fuck am I always supposed to tank for toxic dps bitches who probably don't keep an eye on the aggro markers on the side of the screen? I mean you're already ilevel3digits, I get that but do you not check your combos in relation to the aggro markers? You know..blue, yellow, orange, and red?

Then you start hating on me because apparently exhausting my TP doing nothing but Butcher's Block and an occassional overpower/steel cyclone with defiance on 24/7 can only struggle to keep the aggro on me while you guys go and spam high damage shit then die seconds later then tell me I shud git gud? Doesnt stop at that because apparently you need to kick me off the run too(I've only gotten Wanderer's Palace and Tam-tara HM so far and it's happened twice in each dungeon). Like oh I dunno either before the final boss or after the first frikkin mob. 

After I got Bravura(A MILLION TIMES THANK YOU NAKO'LI for helping me do Titan and Garuda as well as Cliodhna for the advice on getting soldieries without having to meet toxic groups 24/7) I can still only barely keep up with the hate maintenance because SE will still bunch me up with people who prolly dont realize that guy wearing a donated wolfram set and a bravura only scratches the i80 mark. Seriously SE why am I paired with i120-i150s? Actually no, prolly my fault for being a generally new player.

This is really just blunting any real desire to the 50 content though. Way to go SE...way to fucken go. Kinda just wanna wear the pink wolfram set and just do /mdance in the Quicksand. I know, people are like that in any game and I'm probably just having bad luck with the DF. This'll probably blow over soon I guess.

/vent=0

I feel for all the new people, and I love it when i get a group of such people. It makes for a great experience to chat, learn and have some fun.

Honestly give me people that interact over "just here for the win" folks, and keep the nutters well away.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 01:55 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: Why does SE hate new players? I don't get it. Why the flying fuck am I always supposed to tank for toxic dps bitches who probably don't keep an eye on the aggro markers on the side of the screen?

This is actually one of my biggest problems with the DF. I understand that SE's intention is that higher level players will help new players by mixing them together in content, but unfortunately it very rarely seems to work that way, especially with new tanks or new healers.

And I think a large portion of the problem is every time SE removes a previous tier of Tomestone progression, they essentially make it more difficult for players behind the curve to catch up to those above it. They had a good idea putting the Antique drops into the new dungeons as a way to obtain the old Mythology gear, but let's be honest, if you're a new player who actually needs that gear, you can't feasibly run those new expert dungeons to get it. Good idea, just not properly executed in my opinion. The next gear in your progression always seems to be locked in the dungeon just beyond your IL.

Again, it's not much of a problem if you're an undergeared DPS (unless your party still insists on big pulls) but it just becomes immediately apparent when it's a new tank or new healer. I don't really know how to fix the problem but keep chugging away and trying to gear up is best I can say. Eventually you'll get to a point where your WAR will be blowing your party away on enmity and sometimes damage. In the meantime, I enjoyed your pink armored Manderville in the QS last night.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Devereau - 01-18-2015

(01-18-2015, 01:55 PM)Chicken Nugger Wrote: /vent=1

/vent=0
As mentioned, a lot of the lower dungeons are getting flooded with high level people for the last end of the zodiac. They are adding level sync, but I am not sure how far they are syncing each dungeon. If it is significant enough, it could show some improvement. 

In the interim, it may help a bit to prod people to help with dungeons that won't push terribly fast, or finding out what dungeons aren't getting shoved forward because of dungeon atma.

One thing I did with alts that were tanks, when I was a bit too terrified to go into dungeons for similar reasons, if I were having trouble finding to run with, is I would whack a few hunts here and there when I can. It gives you sold and seals, which you can use to get i100 gear now. Same with running CT. It is decent sold, and usually there isn't a huge amount of pressure. 

Of course I still feel the problem is awful, and I wish there would be more to solve the problem available, but perhaps this will help a tad in coping, even if not the most fantastic choice.

This does bring up the Months Behind LS that I'm a part of. It's a bit small right now, but there's people on there who are more than willing to pull together to help you craft a party as opposed to being at the mercy of the DF exclusively.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 01-18-2015

Sounsyy has the right of it. SE's gear treadmill, combined with the grindy nature of endgame, is devastating to new 50s; I feel really bad for those who've either just hit 50 and end up with super-speedrun groups after Zodiac components or who are coming back and have to deal with "y u no i 110 nub" sorts. Cry

I much prefer the friendly, learning, chatty groups over the "super fast kill kill kill then yell if something goes wrong" groups. I'll take a dungeon that takes 30-45 minutes where we all have fun, someone learns something, and everyone thanks each other at the end over something that speeds me in silence to some tomestones in 20 any day. (Not that I'm saying people who want the latter are wrong, just that it's not what I want, but it's what I get in DF. Sad ) And hey, if that's what you want too, I have classes for all 3 roles at i100+, I know how to watch a threat meter, and I'd love to blow things up for you. Smile

As a side note, the item level sync coming back in 2.5 is to i110. Given that the dungeons to which it's being applied are trivial at i110, it's really not going to make any difference.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-18-2015

Honestly the i110 isn't going to help too much except keeping the FCOB diehards and the Poetics diehards from being ass-wreckers. i110 still makes things so trivial and all it does is sync the people doing even just WoD down by 10 ilvls.

The best way imo is getting with DPS that aren't stupid.

You let the PLD FoF lob and combo before you use all your damage CDs. That's only if you're similarly geared. If your PLD is not 7k+ hp or your Defiance'd WAR is not 9k+ hp then you should think "OH THIS TANK IS NEW OR GEARING" and you should wait for a FULL FUCKING COMBO.

Don't fucking blow all your shit when he's only thrown one axe/shield.

Dumbasses.