Hydaelyn Role-Players
The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Printable Version

+- Hydaelyn Role-Players (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18)
+-- Forum: Final Fantasy 14 (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+--- Forum: FFXIV Discussion (https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb18/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales (/showthread.php?tid=9312)

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 11:16 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: More asinine is that kicking someone doesn't penalize them. But then... I can see the OF forum posts now: "I got kicked by elitists and now can't flag, something something toxic something something canceled account"

That bit always baffled me. You get people TRYING to get themselves kicked to AVOID the punishment of bailing. That is so horribly backwards I try not to even think about it too much.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-12-2015

There's this BRD on the Primal data center who stands with the group for each pull, then walks out of the fight just as the barrier goes up and sits outside every fight and just watches. Then loots once the fighting is done and continues this for every fight in LotA/ST/WoD. Shit, he probably does it in dungeons too. I somehow keep getting stuck with him in my party over the course of multiple weeks running WoD etc. Needless to say, he gets kicked a lotttt the moment people find out what he's doing. Prick.

Also, much comfort Chacha! ; ; A friend of mine went 26 runs of WoD for his tank chest piece last week. Hopefully you have better luck.

Also... since I haven't ranted about anything in a while: I do my expert roulette as SCH for a few reasons. 1) damn healer boots won't drop! >< 2) easymode most of the time. 3) keeping in shape with how to play SCH.

Pretty simple goals, right? So WHY do idiot tanks make my day so hard??? The number of WARs and PLDs I've healed who do not buff is TOO DAMN HIGH. And on top of not buffing, they don't grab adds when they big pull!?!?! So I'm getting mauled to death by 2-3 adds said tank has no hate on... BUT IM THE ONE WHO GETS BLAMED FOR BEING LOLBADHEALER?????? I cannot keep myself up, and lustrate spam your ass because you will neither grab hate nor use buffs to keep your HP from plummeting!

Also... the amount of VIT tanks on Hyp is staggering and sure... If you wanna VIT tank... be my guest... but I hope you noticed how your 1.8k extra HP didn't stop you from eating dirt when you stood in AoE poison puddles, stood in vulnerability vines, stood in AoEs, etc all while tanking 6+ mobs with no buffs up!?!?! Where is your as;lhta;rgeof Shield Oath??? You put that shit back on right now. If you can hold hate and if you use buffs you may use Sword Oath. But if you are a lazy idiot then NO you may not.

/cries into Jancis' fainting couch.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 11:30 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: Also... the amount of VIT tanks on Hyp is staggering and sure... If you wanna VIT tank... be my guest... but I hope you noticed how your 1.8k extra HP didn't stop you from eating dirt when you stood in AoE poison puddles, stood in vulnerability vines, stood in AoEs, etc all while tanking 6+ mobs with no buffs up!?!?! Where is your as;lhta;rgeof Shield Oath??? You put that shit back on right now. If you can hold hate and if you use buffs you may use Sword Oath. But if you are a lazy idiot then NO you may not.

I've always held that you ALWAYS use Shield Oath when tanking multiple mobs (i.e. trash) and raid bosses. Going into Sword Oath is for dungeon-level bosses and when you're not MTing. Chachan may be almost all kitted out in STR accessories (save for one i120 VIT ring), but I think I'd do the same even in all VIT gear.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Sounsyy - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 11:35 AM)Gegenji Wrote: I've always held that you ALWAYS use Shield Oath when tanking multiple mobs (i.e. trash) and raid bosses. Going into Sword Oath is for dungeon-level bosses and when you're not MTing. Chachan may be almost all kitted out in STR accessories (save for one i120 VIT ring), but I think I'd do the same even in all VIT gear.

My personal favorite is when I see a PLD in Sword Oath try to MT in like WoD and then is surprised when another tank pulls hate off of him? But instead of OTing and just doing DPS in their Sword Oath, they actually Voke! And try to wrestle hate back... but with Sword Oath still on! I'm like......................................... really?

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 11:16 AM)Warren Castille Wrote: More asinine is that kicking someone doesn't penalize them. But then... I can see the OF forum posts now: "I got kicked by elitists and now can't flag, something something toxic something something canceled account"
It's a good thing that can very very very easily be abused if they did add a penalty for kicking. Vote kick can already be abused. 2 people in a 4-man is all that's needed to kick someone. People kick people in some dungeons just so that they can get a friend in for zodiac drops.

