Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melodia - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 08:55 AM)Steel Wolf Wrote:
(01-19-2015, 11:54 PM)Kellach Woods Wrote: Pre-emptive vent as I have ten bucks on a group raging at me for not knowing the mechanics of the dungeons coming out in the patch that hits tomorrow.

Nah, you're fine on that for at least a week.

Unless you're a tanker.  Then you've got three or four days, max, to be an expert at all the contents ever.  XD
This ^ lol! *hides axe and runs*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-20-2015

I WAR.

So, uh yeah.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-20-2015

It's times like this I'm glad I main SCH on Gogon. I'm going to hit the content first with him, so the most I'll have to deal with is "OH GOD, WHY DO THEY HIT SO HARD" and spamming heals.

With Chachan maining PLD, though... I'll have to pay closer attention than usual for when I go through with him.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-20-2015

I've never had any trouble just by speaking up at the start of a run. "Hey, first time here. Anything tricky I should know about?"

Most of the time on patch day, that's true for 4/4 of the people running anyway. 'Fessing up about it defuses a lot of tension, especially when people start dying to mechanics.

Full admission: My first Brayflox Hard was with 4 people who had ZERO IDEA how to handle the bomb phases on the last boss. Wiped probably half a dozen times before realizing the AoE wasn't the side of the arena. We were trying to blow all the bombs into one side, and that worked about as well as you'd think it did.

When in doubt, be exceedingly, excruciatingly honest. "Hi, I'm your tank and I'm going to kill us all several times. Work with me."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-20-2015

You have a lot more confidence in the goodwill and patience of those playing this game in DF than I do.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 09:20 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: You have a lot more confidence in the goodwill and patience of those playing this game in DF than I do.

Well... I'm the tank. They can't kick me until 5 minutes in, can't abandon until longer, and unless they know what it is I'm doing wrong, they don't really have a reason to get rid of me. Most groups are willing to tough it out and die a bit learning, especially on new stuff. I had a Trial Roulette land on Ultros last week that wiped and ran for nearly 25 minutes before finally winning, and the whole time it was the same pair of people not knowing how to manage things. We talked them through it and eventually won.

I think the expectations on us for new things are amplified through the lens of worst-case scenario. I mean, it's different if someone's outright bad at something and refuses to learn (i.e., tanking Garuda in whirlwinds, kiting bosses for no reason, that sort of bad) but bad is not a synonym for new.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 09:20 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: You have a lot more confidence in the goodwill and patience of those playing this game in DF than I do.

...well Ser Castille does have the right of it. And worst case, even if I'm dealing with an overgeared hyper-spazz Ninja of Aggro-Drawing Doom, I just banter anyway. It defuses my own nerves and, hopefully, makes the others laugh.

Or they get so annoyed they might leave. Either way, I'm winning.

If your faith has been that utterly dashed, though, mayhaps I'd suggest forming your own personal party? I mean, you've got some contacts or friends in this game that you know and get along with to form around you and have fun, no?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-20-2015

To me, I do almost everything but high-tier stuff in DF. I vent more about smaller things but I'd honestly say I probably am genuinely upset by anyone in DF maybe 2 times a week.

For the amount of times I play, I think that's a pretty good amount.

I remember I was sick 2.4 launch. Day of we all said we were new. Whatever right? No one bitched when we wiped on the first two Qarn HM bosses. or the Sastasha HM 1st boss. Snowcloak we didn't welp cause I'm just too good at healing (jk) while ignoring the mechanics. I died once in the last boss cause I has healing and didn't see people moving behind the icicle and I was too late and got chomped on.

The reaction by the groups were "LOL now we know."

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melodia - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 09:24 AM)Warren Castille Wrote:

Well... I'm the tank. They can't kick me until 5 minutes in, can't abandon until longer, and unless they know what it is I'm doing wrong, they don't really have a reason to get rid of me. Most groups are willing to tough it out and die a bit learning, especially on new stuff. I had a Trial Roulette land on Ultros last week that wiped and ran for nearly 25 minutes before finally winning, and the whole time it was the same pair of people not knowing how to manage things. We talked them through it and eventually won.

I think the expectations on us for new things are amplified through the lens of worst-case scenario. I mean, it's different if someone's outright bad at something and refuses to learn (i.e., tanking Garuda in whirlwinds, kiting bosses for no reason, that sort of bad) but bad is not a synonym for new.

*Gets axe and charges into new content with a bolstered spirit*

RAWR!! Overpower ALL of the things!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Steel Wolf - 01-20-2015

(01-20-2015, 09:35 AM)Melodia Wrote: *Gets axe and charges into new content with a bolstered spirit*

RAWR!! Overpower ALL of the things!

... <3
*steals phrase for new signature*

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 01-20-2015

If you can get in on it early, now is the time to do new content. Everyone's on the same page.

It'll likely be that way for the next couple of days, spiking on the weekend before new stuff becomes farm-status. Expect big crowds once more folks get home from work and such.

(01-20-2015, 10:47 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: It'll likely be that way for the next couple of days, spiking on the weekend before new stuff becomes farm-status. Expect big crowds once more folks get home from work and such.

*raises hand*

I'LL BE RAWR-AXEING AT STUFF SO DAMNED HARD TONIGHT AFTER WORK!!

That said, my apologies in advance to anyone here who experiences my axetarded failtanking for the next...oh...four or five days. ILU GAIZ XD

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Jana - 01-20-2015

Mhm, I did my blind runs of WP/AK HMs already with full blind groups, and we only wiped once (on AKHM 1st boss). They're not bad, mechanically-speaking.

Edit: Oh and the 2nd AKHM boss too, 2spooky.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aris - 01-20-2015

A little rant from me, but I've put it under read more because of potential sensitive subject.

Show Content