Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 11:42 AM)FreelanceWizard Wrote: What we determined for WP was...

Show Content

Oh god that Confuse. Hate that Confuse. It caused so many wipes. Huge cone and he ALWAYS seems to be at one side of the room, turning it inward so there's nowhere to go.

In fact, our kill in my run of the place only came from us having him low enough that the remaining DPS and tank could finish him off after Confuse ruined our day. And even then it was close, tank was only one still up at the end. Totally got my commendation.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aris - 01-21-2015

Thank you all for the understanding responses regarding my last post. Smile

It surprises me that some don't enjoy blind runs - they're my favourite! Did WoD as healer about an hour after the servers opened and everyone was new, took the full two hours and we couldn't clear the last boss, but it was so much fun! But I imagine I was quite lucky as the everyone was pretty chilled throughout the whole thing.

..This is more of a happy post than a rant post. (Maybe we should have a 'positive experiences' thread too? Tongue)

A rant to make it appropriate: Keeper last boss as SMN is awful. Awful.

(01-21-2015, 03:45 PM)Aris Wrote: It surprises me that some don't enjoy blind runs - they're my favourite thing about each patch. Did WoD as healer about an hour after the servers opened and everyone was new, took the full two hours and we couldn't clear the last boss, but it was so much fun! But I imagine I was quite lucky as the everyone was pretty chilled throughout the whole thing.

I have nothing against blind runs. My Battle on Big Bridge run was done blind. Someone said they were new and not to spoil anything, so we went in without any information and had ourselves a grand old time.

My issue lies in people who either assume you should already know the fight - or refuse to tell you pertinent information - despite being told that you're new. I don't mind blind runs, but if no one is wanting to be surprised? Please tell me things! Especially if I'm the tank or healer!

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aris - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 04:01 PM)Gegenji Wrote:
(01-21-2015, 03:45 PM)Aris Wrote: It surprises me that some don't enjoy blind runs - they're my favourite thing about each patch. Did WoD as healer about an hour after the servers opened and everyone was new, took the full two hours and we couldn't clear the last boss, but it was so much fun! But I imagine I was quite lucky as the everyone was pretty chilled throughout the whole thing.

I have nothing against blind runs. My Battle on Big Bridge run was done blind. Someone said they were new and not to spoil anything, so we went in without any information and had ourselves a grand old time.

My issue lies in people who either assume you should already know the fight - or refuse to tell you pertinent information - despite being told that you're new. I don't mind blind runs, but if no one is wanting to be surprised? Please tell me things! Especially if I'm the tank or healer!

Oh it wasn't aimed at any one here, just where Melodia commented that someone said "wait so we're going in blind? Ugh.."
YES WE ARE WHOO. Tongue

What you've said is definitely frustrating. ;;

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-21-2015

I like to go in with juuuuust enough information to be dangerous. It's no secret I spoil stuff for myself in regards to mechanics and whatnot just because, as a tank, I think it's more important I not kill us all with placement and give us a chance at winning. That doesn't mean I know anything, though.

Last night doing Keeper, I knew about the OHKO mechanic. I knew how to avoid it. What I DIDN'T know what the actual-how-to-avoid-it way. So, we do the first step, my party does the second step, and I TAKE THE EXPLOSION ON THE FACE AND DIE.

Whoops.

Didn't make the mistake twice, but it made for a fun encounter. Similarly, I knew about the totems for the second WP boss but not specifically what they did. OOPS, 6K FIRESPIT, 4K FIRE.

I can't understand fights until they've killed me. I try to skip through the "Why did that kill me" ahead of time, though.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-21-2015

I know this is about venting but...

OHKO in Keeper?

Do you mean you weren't in the bubble?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-21-2015

Probably wasn't in the bubble. Tsk tsk, Warren. Halatali HM / Leviathan mechanic.

He couldn't trouble to bubble?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Aduu Avagnar - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 04:18 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: I like to go in with juuuuust enough information to be dangerous. It's no secret I spoil stuff for myself in regards to mechanics and whatnot just because, as a tank, I think it's more important I not kill us all with placement and give us a chance at winning. That doesn't mean I know anything, though.

Last night doing Keeper, I knew about the OHKO mechanic. I knew how to avoid it. What I DIDN'T know what the actual-how-to-avoid-it way. So, we do the first step, my party does the second step, and I TAKE THE EXPLOSION ON THE FACE AND DIE.

Whoops.

Didn't make the mistake twice, but it made for a fun encounter. Similarly, I knew about the totems for the second WP boss but not specifically what they did. OOPS, 6K FIRESPIT, 4K FIRE.

I can't understand fights until they've killed me. I try to skip through the "Why did that kill me" ahead of time, though.
The fun thing about the WP fight? The totem's change there effect each time you fight him.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-21-2015

Yeah. What bubble? Too busy watching HP, watching dragon, watching Mid, watching AoEs, watching cast bar. I don't look at very many game elements when I've got so much UI to agonize over.

Now I know what the relevant parts to agonize over are.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 05:23 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: Now I know what the relevant parts to agonize over are.

EVERYTHING

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 05:06 PM)Nakoli Chalahko Wrote: The fun thing about the WP fight? The totem's change there effect each time you fight him.

That was a bit funny for us, since we were like, "Okay, green is heavy, blue is toad, red is fire resist down -- WTF how did I get turned into a toad again?" Smile Thankfully, for us, purple remained Damage Up both times, so that made the key mechanic easier to deal with.

I love going in blind. Figuring out the fights, guessing what the mechanics are from how the mob moves and looks, the "OMG HOLY CRAP" moment when you see a 90 degree cone or "150 seconds until Crash Down"... I love those moments. Smile

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 01-21-2015

Going in blind would be fun if I could trust my contemporaries not to be dicks.

Since I DF more often than not...

G'raha Tia is the most awfully-written, unbelievable fan-fiction tier snowflake character. I want him to die.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-21-2015

(01-21-2015, 08:59 PM)Warren Castille Wrote: G'raha Tia is the most awfully-written, unbelievable fan-fiction tier snowflake character. I want him to die.

Wholeheartedly agreed.

"I'm a rare Miqo'te male! I'm mixed breed! I'm a victim of bigotry! I'm awesome but you'll only be informed that I'm awesome! Cid & co. love me!"

Show Content