Full confession.
I did in fact pulled the DC once in LotA. At the time I was very upset about my coil experience when BCOB was still locked. I couldn't get a group in my first FC. No one was willing to teach me much about it. The FC pretty much had -just- enough players to have 1 raid group and about 4 stragglers. But a friend who'd I'd spoke about this asks me what I'm doing. I had just started LotA. I get told to find a way to get out. I didn't want to troll or abuse this party so what I did was just unplug my router. For about 5 minutes.

Karma hits. I now can't get my internet up. >.>; Do everything with the router. Restart. Unplug plug back in. I get asked where am I? Staring at this router that won't connect to the internet... Basically, I end up out of it 30 minutes later when I finally get my ass to Wineport and ready to join this merry band of people doing Coil together. My second time in Coil!!!!! With this giant femroe named Denn. Scary *nod*

tldr; I "DC'd" once to join a coil run for the 2nd time ever to avoid 30 min penalty and trolling/abusing a group. Karma came and gave me its own penalty.

I love the tanks in HM trials who use Sword Oath but don't have the gear or the knowledge to back it up against my own Sword Oath and gear. No vokes needed. or in CT/ST.

I met a SCH in a low level haukke roulette iirc with my friend Cheesy who was leveling GLA. I was leveling LNC/DRG so yay! Also friend 50 BRD came. Then I see what the SCH is doing. Using -cure-. The sch had cross classed Cure and was DPSing without Cleric Stance. USING CURE and DPSING without Cleric Stance. I... I... WHAT? Go to last boss and I tell my friend "Use LoS on Void III casts." I worry cause this guy is not healing my friend. And it is -my- experience, especially when not as familiar with the SCH fairy healing while dpsing, I knew that the large set of adds in Haukke makes the fight much more healing intensive (aka stop dpsing SCH and HEAL). Well yeah. Cheesy dies and I decided to not do my very best to save the SCH from dying as well. And DRG BRD kills the rest.

But yeah. Wtf SCH that DPS without using Cleric Stance, barely heals and relies on Fairy, and uses CURE all the time...wtf? It's as asinine to me as someone telling a WHm to cross class physick because cure can't crit. Yes I've heard someone say this to a friend.

Edit:
(02-12-2015, 09:40 AM)Berrod Armstrong Wrote: To that tank on Midgardsormr who kept playing spin-the-dragon far more than it was necessary to dodge the AoEs. I was trying to play along and keep up, but we can't click the damn garlean shield thing if you keep POINTING DRAGON ATTACKS AT US.

It's cool that you left and called us scrubs. I mean, we only one-shot it with the next tank. THANK YOU HERO TANK, FOR TURNING THE DRAGONS ONLY WHEN NECESSARY, AND LEADING IT AWAY FROM US WHILE WE DOWNED THE ADD AND CLICKED THE THING.
OMFG TANKS IN KEEPER OF THE LAKE. AS BLM OR SCH I HAVE HATED MANY.
Point the last bosses to the SIDES. THE OUTSIDES. NOT PARALLEL TO THE OUTSIDE RING. NOT INTO THE CENTER. TO THE FUCKING WALL. I especially hate you tanks when I am a HEALER having to heal UNECESSARY FUCKING DAMAGE going out.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Hihimi - 02-12-2015

Balmung didn't open up today, so I had to blow some of my paycheck on a transfer for Hihimi... =(

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Telluride - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 12:33 PM)Kage Wrote: OMFG TANKS IN KEEPER OF THE LAKE. AS BLM OR SCH I HAVE HATED MANY.
Point the last bosses to the SIDES. THE OUTSIDES. NOT PARALLEL TO THE OUTSIDE RING. NOT INTO THE CENTER. TO THE FUCKING WALL. I especially hate you tanks when I am a HEALER having to heal UNECESSARY FUCKING DAMAGE going out.

You don't even have to be a DoM to hate that. I have done all my Keeper runs as BRD - the class most likely to actually maintain constant DPS in those last two boss fights (and I am hereby calling the instance, "Spammer Of The Lake" for all dodgedodgedodge it entails), and it is STILL a challenge to keep from stepping in Boom even for that class, the most mobile DPS available. I can only imagine how bad it is for DoMs (My highest spellflinger is only 32 - I'm not there yet).

