Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 02:51 PM)Melkire Wrote: I've only ever seen the... snrrrrk... "Hyperion Facepull Method" in obvious trolling attempts. I've never seen this new "method" paraded about as a strategy actually worth considering until I had that run last week.

LMAO it's actually the only way I've ever seen Hyperion and Excalibur do LotA. (And I'm talking since LotA came out in 2.1!) Sad commentary there. I didn't even know there was a sensible, assigned way to do things until some Masamune friends of mine were looking at our Hyp runs and going "what the absolute fk is happening here...?????"

Our DF/PF is seriously the worst thing in existence. I'll have to fraps the shenanigans sometime and show you all the madness we experience daily.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 02:58 PM)Warren Castille Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 02:51 PM)Jariana Wrote: Of course, we're not going to mention the little incident where I may have accidentally tanked Ms. Cloudy at the end with Sword Oath on.  Nope, not going to mention that at all... Blush

If your healers are up for it and you can keep hate, there's not a thing wrong with this. I do it intentionally because her damage is so easy to manage. Even better when you swap VIT jewelry for STR jewelry and lose 2k HP on the exchange, too!

I actually already started doing this on Chachan. Almost all his jewelry is STR instead of VIT. It has an odd side-effect of me double-checking the other tanks I'm with if they have higher HP - mostly to see if they're actually geared better than me or if it's because I have a more aggressive loadout.

... Which made the one moment I ended up with a healer that had 7k+ HP pretty funny. Turned out they had all HQ crafted gear melded with VIT materia. For Coil stuff, I'd assume. Still, it was strange seeing a healer with as much HP as me (not counting when I was babby 50 and still trying to gear up).

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Warren Castille - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 03:03 PM)Gegenji Wrote: I actually already started doing this on Chachan. Almost all his jewelry is STR instead of VIT. It has an odd side-effect of me double-checking the other tanks I'm with if they have higher HP - mostly to see if they're actually geared better than me or if it's because I have a more aggressive loadout.

... Which made the one moment I ended up with a healer that had 7k+ HP pretty funny. Turned out they had all HQ crafted gear melded with VIT materia. For Coil stuff, I'd assume. Still, it was strange seeing a healer with as much HP as me (not counting when I was babby 50 and still trying to gear up).

I leave VIT on for trash, or anywhere I'm expected to use Flash, if only because STR doesn't adjust threat on that whatsoever. For single things or bosses, it's Sword/STR all the way. My macro does my swaps for me.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Lost River - 01-30-2015

Mine only comes with any time I try to do any of the raiding. I've done new dungeons and such, but I haven't even been able to do Coil 1.

Why? I understand me screwing up because I'm new, but when the -whole group- does something stupid oooooor also something glitches out (Looking at you Crystal Tower), I am left. Meh.

Sad

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 02:51 PM)Melkire Wrote: And the cone doesn't really need to be silenced anyway. No one other than the MT should be over there, and the MT should be close enough to the base of the cone to sidestep it.
Speaking like a true melee ;p If the space is open, why not take it? More room away from the Demon eyes' gazes, more space to take them away from healers. The cone isn't an acute cone. It's almost obtuse. It takes up almost a quarter of the entire arena.

This is worse when you have tanks play around with the Dragon's agro. I've seen entire alliances get hit by the cone.

Anyways you'll see lots of people who seem to find it a popular way to handle the fight. As said, mostly from Primal lol.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1tfka6/crystal_tower_boss_explanation_macros/

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/197037-LotA-bone-dragon?p=2495553&highlight=bone+dragon#post2495553

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/186469-Different-boss-strategies-on-different-data-centers

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-30-2015

(01-30-2015, 03:11 PM)Kage Wrote: Speaking like a true melee ;p If the space is open, why not take it? More room away from the Demon eyes' gazes,  more space to take them away from healers. The cone isn't an acute cone. It's almost obtuse. It takes up almost a quarter of the entire arena.

This is worse when you have tanks play around with the Dragon's agro. I've seen entire alliances get hit by the cone.

Anyways you'll see lots of people who seem to find it a popular way to handle the fight. As said, mostly from Primal lol.
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1tfka6/crystal_tower_boss_explanation_macros/

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/197037-LotA-bone-dragon?p=2495553&highlight=bone+dragon#post2495553

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/186469-Different-boss-strategies-on-different-data-centers

True melee... but of course! I'm the guy that runs circles around the very center of the Angra Mainyu arena while Roulette is spinning, all while still wailing on the boss, because I don't trust people to kill the last hourglass at the right time. Evil

My experience has been that healers and ranged sit on the first platform in the row, and when Demon Eyes (is that their name, I can never remember) spawn, the OTs pick them up and tank them on the second platform, behind the rest of the party and facing away from them.

Tanks fighting over dragon aggro.... ugh. That right there is why I usually go as tank.

And I'm surprised to see that it's a popular method on Primal. Huh. Go figure.

Note to self: don't ever DF/PF on Hyperion *shudders*

Speaking of data center differing strategies.

I'd like to have tried the Japanese Triangle method for Garuda Ex at least once in my life.