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - FreelanceWizard - 02-12-2015

(02-12-2015, 05:58 PM)Telluride Wrote: You don't even have to be a DoM to hate that. I have done all my Keeper runs as BRD - the class most likely to actually maintain constant DPS in those last two boss fights (and I am hereby calling the instance, "Spammer Of The Lake" for all dodgedodgedodge it entails), and it is STILL a challenge to keep from stepping in Boom even for that class, the most mobile DPS available. I can only imagine how bad it is for DoMs (My highest spellflinger is only 32 - I'm not there yet).

It's a pain for spellslingers, frankly. Smile

As BLM, I try to stay to the sides (which avoids the line AEs), but there's still a fair amount of running around required. Keeping Thunder up for Thundercloud procs is very helpful. As WHM, well... thankfully the damage output of the normal boss attacks isn't that high, but there's a lot of "OMG will it go off in time?" with heals when people eat an AE attack. This is especially bad on the second boss because of the random Garlean Fire shots, but the Dragon can be tricky when people get stuck in the big growing rings of fire.

Rant from WoD last night: the healers of the raid MT's group simply would not move out of Level 150 Death. We wiped twice when the raid tank died because both of his healers were toast. They nearly killed me once (thankfully, one of our DPS got wise and ran in to bring the level count to 200 and save me). I also have to give a shout-out to the RNG, which apparently took personal offense to my existence and murdered me. Immediately after the hourglasses went down the first time, I was targeted by Level 150 Death with its attendant Bind... and then the Finger of Death landed on my quadrant. Still bound, I got to sit and watch Bind get removed, only to be replaced with Stun and my inevitable demise. Sigh.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Flashhelix - 02-15-2015

went to help a friend w/ chrysalis last night

first pug:
i can only assume the NIN was being attacked by a wild animal IRL during the fight or he was paralyzed from the neck down and had to press the keys with his tongue because in all five of our attempts he never made it through an orb phase without dying
healers can't stop fucking dying
healers can't keep tanks from fucking dying
people can't understand the words "stand under the meteors" so there's three wipes right there
people don't wanna vote abandon after five tries of complete and utter mediocrity

second pug:
we do way better
except there's another DRG as dps
and they use the LB3 right before the rift
and so we don't have enough deeps to kill the tear
and we wipe
and they get butthurt when people tell them they fucked up afterwards
fucking cat drgs

[Image: 42ab106761.gif]

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Khoure - 02-16-2015

(02-12-2015, 11:30 AM)Sounsyy Wrote: There's this BRD on the Primal data center who stands with the group for each pull, then walks out of the fight just as the barrier goes up and sits outside every fight and just watches. Then loots once the fighting is done and continues this for every fight in LotA/ST/WoD. Shit, he probably does it in dungeons too. I somehow keep getting stuck with him in my party over the course of multiple weeks running WoD etc. Needless to say, he gets kicked a lotttt the moment people find out what he's doing. Prick.

I'm not sure if its the same person, but there was definitely a BRD who did exactly that in Lamia the other day on LotA

other things I hate- when you're tanking and mess up a bit and lose some aggro. You focus right away on getting the enemy back, only the healer/dps IMMEDIATELY starts kiting like a madman. I understand if the tank isn't being responsive and you're gonna die, but dude, you're at full health and i'm clearly heading right there, all you're doing is making my job longer. I feel like I'm obligated to start playing yakety sax whenever that happens.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kellach Woods - 02-17-2015

This Wanderer's Palace HM was so horrible I completely understand why the Tank went abandon ship.

First off - THEY DO NOT KNOW THE INSTANCE AND DO NOT TELL ME. I do not believe that at this point in the patch cycle I should automatically assume they haven't done it yet. Especially after I apply partial speedrun strats due to group makeup (only one AoE dealer) and they clear that fine.

As in, the totem guy got up to 7 stacks. I was critted for 9k CONSTANTLY (obviously he couldn't keep me up). We wiped two times before I lost my patience and just explained it. They got it.

And then... Ja Ja outright wrecked us because none of them can actually dodge AoEs. You know the bigass giant AoE he does? Got hit by it. Worse still, the healer decided the SAFEST PLACE IN ALL THE LAND WAS RIGHT NEXT TO THE TANK ESCAPING A ROT GAS ATTACK (you know, when you position Ja Ja outside of Standard range aka you get an instant cone attack on your ass?)