Just... maybe once.

The one time I cleared Garuda EX as a tank.

...spending like 3 hours at it wasting so many peoples' time (Roen ; ; Delial ; ; Nat ; ; ) to get them some of their clears. Honestly they should have let me just BLM it up ; ;

Something, pick up a sister and a plume. Pick up plume at X stacks or after sister dead. Something something, pick up plume with all the feathers. Something / cry. OMFG I HATE TANKING GARUDA EX.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Melkire - 01-30-2015

Actually got my clear for Garuda EX on Gilgamesh using the JP Triangle method. Someone in the FC said "why don't we do it this way?" and everyone else was "ALRIGHT LET'S GO".

Jeepers creepers, Batman, is it ever easier on the tanks to have a melee pick up Chirada. That way MT only has to hold Garuda, OT can have Suparna from the get-go and not have to worry about how the fuck they're going to peel her off the MT due to saving 'voke for Spiny, and then NO ONE HAS TO DEAL WITH DOUBLE WICKED WHEEL OH THANK GOD.

(01-30-2015, 03:46 PM)Melkire Wrote: due to saving 'voke for Spiny
I wiped the group many a time because of this.

Nat was like "FUCK IT I HOLD BOTH FOR AWHILE GOD KAGE"

T_T;

Run out the timer. Altima giving me pointers.

Two more wipes (though one of them wasn't my fault) before the clear.

I seriously had a bad night that night. Then I go into Titan HM for a friend's second relic and people were acting like they were goofin' off and that is not what I want to feel at midnight after hard times. I became the bad person.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Tyndles - 01-30-2015

Had one last week that I forgot to mention here.  I'm still fairly inexperienced at end game, but I've done Lost City a few times, and I know the mechanics.

Tank pulls fairly slow but its steady realizing the group is all sub 100 gear, we down the first two bosses no problem, we get to Diabolos.

"Jojo do doors, it interrupts my casts"  Says the black mage.
"Yeah, cant heal good if I have to open doors too"  Says the white mage.

So the Ninja does the doors, and the black mage (with worse gear than me) just sits and casts and because Im running around and not dpsing much at all (my gear level at the time was 77?) We run outta doors and die. (Not to mention the first pull where I just completely borked the doors)

(01-30-2015, 04:05 PM)Tyndles Wrote: Had one last week that I forgot to mention here.  I'm still fairly inexperienced at end game, but I've done Lost City a few times, and I know the mechanics.

Tank pulls fairly slow but its steady realizing the group is all sub 100 gear, we down the first two bosses no problem, we get to Diabolos.

"Jojo do doors, it interrupts my casts"  Says the black mage.
"Yeah, cant heal good if I have to open doors too"  Says the white mage.

So the Ninja does the doors, and the black mage (with worse gear than me) just sits and casts and because Im running around and not dpsing much at all (my gear level at the time was 77?) We run outta doors and die.  (Not to mention the first pull where I just completely borked the doors)

I think we had a rather in-depth conversation about that fight in one of the earlier posts in this thread. And how dumb people can be with it.

Yeeeeeeep.

OH! I did a low level roulette (as usual) for my MNK last night doing Cutter's Cry. Tank with Atma pulls a few stuff cause MNK + BLM = 6 mobs right?! Well.... the mobs go down. Slowly. I see why. Blizz III. Blizz III. Blizz I. Fire. Fire. Fire. Fire III. Fire III. FREEZE. FREEZE. FREEZE. Fire II. Fire I. Fire III. Basically this BLM's rotation was so fucked up I had no idea where to even start. The WHM started to dps and the tank would end up dying at some points too.

But... trash pulls... BLM LB1!! More trash pulls. BLM LB1!! "Please don't waste our LB on trash when it doesn't even bring them to half HP"

.... GET TO CHIMERA AND THEY STILL DO LB1. Me: "..."
Tank :V

Chimera taking forever cause BLM dps is just so bad.
I finally get LB1 and before the BLM can pull that again... BRAVERRrrrrrr

I got the fuck out of dodge after bowing to the WHM and the PLD who stopped pulling so much when he realized the BLM was not listening and just was DPSing less than the WHM who had to HEAL AND DPS.

(01-30-2015, 04:16 PM)Kage Wrote: I got the fuck out of dodge after bowing to the WHM and the PLD who stopped pulling so much when he realized the BLM was not listening and just was DPSing less than the WHM who had to HEAL AND DPS.

I never know if I should feel proud or disappointed when I out-DPS the DPS on my SCH.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Tyndles - 01-30-2015

slightly off topic, but you people seem to know what you're doing and I've yet to touch 2.5 content, could I maybe add some of you guys to run the new stuff safely?  (or at least with people that are competent and patient?)

(01-30-2015, 04:27 PM)Tyndles Wrote: slightly off topic, but you people seem to know what you're doing and I've yet to touch 2.5 content, could I maybe add some of you guys to run the new stuff safely?  (or at least with people that are competent and patient?)

Most of us are very glad to help when we ourselves are not busy~ If you want, add "Forever Kage" to your friendslist. (Should on around 4pm PST)