Please tell me group, WHEN is the safest place in all the land right next to the tank?
ANSWER : NEVER UNLESS A MECHANIC CALLS FOR IT AND IT WILL BE VERY VERY OBVIOUS.

We got it and obviously the only thing I wanted was needed by the DRG fuckhead. Granted, it might help him do more damage which is good in general, but even 3 commendations was NOT worth this stress. This just soured my mood, plus some other shit just made me go "fuck this game".

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Enla - 02-17-2015

Less a rant at a specific person and more just a generalize, 'OMG WHY'. Could some tanks please stop pulling three or more extra mobs into a fight? Sometimes it works out and I'd be lying if I didn't find it rather good experience for what I'm assuming is a common practice during the late game. But seriously...? If you're going to do it please -please- at least allow me time to regain some MP before running off again. Thank goodness for Freecure, otherwise I'd have had nothing at all.

That said, again, not a rant at any one person. It's just been bugging me even if I'm willing to rise to the challenge. Dazed

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Kage - 02-17-2015

(02-17-2015, 02:58 AM)Kellach Woods Wrote: And then... Ja Ja outright wrecked us because none of them can actually dodge AoEs. You know the bigass giant AoE he does? Got hit by it.
To be fair, that AOE is almost inescapable if RNJESUS happens and the tank is moving it and the guy decides to turn around to cone everyone when they're moving and they're ass deep in the AOE. If you're in the thick of it, you're almost guaranteed to get hit by it.

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Gegenji - 02-17-2015

My FC got to hear this one last night.

I've been grinding WoD all week trying to get the tank chest - the last piece of tank equipment I'd need from the place. However, despite two to three runs a day or so, it refused to appear and I got to "enjoy" all sorts of groups. To include one where some DPS latched one of the Dragonflies on me while I was tanking the Five-Headed Dragon, and a (hilarious) instance where the raid ignored the shadow-worm-things to try and finish off Cloud and failed - which led to me Hallowed Grounding to avoid three cloud explosions and then soloing the boss for the win.

Last night, though? I had what might've been the worst pair of SCH healers I have seen in a while. I originally thought they were playing chicken with my life total with how low it kept getting, and playing it badly since I died not only on the first boss, but also on the Scylla Queen trash pull.

As such, I was not looking forward to tanking Cloud with that sort of healing, yet I was the best geared tank. Pop my usual set of cooldowns for the start (low-level defense buff, Fight or Flight, and Convalescence+Bloodbath), and run in. Five seconds later I'm dead. I get raised, wait for the debuff to fade and provoke the boss to try tanking again, only to die again. At which point I go Sword Oath and mention (in party chat, mind, not alliance... still trying to be respectful) that I don't want to try tanking if the healers are going to play chicken with my life total.

And then it begins.

One of the SCH first complains that they're the only one healing, okay that's fair. But then they follow up by accusing ME of being "too far away." When I make the obvious comment that they could move closer, they responded it was my job to stay near them. And I was the "idiot" and the "retard" for "standing on the opposite side of the boss every time."

They also bemoaned how they were busy healing everyone and that SCHs don't have big heals like WHMs. They apparently queued with friends too, because one of them immediately backed her up on her complaints. Worst yet is that this "healer" also got the healing skirt off Cerberus while I got jack and squat.

I was seething. The whole thing gave me a literal headache. I main SCH on Gogon, and I always try and stay in range of the tank (and as much of the DPS as possible, but if you're going to stand on the other side of the room, BLM, that's your problem). At the very least, if I can't stay near the tank for whatever reason (CT Atomos trash pull), I at the very least put my Fairy near them. But nope, obviously I'm the bad tank for assuming the healers were going to, y'know, heal me.

Then my FC got a full group together for one last WoD run where we goofed off, joked, and had a jolly ol' time. And the tank chest dropped to top it all off. So a happy ending to this rant. Coral's a pretty awesome FC, you guys. Big Grin

RE: The Vent Tent - Poor PuGs and Other Terrible Tales - Parvacake - 02-17-2015

To compliment Chacha's story, I have a WoD dealio too!

However, mine doesn't have a happy ending.

I had yet, in the near month this had been out, had a bad group. A little scuffy. A little poor. But not bad. To top it all off? Literally the only person/thing/entity in this game I despise and think is a waste of space happened to be in the same raid.

I think I got jinx'd.

On the other hand? Never knew a tank's health could drop so low. Good job, random warrior in the High Allagan set!